Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I want a new Crimson Skies game so bad. Also a new The Suffering. I loved the first one. Crimson Skies could easily be an XBLA game for the next gen. Make it a $15-20 download. It was a Microsoft games studio game too which is what I don't understand. It was one of the top XBL games when XBL launched.
I really enjoyed crimson skies. They definitely need to revive that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpqoJfTR3g

looks cool but i hope they have a thing htat just shows a list of people like 360 i don't want to go in all those areas just to invite someone to game/party. my guess is the follow feature is the way the friends list will increase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6UwRitOZU

great new video about live

i still think it's awsome that xbox live is no longer in some ways for just one gamer tag it's for the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pin Ultimate Edition was designed by Penny Arcade and includes the first two pins (Jago and Killer Instinct 3D Logo) from a collection of 16, packed in a premium case that unfolds into a pin display. Start your collection now!
This is a pretty good idea. One of the issues with digital-only products is the lack of tangible possession. A product like this gives collectors something physical that they can purchase and enjoy. (and theoretically, trade) It provides a meaningful incentive for retail purchases of digital products.

awful news about watch dogs that was one of the games i  wanted on day one. my guess is ubisoft did not like the pre order numbers for ac4 and is hoping delaying watch dogs will get people to buy ac4. 

One more reason I'm glad I decided to hold off on next gen for a while.  Just not enough games at launch that personally interest me enough to shell out $400-500 for a console, and $60 a pop for games.  I have more than enough to keep me busy through next spring, if not summer or fall, so I'll wait for more to be out, have more info on how the X1 and PS4 stack up, and can hopefully buy when there's some type of bundle deal, free gift card etc.--worst case some of the launch games will be cheaper by then.

awful news about watch dogs that was one of the games i wanted on day one. my guess is ubisoft did not like the pre order numbers for ac4 and is hoping delaying watch dogs will get people to buy ac4.
Definitely working. I was having a hard time deciding between the two but I guess my choice has been made now.

Xbox One Startup Demo ...looks like you can change the color of the tiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgHpGTHjwjk

Xbox Live Compute

"What that means is not just convenience or multi-device access to content, but a significant extension of the power and scope which the Xbox One can offer developers and players. It means persistent worlds, improved AI, better rendering and dedicated servers for every multiplayer game on the platform. And it's all being offered to developers for free."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-15-the-difference-engine

YB0wmXH.png

It means persistent worlds, improved AI, better rendering and dedicated servers for every multiplayer game on the platform. And it's all being offered to developers for free."
Nothing is really free. If developers tie themselves too completely into the back-end services that Microsoft is providing, it will make it impossible for them to effectively port their titles over to other platforms. By properly taking advantage of the infrastructure Microsoft will provide, developers will be forcing their own exclusivity. Great for Microsoft and the XBox One, but not so great for most developers. (who are usually able to do a lot better with multi-platform titles in the current landscape)

Nothing is really free. If developers tie themselves too completely into the back-end services that Microsoft is providing, it will make it impossible for them to effectively port their titles over to other platforms. By properly taking advantage of the infrastructure Microsoft will provide, developers will be forcing their own exclusivity. Great for Microsoft and the XBox One, but not so great for most developers. (who are usually able to do a lot better with multi-platform titles in the current landscape)
Well, from reports, developer comments etc. the PS4 has more power under the hood, so maybe they could use it to get X1 games equal to PS4 ones. Develop for PS4, and get it running with the same specs etc. on X1 using the back-end services. I admit I know little about how this stuff works though. *shrugs*

Well, from reports, developer comments etc. the PS4 has more power under the hood, so maybe they could use it to get X1 games equal to PS4 ones.
It's not likely. The kind of functionality they are talking about is on-line services, powered by dedicated servers. This is the Cloud that Microsoft keeps trumpeting. Even if the PS4 does prove to have greater processing power, it can't brute-force its way past these kinds of features.

At the same time, it is dangerous for Microsoft to try to hang too much of their system on Cloud-based features. While Sony doesn't have an existing farm of servers it's pitching to developers, there's nothing stopping third parties from rolling their own solution on the PS4. Anyone else could replicate the features Microsoft is touting down the line.

