Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Coper3000']This thread will really get good if they unveil the price soon![/QUOTE]

my prediction is 400-500 bucks and alot lower with live sub for two years maybe low as 200 bucks

ithink ps4 and x1 will be close in price if not the same

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']The only positive to the whole "code" BS with previously owned games I can think of is that it should cause the price of new games to drop quicker.

Its amazing to me how this industry is the only one where we don't really own anything. Oh gee, I buy a game and I have "permission" to play it. So much for buying a product and being able to do with it as you please.
[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? I own halo 4 and will be able to play it whenever I want for as long as I live(assuming I keep it in good condition and keep a 360) like a movie. Digital content we don't "own" but I think services like Netflix and Steam prove that people don't care owning content. All they want is to be able to access it whenever they want.

As a pc gamer I dont really mind the Xbox One's DRM, its been like this for PC gaming for a long time so its nothing new to me.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']my prediction is 400-500 bucks and alot lower with live sub for two years maybe low as 200 bucks

ithink ps4 and x1 will be close in price if not the same[/QUOTE]

Willing to bet the farm on $599

I think for the first time ever I'm pretty underwhelmed by both Sony AND Microsoft.

The attention to social media and TV is just baffeling right now. I don't want to post my every gamer move to Facebook, and I have no need to stare at fantasy football while I bing search info on jellyfish. I'd gladly enjoy giving all that crap up to at least have my digital media transferred over. Some of this junk is freaking crazy unnecessary.

"XBOX! ON! Track my face while you show me what's on TV!"
"PS4! You can't hear me?! Well I'm pressing your Facebook button to tell everyone I like voice recognition. That'll show ya."

I agree with the other person who said 90% of people complaining will end up buying one. We should all make a pact to revisit this thread 5 years from now and laugh at all the contrived chaos.

:) Guys, it's just games :)

I'm excited to shoot more turrists for 'Merica. Hairy arms and a lean feature straight out of Goldeneye. Now that is innovation. I know, it's multiplatform, but I need an Xbox One so I can watch TV on my console.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']ms already said that they did this conf to focus on the system and what it can do other then games and e3 thye wanted to be all about the games. They could change their mind or just lied about it but that's what they said[/QUOTE]

Back at E3 2010, Microsoft had a special conference just for Kinect. The next day they spent over half the conference talking about Kinect again. Their mission with this new system is that it isn't just about games. E3 will not be just about games for M$. If anything the most talk about games will come from Nintendo.

[quote name='Sinfulfate'] Digital content we don't "own" but I think services like Netflix and Steam prove that people don't care owning content. All they want is to be able to access it whenever they want.
[/QUOTE]

Yep.

For instance, I love reading, but hated having shelves full of books since I rarely re-read anything. So I love my Kindle and couldn't care less about the books being DRMs.

I do own a lot of movies--300 some. But I kind of hate the couple racks full of them, want to get some new ones with doors so they're out of sight etc. So I could see someday selling them all if there are streaming options that gave me access to everything.

I hate clutter. My girlfriend hates it even more. And we'll never have a huge place as we aren't having kids and like being environmentally friendly, so neither of us like hording things.

So the move to digital media doesn't bother me much. I just need to kick my moving buying habit some more, but otherwise I'm all for MP3s, digital books, digital games etc. as I just want access to the content. As I almost never replay a game, so I don't even care about permanent access. I'm just paying a fee to play a game once regardless of whether disc or digital. Though I do like being able to sell the disc to lower the cost some.

[quote name='Josh5890']Back at E3 2010, Microsoft had a special conference just for Kinect. The next day they spent over half the conference talking about Kinect again. Their mission with this new system is that it isn't just about games. E3 will not be just about games for M$. If anything the most talk about games will come from Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

True but is that a bad thing? The xbox, gamecube, and PS2 were the last consoles that were just about games. Having more features then just games is a good thing imo.

