Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I CAN'T SELL MY GAMES ON EBAY AND CRAIGS LIST BECASUE I DON'T LIKE TO SUPPORT THE MAKERS OF THE GAME AND WANT TO GIVE THEM NO PROFIT
Seriously? They aren't entitled to that money. They got their profit the first time it was sold. Hence the name the first sale doctrine. This idea that used games sales are so bad because they hurt publishers is ridiculous. Do you hear Ford whining because everyone's selling used cars and not letting them reach into their pockets and steal money they have no right to?
so if a game is resold 10 times the game company deserves to only make 60 bucks from that ? plus that is the dumbest comparison i ever seen seeing ford dealers also sell used cars

i have no problem with online pass gives back money to game makers

people don't want to admit it but used game sales hurt the smaller companys yes it don't hurt ones like EA and other big names but the smaller ones it 100 percent does.
Apparently Microsoft doesn't care: hence, the "family plan".
we don't even know the full details of family plans yet

OMG I CAN'T SELL MY GAMES ON EBAY AND CRAIGS LIST BECASUE I DON'T LIKE TO SUPPORT THE MAKERS OF THE GAME AND WANT TO GIVE THEM NO PROFIT
Seriously? They aren't entitled to that money. They got their profit the first time it was sold. Hence the name the first sale doctrine. This idea that used games sales are so bad because they hurt publishers is ridiculous. Do you hear Ford whining because everyone's selling used cars and not letting them reach into their pockets and steal money they have no right to?
so if a game is resold 10 times the game company deserves to only make 60 bucks from that ? plus that is the dumbest comparison i ever seen seeing ford dealers also sell used cars

people don't want to admit it but used game sales hurt the smaller companys yes it don't hurt ones like EA and other big names but the smaller ones it 100 percent does.
I just don't get the assumption that Xbox going full digital will mean lower prices. They never think about what happens when that assumption does not come true and we screwed ourselves out of options. When currently we are fine with both options of physical or digital. We know we will have publishers like square enix that are highly mismanaged that can sell 3+ million copies of a game and still lose money. All I'm asking is why are people looking out for the publishers when they sure as hell are not looking out for us.

How is it our problem they could not make money selling over 1 million copies?

Shouldn't they be trying to give us more value for the $60 we paid so we don't want to trade it in?

Instead we get bug ridden games, countless patches, day 1 dlc, and dlc on disc.

We also have no guarantees from MS or Sony that games we buy digitally will move with us to a future platform. They couldn't even get our 360 and PS3 games to come with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
so people don't care gamestop makes millions upon millions and publishers and game makers see non of that money and you think it's ok?
Yes 100% it's called being a business. Publishers and game makers are making their millions and millions as well and GS has every right in the world to sell their products used without having to pay fees to greedy publishers and game makers.

I just don't get the assumption that Xbox going full digital will mean lower prices. They never think about what happens when that assumption does not come true and we screwed ourselves out of options. When currently we are fine with both options of physical or digital. We know we will have publishers like square enix that are highly mismanaged that can sell 3+ million copies of a game and still lose money. All I'm asking is why are people looking out for the publishers when they sure as hell are not looking out for us.
Not only will it probably not mean lower prices it will in fact probably mean higher prices. Less competition=higher prices that's how markets work. People love to point to Steam but seem to have a bit of revisionist history. Steam didn't always have insane sale, they got really big on the sales when other services started to show up and take away their market share. More competition=lower prices.

They aren't entitled to a single penny of it. No one who makes any product ever should get a single cent of of the secondary sales. It is a perfect comparison btw because plenty of non ford dealerships sell them used but ok replace ford with furniture sales, home sales, dvd sales, cd sales, or a million other products.
well if you don't want to support game companys fine but i for one don't buy many used games because i want to support the people that makes my games

They aren't entitled to a single penny of it. No one who makes any product ever should get a single cent of of the secondary sales. It is a perfect comparison btw because plenty of non ford dealerships sell them used but ok replace ford with furniture sales, home sales, dvd sales, cd sales, or a million other products.
well if you don't want to support game companys fine but i for one don't buy many used games because i want to support the people that makes my games
What makes game companies so special? Have you ever bought anything used in your life?

so people don't care gamestop makes millions upon millions and publishers and game makers see non of that money and you think it's ok?
Yes 100% it's called being a business. Publishers and game makers are making their millions and millions as well and GS has every right in the world to sell their products used without having to pay fees to greedy publishers and game makers.
don't you really don't know the game industry do you. You think every big or little game publisher and game studios makes millions upon millions of dollers. Yes EA and activision are fine and dandy with making no money on used games but alot of small companys stuggle to make it and i think those companys deserv some of your hard earn money to help and support their companys.

