Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name="Gamer4life88" post="10845687" timestamp="1371713787"]How long before they drop the mandatory kinect BS and offer a SKU without one? I don't see why they can't now, PS4 is still $100 cheaper which can sway a lot of people.

None of my friends are getting the new Xbox anytime soon (and none are even on PS) but if they dropped the damn Kinect (and price) which I will never use, even for the TV crap, I would go ahead and get the Xbone cause I am digging the new COD and BF4. Am I wrong to think that the new Xbox doesn't come with a headset? If so...so weak.

Funny how Xbox One fanboys wanted us all to shut up. You should be very happy we didn't because now you get a console worth owning.

Wow, now people are taking the credit for Xbox changing their policies....LOL
Well they didn't change them out of the kindness of their heart. Who should we credit if not the people who complained?

None of my friends are getting the new Xbox anytime soon (and none are even on PS) but if they dropped the damn Kinect (and price) which I will never use, even for the TV crap, I would go ahead and get the Xbone cause I am digging the new COD and BF4. Am I wrong to think that the new Xbox doesn't come with a headset? If so...so weak.
Titanfall is the main reason why I'm interested in the Xbox One, that game made me drool. If they remove the mandatory kinect I will buy both consoles. And you're right about the Xbox one not including a headset, the ps4 does offer one but its just these little earbud things. Better than nothin' I suppose haha. I'm still praying my Trittons will work with the PS4.

Funny how Xbox One fanboys wanted us all to shut up. You should be very happy we didn't because now you get a console worth owning.
Well they didn't change them out of the kindness of their heart. Who should we credit if not the people who complained?
It was just funny the particular person who accepted the lifetime achievement award for helping Xbox change their stance. Did Xbox change their minds due to the outcry...oh yes...but this person seemed to be accepting the award...lol.

It was just funny the particular person who accepted the lifetime achievement award for helping Xbox change their stance. Did Xbox change their minds due to the outcry...oh yes...but this person seemed to be accepting the award...lol.
I just feel bad for people like that. Just like the people who were like, "yeah, now you get to keep your games, you can thank us later!" Who said we wouldn't be able to? It's all speculation isn't it? By the way, the (now gone) digital disc library was supposed to be tied to your account wasn't it? Meaning you could go to a friends house on his Xbox One and you could show him what games you've got and be able to play them. What was to stop MS from making it where you could carry that said library onto the next-gen Xbox (after Xbox One)? Was there absolutely no positive that could have come from this had Microsoft carried on forward? You guys say that these games would never be sold at a sale price similar to Steam, how do you know that though? All this speculating, everyone seems to think the worst of MS. Some of you act like you had the worst experience ever with the Xbox 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, discs are back, along with used games, does it force Microsoft to alter their pricing model for digital distribution?

360 has been pretty terrible with the games on demand pricing, but IF they want to force digital distribution, will digital games be $10 less at release?

I feel like I answered my own question with the 360 reference...
I think the fact that all games will hit the xbox marketplace the same day as retail is a good sign.

I also see Tomb Raider is on the xbox marketplace for $30 which is the same price as amazon right now.

I don't think digital games will be lower on release, but I think we might see better digital sales next gen.
The problem with digital only is there was still the retail factor involved. If MS truly cares about not undercutting the retailer (lol?) then with the discs still in the store they wouldn't undercut the retailer as much, maybe $10 here and there? We wouldn't see Steam like sales, because Steam doesn't have to worry about retailers at all. They only have to worry about fulfilling the developers and customers needs.

With that said, Steam is still the best option overall for gaming: The games are cheap and plentiful. Let me know when Sony or MS start getting humble bumble deals and awesome steam sales every 3-6 months.

Haha saw this on Reddit

We all make mistakes...
depady4e.jpg

I was looking forward to the Xbox One as it was (especially not having to swap discs), and wish Microsoft would've stood their ground. I guess it's my turn to complain? I don't mind having to "check in" every 24 hours. I hope they at least make it optional.

Agreed. I don't buy used. I don't trade in my games. I am online 99% of the time. The new system will have given me a lot of benefits that are missing now.

So all these policies for the future of gaming have been removed after the massive uproar. It's really pathetic just shows they were just greedy and power hungry but have realized its hurt them so are changing. It's nothing to do with their "vision of the future of gaming".

