Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what that second one for the Kinect is...

Here is a google article from someone who appears to know of the tech behind it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hbrobotics/MLTfwYFgXVI

Specifically this part: "It is clear it is using ToF technology. The projector is gone, and

now only an IR flash is used. As before, there is a second camera
video nearby for 1080p color."
The kinect uses this camera to track people, like how many in a room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwHOGfXxajM

These same cameras are used in cars to detect objects before collision. You know like some vehicles that have the ability to alert you with a sound before you back up into something. You learn something new everyday. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't this just be named the X1 bitching thread now? That's all that is going on in here. If you guys are so dead set on going over to Sony and are all in for the PS4 then startnow and head on over there. This is just getting ridiculous.
I do have to agree on this...and I read the thread to see if anything real comes out it but just am disappointed at all the negativity, just sad really.
There is a thread for positive discussion only. So I would suggest anyone not wanting to hear any complaints go there:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/313133-the-xbox-one-future-owners-discussion-thread-no-drm-debates-etc/
That forum is too boring and only has like 10 comments on it. All the action is here seeing people bitch and moan about a system they hate but they still have to make hundreds of comments about it.
I sure don't hate the console or games, just the drm, and used game restrictions. Whether Microsoft cares or not that is up to them but I'm free to discuss it with other people that share the same opinion as me. So I don't get how it is "bitching".
I guess after 4,000 comments of:
1. Damn I hate the DRM aspects of Xbone
2. Damn I hate the 24 hr check in
3. Damn I hate how the Xbone costs $100 than PS4
4. Damn I hate (whatever is left like mandatory installs, required Internet connections, etc)

It sounds redundant so I check in every now and then to see if something new is introduced.

4. Damn I hate (whatever is left like mandatory installs, required Internet connections, etc)

It sounds redundant so I check in every now and then to see if something new is introduced.
I'm sure most of us are tired of the whole drm discussion even those against it. But it doesn't help that every now and then someone comes in here defending the drm and everything repeats again.

If people were suddenly not allowed to discuss their issues with the Xbox One in this thread then this thread would become just like that thread...

So will 360 prices drop since the next gen is on it's way out? I see everything is still $60 for it.
The thing is selling fine right now, don't see MS dropping the price unless Sony drops the PS3's price. The newest Xbox 360 250GB is selling for $299.99 with no games bundled, just to give you the idea.

edit:

I meant games. I figured console prices would be the same.
I doubt it, but expect more current gen games to drop to around $40 quicker after release.

You forgot one...

5. Damn I hate people bitching about the XBone

:)

On another note, I dropped by a local Gamestop to pick up the Jak & Daxter Collection on sale for $9.99, and I started to talk to one of the CSRs about used games for the XBone, and whether they'd be able to buy and sell them, and she pointed me to a print-out from the Xbox Wire website http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license.

I am still concerned as there are many carefully articulated statements.

Apologies if this was already posted.

I like how Major Nelson keeps on avoiding the DRM questions by talking about the xbox one being built for the future(plus using the same hand gesture in 2 interviews so far) but wouldn't elaborate on what that means. :roll:

gt.png

sm97.jpg
He avoids it because as a Microsoft employee, hes only allowed to share what his bosses tell him to.

It's that simple.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now that, sounds like absolutely garbage.

So will 360 prices drop since the next gen is on it's way out? I see everything is still $60 for it.
Doubtful, but you will probably see either A) faster price drops on games or B) less units of each title shipped. Kinda disappointing Lords of Shadow 2 and Dark Souls 2 didn't go next gen. Which just means I'll have to keep the box plugged in after Christmas.

Reading further into the features/capabilities of the XB1 and the PS4, I'm beginning to sway towards the XB1. DRM is the future of digital media. At some point, it will become a standard within the entertainment industry (the distribution side anyway). Although this "always connected" mentality might be arriving a bit soon (especially with the lack of available WANs throughout the country), it's a step in the right direction.

Sure, there are downfalls: used games are a thing of the past, the Kinect is always on and the lack of offline play - all of which will definitely be a burden in the beginning. However, in my honest opinion, the good outweighs the bad.

I'm not laying down and accepting DRM; I'm embracing it. The restrictions act as a minor inconvenience, but the room for innovation is unremarkable. One positive impact include games going on sale more often due to the lack of having to cover the additional licenses being thrown around (peer-to-peer sharing and used game shops like GameStop).

