Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I really liked Reach but thought ODST was just okay.

Uncharted 2 is where it is at. I just recently played it last year for the first time and the game still holds up when I was playing it. If you get the chance, you should try Uncharted 2 even if you didn't like Uncharted 1. The improvement is a big night and day difference. I only played the Uncharted series for the first time last year after completing The Last of Us. Wanted to see what the fuss was about. Uncharted 2 was really good, 1 was meh, and 3 I never finished it. 3 felt really off.
I agree that Uncharted 2 is probably the best of the series. The huge set pieces were amazing, I'll never forget fighting along the moving train. It's kinda similar to how Assassins Creed 2 was greatly better than the first one. The first one was just the idea, but they made it better the second time around.

Every Uncharted game has had a supernatural element in them. They aren't really needed but I can see how they can go with the story. Sort of like the supernatural elements in Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones.

Since this is the Xbox Thread, I've never been into Halo. I may favor PS4 over Xbox One, but last gen I preferred 360. I was also a huge supporter of the OG Xbox. Halo just never appealed to me. I've heard Halo 2 is better then 1, similar to the games I've mentioned above.

Honestly when comparing exclusives from each company, personally I see Microsoft with more multiplayer/online experiences while Sony seems to favor single player experiences. Obviously there has been a few exceptions for each company, and it seems like Xbox is having more single player exclusives this gen. Being that I'm not really into multiplayer, that's probably why I've never played much Halo.

lol deader talking about having it out for someone. Really dude, following me around the site and reporting everything I was posting. I had to stop using the site for a while because I thought I was going to be banned. I went back and looked, you were posting in every thread I was posting in trying to start shit. Get a life dude, I wasn't even talking to you or about you, but you come out with your panties all in a bunch.

While I sink a lot of time into multiplayer, I love the story a lot and play though it multiple times over.

lol deader talking about having it out for someone. Really dude, following me around the site and reporting everything I was posting. I had to stop using the site for a while because I thought I was going to be banned. I went back and looked, you were posting in every thread I was posting in trying to start shit. Get a life dude, I wasn't even talking to you or about you, but you come out with your panties all in a bunch.

While I sink a lot of time into multiplayer, I love the story a lot and play though it multiple times over.
Oh thats right. You were the dude who mistook me being active on these forums as stalking you. Timbo accused me of that too lol. Im sure most in this very thread will tell you that im not "following you around" just that im very active in post in many different threads.

The whole Noble team was way more interesting than Master Chief.
Oh right like that one dude with the skull on his helmet and always had a beef with everyone with his knife drawn not saying a thing. Way more interesting.

The Chief's biggest draw is Cortana, this back and forth with the AI character is way more developed as a character and meaningful story. The Chief also has no face, he's an avatar for the player. There's things missing for others to relate to him but there's still a solid amount of character and exposition.

Oh right like that one dude with the skull on his helmet and always had a beef with everyone with his knife drawn not saying a thing. Way more interesting.

The Chief's biggest draw is Cortana, this back and forth with the AI character is way more developed as a character and meaningful story. The Chief also has no face, he's an avatar for the player. There's things missing for others to relate to him but there's still a solid amount of character and exposition.
Okay except for Emile. Totally forgot about him because he was dull. Cool armor but dull character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which should be surprising to no one. Any game coming out for the Xbone/PS4 now should not also come out on the last gen systems.
I agree! There's very few games that worked pretty good cross gen, but for the most part, I feel they hold the newer versions back some. Starting this year, we should start seeing more games coming out XB1/PS4 only. I heard a few games(Shadow of Mordor, Watch Dogs) had issues in their last gen versions. With Dying Light and Batman next gen only hopefully others follow. I don't remember there being this many cross gen games when the 360 came out. And without the newest games coming to the older systems, more people will start to purchase the newer consoles.

Yeah, Over the Air Broadcast coming to Xbox One, if only I had this in my boondock location lol.

http://majornelson.com/2015/04/08/tv-on-xbox-gets-more-versatile-with-over-the-air-tuner-for-the-u-s-and-canada/

When I was living in civilization in NC I used the leaf HD antenna, it was amazing and fairly inexpensive. All you'll need is the tuner and a HD antenna.
WTF are you doing now, living in a cave with a hand-crank generator at the top of the mountain with cell phone Internet? ;)

NHL 15 is the newest game added to the EA Access Vault.

Go figure, just bought my friend(who's a huge NHL fan) a Xbox one and NHL 15 last week. Could have saved some money. I gotta say EA Access has been a pretty impressive app/service. The games are fairly new that have been added. It's too bad Sony passed on it, since most of my gaming is done on Playstation. At least now I can jump on and play it with my friend though.

WTF are you doing now, living in a cave with a hand-crank generator at the top of the mountain with cell phone Internet? ;)
The ironic thing is they stopped laying cable 2 miles from our farm house. All the other towns around me have TWC. It's a real fuck/retarded/stupid situation that nobody cares about a few houses on a lake road. There's a rich guy near the lake on another dirt road who yeah they put high speed Internet in for him. Smh

The ironic thing is they stopped laying cable 2 miles from our farm house. All the other towns around me have TWC. It's a real fuck/retarded/stupid situation that nobody cares about a few houses on a lake road. There's a rich guy near the lake on another dirt road who yeah they put high speed Internet in for him. Smh
I know how you feel man, I live on a farm that has fiber lines buried within a mile of it and yet all we can get here is shitty DSL.