I don't fault Microsoft for this strategy, it's a sound approach. Valve has been employing a similar strategy for years on Steam, and look where it's gotten them. Getting developers and customers alike to buy into your on-line infrastructure by providing exclusive features is a really good idea. The challenge is going to be convincing developers to use those features in meaningful ways. With the current fractured nature of the market, it is much less advantageous for most developers to tie themselves down to a single hardware platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnQmvHsv5Tc#t=110

xbox 360 dvr just got more cool unlike most haters were saying oh it only recs 30 secs of end of game play before end of even you cna say xbox record and it records the last 30 secs from that time for 30 secs. kinect sounds super cool im so pumped to get my hands on this kinect as a tech geek is awsome.

i think it's awsome that ms is coming out with all this info about their system and getting me really crazy for it.  Thats the thing about ms they are just like apple they know how to show off their products and doing it while the other guy is being pretty tight lip about their system.

What word should be used, then, to describe someone who repeatedly comes to a thread for a console they have no intention of buying with the specific purpose of trolling?

The DVR features on both consoles seem pretty robust. I couldn't care less personally as I have zero interest in saving or sharing game footage.

I'm totally back on the fence on what, if any, next gen console to get since canceling my PS4 preorder. Since I'm not planning on buying before next spring at the earliest, and summer or fall more likely, I have plenty of time to wait and see how the consoles pan out in the real world, and how the game libraries are developing, before deciding what to pick up. I have plenty to play on PS3, 3DS and iOS in the meantime. I also want to take more time to way switching to a gaming PC, and even more than that to see if my gaming interest/time diminishes further when I move I with my fiancé in December.

I have $30 in Reward Zone that I want to redeem for a pre-order.  Suggestions?

Call of Duty vs Battlefield (can get $10 RZ cert for pre-order)

- Dead Rising 3 is something I may get with my XBOX POINTS I saved up

Others?

Another day of xbox live week...Machinima app coming exclusively to xbox one. Looks like it'll be next gen walkthroughs/guides where you can snap the video. This can be good for parts where you're stuck and I imagine alot of people will use it for achievement hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc_vUf1C8b8

Major Nelson posted this also "When playing a game, just say "Xbox Switch" or double tap the guide button and the focus immediately switches. It works great."

I have $30 in Reward Zone that I want to redeem for a pre-order. Suggestions?

Call of Duty vs Battlefield (can get $10 RZ cert for pre-order)

- Dead Rising 3 is something I may get with my XBOX POINTS I saved up

Others?
Battlefield 4! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUR5AkArxL0

CheapyD is a big MS guy actually, so it is odd that X1 didn't get added to the forum title and PS4 did.

I hope when the consoles are out the each get their own forum area, with the 360 and PS3 forums remaining as well. But maybe not needed since forum traffic is so slow on CAG anymore.

Got my console paid off, and the Wireless Controller and Play/Charge Kit. Actually, I have two of those controllers on pre-order. One at GS for $80, so I gotta move that credit over to Forza 5 LE. Pumped!

This is a pretty good comprehensive look at the launch line-up as far as exclusives go:

PS4 vs Xbox One: Microsoft bets big on short-but-sweet exclusives
PS4 and Xbox One are just a few weeks away; if you haven’t already made up your mind, now’s the time. In the second of three examinations of the next-gen launch line-up we comb through Microsoft’s small but sweet array of exclusives.

As discussed yesterday, If we’re just going by numbers the PlayStation 4 definitely has the advantage over the Xbox One; it’s fronting over 20 titles the Xbox One does not have – yet – as compared to the dozen on display below.

PS4 is taking a bit of a risk, though, in that its core racer is a new IP, whereas Microsoft has Forza 5 in its stable. That’s going to be a major seller; there’s just no question. Dead Rising 3 is another excellent bet; the series has always traded on how well it utilised current-gen hardware to pack the screen with zombies; the gazillions of undead the Xbox One can power are likely to showcase the increased power of the hardware over the Xbox 360 better than graphics can – at least until optimisations catch up later in the generation.

Otherwise, though, it’s looking a bit grim for the core early adopter – lots of Kinect, family-friendly titles, and free-to-play without the daring break from form Sony has gathered with its indie focus. Of course, there’s the shared line-up, which we’ll delve into tomorrow; there’s a heavy emphasis on multiplayer titles. That’s something the Xbox fanbase is likely to embrace wholeheartedly, importing existing friends lists rather than switching to new hardware and starting afresh. Everyone you know is already on Xbox Live, right? Right.

20131017_dead_rising_3.jpg

Crimson Dragon – One the one hand, it’s from the creator of Panzer Dragoon and something of a spiritual successor to that much-loved Sega franchise. On the other hand, it was announced as an Xbox 360 Kinect title and has been egregiously delayed. Your burning lust for all things Grounding is therefore tempered by concern that we may have another Steel Battalion on our hands; Crimson Dragon was conceived in the same initiative. This downloadable title has been reworked for traditional controls, which is a blessing, and may spawn more complex sequels if successful.