Microsoft is implementing a similar system Steam has in place... and I, for one, welcome the change with open arms.

/rant over

I'm all for digital, but until consoles enter the same kind of land PC is in right now, where Steam is open and has competition, it's not going to be same, so I'm either resisting until we get some actually worth it tangible benefits (i.e. the constant fire sales you get on Steam) or until they drag me kicking and screaming, whichever happens first.

Have you used the final controller yet of the PS4 one? Didn't think so...
Do you read reviews before you buy a game? Thought so..

The fanboyism is strong in this one, will dismiss 5 reviews because he doesn't want to believe.
to be honest i DONT go off o reviews i read to buy a game most people in media that reviews games are either payed off by game companys or don't fully play the games. i learned in life that alot of games people in media hated i loved.

So you have incredibly poor taste is what you are saying...
really? last i checked if i enjoy a game it's all that matters right? just because a review person that is paid off by bigger name companys to give their games high scores don't like a game a high score i have poor taste get lost dude

if you need to know why you should not buy games from what media reviews say just look at what they give every call of duty every dang years 8's 9's 9.5 and i can go on and on.

I'm all for digital, but until consoles enter the same kind of land PC is in right now, where Steam is open and has competition, it's not going to be same, so I'm either resisting until we get some actually worth it tangible benefits (i.e. the constant fire sales you get on Steam) or until they drag me kicking and screaming, whichever happens first.
Will take the former for me. I'd have no problem walking away from console gaming if it's $60 games with slow price drops and DRM that keeps them from being re-sold on Amazon/Ebay etc.

Get prices down and I'll jump into digital gaming with both feet as I'd love to pay about the same as I do now without the hassle of listing and shipping games I sell online.

Reading further into the features/capabilities of the XB1 and the PS4, I'm beginning to sway towards the XB1. DRM is the future of digital media. At some point, it will become a standard within the entertainment industry (the distribution side anyway). Although this "always connected" mentality might be arriving a bit soon (especially with the lack of available WANs throughout the country), it's a step in the right direction.

Sure, there are downfalls: used games are a thing of the past, the Kinect is always on and the lack of offline play - all of which will definitely be a burden in the beginning. However, in my honest opinion, the good outweighs the bad.

I'm not laying down and accepting DRM; I'm embracing it. The restrictions act as a minor inconvenience, but the room for innovation is unremarkable. One positive impact include games going on sale more often due to the lack of having to cover the additional licenses being thrown around (peer-to-peer sharing and used game shops like GameStop).

Microsoft is implementing a similar system Steam has in place... and I, for one, welcome the change with open arms.

/rant over
See, people come in here and post stuff like this and it starts the argument all over again. You talk about the good outweighing the bad, and list all the negative things that come along with the X1. Then, you say that it's worth it because the "room for innovation is unremarkable" (pretty sure you meant remarkable...but hey...Freudian slip). After that, the only positive you name is the presumption that these policies will allow games to be cheaper (which is yet to be confirmed at all), since the X1 won't be "gimped" by the used game market (even though you can share games among 10 people). And finally, comes the comparison to Steam (and you're definitely not the first to do that).

Here is how it's not like Steam AT ALL.

1. Steam has competitors to help keep prices low (GMG, Amazon, Gamer's Gate, GOG, Origin, etc, etc. I could seriously go on all day)

2. Steam has an offline mode. I can be disconnected from the internet for days and still play my single player games just fine.

3. Steam is "backwards compatible". There are games on Steam that are 15+ years old. I can buy/build a new PC, greatly improve my experience, AND still play all of my games.

So, for the one millionth time (and sure to be one million and one in a page or two), how in the freaking hell is the X1 anything like Steam? I'm not saying that the X1 doesn't have a chance to get there. And I agree with everyone who believes this is how it SHOULD go. But as of yet, we've gotten little indication from Microsoft that this is their intent. For now, we know there are limited used game sales, 24 hour online checks, required Kinect, and $60 MSRP games. Right now, that is what has been confirmed. Everything else is speculation, wishful thinking, and optimism. And there's nothing wrong with any of those things. But it's hard to build a case on hypothetical situations. Honestly, I hope the X1 is as great as Steam. That would be amazing! But they've got some work to do to get there.

