Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol @ this fuck trying to get people to go to reddit and be easy on microsoft for pulling this drm bullshit.  Which is in fact, bullshit.  Thus m$ fanboys (myself) get pissed off at microsoft for pulling this shit.

interesting, from what I've read the whole DRM thing is being blown out of proportion (Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM) and lots of half-truths and lies being posted online. But this is Microsoft's fault they need to release a CLEAR explanation of their policies.
Blown out of proportion? My entire county has multiple areas where the cable is out (internet) as a result of the storms yesterday. So now I would have a $500 paperweight, but oh, it plays movies. Deal with it? I think not. The 24 hour check in is ridiculous.
Because absolutely no one has a smart phone these days that works through even hurricanes. /Tether../Check.../Keep on playing.
Last time massive storms ripped through my area cell phones were out for a good 5 days. They're towers and by their very nature are prone to being fucked up by high winds.

with how bad games are on launch with bugs and what not these days who would want to buy a current system without having access to internet the games would be awful.

I understand your upset. I get it. Typically when people are upset they lash out as fast and as furious as they can to everyone associated with said company, to anyone who likes that companies products, and especially to anyone buying that companies products. Can we please just be a little better then that? Just a little?
Honestly I've yet to see any harsh "anti-microsoft" sentiment that wasn't either misconstrued as some sort of personal attack, or wasn't egged on by "pro-microsoft" posters responding with holier-than-thou attitudes smothered in thinly veiled insults in the first place. You don't need the sway of popular opinion to discuss any positive aspects of the Xbox One around here, nor parade around as some e-freedom fighter "fighting the good fight" then try to play the victim when everyone starts gunning for you.

If the majority opinion bothers you that much there's nothing stopping you from ignoring it altogether or moving on to greener pastures. I see plenty of people in these so called "hate" threads going on about their business offering balanced/positive views on the console without making a spectacle of it.

I'm keeping my PS3 just for blus so I don't wear these new consoles out prematurely.
I just have a stand alone bluray player. I'd rather not use consoles for movies as they're more expensive, noisier (maybe the PS4 or X1 will be quieter though) etc..
Even moreso, PS3s (not sure about the slim model) use about 4x-5x more electricity than standard Blu-ray players (and this was reported years ago, compared to current players it might be higher).
Yeah, but it also does a better job than many top selling stand alone players. After my 60gb launch PS3 died I tried out several different players of different brands, and they all had issues. Some struggled to play certain brand new discs and would glitch during playback. Others couldn't load discs because of BD-Live issues. And others were terrible at streaming. Paying a little more for a PS3 was a blessing after dealing with that mess. If you care about having a headache free, reliable player, you won't do much better than the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
most blu ray players come with streaming stuff also. I also got a main blu ray player even if i have ps3. i use netflix,amazin streaming on my led smart tv i just use my game systems for games

Yeah, but it also does a better job than many top selling stand alone players. After my 60gb launch PS3 died I tried out several different players of different brands, and they all had issues. Some struggled to play certain brand new discs and would glitch during playback. Others couldn't load discs because of BD-Live issues. And others were terrible at streaming. Paying a little more for a PS3 was a blessing after dealing with that mess. If you care about having a headache free, reliable player, you won't do much better than the PS3.
Weird. I bought a bargain basement Blu-ray at Costco a few years ago, doesn't even have Netflix or YouTube or anything like that, and have had no issues whatsoever.

Weird. I bought a bargain basement Blu-ray at Costco a few years ago, doesn't even have Netflix or YouTube or anything like that, and have had no issues whatsoever.
Yeah, they were terrible. I had these three units (which were all in the Amazon's top 10 at the time). I'm going to put this in spoilers as it's getting fairly off topic. But some people might be interested.
LG BD670

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OF9XGO/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Panasonic DMP-BD75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGK2JI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samsung BD-D5500

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N85YBA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I returned the first two, and ended up keeping the Samsung, but it still wasn't perfect and after two months, my wife was begging me to buy a new PS3 so our movie nights wouldn't be wasted spending 45 minutes trying to get the disc to load. From the research I did, it was my understanding that certain movies required BD-Live, which often required a certain amount of memory. I even tried putting a 2GB thumbstick in them, but it didn't help much. In case anyone is curious, the movies that gave me trouble were Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Gran Torino, and Circle of Pain (all of which were brand new discs).

_1371234074.jpg

_1371234169.jpg

_1371234242.jpg

:whistle2:k ?

I have a PS3 in my living room and a fairly cheap store brand blu-ray player in the bedroom. The PS3 is FAR superior when it comes to loading and they both have netflix.

