Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You misinterpret it. The rumor is MS is paying big money to ONLY show the XbOne version. The PS4 version will not be there or mentioned. This is to give the impression that the XbOne is a gamer's console and that the PS4 is t as great as people believe because it "has no games". Basically the rumor is they're trying to deceive people.
Ah, I see. Rest of my post still stands, for one publisher/platform to be able to completely manipulate the entire show is garbage.
Capitalism.

That's Amer'ca baby. Like it or leave it, USA all the way.

Xbox just sent me this email advertising the new xbox one; literally couldn't stop laughing at how much it decides to emphasize games.

"Xbox One was built by gamers, for gamers. The perfect balance of power and performance, Xbox One takes gaming to a whole new level. Stunning realism. Advanced AI that adapts to the way you play. And a new generation of multiplayer that is both smarter and faster. Xbox One is simply the best gaming console we've ever made."

Nothing about TV or apps here :lol:

Yeah and that was the same lines they put on the dashboard during the XBox One reveal.

Guys, just wait a few more days. If MS can't blow our pants off at E3 then we know they have failed.

IT'S OFFICIAL

Xbox One Needs To Connect To The Internet Every 24 Hours For Gaming

"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."
Wow one hour on another console. That's a real kick in the nuts. They could have at least made like 3hrs.

That honestly doesn't bother me that much as my internet is pretty stable and I'd never keep an ISP that wasn't stable as I need it for work and my forum addictions etc. :D  I have no local friends who are gamers, so I'm never gaming on other consoles, so that part doesn't affect me.

My main concern is how limited my options for reselling games will be. I'm not a collector and don't want to buy game discs if I can't sell them easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre e3 info dump...

http://news.xbox.com/

Link below has more links in it with useful info...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features

posted June 06, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Xbox_Consle_Sensr_controllr_F_TransBG_RGB_2013.png

Two weeks ago we introduced Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment device.  Designed for today and the decade ahead, Xbox One puts you at the center of all of your games, TV, movies, music, sports and more.  We also shared how Xbox One is built to amplify a new generation of Xbox Live that’s more powerful, personal and intelligent.

And today, we would like to share more information about our vision for Xbox One as a modern, connected device; our games licensing policies; and our privacy principles for the new Kinect sensor. 

Xbox One will be available later this year and we’ll continue to share more information in the months ahead.

Thank you for joining us on this journey and we look forward to an amazing E3 next week.

Oh I love this.  Underlined part added by me for significance.  More like disable.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers.  Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

So highlights of the game licensing/used games are:

-Trade ins only at participating retailers and up to the game publisher on whether to allow it.

-MS isn't charging any fees for it (but I guess publishers could?)

-Games can be given away once, and only once, to someone who's been on your friends list for 30 days or more.

That's pretty disappointing.  But I'm guessing Sony will have the exact same "up to the publishers" system as MS so we wont' have much choice in the matter (other than people not disenchanted with Nintendo/Wii U).

But some good news for people who were worried about Kinect having to always be on and always listening:

You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences.

It's official. Microsoft has put control over used-games sales on the XBox One in the hands of third-party publishers. The companies that will determine how used games work for the XBox One are Activision and EA.

This is a fine way for Microsoft to wash its hands of the issue. But it is still going to be looking bad for GameStop. (who is DEFINITELY going to pay for this in some capacity)

The rest of the access rules will help to soften the digital-only nature of the console. It is still going to be a fairly significant screw to anyone with limited internet access. If you don't have regularly-connected high-speed internet, forget it.

It's official. Microsoft has put control over used-games sales on the XBox One in the hands of third-party publishers. The companies that will determine how used games work for the XBox One are Activision and EA.

This is a fine way for Microsoft to wash its hands of the issue. But it is still going to be looking bad for GameStop. (who is DEFINITELY going to pay for this in some capacity)

The rest of the access rules will help to soften the digital-only nature of the console. It is still going to be a fairly significant screw to anyone with limited internet access. If you don't have regularly-connected high-speed internet, forget it.
Yep. And it will likely be the same on PS4 with Sony leaving it up to publishers. As has been said repeatedly in the thread, EA wouldn't have dropped online passes if they didn't know they'd have control of used games on both major platforms. I figure they'll just tell the Wii U to pound sand and not put games on it beyond licensed crap for kids.

