Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Yeah I saw that in the stream I watched last night, about the settings being in the My Games and Apps section which does feel a little counter-intuitive. Here's a good show, reminder really, of future titles. Aside from the multiplatform games the key ones I'm looking forward to are Titanfall, Halo, Project Spark, Kinect Sports Rivals and Sunset Overdrive - Peggle 2 and PvZ GW out first on X1 too. It's too bad the games aren't really next gen this holiday season (aside from Forza 5, FIFA 14, Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4 & NBA 2K14 imo) but it def looks like 2014 will produce some sweet next-gen games.

Well I am totally disappointed in the whole TV pass thru thing. Like I said above, its a bummer you can't still just watch your cable box when the units is off. However, I think the Xbox One just doesn' like my Xfinity X1 STB. When I first hooked it all up, it kind of worked, but if I said "watch MTV" or "watch HBO" the channel never changed, even though the Xbox One said it was currently 'watching' that channel.

I turned the system off and came back an hour later. Now the TV video had NO sound and would freeze every 4 seconds. Very frustrated at this point I unplugged and hard reset everything. When I did this to the cable box, all hell with resolution and aspect ratios broke loose. Stretched screens, glitchy screens, cut-off screeens, everything! So I just said screw it, unplugged my BD player and put my cable box thru there, Xbox One on dedicated HDMI as well. Well, then when I went to the cable box input, I had a little tiny image on the center of the screen, still no sound, still freezing. This thing was like a 280p box in the center. I was freaking the f**k out! So, another hard reset to the cable box and thankfully the issue resolved itself.

At least for me, I don't think this TV stuff is ready for prime time. It could be b/c I am using the Xfinity X1 stuff which has a myriad of bugs of its own. I am using a 'satellite' STB, not the actually DVR unit, but I'm not about to switch the boxes out. I'm just going to forget about the TV connection on the Xbox One for now unless its gets improved vastly. Bummer b/c I thought it was going to be a cool feature and the best one to make use of voice commands.

Other than that, IDK, I think the PS4 is better. Over an hour to download a 6gb Forza update AND install it? I had 4 games on the PS4 updated and installed and started first five minutes of in an hour last week..The controller sucks balls, way too small, especially to hit the bumper buttons and the D-pad is so clicky clicky feeling..

Well I am totally disappointed in the whole TV pass thru thing. Like I said above, its a bummer you can't still just watch your cable box when the units is off. However, I think the Xbox One just doesn' like my Xfinity X1 STB. When I first hooked it all up, it kind of worked, but if I said "watch MTV" or "watch HBO" the channel never changed, even though the Xbox One said it was currently 'watching' that channel.
I saw this review...i dont know if it applies to you http://www.geekwire.com/2013/geekwire-xbox-review/

"It’s also important to carefully calibrate your television and any attached devices in the Xbox One settings.

For example, during the setup process, Todd initially identified his cable box as a Comcast box, and the Xbox One wasn’t able to change channels with voice commands. After trying again, and identifying it as an Xfinity X1 box, voice commands worked to change channels"

^^thanks for the tip! I will definitely start looking into it, I mean, I feel like I'm being a bit to harsh for my three hour experience with the Xbox One. I really want to love my system, and I do! Just upset it wasn't a flawless software experience after the hardware/updates on my unit worked perfectly. Can't wait to start Ryse and DR3! 

I turned the system off and came back an hour later. Now the TV video had NO sound and would freeze every 4 seconds. Very frustrated at this point I unplugged and hard reset everything. When I did this to the cable box, all hell with resolution and aspect ratios broke loose. Stretched screens, glitchy screens, cut-off screeens, everything! So I just said screw it, unplugged my BD player and put my cable box thru there, Xbox One on dedicated HDMI as well. Well, then when I went to the cable box input, I had a little tiny image on the center of the screen, still no sound, still freezing. This thing was like a 280p box in the center. I was freaking the f**k out! So, another hard reset to the cable box and thankfully the issue resolved itself.

At least for me, I don't think this TV stuff is ready for prime time. It could be b/c I am using the Xfinity X1 stuff which has a myriad of bugs of its own. I am using a 'satellite' STB, not the actually DVR unit, but I'm not about to switch the boxes out. I'm just going to forget about the TV connection on the Xbox One for now unless its gets improved vastly. Bummer b/c I thought it was going to be a cool feature and the best one to make use of voice commands.

Other than that, IDK, I think the PS4 is better. Over an hour to download a 6gb Forza update AND install it? I had 4 games on the PS4 updated and installed and started first five minutes of in an hour last week..The controller sucks balls, way too small, especially to hit the bumper buttons and the D-pad is so clicky clicky feeling..
You're internet sucks, that's why it took you over an hour to download 6gb.

I downloaded Assassins Creed (20GB FILE) in about a half hour. Definitely your internet.

If you ordered Xbox One games from Amazon keep an eye out for a refund from them. My friend and I both got $11 refunds for our Battlefield 4 orders.