*don't mean to sound harsh toward you, labelmeoriginal. But seriously, this keeps coming up, and it starts to feel as if people don't even bother to think about what the differences actually are.

/rant over
Purely speculative at this point, and if the current models of XBL and Marketplace serves as an indication as to how Microsoft is going run the next gen digital sales, I think you will be disappointed. 3-4 year old games still go for at or near their original price points. Also, I would guess that Microsoft would want a % of third party digital games sold through their next gen marketplace. Again speculation, but just my thoughts.

Can't this just be named the X1 bitching thread now? That's all that is going on in here. If you guys are so dead set on going over to Sony and are all in for the PS4 then start
now and head on over there. This is just getting ridiculous.
Personally, I find this thread to be highly entertaining.

Purely speculative at this point, and if the current models of XBL and Marketplace serves as an indication as to how Microsoft is going run the next gen digital sales, I think you will be disappointed. 3-4 year old games still go for at or near their original price points. Also, I would guess that Microsoft would want a % of third party digital games sold through their next gen marketplace. Again speculation, but just my thoughts.
I don't expect it to change until the plug is finally pulled on used games. The presence of these goofy psuedo discs are just going to keep things the same as they are now for digital pricing. Sony is pretty much just as bad, though to their credit they have enacted a 10% discount on new Vita games, which has mostly been standard except for a few exceptions.

people compare x1 to steam because most people grip about x1 is that you can't open sell your games can't rent games like in the past(i think ms will get something worked out with companys like gamefly.) Can't share games pretty much and games are mostly digital games. All that is steam an we steam users are fine with all that. Yes some parts of steam is not like x1 but most things people are crying about steam has had for years.

I'm afraid I'm just not seeing much in terms of Steam compared to Xbox One, and I'm not really sure where the hell these comparisons are coming from. 

I'm afraid I'm just not seeing much in terms of Steam compared to Xbox One, and I'm not really sure where the hell these comparisons are coming from.
The issue is, when anyone brings up Steam, they bring up Steam *now*.

Do you think that's a fair comparison to be having? Or should we be discussing Steam (after it got its issues sorted out of course) back near when it first started?

I find it funny, because I see this sort of thing all the time as a PC Player and a MMO player on top of that. "But, but, WoW has so many more instances and raids then XXX MMO....." Well, duh, WoW's been open how long. An yet, people still try to compare the current new title to the title that's a decade old.

It's a unfair comparison that you are never going to win.

That forum is too boring and only has like 10 comments on it. All the action is here seeing people bitch and moan about a system they hate but they still have to make hundreds of comments about it.
If no one can think of anything positive to post in the thread that people were crying about wanting, then maybe we aren't bitching enough in here.

people compare x1 to steam because most people grip about x1 is that you can't open sell your games can't rent games like in the past(i think ms will get something worked out with companys like gamefly.) Can't share games pretty much and games are mostly digital games. All that is steam an we steam users are fine with all that. Yes some parts of steam is not like x1 but most things people are crying about steam has had for years.
Yeah, that isn't it at all. dmaul, for one, has posted numerous times that he also wouldn't have a problem with not being able to resell games if they were priced accordingly (which is how many people feel...otherwise Steam and other DD retailers wouldn't have the success they have). Seriously, that is all MS needs to do to turn down the heat they're getting. Even if they have a justifiable reason that games aren't going to be cheaper right away when the console launches (which is what Major Nelson tried to say when he was getting all defensive), at least tell people that a year down the road, once the X1 has a strong installation base, we'll see prices of games coming down. So, instead of a game being $60, it might be $40. That's all they've gotta do, and people would perk up and start suckling the MS teat again. It really is that simple. Until they're ready to make those statements, people are going to be harsh on them and they won't be doing anything remotely close to what Steam does.

Honestly, using that Major Nelson interview as an example, when Joe asked him about having deals similar to Steam, he got really defensive and immediately fired back asking if you could give a game away on Steam or if there was a "family plan" on Steam. So, instead of saying "Absolutely. We're aware of their sales strategies and digital download games definitely offer you more pricing flexibility", he got defensive and tried to convince Joe that what the X1 will have will be better. So, really, unless you're totally prepared to utilize that "family" sharing (however it will work) and/or trading games with people who have been on your friends list for 30 days, I don't know that I would count on seeing Steam-like sales. Nothing MS has done has indicated that is the plan. That's not even a knock on them. It just means they think the plan they've already established is better.