What makes game companies so special? Have you ever bought anything used in your life?
only used thing i buy in life is cars i don't like buying used products

don't you really don't know the game industry do you. You think every big or little game publisher and game studios makes millions upon millions of dollers. Yes EA and activision are fine and dandy with making no money on used games but alot of small companys stuggle to make it and i think those companys deserv some of your hard earn money to help and support their companys.
I know not everyone's making millions and I would consider who is putting it out before deciding on new or used but that doesn't change the fact that their product should still be able to be sold used with zero fees attached.

Personally with every game company that I've heard of going out of business it was easy to see why: they made bad games.

Used cars and video games are a horrible example. About the only thing that comes close is music.

The sad part is, the developers and publishers have said many times they have no problem with the consumers selling or passing on their discs. I think this is why Microsoft is at least trying, however misguided it might be, to let you gift/sell games to someone on your friends list. What they DO have a problem is with what is essentially a gaming pawn shop being a parasite to their business by selling barely discounted used games right next to new games. No other industry has to put up with such an environment. I don't go to Wal Mart and see somebody trying to sell me a used Blu-Ray player.

So yes, some consumer rights are at risk of being a casualty thanks to the war with GameStop.

Used cars and video games are a horrible example. About the only thing that comes close is music.

The sad part is, the developers and publishers have said many times they have no problem with the consumers selling or passing on their discs. I think this is why Microsoft is at least trying, however misguided it might be, to let you gift/sell games to someone on your friends list. What they DO have a problem is with what is essentially a gaming pawn shop being a parasite to their business by selling barely discounted used games right next to new games. No other industry has to put up with such an environment. I don't go to Wal Mart and see somebody trying to sell me a used Blu-Ray player.

So yes, some consumer rights are at risk of being a casualty thanks to the war with GameStop.
You don't go to Wal Mart and see that, but you certainly see it on Amazon (via the Amazon Marketplace).

Yes. They already made the money on the first sale.

Do record companies deserve a cut from used CD sales? No.

Once it is bought it is the purchasers item to do with what they choose to do.

DING DING DING DING give this guy a new car

I haven't seen clothing companies attempt to restrict the sale of second hand clothes. I don't see car manufacturers asking for restrictions to be placed on selling their used vehicles. I don't get why video games should be any different.

edit: personally, I don't buy used games often but I do like to resell them or trade them in once I'm done with them. Also the argument above could be applied to movies on dvd/blu-ray or books if you want a similar price comparison.

seeing media like dvd,cd,video games have copy right on them you 100 percent don't own the product. Just like game systems if you read fine print yes you buy the product but sony and ms still own the rights to that product which is why they can change it when ever they want and update dashboard when ever they want even if you don't want them to. in the consumer world no one owns everything 100 percent.

I haven't seen clothing companies attempt to restrict the sale of second hand clothes. I don't see car manufacturers asking for restrictions to be placed on selling their used vehicles. I don't get why video games should be any different.
people really need to stop comparing videogames,movies,music to clothes and cars lololol it's not even the same dang things and media has diff laws and what not.

Thank you. Some of these people saying greedy devs and publishers are pathetic. How dare the people with the actual talent and doing the hard work actually want to get every dollar they can from sales? Meanwhile GameStop which doesn't do ANYTHING for gaming -- they don't create, innovate, nothing -- gets billions. These people have been bending over for GameStop for so long it's like they have Stockholm Syndrome. They don't know nothing else but making GameStop rich by taking $10 for a $60 game with a smile. It's pathetic.

When GameStop is gone, YOU WON'T MISS THEM. They are not needed for a healthy game industry. They have no TALENT, no CREATIVITY, no NOTHING. They are a middle man whose time is just about up. The game industry does not care if you sell your games privately. They have said this many times.

Thank you. Some of these people saying greedy devs and publishers are pathetic. How dare the people with the actual talent and doing the hard work actually want to get every dollar they can from sales? Meanwhile GameStop which doesn't do ANYTHING for gaming -- they don't create, innovate, nothing -- gets billions. These people have been bending over for GameStop for so long it's like they have Stockholm Syndrome. They don't know nothing else but making GameStop rich by taking $10 for a $60 game with a smile. It's pathetic.

When GameStop is gone, YOU WON'T MISS THEM. They are not needed for a healthy game industry. They have no TALENT, no CREATIVITY, no NOTHING. They are a middle man whose time is just about up. The game industry does not care if you sell your games privately. They have said this many times.
Did we broke CAG? Anyways I think you should calm down with the caps, and publishers don't give a damn about us the consumers either. I don't care about GameStop, just care about the things I paid for physically should be my property and I can do whatever legally I want with it.