I know how you feel man, I live on a farm that has fiber lines buried within a mile of it and yet all we can get here is shitty DSL.
Only thing we have is a Verizon Jetpack with a custom tier of 10GB, yea sucks.

I've been bringing my Xbox to my aunt and uncl'es house to download updated, discounted & free games with gold. Smh

Only thing we have is a Verizon Jetpack with a custom tier of 10GB, yea sucks.

I've been bringing my Xbox to my aunt and uncl'es house to download updated, discounted & free games with gold. Smh
Not sure if you are aware of this, but people sell or rent Verizon jet packs with unlimited data plans or they sell their unlimited data plans to use with any device, though you really missed out because last October people were giving them away. Verizon has made a transfer much harder since then and prices have skyrocketed, but anyway you can watch this forum here, or check ebay.

If that leaked video was the actual gameplay, it's probably best it got canceled or at least delayed because it would flopped harder than Too Human.

Who takes a contract for one, accepts, then after concedes to unreasonable demands without altering it? Not that Microsoft is the good guy in this story, but wow. Have they never done contract work before?

I read that story and while it's not impossible that Microsoft screwed them over for no reason, I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story. Naturally they're going to claim that the game itself was perfect and everyone loved it.

Who takes a contract for one, accepts, then after concedes to unreasonable demands without altering it? Not that Microsoft is the good guy in this story, but wow. Have they never done contract work before?
An up and coming studio that wanted to prove they could make games. You can't really blame this for any of it. Microsoft gave them a budget to make an online only game. Then they started to demand more things and wanted an AAA game made on an indie budget.They also showed a CGI video at E3 that no one from the company even knew was made. Then there was the whole "JRPG with 30 hours of game play" thing they threw around.

[quote name="Deader2818" post="12636250" timestamp="1428882224"]An up and coming studio that wanted to prove they could make games. You can't really blame this for any of it. Microsoft gave them a budget to make an online only game. Then they started to demand more things and wanted an AAA game made on an indie budget.They also showed a CGI video at E3 that no one from the company even knew was made. Then there was the whole "JRPG with 30 hours of game play" thing they threw around.[/quote]
Which is crappy, but there are contracts for these things. Sounds like they signed the worst contract on earth.

I mean, at your job, would you let your customer change the price of services without consequence? That's what happened here. And it seems they just went with it, hoping it'd work out.

Which is crappy, but there are contracts for these things. Sounds like they signed the worst contract on earth. I mean, at your job, would you let your customer change the price of services without consequence? That's what happened here. And it seems they just went with it, hoping it'd work out.
Honestly they were fucked no matter how you look at it. The end result would be the same no matter what since Microsoft wanted more out of the project without wanting to spend more.

If you say "we will give you 5 million to make this type of game" but then say "ok we want you to add x y and z to the game as well but wont give you any more money" what do you do? Seems like if they just said they couldnt do it the game would have just been cancelled earlier. Mircosoft knows what it costs to make games, they cant expect them to all all this other stuff in and keep the cost the same.

[quote name="Deader2818" post="12636335" timestamp="1428887222"]Honestly they were fucked no matter how you look at it. The end result would be the same no matter what since Microsoft wanted more out of the project without wanting to spend more.

If you say "we will give you 5 million to make this type of game" but then say "ok we want you to add x y and z to the game as well but wont give you any more money" what do you do? Seems like if they just said they couldnt do it the game would have just been cancelled earlier. Mircosoft knows what it costs to make games, they cant expect them to all all this other stuff in and keep the cost the same.[/quote]
You say "I'm going with our original deal." You don't just go with it. Contract employees have things in place for that, unless they failed at original negotiations. In which case, bad on Microsoft but also really bad on the dev studio that let it happen and didn't prepare for the eventual outcome.

[quote name="Deader2818" post="12636385" timestamp="1428889732"]So you think they could have simply just said "no" and they would be like "ok just keep doing what you're doing"[/quote]
Yes, if they had negotiated the contract properly. It appears they were idiots and didn't though. Just saying, I've done contract work. That is commonplace. Everyone wants stuff for free. Which is why you negotiate the initial contract to cover your ass. Product changes? Prices change accordingly.

I dunno, honestly seems if they had said that they would have just canned the game anyways.

But, you seem to want to think its all on Darkside and not Microsoft and I simply don't agree with that.

That Microsoft commissioned a fancy CG trailer that misrepresented the scope of that project at E3 without at least most of the team knowing about it is the crazy part. The diehard fans would've been pissed to expect a game of much higher quality than what they would've gotten for $5 million, especially when Ken Lobb seemed to be referencing it as a 30 hour JRPG during an interview on a podcast. That amount of money is in the ballpark of a higher tier indie title and less like what it seemed to be from that trailer.