I think the price will be $499 which is reasonable IMO. They'll also have some type of subscription or maybe they will team up with cable providers to subsidize the price. A year or two cable contract and a free or $100 dollar Xbox One, something like that. I think I would just buy the console up front unless they have a very enticing deal.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']that never happens on pc with cod[/QUOTE]
It doesn't but then again $59.99 on PC makes PC gamers pissed off. PC is a whole different crowd than console gamers. Imagine this. Xbox One has 1 month exclusive on ANY DLC. So they price it $69.99 on Xbox and $60 everywhere else. It will become you either pay extra to get the DLC early and with people on live, or you pay less and have to wait for DLC.

There are enough diehard CoD Players where $10 isn't anything to them.

[quote name='eliter1']I think the price will be $499 which is reasonable IMO. They'll also have some type of subscription or maybe they will team up with cable providers to subsidize the price. A year or two cable contract and a free or $100 dollar Xbox One, something like that. I think I would just buy the console up front unless they have a very enticing deal.[/QUOTE]

i think if they did a sub thing for like say 200 bucks and pay like 8 bucks a month for live for 2 years i would jump on that offer in heart beat.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']True but is that a bad thing? The xbox, gamecube, and PS2 were the last consoles that were just about games. Having more features then just games is a good thing imo.[/QUOTE]

My post was countering his continuing notion that E3 will be nothing but just games for Microsoft. I don't see that happening.

On a personal level, I just want a system to play games. I have a PC for the internet and a TV for watching TV (no cable for me btw). If it makes a stronger install base I'm fine with it, but I want the main focus to be games.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']True but is that a bad thing? The xbox, gamecube, and PS2 were the last consoles that were just about games. Having more features then just games is a good thing imo.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Especially for someone like me who isn't super into gaming these days but watches a lot of movies, sports and some TV.

The announcement got me more interested as I liked how integrated all that was, the seamless switching between things etc. Again, I'm skeptical it will really work that fast/well--but if it did, that would be a big upgrade to my home theater experience.

[quote name='eliter1']I think the price will be $499 which is reasonable IMO. They'll also have some type of subscription or maybe they will team up with cable providers to subsidize the price. A year or two cable contract and a free or $100 dollar Xbox One, something like that. I think I would just buy the console up front unless they have a very enticing deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if nothing else there will be a subsidized model with a two year Xbox Live contract like they offer for the 360 now.

I don't really want to go back to Cable (Comcast's customer service is awful, DirecTV has always been great to me), but I could be tempted by a bigger discount since I'll always have satellite or cable due to being a huge sports fan and needing ESPN and other channels to get all my games live.

Channel changes take a while--especially if the channels differ in resolution, menu is slow and clunky etc.

Sounds like you have an old DVR. The newer ones are quite responsive and fast....might want to call them and upgrade. If you've been a sub for a while it ought to be free to do so.

I don't want to run my Directv through the Xbox. There will certainly be a degradation of the picture quality -- even if it's a small one, I'll notice it.

Yeah I do not find the added entertainment options to be a bad thing. Especially if the 15 exclusives (8 original IPs) they say are releasing the 1st year are good. It will still play all the games so I am not sure why the added entertainment stuff is a problem. Personally, I would rather have the TV, Sports, and music stuff over any of the sharing functions.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

Yeah, if nothing else there will be a subsidized model with a two year Xbox Live contract like they offer for the 360 now.

I don't really want to go back to Cable (Comcast's customer service is awful, DirecTV has always been great to me), but I could be tempted by a bigger discount since I'll always have satellite or cable due to being a huge sports fan and needing ESPN and other channels to get all my games live.[/QUOTE]
Forgot about that, if they do that for this XBox One, I can see many gamers getting behind this. I might even consider it if my GF gets an Xbox for co-op.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Sounds like you have an old DVR. The newer ones are quite responsive and fast....might want to call them and upgrade. If you've been a sub for a while it ought to be free to do so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I probably should. I've had this one for 3 years.

A lot of it is that I have it set to display channels in native resolution so it lags a bit (with a black screen) when going to channels that differ in resoultion--i.e. 1080i to a 720p channel etc.