Sure, that CD says you can't have an unauthorised public performance, but it doesn't stop you playing it at a party. Yes, the DVD says you shouldn't copy it, but it can't actually prevent you ripping it to your laptop to watch on the train. Absolutely, that game says it's only for the use of one person and unauthorised resale is banned, but I can still physically take the disc out of the drive and give it to a friend or put it on eBay. The people who have grown accustomed to licensing restrictions are only those who seek to impose the restrictions; actual consumers have yet to feel the cold hand of these restrictions on their day to day behaviour. - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-14-the-xbox-one-question-why-did-microsoft-do-it

Any used market is a perfect example. It's just a different product. I wouldn't say only gaming has this environment. There are local stores where I live that have the same sort of thing with DVDs, Blurays, and CDs but it is rather unique other than that. It doesn't matter though that is the environment that has popped up, it changes nothing. They still should get nothing from used sales just like every used market.

GS isn't going anywhere any time soon and if the game industry doesn't care about private sales why has the XBone completely eliminated private sales other than one sale ever to someone who has been on your friends list for over 30 days.

There is nothing wrong with a middleman. They have built a business around selling used games, used game people want because $50 is much more palatable than $60. Maybe $10 means nothing to you but it may mean a lot to some people.

and to say companys only close down because they make bad games is just dumb. their has been so many great game companys that have made great games had to close down thanks to low profit and only thing i blame that on is the jump in used game sales this gen 

Ok, so I'm a bit slow and I admit it so what's the diff between Carmax selling new and used cars? I know people are on here saying you can't compare the two (games and cars) but why not? Thx.

and to say companys only close down because they make bad games is just dumb. their has been so many great game companys that have made great games had to close down thanks to low profit and only thing i blame that on is the jump in used game sales this gen
You mean like Square Enix? You mean like THQ?

There is nothing wrong with a middleman. They have built a business around selling used games, used game people want because $50 is much more palatable than $60. Maybe $10 means nothing to you but it may mean a lot to some people.
if you can't afford 60 bucks why could you afford 50
It's $10 extra in your pocket. That makes a huge difference to some people.

those are publishers not game studios

extra 10 dollers with worth a sealed brand new game

Look man not trying to beat a dead horse here but if an individual can't afford something then he or she shouldn't be buying it.

Yea, get your poor asses out of this rich man's xbox forum! What do you think this is? A forum for finding good deals? Retail or GTFO!

so people can't support the un consumer xbox one but support gamestop buy buying a 50 doller used game when they only give 15-20 bucks to the person trading in the used game? now that puzzles me.

Ok, so I'm a bit slow and I admit it so what's the diff between Carmax selling new and used cars? I know people are on here saying you can't compare the two (games and cars) but why not? Thx.
Probably because one decays, the other does not.

The only fair comparison (as has already been pointed out) would be Music. Movies as well. even those two arent "fair", because profit comes from other avenue's. (Box office for movies, concerts, memorabilia, etc for music)

The day I buy a game, it plays just as it would 10 years later. The day I buy a car, it starts to degrade from use. 10 years later, it is not the car it once was.. even assuming perfect maintenance records. I.E. Car's have a shelf life. Once that life is hit, the majority of car's require a large dollar amount to keep operational. (Thus why leasing is so popular, the entire point is to "always" have a new car and avoid the problems of having a car 5-10 years old)

I know it's trendy to hate on Square executives because of their high sales expectations but the truth of the matter is that as a publicly traded company you need to please your investors. No one gives a shit about quality. Every investor is looking for COD or Halo like sales figures. It all comes down to short term gains. You don't move the needle unless you make news.

COD is loathed by most gamers but there isn't a single publisher or developer out there that doesn't want a piece of their success. That series with its crazy sales numbers does more for Activision's stock price then 20 successful indie or new IP titles. Everyone is focused on making as much money as humanely possible. The sooner one realizes this the better we all are for it.

Yea, get your poor asses out of this rich man's xbox forum! What do you think this is? A forum for finding good deals? Retail or GTFO!
buying a 50 doller used game is not being a CAG lol

so let me get this right people don't want o support anti consumer xbox one but will gladly walk into gamestop buy a used game for 50 bucks when they only give person 20 dollers for that game. plz tell me out that right their is not anti consumer

I notice in a lot of complaints about the Xbox One "Kinect required" is always thrown in there. Am I missing something or do you have to balance the Kinect sensor on your forehead while you play? You plug in your Xbox plug in Kinect and thats it, if Kinect was sold separately for $100-$200 then I would understand the outrage and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
I have 2 Xbox 360s in one room. Imagine that nightmware. The way MS has worded things, you may not be able to turn off every voice command, so I'd be controlling both systems at once.