Dead Rising 3 – If you’re German, just skip over this section, would you? I’m sorry. Dead Rising 3 is, as noted above, a perfect showcase for next-gen hardware because what the series has always tried to do has been hampered by current-gen tech; have you seen the Wii version? For this reason we’ll forgive it for graphical comparisons to Uncharted, a current-gen release. We’re looking forward to seeing it in action as Capcom is pretty confident in its product, talk of low frame rates notwithstanding.

Fighter Within – What’s a console launch without something ridiculous and exclusive from Ubisoft? Fighter Within is a Kinect title, described as an “immersive total-body combat experience”. Ubisoft’s long experience with Kinect suggests if anybody can pull this off, it can – but we’re not convinced the tech is ready for motion controlled fighters yet. The online multiplayer might be a laugh, assuming it actually happens. This one’s gone dreadfully quiet.

20131017_ryse_son_of_rome.jpg

Forza 5 – Microsoft’s premiere racing franchise is the only triple-A first-party property the platform holder has brought to the table. It’s going up against Sony’s DriveClub, an unknown quantity, which gives it the advantage of the roaring Forza fanbase. There’s not really that much to say about racers, except that they keep getting prettier and new hardware is a help with that, but Microsoft’s trying anyway: it uses 100% of the Xbox One’s power, apparently.

Killer Instinct – Now here’s something unusual for the conservative Microsoft. A resurrection of beloved fighter franchise Killer Instinct sounds great until you focus on the details; original creator Rare has been reduced to in-house mini-game compilations and motion control tech, leaving development largely to Double Helix Games, a jobbing team responsible for Battleship, of all things. It’s free-to-play – great! – but only one character is free – what? – and it’ll be quite interesting to see how this goes down with core and non-core gamers alike in the months after hardware launch. It does have some interesting tech behind it, though; it will be balanced in-cloud, rather than by patches, and Double Helix has vowed to hit 60FPS.

Lococyle – Twisted Pixel seems to have signed on with Microsoft for the long haul, but given the platform holder funded the Gunstringer and now a game about sentient motorcycles it’s hard to see this as a bad thing. The downloadable title will run you $20 at launch, but recent trailers make it look meaty enough to meet premium pricing.

20131017_forza_motorsport_5.jpg

Peggle 2 – EA isn’t playing favourites this generation; it’s offered exclusive content on both sides of the divide. Xbox One has a slight advantage, though, and one of the contributing factors is serving as lead platform for Peggle 2. Popcap’s magnificent time waster will inevitably come to other platforms, but while it may not charm the core there is a strong contingent of casual consumers out there thinking “I can play Peggle 2 on this multifunction set-top box? This is relevant to my interests.”

Powerstar Golf – I literally know three things about Powerstar Golf: it’s in the Xbox One launch line up; it was developed by Zoë Mode; and it’s about golf. Microsoft hasn’t seen fit to bless us with any further information, which speaks volumes.

Ryse: Son of Rome – I can’t say I’m feeling terrifically confident about this one, chaps. The collective Internet consciousness seems to have forgotten that it has been in the works since 2009 under the codename Kingdoms; was originally announced as an Xbox 360 title for Kinect, has gone through multiple reboots and left a trail of lay-offs in its wake. All these things are true, though, and somehow or other it’s still not ready; Crytek is crunching like a male underwear model to get Ryse: Son of Rome out the door, having shoved in traditional controls and microtransactions.

20131017_killer_instinct.jpg

Zoo Tycoon – Here’s a little behind the scenes gossip for you; Steph and I are both tragic animal lovers and therefore firmly against old-fashioned zoos unless we can play a video game with them and maybe trade zebra foals. Therefore Zoo Tyccon makes us very happy; it’s going to have some pretty rad social aspects which draw on real-life conservation themes. It’s at least the second attempt to bring Zoo Tycoon to consoles, and is also coming to Xbox 360.

Xbox Fitness – Racing game? Shooting game? Free-to-play game? Fighting game? Social game? Sports game? Check, check, check, check, check, check. Well, Jim, I think between us and the third-parties we have this launch stitched up. What’s Nintendo got that we don’t have, eh? Oh, a fitness game? Hmm. Alright. Whip something up with that camera jobbie, get some famous trainers in and make it free during the launch window. Call it – let’s see, Wii Fit, so – Xbox Fitness! Right, good job team, let’s go for a quick smoke and start on the Xbox Two.