I don't want to sign a new contract though as I'll probably be moving in January and always iffy on whether DTV is workable in a new place. And I'd love to go somewhere I could get FIOS.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I don't want to run my Directv through the Xbox. There will certainly be a degradation of the picture quality -- even if it's a small one, I'll notice it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a videophile at all, so I wouldn't care or notice that. Worthwhile trade for me to just be able to say "watch channel" instead of having to fumble around trying to find where a channel I seldom watch is in the guide.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Sounds like you have an old DVR. The newer ones are quite responsive and fast....might want to call them and upgrade. If you've been a sub for a while it ought to be free to do so.

I don't want to run my Directv through the Xbox. There will certainly be a degradation of the picture quality -- even if it's a small one, I'll notice it.[/QUOTE]

i use hdmi pass thur on my home theater system that thing has no decrease in picture quatily so if xbox works the same it should be great.

i might roll with the two year contract of live for a cheaper system i pay for live anyways and if you ad it up if live price don't change and it's like 8 dollers a month it's so worth it. well depends if gamestop offers decent trade in value for ps3 and 360 for hte system which im sure they will.

935659_10200490121909107_1779443660_n.jpg

[quote name='dmaul1114']
For instance, I love reading, but hated having shelves full of books since I rarely re-read anything. So I love my Kindle and couldn't care less about the books being DRMs.[/QUOTE]

My only concern is if anything where to happen to your account that may get you banned then all your games associated to that account may get locked.

Look at the apps in iTunes I remember a while back there was a game that was pulled from the store and and say you bought it apple went ahead and removed it from your iTunes remotely. Now what is stopping Xbox1 from say locking your account thus disabling your access to play your games. Go even further who sets the prices for "used" keys? MS? Look at the pricing structure in place in the XBL marketplace. Hopefully MS will release more news that will benefit the gamers.

[quote name='Shimrra']My only concern is if anything where to happen to your account that may get you banned then all your games associated to that account may get locked.

Look at the apps in iTunes I remember a while back there was a game that was pulled from the store and and say you bought it apple went ahead and removed it from your iTunes remotely. Now what is stopping Xbox1 from say locking your account thus disabling your access to play your games. Go even further who sets the prices for "used" keys? MS? Look at the pricing structure in place in the XBL marketplace. Hopefully MS will release more news that will benefit the gamers.[/QUOTE]

im not going to worry about anything like that till we hear how this is all going to work out. it might not be bad as people are thinking.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']well depends if gamestop offers decent trade in value for ps3 and 360 for hte system which im sure they will. [/QUOTE]

Really?

[quote name='Matt Young']Really?[/QUOTE]

when wii u came out they gave me 130 bucks towards the wii u when i traded in a wii. they gave me like 150 bucks for my org 360 when i traded it in for 360 slim. they do pretty decent deals when you trade toward things

^ That may be the definition of overreaction by Angry Joe. I usually like him but E3 is in 3 weeks. A chill pill is in order.

[quote name='Shimrra']My only concern is if anything where to happen to your account that may get you banned then all your games associated to that account may get locked.
[/QUOTE]

I definitely share that concern with MS given my experience with them when my account was hacked in Fall 2011.

I have two CAG blog posts about it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, if nothing else there will be a subsidized model with a two year Xbox Live contract like they offer for the 360 now.

I don't really want to go back to Cable (Comcast's customer service is awful, DirecTV has always been great to me), but I could be tempted by a bigger discount since I'll always have satellite or cable due to being a huge sports fan and needing ESPN and other channels to get all my games live.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't want cable either unless it's a REALLY good deal. You can get most TV shows on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. I don't watch Football or Basketball so I don't need cable for that. I subscribe to MLB TV, Tennis is very accessible online most of the time, and I have to get creative to watch soccer and boxing because it would be ridiculously expensive to subscribe to every channel I need and even then I wouldn't be able to get everything.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. Especially for someone like me who isn't super into gaming these days [/QUOTE]

One of these days, when I'm really bored, I'm going to go through your post history to see just how many times over the past three or four years you mention that you are not into gaming anymore.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Must watch. You done fucked up MS :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0[/QUOTE]

night of june 11th this guy will be making a video saying HOW awsome microsoft e3 press conf was after they showed 15 new games and 8 new ip's for the system. still puzzles me why people are so upset that microsoft showed up the system specs and what the system can do and sprinkled some games in and are waiting till E3 the biggest gaming event to show off most of the games when most people aroun the world are watching. im happy we now know about the system and can worry about the game at e3. might i add im going to e3 and ms press conf so happy it will be mostly games. I was at last year e3 and almost fell asleep after all the non game stuff they showed.