Its all fine for me as I will be holding off on buying it for at least 6 months. By then it will al be ironed out.

I really think that M$ put themselves out there and agree or at least can see moving forward as they are.

The one major concern is outage periods. They HAVE to figure something out to be able to play games during outages. I could see them cutting out some audience by basically saying "too bad" to those that can't connect even for a few minutes for a DRM check. But to not address possible outages is just stupid.

I assume M$ has smarter people than I so will see how they tend to address this. Hopefully better

The DRM checks don't just affect people with spotty or no internet. People in the military on deployment are also impacted by this stupid decision. Microsoft also told them to deal with it and get an xbox 360 when asked by the press about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590451
I am unsure about the military portion as I have 6 friends in multiple branches. All of which that could at least get a minute of Internet for a DRM check even when stationed near the front lines.

But again this is only from friends as I am not in any armed services.

The DRM checks don't just affect people with spotty or no internet. People in the military on deployment are also impacted by this stupid decision. Microsoft also told them to deal with it and get an xbox 360 when asked by the press about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590451
I am unsure about the military portion as I have 6 friends in multiple branches. All of which that could at least get a minute of Internet for a DRM check even when stationed near the front lines.

But again this is only from friends as I am not in any armed services.
The post I linked contains the reasons why an xbox one won't work for most military personnel.

Navy Lt. Scott Metcalf was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new Xbox One. Now he’s not even sure if he’ll buy one. Metcalf called that a “showstopper” for any service members who rely on their Xbox for off-duty diversions downrage, in the field, or at sea. Which is to say, just about everyone. And it gets worse for on-the-go troops. The Xbox One:

• Can play only in Xbox One-friendly countries. Even if you’re lucky enough to have a regular, reliable Internet connection while overseas, you’ll have to be in one of 21 countries included in Microsoft’s server network. So, if you’re stationed in, say, Germany, Italy or Great Briatin, you’re good to go. But if you’re based in Japan, Kuwait or Afghanistan, you’re out of luck.
  • Will have region-locked games. Games bought in the U.S. can be activated only in the U.S. That means no more ripping open the latest title that just arrived in a care package from home while you’re deployed. And forget about buying games locally when overseas — if your Xbox Live account isn’t tied to the region when you activate a game, it won’t play.
  • Serious security concerns. Even when the Xbox One is in sleep mode, its built-in microphone can always listen in. It’s a feature developers say will provide quick voice-command access to games and apps — but that could spook commanders who might worry the always-connected device could also capture more than just idle chit-chat among troops.

“This is shameful, says Joel Hruska, a writer for Extreme Tech website. “Telling troops that you ‘empathize’ with them is both embarrassing and hands Sony perfect ammunition.”

“Do I think Microsoft is going to change?” writes Hruska in a recent post. “Honestly, no. The remarks that’ve come out to date paint a picture of a company that’s so drunk on its own Kool-Aid, they aren’t listening to outside criticism or commentary any longer.”

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345338828606812160

Xbox Support ‏@XboxSupport1

@dohertymark If your account is banned, you also forfeit the licenses to any games that have licenses tied to it as listed in the ToU. ^AC
More bad news... maybe?

Xbox One may not be able to be sold used
I don't see it possible for them to stop you from selling the hardware. Seriously, there absolutely no way to justify any kind of "you're licensing it" bullshit on hardware. If they could do that then every company would and you wouldn't even own the clothes on your back.

interesting, from what I've read the whole DRM thing is being blown out of proportion (Xbox and PS4 will end up having same DRM) and lots of half-truths and lies being posted online. But this is Microsoft's fault they need to release a CLEAR explanation of their policies.
Blown out of proportion? My entire county has multiple areas where the cable is out (internet) as a result of the storms yesterday. So now I would have a $500 paperweight, but oh, it plays movies. Deal with it? I think not. The 24 hour check in is ridiculous.
Because absolutely no one has a smart phone these days that works through even hurricanes. /Tether../Check.../Keep on playing.
Dude, I have shit reception IN MY fuckING HOUSE. I usually have to walk outside and I live in St. Louis, it's not some rural area. I couldn't tether shit. I doubt I'm an exception. Dead spots are everywhere.
Because these people can't walk to somewhere with good cell phone reception?

/Ashane

@dohertymark If your account is banned, you also forfeit the licenses to any games that have licenses tied to it as listed in the ToU. ^AC
Just as I suspected.

IMO the XBone is nothing more than a PC running a MS clone of Steam.
I've never been banned or even suspended from Live but the very fact that they can take away all your games and give you no appeals process is simply another deal breaker. They have so many.