Personally, it's not something I'm willing to gamble on until they show some actual proof of why it's so great. But that's a decision each person needs to make for themselves...and it shouldn't be influenced by false truths (coming from either "side").

Do you think that's a fair comparison to be having? Or should we be discussing Steam (after it got its issues sorted out of course) back near when it first started?
That's a fair point. But this console also has an expiration date (Microsoft themselves even said something about wanting it to be 5 years). So, if you're spending multiple years ironing out the kinks of your (essentially) digital distribution system, how successful is that console going to be? If you're willing to admit that the X1 might be a "growing pains" console and not see the success that the 360 had because of how transitional this period will be, then I can completely be on board with that. Will it put MS in a better position for the console after that? Maybe. It's really going to depend on how people handle all of this.

To be honest, while I understand the convenience and ability to save money that all digital provides, how is nobody considering how ISPs are going to feel about it? I have Comcast, and for $75 a month, 50mbps internet....I've got a 300GB per month cap. If I'm downloading 20-50GB games, I'm going to destroy my bandwidth cap in no time. So, unless MS is ready to offer their own fast, reliable internet service with no bandwidth cap, it might not matter if this is a "better system" or not.

I can definitely see MS releasing an updated, all digital version within 3 years.
They should have done that in the first place though.

i would refuess any cap on my internet usage thankfully in my area time warner and uverse don't have caps.

I can definitely see MS releasing an updated, all digital version within 3 years.
backbone of u.s interet can't handle all digital and streaming video game right now look at on live for a prime example why.

i would refuess any cap on my internet usage thankfully in my area time warner and uverse don't have caps.

backbone of u.s interet can't handle all digital and streaming video game right now look at on live for a prime example why.
Yes, but Microsoft has repeatedly stated that they don't care for the customers without good internet connections.

LOL...how do you think you can "refuse it"? We have AT&T Uverse here as well, but the speeds are nowhere near as good as Comcast. It's like having T-Mobile cell service. "You get unlimited everything...but it doesn't work worth shit!!!" Good speeds w/cap > poor speeds w/no cap. When you're dealing with monopolies, you're always choosing the lesser of two evils. Just saying though, the ISPs could have a far bigger say in the X1's success than people realize.

You make it sound so easy. Many areas don't have connections available that are fast and have no caps. Either that or they are ridiculously expensive. Though data caps are probably one of the main reasons why Xbox is offering games on disc instead of download only, so I'm not sure why they were brought up in the first place. That is similar to how most big releases on Steam are available on disc at stores: the games use the same DRM but they don't require a huge download.

I think I accidentally defended Microsoft (and Steam), I'm going to have to think of way to rephrase this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQDMEFq3H4

really great video he makes alot of great points

both x1 and ps4 has so many un answered questions
Revision3 and Adam Sessler are very slanted toward Microsoft. In fact Revision3 CEO Jim Louderback on his other show Downloaded has admitted several times that he is an Xbox guy. This video is Sessler trying to make a DRM boogie man that doesn't exist on the PS4. And he is clearly trying to thwart PS4 preorders.

Speaking of videos, this one has a Sony slant to it, but it is a very good piece..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7533-PS4-Doing-Nothing-Meaning-Everything

I find it funny, because I see this sort of thing all the time as a PC Player and a MMO player on top of that. "But, but, WoW has so many more instances and raids then XXX MMO....." Well, duh, WoW's been open how long. An yet, people still try to compare the current new title to the title that's a decade old.

It's a unfair comparison that you are never going to win.
I'd argue it's fair because if you are going to have something akin to Steam you can just look at Steam and copy their current model, especially when it comes to having an offline mode and letting companies decide their own release dates and sales. I'm sure MS doesn't dictate when AAA games from EA/Activision/Ubisoft come out but for any smaller companies they control pretty much every aspect of that hence why there are virtually no Indie titles coming to the Xbox One compared to the PS4 and even the Wii U showed way more at E3. This is not a vacuum, they have examples to look at and follow.

This! I've been meaning to say this, but never got around to it. Microsoft controls everything about the Xbox. They control the hardware and they control the store. Keep dreaming if you think they'll have the huge sales that Steam has...