God, the people who come into threads like this just to say "meh, I'm just a casual gamer so this doesn't bug me" or "meh, I don't really collect games"...just why? Why the fuck are you posting in a hype thread about a new gaming console on a gaming enthusiast site if you don't care that much about gaming?

The difference between this one time use disc bullshit and on demand video is that (in most cases) there is a physical alternative where you can own the video content on physical media. If you want to compare what Microsoft is doing now to a video delivery format, have a look.

EDIT: Also, this is the most glorious thing to read in this thread:
This message is hidden because TimboSliceGB is on your ignore list.

[quote name='iamsmart']One of these days, when I'm really bored, I'm going to go through your post history to see just how many times over the past three or four years you mention that you are not into gaming anymore.[/QUOTE]

LOL

it's a bunch as it ebbs and flows. I'll game a lot for a couple months, then barely touch games for six months. Repeat ad nauseum over the past couple generations.

I'm really in a quandary over whether it's worth getting a next gen console or just tossing in the towel when I clear the 360 and PS3 backlog.

I lean toward getting one console and just buying one game at a time and just buying games after I beat one and am ready to play something else. Even more likely to do that if the 360 TV stuff works as well as they showed as the console would thus get a lot of use even when I'm in a lull where I'm not gaming for a few months.

[quote name='eliter1']Yeah, I don't want cable either unless it's a REALLY good deal. You can get most TV shows on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. I don't watch Football or Basketball so I don't need cable for that. I subscribe to MLB TV, Tennis is very accessible online most of the time, and I have to get creative to watch soccer and boxing because it would be ridiculously expensive to subscribe to every channel I need and even then I wouldn't be able to get everything.[/QUOTE]

College football and basketball are my main interests, so I need cable or satellite so I can buy the sports pack to get the regional channel to get all the games.

Mainly for basketball these days as most of my team's football games are on ESPN or a network.

I can't wait until the Xbox One does banking, eBay, and Craigslist.

Angry Joe was a little more colorful about it, but he definitely got the main points across. Used game fee? If you actually support that, please leave gaming. People need to revolt against that kind of stuff. It's insulting to consumers. Love the comments over at Major Nelson's blog of all the loyal Xbox fans disowning the console.

[quote name='bshirk']I can't wait until the Xbox One does banking, eBay, and Craigslist.[/QUOTE]

well you can order pizza hut on 360 so im sure that stuff will be soon possible

[quote name='MetalSlugger']

EDIT: Also, this is the most glorious thing to read in this thread:
This message is hidden because TimboSliceGB is on your ignore list.[/QUOTE]

why do people feel the need to notice others that they have someone on their ignore list?

[quote name='WolfmanASTN']So it's like PC gaming?[/QUOTE]
except for the part where you have to use disc, pay $60 for a game, have to connect to the internet once a day, can't upgrade your system, can't mode the games, can't have free games, might not get your game patched, ect...

[quote name='Josh5890']My post was countering his continuing notion that E3 will be nothing but just games for Microsoft. I don't see that happening.

On a personal level, I just want a system to play games. I have a PC for the internet and a TV for watching TV (no cable for me btw). If it makes a stronger install base I'm fine with it, but I want the main focus to be games.[/QUOTE]

I agree and I don't plan on using any of the sports or tv stuff but I don't think the entertainment and media features are the main focus nor do they take anything away from the gaming part of the Xbox One. They are there to add value. They showcase them at presentations like this because these kind of features get the casual consumer interested moreso than games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back