Also, imagine lugging your Xbox One and your Kinect to other locations. My buddy comes over once a week to play coop. Before I got a 360 he could use, he had to bring his with him.

I notice in a lot of complaints about the Xbox One "Kinect required" is always thrown in there. Am I missing something or do you have to balance the Kinect sensor on your forehead while you play? You plug in your Xbox plug in Kinect and thats it, if Kinect was sold separately for $100-$200 then I would understand the outrage and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
I have 2 Xbox 360s in one room. Imagine that nightmware. The way MS has worded things, you may not be able to turn off every voice command, so I'd be controlling both systems at once.

Also, imagine lugging your Xbox One and your Kinect to other locations. My buddy comes over once a week to play coop. Before I got a 360 he could use, he had to bring his with him.
It's about time Microsoft releases a handheld, dammit!

Just sayin'.

so let me get this right people don't want o support anti consumer xbox one but will gladly walk into gamestop buy a used game for 50 bucks when they only give person 20 dollers for that game. plz tell me out that right their is not anti consumer

So Gamestop is making them trade in the games for $20?

Obviously someone else is perfectly happy to take that $20, and what you seem to forget is the Flipside. If I didn't trade in some of the games I had to BB/GS I would never buy some of the $60 games I have. So the pubs/devs do see money from GS. From all the people who pre-order with the trade in credit.

Do you think Day One/Preorders would be lower or higher without trade credit from places?

I know it's trendy to hate on Square executives because of their high sales expectations but the truth of the matter is that as a publicly traded company you need to please your investors. No one gives a shit about quality. Every investor is looking for COD or Halo like sales figures. It all comes down to short term gains. You don't move the needle unless you make news.

COD is loathed by most gamers but there isn't a single publisher or developer out there that doesn't want a piece of their success. That series with its crazy sales numbers does more for Activision's stock price then 20 successful indie or new IP titles. Everyone is focused on making as much money as humanely possible. The sooner one realizes this the better we all are for it.
They don't give a damn about quality, selling me a 5 hour game for $60, why should I care if they lose money. The execs running the company to the ground, shouldn't be the consumers problem. Blocking used games isn't going to suddenly convince people to come out and pay $60 for a new game.

You know what the ironic thing about this whole argument? Gamestop will probably be one of those participating retailers that MS will allow you to trade in games to. That basically means it has nothing to do with stopping GameStop, and it is just to cut our private sales.

"Everyone is focused on making as much money as humanely possible. The sooner one realizes this the better we all are for it."

Hence why we need physical and digital as an option. Going full digital on either the xbox one or ps4, will not guarantee low prices.

Titanfall is for X1, X360 and PC only!

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/18/titanfall-exclusive-to-xbox-due-to-microsofts-cloud/

Right up there with the Sony exec saying people would work a second job to afford a PS3 because it would be so great.

Amazing how out of touch some of these corporate reps can be.
A lot of what MS has said has been terrible.

499.99!

The cloud can do so much!

Have you seen Titanfall? Enough said, conversation over.

We're delivering thousands of dollars worth of entertainment!

We have a system for people without Internet, the 360.

What I am curious about is the 10 person family sharing thing. 

So if I buy all the games and my little brother is part of my family (10 person) He can play any game in my library anytime he wants to without me having to send the game to his account permanently? If it works like this and you have a great group of friends you essentially would not need to buy very many games, especially the single player games that you play, beat, and then put on a shelf. 

Is this how it works or am I incorrect?

Here's another great article - 11 X1 Myths Debunked

http://m.oxm.co.uk/56581/blog/11-xbox-one-myths-debunked-kinect-online-checks-game-prices-and-more/

They don't give a damn about quality, selling me a 5 hour game for $60, why should I care if they lose money. The execs running the company to the ground, shouldn't be the consumers problem. Blocking used games isn't going to suddenly convince people to come out and pay $60 for a new game.

Why should you care? Because your a Gamer, that's why.

Which option would you prefer:

A non/limited resale environment where publisher/developers get their fare share of used game sales

OR

A freemium version of every game where you need to purchase everything separate. (Guns, Maps, Diff character classes, etc)

It's one or the other guys. It really is. Guess which version is winning right now?