It's good news for gamers, but I still don't trust them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1gout2/the_real_winner_now/camhu6b

Interesting comment on Reddit. I wonder how much truth there is though to the situation with Sony.
It's a passionate rant, he seems to be missing the point that smaller companies can still put their games out download only, like they do now on PS3/360.
And according to, I believe it was Scott Rohde in the Giant Bomb Audio Dumptruck, the indie titles are capable of setting their own prices like on Steam. So it's reasonable to believe that bigger companies *MAY* have that option as well.

So all these policies for the future of gaming have been removed after the massive uproar. It's really pathetic just shows they were just greedy and power hungry but have realized its hurt them so are changing. It's nothing to do with their "vision of the future of gaming".

I disagree. They tried to do something completely different in the next generation. Sony updated a controller and graphics and the Internet uproars. MS says ok that's what you want? Here you go.

They really tried to do something completely different but due to the Internet furor and bad press they jumped and I believe they jumped way early enough to still be ready for November.

overall, I'm glad that Microsoft changed their tune and I may keep my preorder now.

I would have liked a lot more information on the Friends thing before it got canned though.

I'm just throwing it out there, but do you think that their sudden announcement of the Friends thing was damage control after the reveal and that it didn't go over well with publishers?  I could see Microsoft making this announcement and then publishers jumping down their throats because of the implications.  Maybe it wasn't even consumer complaints that ultimately got things changed.

I'm just throwing that out there and there's probably no validity to it, but I know that being able to share with friends would have probably ended up with less overall purchases from me and my friends than we do on current gen consoles.

I disagree. They tried to do something completely different in the next generation. Sony updated a controller and graphics and the Internet uproars. MS says ok that's what you want? Here you go.

They really tried to do something completely different but due to the Internet furor and bad press they jumped and I believe they jumped way early enough to still be ready for November.
I dont get comments like this. Sony only updated graphics and controller. Guess Gaikai, better indie support, the streaming functions, etc dont count.

But Microsoft pulling a shittier Steam with the DRM, a gamesharing plan that the PS3 had, PC like cloud service that hasnt been fully realized and wont until internet gets better; apparently all of that is "new".

I dont get comments like this. Sony only updated graphics and controller. Guess Gaikai, better indie support, the streaming functions, etc dont count.

But Microsoft pulling a shittier Steam with the DRM, a gamesharing plan that the PS3 had, PC like cloud service that hasnt been fully realized and wont until internet gets better; apparently all of that is "new".

Game sharing on the PS3 is an exploit not a benefit.

We both now get upgraded PS3's and 360's

Microsoft went out on a limb to try and change gaming for the better or for the worse who knows because we were 5 months from ever knowing. At least they tried to change the experience.

And what you said could basically be said for the PS4. Gaikai? Not new. Paid Multiplayer, not new :)

Game sharing on the PS3 is an exploit not a benefit.

We both now get upgraded PS3's and 360's

Microsoft went out on a limb to try and change gaming for the better or for the worse who knows because we were 5 months from ever knowing. At least they tried to change the experience.

And what you said could basically be said for the PS4. Gaikai? Not new. Paid Multiplayer, not new :)
I wasnt saying it was new in general. I was saying it was an added benefit the ps3 didnt have. And unlike the XOne, will be a way to access old games to make up for lack of bc.

And ljke you said, we wont know how everything would have turned out. But theres something to be said about being smart and gradual w change instead of diving headfirst into such a big change.

Of course, it was all about control. For Microsoft, control = defining the market = capitalizing on that financially. If anyone ever believed they were after anything else they're just naive. Microsoft seemingly woke up to some vocal (and pre-orders) market research and decided the longer-term fanancial gains won't mean much if they never get to the long-term because of the short term punishment they were going to be taking.

How long before they drop the mandatory kinect BS and offer a SKU without one? I don't see why they can't now, PS4 is still $100 cheaper which can sway a lot of people.
Yep. I 100% applaud MS for getting rid of the DRM, online check ins etc. But I'm sticking with my PS4 preorder as its $100 less and I hate motion control and voice command stuff so I have no interest in Kinect or it being shoe horned into games once it's packed in. I may gwtnknedown the road after price drops, but only if I start gaming more again as I just don't play enough to own multiple consoles right now.

I doubt they'll offer a sku without it though since it's so integrated into the OS, the TV stuff they showed etc.