I do wonder what they'll do for the check ins for people without broadband etc. A modem adapter for dial up? I know they said they'd have some type of exception system for military bases etc., but what about the rural folks with no broadband options still?

Nope. Not buying. fuck them and their shit.
Same to Sony if they do the same or close to it?

Yup.
Fair enough. And kind of a nevermind as I was mixing you up with another poster who's a big Sony fan, where as your the big Nintendo guy. :D

I'm dreading all the back tracking we'll see on here, Neogaf etc. from Sony fans once it comes out that Sony's used game system is the same. And I'd be shocked if it wasn't with EA dropping online passes etc. Maybe they won't have the 24 hour check ins, but I'd be shocked if it was the same system of used games only at participating retailers and up to publishers etc.

Can someone explain this bullet point for me:

• Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
My understanding is that this could create a 10 person sharable account.  Obviously you'd have to coordinate playing times, but other than that it sounds like it would be easy to set up with some trustworthy people.  Am I missing something here?  Seems like they are stressing the words "family members", but how would they prove that?

• Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
My understanding is that this could create a 10 person sharable account. Obviously you'd have to coordinate playing times, but other than that it sounds like it would be easy to set up with some trustworthy people. Am I missing something here?

They need to define the term "shared game library" which they're careful to use over and over again. This isn't simply your "game library".

You misinterpret it. The rumor is MS is paying big money to ONLY show the XbOne version. The PS4 version will not be there or mentioned. This is to give the impression that the XbOne is a gamer's console and that the PS4 is t as great as people believe because it "has no games". Basically the rumor is they're trying to deceive people.
Ah, I see. Rest of my post still stands, for one publisher/platform to be able to completely manipulate the entire show is garbage.
Capitalism.

Thanks Glenn Beck, I needed a reminder of how capitalism works :roll:

• Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
My understanding is that this could create a 10 person sharable account. Obviously you'd have to coordinate playing times, but other than that it sounds like it would be easy to set up with some trustworthy people. Am I missing something here? Seems like they are stressing the words "family members", but how would they prove that?

The line " and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." seems to imply that only one person can be playing something from your library at a time though.

So you wouldn't want to share the account with people outside the house. It's just so everyone in your family can log into their profile and play any games you bought. It can be done on multiple consoles, but likely only one person could be playing any of the games at one time.

IT'S OFFICIAL

"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."
The only wiggle room I see in this is it says "accessing game library". What if you are playing from disc? Maybe the same maybe not

From what I read, I'm pretty disappointed at how "used" games are going to work on X1. I'm a huge backer of the xbox and microsoft, but this just seems blah as a consumer personally. I totally understand why they're doing it from a business perspective. It controls the market the way they want to, but as a consumer that buys used games or trades them back, or sells/buys on ebay. This is just annoying. I'm sure there are ways around it and maybe they will streamline it eventually. But honestly, I just find it annoying. It's things like this that make me want to not even bother with the next generation. Which actually, I wouldn't mind since I have such a fucking gigantic backlog of xbox, ps2, and PC games now, haha.  

I'm still going to go to the press conference like a sucker though, can't wait :D

My understanding is that this could create a 10 person sharable account. Obviously you'd have to coordinate playing times, but other than that it sounds like it would be easy to set up with some trustworthy people. Am I missing something here? Seems like they are stressing the words "family members", but how would they prove that?

The line " and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." seems to imply that only one person can be playing something from your library at a time though.

So you wouldn't want to share the account with people outside the house. It's just so everyone in your family can log into their profile and play any games you bought. It can be done on multiple consoles, but likely only one person could be playing any of the games at one time.
No, they can all play games in your "shared game library". Not your "game library". If publishers get to decide if a game can go in that library then it will be pretty barren. I'm assuming publishers get to decide on a game by game basis and that you can only have a limited number of games in there at one time. They've basically handed the keys over to the publishers.