I try to buy MS points on sale and then buy games during sales. The combination makes XBLA games affordable. MS points are going away. Using real world money destroys the MS points discount sales that we often find.

I think there are a lot of naive people out there that keep saying that Microsoft might do this or that, when we know they have no reason to when it is a closed environment. "Microsoft might have better sales now...", "Microsoft might patch the system to play offline.." Ha!!! I've played Xbox as my primary console for years and have dealt with them in the computer industry for over 20 years. If Microsoft doesn't come out and directly say they're going to do something, don't count on it ever being done.

I notice in a lot of complaints about the Xbox One "Kinect required" is always thrown in there. Am I missing something or do you have to balance the Kinect sensor on your forehead while you play? You plug in your Xbox plug in Kinect and thats it, if Kinect was sold separately for $100-$200 then I would understand the outrage and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.

This! I've been meaning to say this, but never got around to it. Microsoft controls everything about the Xbox. They control the hardware and they control the store. Keep dreaming if you think they'll have the huge sales that Steam has...

I try to buy MS points on sale and then buy games during sales. The combination makes XBLA games affordable. MS points are going away. Using real world money destroys the MS points discount sales that we often find.

I think there are a lot of naive people out there that keep saying that Microsoft might do this or that, when we know they have no reason to when it is a closed environment. "Microsoft might have better sales now...", "Microsoft might patch the system to play offline.." Ha!!! I've played Xbox as my primary console for years and have dealt with them in the computer industry for over 20 years. If Microsoft doesn't come out and directly say they're going to do something, don't count on it ever being done.
Additionally the "might" argument doesn't make much sense. Why should anyone buy the system for things that might happen? If they start having amazing sales, then buy the system at that point.

I agree with you, MS won't change anything unless they sell nothing at all. THEN, they maybe would think of a plan B. I'm sure they will sell moderately well the first month (all the fanboys and people who wants to own both systems), but after that? A serious gamer wouldn't want an abusive DRM device with no b/c and kinect's eyes an ears always on you.

http://youtu.be/jNX576Dg07Q
LOL, they haven't played a fighting game in their lives.

/rant over
See, people come in here and post stuff like this and it starts the argument all over again. You talk about the good outweighing the bad, and list all the negative things that come along with the X1. Then, you say that it's worth it because the "room for innovation is unremarkable" (pretty sure you meant remarkable...but hey...Freudian slip). After that, the only positive you name is the presumption that these policies will allow games to be cheaper (which is yet to be confirmed at all), since the X1 won't be "gimped" by the used game market (even though you can share games among 10 people). And finally, comes the comparison to Steam (and you're definitely not the first to do that).

Here is how it's not like Steam AT ALL.

1. Steam has competitors to help keep prices low (GMG, Amazon, Gamer's Gate, GOG, Origin, etc, etc. I could seriously go on all day)

2. Steam has an offline mode. I can be disconnected from the internet for days and still play my single player games just fine.

3. Steam is "backwards compatible". There are games on Steam that are 15+ years old. I can buy/build a new PC, greatly improve my experience, AND still play all of my games.

So, for the one millionth time (and sure to be one million and one in a page or two), how in the freaking hell is the X1 anything like Steam? I'm not saying that the X1 doesn't have a chance to get there. And I agree with everyone who believes this is how it SHOULD go. But as of yet, we've gotten little indication from Microsoft that this is their intent. For now, we know there are limited used game sales, 24 hour online checks, required Kinect, and $60 MSRP games. Right now, that is what has been confirmed. Everything else is speculation, wishful thinking, and optimism. And there's nothing wrong with any of those things. But it's hard to build a case on hypothetical situations. Honestly, I hope the X1 is as great as Steam. That would be amazing! But they've got some work to do to get there.

*don't mean to sound harsh toward you, labelmeoriginal. But seriously, this keeps coming up, and it starts to feel as if people don't even bother to think about what the differences actually are.
Steam started somewhere. They received a lot of hate surrounding the DRM restrictions they had in place. It's fair to compare Steam and the XB1 in their early stages. I understand the XB1 won't steamroll out of the gates with the success that Steam has today, but it has to start somewhere. So when? When do we start accepting that the digital age will begin? DRM is inevitable. Hell, it's REQUIRED for digital content to be distributed. Look at it as a luxury trade-off. Otherwise, content will continue to be stolen and the MSRP of games will continue to go up.