But again, I applaud MS for changing stance in the DRM etc. and it's a great example of why consumers need to be vocal and take a stance when a company is trying to erode consumer rights. If everyone had just rolled over and either accepted it or just quietly decided to go over to Sony as many in this thread were telling those complaining to do, they never would have changed course. This shows what can happen when people are vocal on forums, twitter and other outlets.

Hopefully both Sony and MS now go more gradually in moving to digital and incentivize it by making digital games more attractive than disc games to all but collectors by making them cheaper, making them available sooner, giving free extra content etc. rather than just forcing them down our throat at the same price, and a half assed transition with install discs with limited resell options.

Well, feel sorry for those selling all their 360 stuff and boycotting MS. LOL.
Why would I feel sorry for boycotting MS? They are still a terrible company who tried to push all these extreme anti-consumer requirements onto us. This boycotting helped lead to these changes we saw yesterday.

I'll admit I have always been a huge PlayStation fan and have never liked MS, but this whole fiasco has made me dislike the company even more. HOWEVER, it's nice to see they did change their policies because it seemed like the PS4 was going to destroy it; I don't want that because competition is good for the industry.

Today, everyone wins. I still have no plans to get an Xbox One and had planned to never get one. But now it's nice to know I will pick one up eventually when they are $200 or less. There are some games I'm interested in (Quantum Break) but I can't support a company anytime soon who tried pulling this kind of stunt. They need to earn my trust back.

The problem with digital only is there was still the retail factor involved. If MS truly cares about not undercutting the retailer (lol?) then with the discs still in the store they wouldn't undercut the retailer as much, maybe $10 here and there? We wouldn't see Steam like sales, because Steam doesn't have to worry about retailers at all. They only have to worry about fulfilling the developers and customers needs.

With that said, Steam is still the best option overall for gaming: The games are cheap and plentiful. Let me know when Sony or MS start getting humble bumble deals and awesome steam sales every 3-6 months.
I've never understood this argument. That's like saying Walmart can't discount a game because Target will get upset. And the digital version offers less so you could say Microsoft is pricing an inferior product for less. I just don't buy this can't undercut retailers argument. In fact Sony has been pricing digital Vita games $5 cheaper than retail for quite a while now.

Agreed. I don't buy used. I don't trade in my games. I am online 99% of the time. The new system will have given me a lot of benefits that are missing now.
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to have all the same features if you purchase a digital copy of the game. In reality they will likely offer these benefits down the line to entice people to buy digital only. Only thing you really lost today was Microsoft having complete control over the market and 24 hour check in. Everything else should be doable on digital content, if not blame it on Microsoft, not everyone who stood up for consumer rights.

This is easily a situation where MS could've had it both ways for consumers, offer both digital and physical, physical would have same benefits it does now, digital could've had all the benefits MS wanted it to have along with cheaper pricing to entice people to gradually move there. This was a boneheaded way to do it and yes they paid for it.

This is easily a situation where MS could've had it both ways for consumers, offer both digital and physical, physical would have same benefits it does now, digital could've had all the benefits MS wanted it to have along with cheaper pricing to entice people to gradually move there. This was a boneheaded way to do it and yes they paid for it.
Agreed. They're just taking their toys and going home. They could even have the family sharing for digital downloads to ease people into it then if it went over well go all digital next gen.

Just a quick post regarding my thoughts about yesterday news...

Very happy to see the change in direction from MS... I would have just been happy with being able to have an offline DRM check via disc but this works for me. I will certainly be getting a XBone day one now (though if the PS4 continues to be sold out than I might get it too just to resell it) as I see no real reason to get a PS4 day one. There's just no exclusives that I truly care about at release where as Forza 5 is the game I've been waiting to play for a long, long, time now...

Still not convinced that the XBone will be my primary system when everything is said in done, will have to wait for some comparisons to come out, but I know I'll like the Xbone exclusives enough to warrant the purchase. (Really, outside of Uncharted, LBP, and MLB The Show... There's not to many PS3 franchises I really care about...)

Rippn, I'm not sure how to quote on mobile, but the price Argument on digital vs disc vs retailer pricing is more complex than Target vs. Walmart IMO. Microsoft is saying MSRP should be 59.99. But if they want to push digital to marginalize used game sales..don't they have to lower the digital media price? So Walmart sells at 59.99, but Microsoft sells at 49.99. I can smell trouble...