Download speeds were fine for me. I downloaded the Day One update in maybe 10-15 minutes. BF 4 updates and install in 35 or so

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up buying the day one edition of Forza yesterday for $49 on Amazon (had a chunk of credit to use on it as well), even though I cancelled my X1 preorder and won't be getting one till the spring. Figured it was a good price and I want a piece of day one history, lol

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Of course the cable won't work if you have it plugged into your Xbox when it's off. Why would it? Why would you think it would?
In theory, the XBOX should go into a LOW POWER mode and still allow the signal to PASS THROUGH, hence the term PASS THROUGH

I'm still disappointed in the video quality with the TV. That is why I hooked my HDMI back to my receiver directly and by-passed the XBOX. Channel changing was fine, just there was something "off" about the video. Didn't look horrible, but wasn't as good either. Even my wife noticed the picture quality was off, and that's saying something for someone who generally does not care about that stuff.

Just curious is anyone has found a forum gamercard generator that captures Xbox One info yet.  I see that the pic in my profile card is somewhat updated, but it isn't capturing the games I've played.  It's a tiny little thing, but still fun. 

Just curious is anyone has found a forum gamercard generator that captures Xbox One info yet. I see that the pic in my profile card is somewhat updated, but it isn't capturing the games I've played. It's a tiny little thing, but still fun.
The friend feed on TrueAchievements is correctly capturing Xbox One activity, so maybe their gamercards are too. I don't know for sure though.

People who have like 6 xbox ones up for sale on ebay upset me. People who's pictures are from their trunk upset me more. The guy selling his $10 reserve cards for $500 a piece makes me want to punch a kitten. 

In theory, the XBOX should go into a LOW POWER mode and still allow the signal to PASS THROUGH, hence the term PASS THROUGH

I'm still disappointed in the video quality with the TV. That is why I hooked my HDMI back to my receiver directly and by-passed the XBOX. Channel changing was fine, just there was something "off" about the video. Didn't look horrible, but wasn't as good either. Even my wife noticed the picture quality was off, and that's saying something for someone who generally does not care about that stuff.
I'm anal about audio/video quality and my signal doesn't suffer at all through the Xbox. Exact same picture. Dunno if it's your cable company, setup, or maybe HDMI cord?

I'm anal about audio/video quality and my signal doesn't suffer at all through the Xbox. Exact same picture. Dunno if it's your cable company, setup, or maybe HDMI cord?
Ok, I'll have to try again. I'll use a different HDMI cable also. The picture wasn't horrible, it just seemed like a layer was over it or something. I cannot really explain it. The FAQ says to set your cable box to output to 720p, so I'm assuming that the XBOX still has 1080p issues. Although, I know Cable companies do not broadcast in 1080p.

I get ESPN 3 and all that jazz. So are you telling me I cant use my own espn channels through the Xbox One at all?...Guess I have to use the ESPN app to watch ESPN now. That's pretty annoying .
If you're talking about the ESPN *app*, ESPN, ESPN2 might be blacked out depending on your provider...for me, they're blacked out. I use the app for ESPN3 streaming games.

You can get ESPN through your cable/dish box via the TV function just fine, just as you would any other channel.

My ESPN channels are not showing up when stream my cable on my Xbox One. It goes to the channel but nothing ever plays. I have to go to the ESPN App itself to access my ESPN channels now. I don't understand why. They are the only two channels not working.

Let's speculate how long this thing takes to drop in price. I started a fund for one but still don't think it's worth $500 to me.
E3 2014 they'll announce a $50 price drop for probably June or July 2014. Black Friday next year you may see $400 or $425 something like that

I'll also jump on the 50 dollar price drop bandwagon, probably happening within 6 months or so. I have been setting aside 20 bucks or so here and there to save up for it, but I'm not in any hurry.

You do know Microsoft did the same last week, right?
No, but I just said that more in combination with what I've seen from that Shu Yoshida guy over the last month or so. Has been very complimentary and respectful of the Xbox team on multiple occasions. A far cry from their "people will gladly get a second job to afford our console" / "next gen doesn't start until we say it does" attitude of the PS3 launch.

Yeah Yoshida seems like a decent dude this go-round. And both companies have been nice to each other on the launch dates.

I honestly don't get the fighting. These systems will both be successful and I love the Xbox One. I'm sure people love their PS4's and I'm sure it's a great machine.

Peace and lovvveee, peace and LOVE.

Yeah, I'm just glad the stuff appears to be selling okay on both sides. A lot of people were thinking consoles might be dead at this point. I like the PC just fine, but I sure as hell don't want a PC-only/mobile-only future.

My ESPN channels are not showing up when stream my cable on my Xbox One. It goes to the channel but nothing ever plays. I have to go to the ESPN App itself to access my ESPN channels now. I don't understand why. They are the only two channels not working.

E3 2014 they'll announce a $50 price drop for probably June or July 2014. Black Friday next year you may see $400 or $425 something like that
My fund is at $100 right now with $10 a pay check going directly into the account set aside for exactly this purpose. I'll be happy if I can get the console, halo, and a year of live for $450.