IT'S OFFICIAL

The only wiggle room I see in this is it says "accessing game library". What if you are playing from disc? Maybe the same maybe not
I'm pretty sure you cannot play from disc, period. All games are required installs now, and the discs are just install discs basically (like PC games).

Yup.
Fair enough. And kind of a nevermind as I was mixing you up with another poster who's a big Sony fan, where as your the big Nintendo guy. :D

I'm dreading all the back tracking we'll see on here, Neogaf etc. from Sony fans once it comes out that Sony's used game system is the same. And I'd be shocked if it wasn't with EA dropping online passes etc. Maybe they won't have the 24 hour check ins, but I'd be shocked if it was the same system of used games only at participating retailers and up to publishers etc.
Sony's system won't be the same. EA and Activision's on the PS4 may be, but Sony already said that they won't do that for first party titles. On the XBone, it sounds as if ALL games would have it.

Yep. And it will likely be the same on PS4 with Sony leaving it up to publishers. As has been said repeatedly in the thread, EA wouldn't have dropped online passes if they didn't know they'd have control of used games on both major platforms.
Sony hasn't announced any details on this yet, but yes, it is very possible. This sort of functionality is very attractive to major game publishers. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Sony implementing a similar system with the PS4. I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony announces a similar assault on secondhand games at E3.

I would still be interested in getting a PS4, but it would definitely even the playing field between the PS4 and XBox One going into the holidays. It would also give the Wii U a sizable boost for anyone who doesn't have a consistent internet connection. (or who prefer buying used games) I've already gotten used to gaming on Steam, so I don't consider this sort of thing to be a deal breaker for either system.

E3 is going to be really interesting this year.

Yup.

Sony's system won't be the same. EA and Activision's on the PS4 may be, but Sony already said that they won't do that for first party titles. On the XBone, it sounds as if ALL games would have it.
Pretty much this. Sony explicitly said that the console would work and play games even if you NEVER connected it to the Internet. That's not to say that it will play any and all games that way. Most likely the publishers can decide there as well which means...don't even bother buying EA games until they're in the 5 or 10 dollar bargain bin.

Sony already said their console can remain offline, so it's going to be impossible for them to implement this in this way.  What they may use is the rfid chip technology they patented earlier this year, but it won't be nearly as convoluted as this monstrosity,  That is unless Sony backtracks on the "offline console" statement.

No, the MS site says it's up to publishers on whether to restrict used games. Said they aren't charging any fee etc.

So if Sony doesn't restrict their exclusives, I would think MS wouldn't as well.

I'm guessing the big publishers just pressured both MS and Sony to support this system.

Sony already said their console can remain offline, so it's going to be impossible for them to implement this in this way. What they may use is the rfid chip technology they patented earlier this year, but it won't be nearly as convoluted as this monstrosity, That is unless Sony backtracks on the "offline console" statement.
That's just them being careful/sneaky in their semantics I suspect.

Just because the console doesn't have to be online to work, doesn't mean that games like Madden and CoD will work if it's not connected and able to check licenses since EA and Activision want to restrict things.

Pretty sure one of the Sony execs tweeted something about used games being up to the publishers--which is exactly what the MS page says. Again, I can't see EA dropping online passes if they didn't know they could choose to restrict used game sales on both platforms.

Sony already said their console can remain offline, so it's going to be impossible for them to implement this in this way. What they may use is the rfid chip technology they patented earlier this year, but it won't be nearly as convoluted as this monstrosity, That is unless Sony backtracks on the "offline console" statement.
That's just them being careful/sneaky in their semantics I suspect.

Just because the console doesn't have to be online to work, doesn't mean that games like Madden and CoD will work if it's not connected and able to check licenses since EA and Activision want to restrict things.