The alternative would be to have the digital benefits (like family sharing) to encourage digital adoption.

Why would I feel sorry for boycotting MS? They are still a terrible company who tried to push all these extreme anti-consumer requirements onto us. This boycotting helped lead to these changes we saw yesterday.

I'll admit I have always been a huge PlayStation fan and have never liked MS, but this whole fiasco has made me dislike the company even more. HOWEVER, it's nice to see they did change their policies because it seemed like the PS4 was going to destroy it; I don't want that because competition is good for the industry.

Today, everyone wins. I still have no plans to get an Xbox One and had planned to never get one. But now it's nice to know I will pick one up eventually when they are $200 or less. There are some games I'm interested in (Quantum Break) but I can't support a company anytime soon who tried pulling this kind of stunt. They need to earn my trust back.
LOL

They need to earn your trust back. What are they, a girlfriend who cheated on you? Get a life.

Don't underestinate Walmart's influence. If they even threaten to not carry something, most companies will change it to get it on their shelves. Especially to a company that focuses on the US (as Walmart performs terribly overseas)

I think Pachter said not that long ago that Videogames aren't a huge part of Walmart's business though, so I don't know if they'd care.

Don't underestinate Walmart's influence. If they even threaten to not carry something, most companies will change it to get it on their shelves. Especially to a company that focuses on the US (as Walmart performs terribly overseas)
Agreed but I wanted to correct one small misconception. Walmart's fastest growing market is China. It also has shown strong growth in Canada, Mexico and UK. So, it's actually doing pretty well overseas. It turns out that people around the globe are much the same.... it's not just us "dumb" Americans.

Walmart's latest earning report.

Funny now that the "evil DRM" is gone people saying they weren't getting an Xbox One and the most vocal against it are...wait for it....still not getting the Xbox One lol. Was never about the DRM its just fanboys making mountains out of molehills
So true! The problem isn't the DRM, it's the fact that people are so far up their ass now with Xbox hate they have no other option but to hate. It's always cool to run with the crowd like I've seen many people in most of the forums doing. Reddit is also bad, but at least some of them have come around.
If MS had seen the error in their ways and changed it's restrictions that would have been one thing. Instead they tried to fuck gamers over to make more money, and only stopped trying to fuck gamers over when they realized that it was costing them money.

If you hang out with someone and they steal a bunch of your stuff, but then they get caught and give it back you aren't going to want to hangout with them again. Even if MS isn't fucking people over this gen they have still shown that they are liars who want to fuck over thier consumers.

Nor should people trust MS to not try to add the DRM features back in later if they get a big enough install base.

LOL

They need to earn your trust back. What are they, a girlfriend who cheated on you? Get a life.
Just expressing my views, you need to chill. :lol:

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

I imagine in post-launch units they'll remove the internet requirement to complete the dashboard/OS.  This is a pretty impressive backtrack though.  My interest in Xbone has gone from 0% to 10% on this news.  But alas, my interest in PS4 is 50% at the moment.

Good thing they came to their senses... they wouldn't have made it to another generation if they would have kept the DRM system in place. Now they just need to get rid of the mandatory Kinect thing and they'll be set. Personally I'm still leaning towards the PS4, but it'll still be a year or two before I pickup a new console.

Seriously, at this point I don't see any real exclusives on either system that truly make me want to buy one right now. I mean hell if Titanfall is awesome, great, but it won't be out this year. If Second Son sets a new standard for Superhero games, fantastic, but it's in that magic "launch window" timeframe that means nothing. Exciting non-exclusives like KH3, FFXV and Destiny? Still a long ways off. And to average consumer-A lot of those big titles are cross-gen. They'll be like "why would I pay $400-$500 for Destiny when I can get it on what I already have?" Same thing goes for Titanfall if they own a 360. Sure in two years it won't be like that, but that's a pretty long ways off atm.

I think this opinion piece from game informer pretty much sums it all up and is exactly how I feel about it. Give people the choice and a reason to go digital. Don't ram it down everyone's throat.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/06/20/microsoft-swaps-stick-for-carrot-in-pursuit-of-digital-future.aspx
For the first time in a while, I wholeheartedly agree. Choice whether real or perceived would have been the way to go. Everyone gets what they want.