Just as I suspected.

I've never been banned or even suspended from Live but the very fact that they can take away all your games and give you no appeals process is simply another deal breaker. They have so many.
Damn... Xbox Accounts have been hacked as well. I suspect that there will end up being a class action lawsuit against them in a couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cLmKpV0i8t4#!

Just as I suspected.

Damn... Xbox Accounts have been hacked as well. I suspect that there will end up being a class action lawsuit against them in a couple of years.
That's actually a really good point. It happens quite a bit.

Just as I suspected.

Can't...you waive your rights to a class action lawsuit in the terms of service. I think I read somewhere that Sony also has this in their terms since they got hacked (I could be wrong though)

Just as I suspected.

Can't...you waive your rights to a class action lawsuit in the terms of service. I think I read somewhere that Sony also has this in their terms since they got hacked (I could be wrong though)
I think simply logging onto the service requires you to agree to a waiver. I don't think it's a choice. The legality of that waiver is up in the air though. Last I heard it may not be something that can hold up in court.

More bad news... maybe?

I don't see it possible for them to stop you from selling the hardware. Seriously, there absolutely no way to justify any kind of "you're licensing it" bullshit on hardware. If they could do that then every company would and you wouldn't even own the clothes on your back.
I just find it odd that such a simple question received a "no comment" reply....

Love that every new update on the system fucks me, the consumer, even more. Pisses me of that I payed for years of live on both Xbox systems and never owned a ps system until I bought a ps3. Picked the wrong team I guess. Live and learn.

Love that every new update on the system fucks me, the consumer, even more. Pisses me of that I payed for years of live on both Xbox systems and never owned a ps system until I bought a ps3. Picked the wrong team I guess. Live and learn.
Eh, I don't think you picked the wrong team. I have a 360 and a PS3 and I think the 360 was the right team. I and many others just think that's changing. The Xbox One doesn't have backwards compatibility so none of your 360 games will work on it SO you'll have to keep your 360 anyway. That means that there's absolutely no reason to not switch. In other words, if it was backwards compatible, an argument could have been made that you could buy the X1, get rid of your 360, and put the X1 in the spot on your TV stand where your 360 is and it will run both types of games. That's the case with the Wii U which I plan to eventually replace my Wii with. The X1 and PS4 being completely incompatible with the previous generation makes all the gamers on those consoles free agents (to keep with your team metaphor).

More bad news... maybe?

I just find it odd that such a simple question received a "no comment" reply....
But they did answer...obviously the media article left that out

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2/status/344931872557658112

as for the banned stuff:

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345735157279498240

More bad news... maybe?

as for the banned stuff:

Thanks for the link, I wasn't able to find the direct tweet since the article didn't link it.

More bad news... maybe?

as for the banned stuff:

Comedy gold here.

1. Simon Valentine ‏@SValentino92 1h
    @XboxSupport1 is it true if you get banned you can't play any of the games in which you bought ?

@SValentino92 Well we have no info on Xbox One, but with Xbox Live, if your account is permanently banned, you lose the digital content. ^CW

1. aaron sheridan ‏@xXMUFCAARONXx 1h
    @XboxSupport1 @SValentino92 is it true that the ps4 is better?

2. Xbox Support ‏@XboxSupport1 1h
    @xXMUFCAARONXx Well that's really a value statement, it's hard to say if it's true or false. Depends on what you want.

Talk about overkill. 90% of the time XBL ToS bannings are an open and shut "don't bother crying about it later" case. Not to mention the ToS itself is so ridiculously broad now you could literally get banned for almost anything for any reason. And yes, they did update it to include all users willingly wave their right to Class Action Lawsuits a couple months after the Sony hack drama was sorted out. Terrible news indeed.

hacking live accounts are not that easy anymore. ms has put in tons of security stuff up that would not make it easy as it used to be. i have my ms email set up so that it can only be accessed on my windows 8 pc gaming computer and my cellphone. if i try to access it from any place else it sends me a text to my phone and have to go enter a certain code

that is pretty low on their end to take away ALL your games if your account is banned that is lawsuit waiting to happen

you guys know how much i have stuck up for ms but at this point i can't do it anymore today i was upset i deleted my day one x1 and kept ps4 now im no longer mad after reading that.

you guys know how much i have stuck up for ms but at this point i can't do it anymore today i was upset i deleted my day one x1 and kept ps4 now im no longer mad after reading that.
Let me put that sentence as a gif.

zOWrYhB.gif

Microsoft is pretty much walking dead if they lost Timbo's support already. :bow:

hacking live accounts are not that easy anymore. ms has put in tons of security stuff up that would not make it easy as it used to be. i have my ms email set up so that it can only be accessed on my windows 8 pc gaming computer and my cellphone. if i try to access it from any place else it sends me a text to my phone and have to go enter a certain code

that is pretty low on their end to take away ALL your games if your account is banned that is lawsuit waiting to happen

We know man. The thing we had been trying to get across to you is that many of us had been fans of the 360 but the policies are simply unacceptable to us. Clearly you were willing to overlook a lot more than many of us but at some point MS is going to have to do the carrot and stick approach instead of what appears to be the stick and stick approach.