Pretty sure one of the Sony execs tweeted something about used games being up to the publishers--which is exactly what the MS page says. Again, I can't see EA dropping online passes if they didn't know they could choose to restrict used game sales on both platforms.
This is exactly what I was saying. It's still a hell of a lot better than a required checkin ever 24hrs in order to play ANY games.

Think about it like this. Maybe you get Dragon Age 3. You play it and have to connect to PSN every 24hrs WHILE PLAYING IT. You finish it. You get rid of it (however that's possible) and you can now stop connecting to the Internet every 24 hours.

Also, if Sony's servers go offline for more than 24 hours you'll still be able to play some games (presumably all 1st party games) offline for an unlimited amount of time. Meanwhile X1's won't run ANY games if MS's servers are down 24hrs. The entire planet's Xbox will brick.

So it's all frucking true.

24 hours check in, No used games.

No renting, lending.

giving a  "used" game away to someone is a pain in the ass. person has to be on your friends list(for 30 days)

damn

can't wait to hears Timbos defense!

Think about it like this. Maybe you get Dragon Age 3. You play it and have to connect to PSN every 24hrs WHILE PLAYING IT. You finish it. You get rid of it (however that's possible) and you can now stop connecting to the Internet every 24 hours.

Also, if Sony's servers go offline for more than 24 hours you'll still be able to play some games (presumably all 3rd party games) offline for an unlimited amount of time. Meanwhile X1's won't run ANY games if MS's servers are down 24hrs. The entire planet's Xbox will brick.
Definitely. I'd 100% go PS4 if they had the same up to the publisher used game restirctions, but no 24 hour checks as I want to be able to play my games if there severs are down or my internet is down (can't recall last time my internet was down for more than 24 hours--advantage of big city living is shit gets fixed fast since so many customers are affected in small areas--especially in an area full of 20-30 story condo buildings like where I'm at currently).

So that's definitely one way Sony could one-up MS---assuming the publishers aren't the ones pushign for 24 hour checks of course.

Also, if Sony's servers go offline for more than 24 hours you'll still be able to play some games (presumably all 3rd party games) offline for an unlimited amount of time. Meanwhile X1's won't run ANY games if MS's servers are down 24hrs. The entire planet's Xbox will brick.
Definitely. I'd 100% go PS4 if they had the same up to the publisher used game restirctions, but no 24 hour checks as I want to be able to play my games if there severs are down or my internet is down (can't recall last time my internet was down for more than 24 hours--advantage of big city living is shit gets fixed fast since so many customers are affected in small areas--especially in an area full of 20-30 story condo buildings like where I'm at currently).

So that's definitely one way Sony could one-up MS---assuming the publishers aren't the ones pushign for 24 hour checks of course.
I live in a small rural town, and I can't even think of a time where my internet has been down for 24 hours straight. It's just the idea of the forced connection that bugs me.

From Kotaku:

• The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours in order for you to play games. For many people, from military personnel to students, that's an inconvenience, maybe even an impossibility. Never mind what happens to everybody's console if Microsoft's servers ever come down.
  • The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it. Publishers being the very people opposed most fiercely to used video game sales.
  • There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-just-had-a-very-bad-day-511766497

Big question they don't answer, what's the process we need go through if something gets de-authorized? Anything more than it taking a moment to re-authourize is beyond ridiculous. This isn't just an internet issue. What if you are going out of town or even worse in the process of moving and have to pack away your console for more than a day? The way used games are handled bothers me a little but that was never my biggest issue with this console in the first place. Connectivity and Kinect are far worse sins for me personally. Pass for a long time.

Big question they don't answer, what's the process we need go through if something gets de-authorized? Anything more than it taking a moment to re-authourize is beyond ridiculous. This isn't just an internet issue. What if you are going out of town or even worse in the process of moving and have to pack away your console for more than a day? The way used games are handled bothers me a little but that was never my biggest issue with this console in the first place. Connectivity and Kinect are far worse sins for me personally. Pass for a long time.
I'm guessing its just programmed to ping a server and check the license before letting the game load if it hasn't checked in 24 hours. Probably something the user doesn't even notice as long as the system is online.