If the XB1 console can enter the market without causing too much of a ruckus, they will start gaining competitors. Again, Steam didn't have Amazon, Origin and many others competing against them in the beginning. What won customers over was the intuitiveness of the UI, the ability to store all of your games in one location and the ability to play your library from ANYWHERE. As you stated, the XB1 does require to be connected to play.. but honestly, the severity of this restriction depends on the user. I, among many others, will hardly be affected by this.

And to reiterate, it is fair to compare Steam (in it's early stages) to the XB1. Digital content, ease of access and an intuitive UI; XB1 wants this, Steam has it. It's clearly Microsoft's overall goal in the end. They won't likely come close to the success Steam has, but they're definitely going to make an effort.

There will be hardships. There will be bumps in the road starting out. There will even be customers who jump ship in the beginning. But in MY OPINION, the XB1 will be a success in the long run. I'm basing this off of the reputation of Microsoft and the success of the original XB and XB360. They really don't deserve the hate they've been getting. But hey, that's me.

As for the PS4, it's doing a ton of things right... but I applaud Microsoft taking such a risky approach and I'll be on board for the initial launch (either staying afloat or going down with the ship - we'll just have to wait and see)!

Just my .02.

Again the difference here is platform. PC is open to pretty much anyone who wants to sell their games or be in direct competition to Steam itself. You really think Microsoft will have it this way? They won't let anybody compete with them on their platform. And also again, Microsoft isn't the pioneer here-There's a proven roadmap in place already on the right way to do this, and they are saying screw that, and if it was a even better model, that's fine, but it's not.

Yeah, that isn't it at all. dmaul, for one, has posted numerous times that he also wouldn't have a problem with not being able to resell games if they were priced accordingly (which is how many people feel...otherwise Steam and other DD retailers wouldn't have the success they have). Seriously, that is all MS needs to do to turn down the heat they're getting. Even if they have a justifiable reason that games aren't going to be cheaper right away when the console launches (which is what Major Nelson tried to say when he was getting all defensive), at least tell people that a year down the road, once the X1 has a strong installation base, we'll see prices of games coming down. So, instead of a game being $60, it might be $40. That's all they've gotta do, and people would perk up and start suckling the MS teat again. It really is that simple. Until they're ready to make those statements, people are going to be harsh on them and they won't be doing anything remotely close to what Steam does.
Exactly. This is CAG. We presumably all care about what we pay for games, or we'd be over on Neogaf or other sites with more active discussions exclusively.

I pay an average of $X for each game currently through a combo of deals, price drops and being able to sell games after beating them. If I'm going to go digital, they have to show me that I can still average $X per game, or damn close to it, despite not being able to sell games however I like (or at all in the case of steam/fully digital.

That's not happened, so they can pound sand. I'll revisit if game prices every significantly drop for digital games.

I'd argue it's fair because if you are going to have something akin to Steam you can just look at Steam and copy their current model, especially when it comes to having an offline mode and letting companies decide their own release dates and sales. I'm sure MS doesn't dictate when AAA games from EA/Activision/Ubisoft come out but for any smaller companies they control pretty much every aspect of that hence why there are virtually no Indie titles coming to the Xbox One compared to the PS4 and even the Wii U showed way more at E3. This is not a vacuum, they have examples to look at and follow.
The problem is they were afraid to go full digital and really tell everyone with crappy ISPs (or no broad band at all) to pound sand by going fully digital.

Thus they have these game install discs, and were also afraid to make those not tradeable at all (or changed their mind after the initial backlash), so the used game market is still there and publishers see it as eating profits. Thus they couldn't go to a steam like pricing model as they're still worried about used sales cannibalizing game profits. And they made it worse by enabling some form of game sharing (unless there's a lot more restrictions on that than they've hinted at thus far.

But yeah, they could have copied steam with things like a fully offline mode for single player games etc. despite all of that.

I notice in a lot of complaints about the Xbox One "Kinect required" is always thrown in there. Am I missing something or do you have to balance the Kinect sensor on your forehead while you play? You plug in your Xbox plug in Kinect and thats it, if Kinect was sold separately for $100-$200 then I would understand the outrage and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
To be fair to those concerned about privacy issues, MS was one of the companies that gave data to the NSA...