I think this opinion piece from game informer pretty much sums it all up and is exactly how I feel about it. Give people the choice and a reason to go digital. Don't ram it down everyone's throat.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/06/20/microsoft-swaps-stick-for-carrot-in-pursuit-of-digital-future.aspx
And see they barely talked about any benefits at all. If they had these in the first place, I'd at least think it might be worth the hassles it came with. Aside from family sharing they didn't have these and they barely mentioned it when it was a strong selling point. Again I serious think there needs to be some executive level heads rolling because this was handled so poorly on all ends

LOL

Well that was rude. Consumers and the companies that produce the products they purchase do have a relationship of sorts, and your girlfriend analogy is actually a good one. If a company does something you don't like, lies about their products, or otherwise does something to harm that relationship, like in this case MS DRM, you have every right to "break up" with them. If a company does things that benefit you as the consumer then that strengthens the relationship. Even though MS has cancelled their DRM plans they've still damaged the relationship with their consumers, and it will take a lot more than backtracking to completely repair it.

well fuck - I was looking forward to the family share plan thing. I was one of the few that could care less about the drm check or the questionable ability to resell games.

LOL

Well that was rude. Consumers and the companies that produce the products they purchase do have a relationship of sorts, and your girlfriend analogy is actually a good one. If a company does something you don't like, lies about their products, or otherwise does something to harm that relationship, like in this case MS DRM, you have every right to "break up" with them. If a company does things that benefit you as the consumer then that strengthens the relationship. Even though MS has cancelled their DRM plans they've still damaged the relationship with their consumers, and it will take a lot more than backtracking to completely repair it.
Seriously, Trust matters between a company and it's customers. It really is that fucking simple.
Glad to see some understand my viewpoint :applause: :D

I wonder if they will now get most of those who abandoned ship back? The X1 is now #1 at amazon, but that may not mean much because the PS4 is now split into Launch (all gone), standard (not at launch) and then a bunch of launch day bundles. It may mean, though, that MS is going to have more X1s at launch than Sony will have PS4s, and then suddenly X1 will be in the lead. So I think maybe Sony needs to ramp up production so they have more launch day consoles available.

What's funny is people are finally starting to come out and say that Sony was actually on board with the entire idea.... until they saw the backlash MS got.

I wonder what would have happened if the conference dates had been reversed.

So let's not white knight Sony please. They saw a clear opportunity to stick it to Microsoft and attempt to gain more market share, and they took it. It had absolutely nothing to do with you, the consumers.

An anonymous poster claiming to be part of Microsoft's Xbox One team has posted a statement on Pastebin explaining their frustration over Microsoft's backtracking.

First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy. The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn't have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game. We were toying around with a limit on the number of times members could access the shared game (as to discourage gamers from simply beating the game by doing multiple playthroughs). but we had not settled on an appropriate way of handling it. One thing we knew is that we wanted the experience to be seamless for both the person sharing and the family member benefiting. There weren't many models of this system already in the wild other than Sony's horrendous game sharing implementation, but it was clear their approach (if one could call it that) was not the way to go. Developers complained about the lost sales and gamers complained about overbearing DRM that punished those who didn't share that implemented by publishers to quell gamers from taking advantage of a poorly thought out system. We wanted our family sharing plan to be something that was talked about and genuinely enjoyed by the masses as a way of inciting gamers to try new games.

The motto around the offices for the family plan was "It's the console gaming equivalent to spotify and pandora" it was a social network within itself! The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn't need to be erased when they purchase the full game! It gave incentive to share your games among your peers, it gave games exposure, it allowed old games to still generate revenue for publishers. At the present time we're no longer going forward with it, but it is not completely off the table. It is still possible to implement this with the digital downloaded versions of games, and in fact that's the plan still as far as I'm aware.

If the above is true, Microsoft's family share plan wasn't even going to be like PS3's current 2 console game share policy. It would had been more like the PS+ 1 hour Game Trial benefit for PS+ members. I'm more glad now Microsoft is backpeddling cause the family plan everybody thought was possible wasn't even what Microsoft had in mind.

Agreed.

As I've said repeatedly I'm all for digital games if they're cheaper and I can average about the same per game as I do now after selling every game I beat or give up on.

I won't pay a higher per game average for digital games as I. Already at my limit of what game costs are worth relative to how much I enjoy them relative to my other hobbies.

But I'd love to average the same for digital games and not have to hassle with selling games any more, so I hope we see steam like pricing on consoles eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back