So if you're out of town or whatever, it would just ping the server for every game you played when you got back. So only an issue if your internet is down.

Personally, I don't see that as a huge issue for me as I have good internet etc. But I don't like restrictions on being able to sell games how I want if prices are going to stay the same.

If games were hitting $20-40 faster, then I'd care less. At those prices I'd probably just buy a lot of digital games so I don't have to hassle with reselling a disc (I don't collect and rarely replay) since the price would be about the same as what I pay for most games these days after selling the disc after beating it.

Erad30, what happens if YOU'RE offline for a week because YOU'RE on vacation. Is your "shared game library" still available for your "family"?
I'd guess so.

It sounds like all your game installs are in the cloud so you can log in and play them on any console. So any one in your family should be able to log into their account and play any of the games on any console.

At least that's how I read it. I gather that all the accounts are linked to the main one, and any of them signing in is fine in terms of keeping the game authorized.

Capitalism.

Thanks Glenn Beck, I needed a reminder of how capitalism works :roll:

it was more of quote from Ricky Stanzi as a joke, but I did butcher the quote.
IT'S OFFICIAL

I'm pretty sure you cannot play from disc, period. All games are required installs now, and the discs are just install discs basically (like PC games).
Yes but just like PC games they can have verification on the CD level.

In the case of Xbone:

You can play it from your library with the restrictions (24 hour DRM or 1 hour DRM)

OR...

Verify it from the Bluray

I doubt that is how it will be, but it isn't ruled out in their press release as it talks about accessing the games in your library.

So it's all frucking true.

24 hours check in, No used games.

No renting, lending.

giving a "used" game away to someone is a pain in the ass. person has to be on your friends list(for 30 days)

damn

can't wait to hears Timbos defense!
Yeap It's true. You have to have a stable internet connection and connect once every twenty four hours. I can see this only being a huge pain for me if the Microsoft servers go down, which I'm sure they will at one point.

Renting/lending is there It's not going to be fully implemented right away. I will put my "friends" on my "family" list and let them borrow the game, that's going to be good times if I'm reading it right.

BTW there is no way PS4 says "fuck yo couch developers" while MS says "We love you guys! No more used sales!". I'm calling BS on that one.

I love how everyone thinks that this is all just gonna be Xbox. Sony is not this smart I guarantee that they fuck up even worse in the end just like last time. They can act cool all they want and take pop shots at MS like a 14 year old high schooler but I guarantee MS comes out on top once the entire curtain is pulled away on the PS4!

Erad30, what happens if YOU'RE offline for a week because YOU'RE on vacation. Is your "shared game library" still available for your "family"?
As long as you're consle is plugged into the wall you'll be fine. The 24 hour connect will be done automatically as the Xbone is "always on"

So if you leave your home for a week and don't take your Xbone, the console will authorize it every 24 hours as long as it is:

A.) Plugged into the wall for power

B.) Has a internet connection.

You don't need to turn on the Xbone once a day.

Still a shitty requirement

It's not often but I do occasionally have to reset my router. If that were to happen while I was gone? Screwed.And that's if power/internet never goes out for 24 or more hours (we can have pretty extreme weather here as do lots of regions).

It's not often but I do occasionally have to reset my router. If that were to happen while I was gone? Screwed.And that's if power/internet never goes out for 24 or more hours (we can have pretty extreme weather here as do lots of regions).
In a nutshell you're Xboned then.

I don't see why it would be any more than everything reauthorizing once you get home and reset the router. I usually turn off the surge protector to my home theater system, router etc. is in when I'm out of town for more than a couple days as I don't see the point in wasting the electric.

I can't see why that's an issue. It's not like games get deleted from your account if they don't check in every 24 hours. You just can't play OFFLINE if it hasn't checked in 24 hours. Come back, power everything up and it will perform the check and everything should be good to go.

I'm not a fan of the system, but I don't see any issues with losing things etc. It's only a problem if you're ever without internet for more than 24 hours when you're home and wanting to play as your games won't work until your services comes back an it can perform the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back