You guys might think the Darkside people are colossal idiots for keeping the project going when they saw that Microsoft was going to push for a bigger game for the same money, but this was a studio that had only assisted other studios on their games (Gears of War Judgment, Sunset Overdrive, etc) and wanted to move beyond that to show that they were capable of bigger and better things. They got a chance to make a game for a platform holder and saw that as their big break, which made them less likely to push back on Microsoft's demands unless they got more money or just bail on the project outright because it became a passion project. Obviously, the smarter move would've been to do a smaller scale indie project that the team could handle and get funded by a smaller indie publisher that would give them more freedom to do what they wanted. Going from port/supplementary work to a big publisher game seems like too big of a leap for that sort of studio with the way the project started with them picking an IP off of a list.

Microsoft's never going to talk about their side of the whole thing. If the project was on such shaky ground, I don't even know why they announced it when they did other than for gamer cred, which would explain why it was an outsourced trailer that had nothing to do with the actual project that was in development. If this was all done on the down low and cancelled in secret because it wasn't up to their snuff, there would've been no real backlash about that. Microsoft brought it all onto themselves for not being as hands-on with the game as they could've been to help Darkside make the game everybody wanted with some Microsoft people on the team as incubators.

[quote name="Deader2818" post="12636400" timestamp="1428890482"]I dunno, honestly seems if they had said that they would have just canned the game anyways.

But, you seem to want to think its all on Darkside and not Microsoft and I simply don't agree with that.[/quote]
They'd of canned the game before it started and Darkside stays doing what they were doing. In which case, they win because no lay offs and they stay afloat.

I'm guessing Microsoft setup the contract, and Darkside bought the dream that it'd work in their favor. But they knew the contract was against them and hoped and hoped. That or they worked against the terms of the contract, which is still their fault.

Now, did Microsoft setup a contract to screw them? Possibly. I'm curious who ended up with all the assets that were made in the end.

The first trailer at E3 looks pretty cool, but the actual gameplay does not look that good at all. Maybe it was a good thing it got cancelled.

So I sat down to play an Xbox One game for the first time in a while, Forza Fast and Furious.  Anyway I unlocked all the achievements, but 2 of them are stuck on "Done! Unlocking..."  I searched google and this seems to be a pretty common problem on the Xbox One since launch and hasn't been addressed in all the numerous updates.  Anyone else experience this?

They'd of canned the game before it started and Darkside stays doing what they were doing. In which case, they win because no lay offs and they stay afloat. I'm guessing Microsoft setup the contract, and Darkside bought the dream that it'd work in their favor. But they knew the contract was against them and hoped and hoped. That or they worked against the terms of the contract, which is still their fault. Now, did Microsoft setup a contract to screw them? Possibly. I'm curious who ended up with all the assets that were made in the end.
Microsoft did because its their IP.

[quote name="RiPPn" post="12636564" timestamp="1428901796"]So I sat down to play an Xbox One game for the first time in a while, Forza Fast and Furious. Anyway I unlocked all the achievements, but 2 of them are stuck on "Done! Unlocking..." I searched google and this seems to be a pretty common problem on the Xbox One since launch and hasn't been addressed in all the numerous updates. Anyone else experience this?[/quote]
It happens from time to time. If I remember right, it just means that it's unlocked, but hasn't synced up online to your profile. It should sync up usually within 24 hours.

Microsoft did because its their IP.
Not necessarily. They own the IP, but they don't necessarily own the work that was done for it. Meaning Darkside could possibly release the game still by tweaking the game to not violate the IP aspects. But again, that comes down to how the contract was written.

So I sat down to play an Xbox One game for the first time in a while, Forza Fast and Furious. Anyway I unlocked all the achievements, but 2 of them are stuck on "Done! Unlocking..." I searched google and this seems to be a pretty common problem on the Xbox One since launch and hasn't been addressed in all the numerous updates. Anyone else experience this?
I'm currently waiting on an achievement in Child of Light that's in this state. It's also happened to me in Destiny a couple of times. Nothing to do but wait it out apparently. It's aggravating though.

The first trailer at E3 looks pretty cool, but the actual gameplay does not look that good at all. Maybe it was a good thing it got cancelled.
That's because Microsoft commissioned the trailer from a third party that was based on fantasy and not the actual game that was being produced on the cheap.

So I sat down to play an Xbox One game for the first time in a while, Forza Fast and Furious. Anyway I unlocked all the achievements, but 2 of them are stuck on "Done! Unlocking..." I searched google and this seems to be a pretty common problem on the Xbox One since launch and hasn't been addressed in all the numerous updates. Anyone else experience this?
During the Forza 5 free weekend last fall, I unlocked a handful of achievements. Most popped right away. However, 2 achievements I earned are still displaying as "Done! Unlocking..." 6 months later.

If you didn't catch it last night or don't have HBO, the first episode of Season 5 of Game of Thrones is free for all Xbox Live member until April 16th.

I visited my family with high speed internet, lol, so I was able to finish downloading the April games, games I picked up on the cheap, updates and importing over my old Borderlands characters. Everything carried over, I have so much Badass Rank and Golden Keys hahaha.

bread's done
Back