I can't blame Gamestop for taking advantage of idiots willing to sell at really low prices and buy at really high prices. I personally make a profit at Gamestop. I sell games with trade-in promos for higher than I paid for them and I buy games for really low when they are on sale.

Whenever someone quotes prices at Gamestop making them out to be some evil corporation it's obvious they don't know how to shop there. As with any store: people paying high prices support the company more than people who only buy things on sale.

If someone doesn't like the prices at Gamestop they can shop somewhere else, that's not anti-consumer. Profits not going to the publisher isn't anti-consumer either, the publisher isn't a consumer.

when i buy movies,music,video games i tend to buy brand new if i enjoy products and they give me joy why not support the people that makes that stuff.
So, if you support the people who make the video games, why are you on a site called Cheap Ass Gamer? I'd imagine someone who supports people who make the video games would buy them at full price when they are first released, correct? Else, how are these people going to be making any money if we are all buying the games from bargain bins, etc.?

I hope neither one of you have ever rented a movie from a video store or Red Box. Think of all the lost sales you have caused over the years..

Why should you care? Because your a Gamer, that's why.

Which option would you prefer:

A non/limited resale environment where publisher/developers get their fare share of used game sales

OR

A freemium version of every game where you need to purchase everything separate. (Guns, Maps, Diff character classes, etc)

It's one or the other guys. It really is. Guess which version is winning right now?
Things have been working fine as-is. We have a physical and digital option. Whether a publisher makes money, it is their responsibility to make a game within their means. I'm not bailing them out and bending over for them to make them happy.

I hope neither one of you have ever rented a movie from a video store or Red Box. Think of all the lost sales you have caused over the years..
Someone dosent know that the movie industry gets money each time a video is renting from a video store, red box, or a streaming service. Gaming publishers/developers do not. Which by the way is the only media that dosent. (Since music gets profit per song stream as well)

It's been brought up before but the AAA model for games is pretty broken and there isn't really room for mid-level games in terms of budget or sales. We saw this with Dead Space 3 & Tomb Raider. Those franchises aren't that big and were expected to do COD type numbers.

seeing media like dvd,cd,video games have copy right on them you 100 percent don't own the product. Just like game systems if you read fine print yes you buy the product but sony and ms still own the rights to that product which is why they can change it when ever they want and update dashboard when ever they want even if you don't want them to. in the consumer world no one owns everything 100 percent.

people really need to stop comparing videogames,movies,music to clothes and cars lololol it's not even the same dang things and media has diff laws and what not.
Their "EULAs" and licenses mean nothing when the government has already ruled that it is perfectly legal to sell your used games/music/movies/etc. They can make the licenses sound as scary as they want, but the law says otherwise...

Things have been working fine as-is. We have a physical and digital option. Whether a publisher makes money, it is their responsibility to make a game within their means. I'm not bailing them out and bending over for them to make them happy.
It's working fine for you... it's not working fine for the publishers or they woudnt be switching to a freemium model, would they? I mean, if everything is a-ok, why rock the boat...right?

Obvious answer is because everything is not a-ok. Some could be attributed toward investors ever hungry for more profits, but certainly not all.

Someone dosent know that the movie industry gets money each time a video is renting from a video store, red box, or a streaming service. Gaming publishers/developers do not. Which by the way is the only media that dosent. (Since music gets profit per song stream as well)
No they don't, only digital rentals, they get commission off each sale. Physical discs are bought at wholesale price from the distributors that is it. They don't get a commission off each physical disc rental. If they want to buy the physical discs at wholesale price they have to agree to terms set by the movie distributor like 30 days after a DVD release. If they don't agree they can still buy the movies at retail price which will cost them more.

It's working fine for you... it's not working fine for the publishers or they woudnt be switching to a freemium model, would they? I mean, if everything is a-ok, why rock the boat...right?

Obvious answer is because everything is not a-ok. Some could be attributed toward investors ever hungry for more profits, but certainly not all.
You know why? Cause people are sick and tired of paying for $60 games that need day 1 patches and dlc to complete the experience. They are also at war with $1-$5 app games.

It's been brought up before but the AAA model for games is pretty broken and there isn't really room for mid-level games in terms of budget or sales. We saw this with Dead Space 3 & Tomb Raider. Those franchises aren't that big and were expected to do COD type numbers.
I don't think either of those games lost money individually (despite Square Enix stating they overall lost money that quarter) they just didn't meet their ridiculously high expectations.

Yes because people are only buying 1 game for their console and that is it, as opposed to say 10, 20 or even 50+ games which equates to $100, $200 or even $500 in savings.

No one said anything about not being able to afford $60. It's a matter of how you want to spend your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back