Zumba Fitness World Party – You may rubbish Majesco’s mum-friendly rhythm action series but it sells gangbusters. Zumba Fitness World Party is also coming out on Wii, Wii U and Xbox 360 – like Just Dance, it goes wherever there is a strong motion tech install base.

Does anybody have any idea when Kingdom Hearts III will be released? That's the only game I know I'll buy for sure but I don't know what launch titles will hit or miss. I don't want to purchase games off of blind faith, please help CAGs!

Does anybody have any idea when Kingdom Hearts III will be released? That's the only game I know I'll buy for sure but I don't know what launch titles will hit or miss. I don't want to purchase games off of blind faith, please help CAGs!
My best realistic guess: 2016. They still have to finish Final Fantasy 15 first, which has been in development since 2006 as "Versus".

Kotaku because that's what google popped up first:

http://kotaku.com/oh-wow-kingdom-hearts-iii-is-gonna-take-forever-1294071220

I thought Peggle 2 was delayed?

BTW, Zoo Tycoon XB1 version is a Wal-Mart exclusive if you want the disc... before Feb 1st.

IGN has confirmed with Microsoft that upcoming Xbox One launch title Zoo Tycoon will only be available in retail at Walmart for a limited time. It will, however, still be available as a digital download from the Xbox Games Store.
"Zoo Tycoon for Xbox One will be exclusively available at Walmart in the U.S. between November 22, 2013 and January 31, 2014," the company told us. "Customers can also purchase Zoo Tycoon for Xbox One at Microsoft Stores and download the title on Xbox Live.

Microsoft's Xbox One launch just keeps getting better and better. If I knew nothing about games and I wasn't connected to the Xbox in any way there is no way I would be getting an Xbox One anywhere near launch. They can't do anything right, right now. Im glad I'm only paying about $30 out of pocket for my X1, BF4, and the headset. 

http://n4g.com/news/1376111/turtle-beach-announces-extended-partnership-with-microsoft

The Turtle Beach XO 4's and XO 7's won't be launching with the X1. Instead they are launching early 2014. The headset adapter also will not be available until early 2014

I know Ryse gets trashed a lot, but damn, I think this looks good!  Sure, the narration in the trailers sucks, but the gameplay, graphics and even the story look good to me.

http://youtu.be/UJHXTIUFsCA

I know Ryse gets trashed a lot, but damn, I think this looks good! Sure, the narration in the trailers sucks, but the gameplay, graphics and even the story look good to me.

http://youtu.be/UJHXTIUFsCA
Never believe launch game hype until you read the reviews or play it yourself. How many launch games in the history of video games have been fantastic AAA games?

Microsoft's Xbox One launch just keeps getting better and better. If I knew nothing about games and I wasn't connected to the Xbox in any way there is no way I would be getting an Xbox One anywhere near launch. They can't do anything right, right now. Im glad I'm only paying about $30 out of pocket for my X1, BF4, and the headset.

http://n4g.com/news/1376111/turtle-beach-announces-extended-partnership-with-microsoft

The Turtle Beach XO 4's and XO 7's won't be launching with the X1. Instead they are launching early 2014. The headset adapter also will not be available until early 2014
I'm definitely getting one of those headsets. Sucks that they won't be out at launch. I guess I can live without the headset for a few months.

A delay from Turtle Beach is not Microsoft's fault.

Perhaps you missed the part where Microsoft is developing the adapter needed for those headsets to work with the Xbox One? Without the adapter the headsets don't have much use. The delay has nothing to do with TB not being ready. They said they are using it to build supply which is just a bs marketing spin for MS wasn't ready again and we are paying for it. 

Turtle Beach expects to launch the XO FOUR and XO SEVEN headsets for the Xbox One console in the first quarter of 2014. Microsoft has informed its partners in the Xbox One console launch that the Xbox One Headset Adapter, being built by Microsoft and provided to Turtle Beach for inclusion with new gaming headsets, will not be available until early 2014. Both companies will leverage the additional time to build supply to meet anticipated high-demand when the headsets launch. 

Yeah, MS tried to get away with more proprietary BS and people called them on it. They could have been working with Turtle Beach during development to have them ready at launch.

How many launch games in the history of video games not named Mario have been fantastic AAA games?
fixed. ;)

Also, Halo.

ps4 don't support old headsets either so all gamers getting a bad deal by boht companys

Well to be fair Sonic looked amazing for the Wii U, now It's getting craptastic reviews.

The right trailers can hype even the best of turds. I was hyped for Duke Nukem Forever.

The trailers for Colonial Marines were awesome as well, you can never really tell til something's actually out in the hands of the public.

bread's done
Back