Eh, I don't think you picked the wrong team. I have a 360 and a PS3 and I think the 360 was the right team. I and many others just think that's changing. The Xbox One doesn't have backwards compatibility so none of your 360 games will work on it SO you'll have to keep your 360 anyway. That means that there's absolutely no reason to not switch. In other words, if it was backwards compatible, an argument could have been made that you could buy the X1, get rid of your 360, and put the X1 in the spot on your TV stand where your 360 is and it will run both types of games. That's the case with the Wii U which I plan to eventually replace my Wii with. The X1 and PS4 being completely incompatible with the previous generation makes all the gamers on those consoles free agents (to keep with your team metaphor).
... and this is why Microsoft's strategy may ultimately fail. Had they incorporated backward's compatibility (yes I know its expensive and drives up the cost of the XBone), they would've had millions of XB360 users migrating over to the XBone since they could play their old games on it as well. Since the XBone does not have BC, it makes it easier for existing XB360 users to cut the cord with Microsoft and switch over to PS4. I believe this may be a big mistake for MS especially since they are getting all this negative press and feedback on the XBone. If their ultimate goal is to control the family/living room of consumers, they should have considered the vast libraries of XB360 games that have accumulated over the years by users.

... and this is why Microsoft's strategy may ultimately fail. Had they incorporated backward's compatibility (yes I know its expensive and drives up the cost of the XBone), they would've had millions of XB360 users migrating over to the XBone since they could play their old games on it as well. Since the XBone does not have BC, it makes it easier for existing XB360 users to cut the cord with Microsoft and switch over to PS4. I believe this may be a big mistake for MS especially since they are getting all this negative press and feedback on the XBone. If their ultimate goal is to control the family/living room of consumers, they should have considered the vast libraries of XB360 games that have accumulated over the years by users.
It depends. I think the more late arrivals to the system are more likely to change. I know a lot of people who were on the 360 since day one (some even on Live from day one back on the o.g. Xbox) and they aren't going anywhere. They have too many friends in the friends list, prepaid Live cards for years in the future, and probably most importantly are addicted to those ridiculous achievements and their precious gamerscore. Not going anywhere.

zOWrYhB.gif

Microsoft is pretty much walking dead if they lost Timbo's support already. :bow:
Why cause he flip floped harder then John Carey?!

LOVE YOU TIMBO! So don't take offense to that!

All my friends are getting a XB1, or a majority of them. Pre-Orders are still high, just not as high as PS4.

The real test is NEXT holiday. If this thing still sells, then MS is fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cLmKpV0i8t4#!

Just as I suspected.

That's actually a really good point. It happens quite a bit.
Yeah, apparently you're screwed if that happens.

/twitter.com/KillerRamen/status/345744603464474625

http://8bitjerel.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-to-lose-all-of-your-games-on-xbox.html

All my friends are getting a XB1, or a majority of them. Pre-Orders are still high, just not as high as PS4.

I'm actually looking forward to see how well the PS4 and Xbox One does. It would be interesting to see how used games or drm restrictions impact a console.

zOWrYhB.gif

well i have not 360 flip floped im sure down the road i will get x1 maybe next spring or summer to play some of the great first party gams i was able t oplay at e3 and loved. ps4 at launch is the way to go for me until things clear up on how used and sharing will work which sounds like we will not know till after launch. I'm also got things up my sleeve that might land me one of these things for free thanks to work but who knows.

plus msot of the main people i play mp games with on 360 are not getting a x1 or any next gen system at launch so really no need to get a x1.

amazon has day one x1's back in stock looks like alot of people has canceled pre orders or ms gave them more

amazon has day one x1's back in stock looks like alot of people has canceled pre orders or ms gave them more
Larry Hryb@majornelson14h
Just released: more #XboxOne Day One Editions are available for pre-order: MS Store http://mjr.mn/MSStoreDay1 or Amazon http://mjr.mn/Xboxone

View summary
hmm interesting

either demand is higher then they were thinking or production numbers are going to be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back