Yeah, I'm just glad the stuff appears to be selling okay on both sides. A lot of people were thinking consoles might be dead at this point. I like the PC just fine, but I sure as hell don't want a PC-only/mobile-only future.
I don't see consoles dying at all. People like to get all doomy and gloomy but there is no way. PC is way to select as far as pushing the limits when it comes to graphics and most people don't want to keep up with that. Most people just want to buy something once and have it work for 7-10 years without having to do anything to it

Anyone have trouble with 'Xbox On'? All of the other voice commands are pretty spot on, but I've only gotten it to come on once. PSU light is on, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

, Finally decided, on my way home with Forza 5, I'll keep the Xbox if it works. I have a lot of MS $$ and points to use

Ok, I'll have to try again. I'll use a different HDMI cable also. The picture wasn't horrible, it just seemed like a layer was over it or something. I cannot really explain it. The FAQ says to set your cable box to output to 720p, so I'm assuming that the XBOX still has 1080p issues. Although, I know Cable companies do not broadcast in 1080p.
i can tell you xbox one don't have output issues seeing it outputs to my tv at 1080 p and games look amazing so yeah not a issue. Most cable boxes only output at 720/1080 i any ways.

I don't know if it's the way I say it but I can rarely get my Xbox to recognize "Switch". Everything else I say it seems to recognize fine. Am I missing something or is there really no way to switch with a controller?

I don't know if it's the way I say it but I can rarely get my Xbox to recognize "Switch". Everything else I say it seems to recognize fine. Am I missing something or is there really no way to switch with a controller?
if you're talking about switching from/to a snapped app, you can double tap the xbox button on the controller.

Loving the new system. Actually loving both new systems since I broke down and got both at launch. Will be doing my multi platform on the PS4 but like the exclusives coming out for the XBOne so I figured it was worth it since it's bonus check month. 

One thing I did not know about the One is the addition of the time limited challenges for games to earn prizes like titles and avatar items. I love that idea. Of course I am also pissed now since I am leaving to spend the holiday week with my wife's parents and will have to miss out on the launch week ones. I should have waited until after I got back to set it up then I would not have even know about it until after the fact. 

I really want the Grim Reaper Head from DR3  :cry:

I don't see consoles dying at all. People like to get all doomy and gloomy but there is no way. PC is way to select as far as pushing the limits when it comes to graphics and most people don't want to keep up with that. Most people just want to buy something once and have it work for 7-10 years without having to do anything to it
not to mention pc graphics card are not cheap at all , you have to keep up to date with the latest graphics card in order to run the newer releases on pc.

not to mention pc graphics card are not cheap at all , you have to keep up to date with the latest graphics card in order to run the newer releases on pc.
To be fair if you're spending $200 every 2-3 years for a decent graphics card that works itself out to a little more than the price of a new game per year. And seeing how pc games are $10 cheaper on average and go on sale so frequently it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

To be fair if you're spending $200 every 2-3 years for a decent graphics card that works itself out to a little more than the price of a new game per year. And seeing how pc games are $10 cheaper on average and go on sale so frequently it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
most of my friends who are exclusively pc gamers switches out their graphics card every year. LOL

Edit: the newest relase/ high end graphics card can cost upwards of $400+

Anyone else notice the avatar gear missing? I went to edit my guy on the One and all the gear I've gotten over the years are gone. Guess the only way to get them is go back to the 360 or online w/ PC. Weird.

So I stopped into BBY tonight to do a trade about 45 min to closing time.  Sitting on the floor behind the counter was 7 Day One Xbox Ones.  I asked the guy what the deal was with them and he said they were reserved but starting in the morning tomorrow they would be released to the public.  I am tempted to try and get one but I swore I would wait at least a year.  I was surprised to see 7 of them though.

Side note: Best Buy needs to clean up there game department.  They had some many empty display boxes from the lead up the release that it was hard to tell what was real and if there were systems for sale.

most of my friends who are exclusively pc gamers switches out their graphics card every year. LOL
Edit: the newest relase/ high end graphics card can cost upwards of $400+

That's stupid to swap out every year.

it is i only change mine every 2-3 years

SLI it. Then when a card that comes out can beat both sell them and go to a single card. Rinse and repeat.

No matter your setup, your frequency in upgrading, the pc tech market is advancing in exponential terms so if you have the money to keep up game on, if not buy a PS4, Xbox One or Wii U lol.

So I stopped into BBY tonight to do a trade about 45 min to closing time. Sitting on the floor behind the counter was 7 Day One Xbox Ones. I asked the guy what the deal was with them and he said they were reserved but starting in the morning tomorrow they would be released to the public. I am tempted to try and get one but I swore I would wait at least a year. I was surprised to see 7 of them though.

Side note: Best Buy needs to clean up there game department. They had some many empty display boxes from the lead up the release that it was hard to tell what was real and if there were systems for sale.
not surprising, my two local bestbuy stores where i usually do trade ins, still have a few ps4, and day on xbone , and non-day one edition on the floor for non-preorder sale.

bread's done
Back