Myself, I don't worry much about that stuff. I don't like that Kinect is packed in as I loathed Kinect 1 (got it free and sold it), Wii waggle nonsense etc. I despise motion controls. So I don't like that I'd be forced to buy it, and that's probably the main reason why the X1 is $100 more as the PS4 and X1 hardware are fairly comparable otherwise--with the PS4 a tad more powerful if anything. And I don't like that more developers will shoehorn gestures, voice commands and other non-sense into there games now that everyone has one.

The day games go fully motion/vocal control, be it some VR thing or whatever, is the day I finally quit gaming. I want to veg on the couch and play traditional games with traditional controllers. That's been my hobby for 25+ years and when it gets away from that I just spend my time and money on my other hobbies that I already enjoy more than gaming anyway.

If no one can think of anything positive to post in the thread that people were crying about wanting, then maybe we aren't bitching enough in here.
I kind of figured that thread would be slow. Not as slow as I didn't expect all the people bitching about the DRM discussion etc. to mainly keep posting in here.....

But this is CAG. A site where people want games a cheaply as possible, and a site with an active trading community which will be severly limited on the X1 with only being able to gift games once. The X1 is not going to be popular among this community due to that. People who want an actively supportive X1 community are probably going to have to look to other sites.

This uproar will die down, but the X1 forum just won't be as active as the PS4 one going forward for the above reason. Pretty much a flip from this gen where the PS3 forum wasn't as active as the 360 one. And understandably as the PS3 launching at $500-600 for the two models wasn't CAG friendly either.

Again the difference here is platform. PC is open to pretty much anyone who wants to sell their games or be in direct competition to Steam itself. You really think Microsoft will have it this way? They won't let anybody compete with them on their platform.
You definitely make a good point. They'll definitely control the market in this particular digital venue. I'm interested to see if Microsoft will make a push in the digital market with their games. Sure, they may control it, but most gamers (CAGs anyway) won't spend their money on games if they aren't discounted. I believe they're already being pressured into increasing sales on the XBLA (sales/giving away games) seeing what Sony has been doing lately.

I guess this would have made for a better comparison if the PS4 had gone the same route.

Steam started somewhere. They received a lot of hate surrounding the DRM restrictions they had in place. It's fair to compare Steam and the XB1 in their early stages. I understand the XB1 won't steamroll out of the gates with the success that Steam has today, but it has to start somewhere. So when? When do we start accepting that the digital age will begin? DRM is inevitable. Hell, it's REQUIRED for digital content to be distributed. Look at it as a luxury trade-off. Otherwise, content will continue to be stolen and the MSRP of games will continue to go up.
I think we all agree with you that DRM is inevitable. The problem is that MS's DRM is too intrusive. Check in every 24h? Must be a joke. Xbox360 DRM is way better, you can play your (digital) games offline as long as it's in your usual console (the one where you formerly downloaded them), and you must log in if you want to play your (digital) games in another system. X1 doesn't have retail games, all of them are digital (since the retail one is just with installation purposes), but even so, you should be able to play them offline in your console. A DRM who doesn't permit at least that, can't and shouldn't be tolerated.

Aside of that, no b/c. The device has three OS's and it can't b/c? Really? Ha! Xbox marketplace should be one and the same, with all purchases available in every console. And to finish things off... Kinect. They really thought a way of forcing us own that thing, and of top of that, always on and mandatory if you want to use the console.

No thanks, I love my xbox360, but neither I nor my friends will get a X1.

PD: english is not my main language, so sorry in advance is something writen seems off.

I doubt Sony would be much different in terms of allowing competition, but they already allow Indies to self-publish and set their own release dates and sales, putting them miles ahead of MS. Plus even with playing for Multi-player, PS Plus assuming it keeps the deals it constantly has now, is a far more attractive offer than Xbox Live Gold.

Kinect is just one thing on a pile of other issues I have. It's a terrible gameplay platform even when things do work correctly and the gesture-based controls are ridiculous. The voice recognition is also bound to be terrible (I doubt it would recognize anyone with a thick accent) and it is just stupid that anyone could walk into a room and yell Xbox off and fuck up your game. Murders have been committed over far less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back