Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two the dudebro, only US sales matter. To the serious gamer, worldwide sales matter.
WTF does that even mean? It's typical of the conversation in this thread though, Mr. "Serious Gamer" with a typically snide "I'm a real gamer because I play Japanese RPGs" elitist 'tude. Can you pass the Grey Poupon while you're at it?

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF does that even mean? It's typical of the conversation in this thread though, Mr. "Serious Gamer" with a typically snide "I'm a real gamer because I play Japanese RPGs" elitist 'tude. Can you pass the Grey Poupon while you're at it?

Exactly! All hail elitist true gamer let us bow down to your greatness and JRPG/Indie awesomeness. Without true gamers like you us "dudebros" wouldn't even have gaming. Thank you for allowing us to survive in your limelight! :lol:

Hell, I've mostly played shooters and WRPGs this generation, so I'm closer to a dudebro gamer stereotype than an elitist JRPG player (haven't played a JRPG since FFX).  I was just arguing for why worldwide sales are what matter more to serious/hardcore gamers (or whatever you want to call them) who play a bunch of stuff, where as only US sales really  matter to the dudebros (or whatever you want to call them) who play little more than CoD, Madden etc.

That said, I'm burnt out on shooters--especially realistic/real world/military ones like CoD and doubt I'll ever play another one.  Definitely not online as I'm done with that type of competitive MP.  So I am trying to branch out more now that I'm gaming more on PS3 and catching up on games I missed from not getting one until 2012, and I'm looking forward to branching out in genre more on it and the PS4 come fall.

Anyway, I'm not elitist about games at all.  Just very sick of the dudebro, CoD types--aka the average, American good ole boy who thinks guns and the military are awesome etc.  Guess I'm just elitist in general--though anti-American would be a better word for it.  This culture sucks.  But I digress.

Hell, I've mostly played shooters and WRPGs this generation, so I'm closer to a dudebro gamer stereotype than an elitist JRPG player (haven't played a JRPG since FFX). I was just arguing for why worldwide sales are what matter more to serious/hardcore gamers (or whatever you want to call them) who play a bunch of stuff, where as only US sales really matter to the dudebros (or whatever you want to call them) who play little more than CoD, Madden etc.
The term your looking for is RPG fan to be honest. What defines a hardcore gamer has absolutely nothing to do with the type of games they play, but more how they play them.

Every genre can have hardcore gamers in it. That guy who 100%'ed FF10? Yeah, most likely a hardcore gamer. That dude who hit Prestige 10, gold camo every weapon in CoD? Yeah, probably a hardcore gamer.

Why is it gamers have to insult other gamers, when we've been a shunned member of society for decades? Just now it's getting to the point of being socially acceptable to be a gamer, and here we are.. tearing each other apart for one group liking Call of Duty and the other group hating it.

Ridiculous ;(

It's not just RPGs.  Also action games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry, fighting games, indie stuff like Journey, Flower etc.  Hell even platformers as few are huge hits outside the Nintendo ones these days.

You're right that hardcore gamer isn't the right term.  I'm not sure what is.  Mainstream gamer works I guess for people that just play the blockbuster AAA games like CoD, Halo, Madden, Uncharted etc. and nothing else, as that can cover both the casuals and the hardcore who play a ton of those games (or tons of hours in one or two of them every year).  

Not sure what the best term is for people who play more than just the mainstream hits, play a wide variety of genres etc.

Didn't imply it wasn't.  Ninja Gaiden was on 360 too.  As well as a handful of JRPGS.

The Xbox series isn't only shooters, sports and racing games, and the Playstation series isn't only Japanese games or indie games.

Those are just their strengths, and again it's good that they're different.  MS systems are good as the only/main platformer for people mainly into shooters/racers/sports games, and a good secondary option for people who like those games but mostly play Japanese games and/or indie games.  And vice versa for Sony systems.

And that explains why the 360 won in North America, but not in Europe or Asia, and that sets the back drop for the discussion/speculation of how next gen console sales will pan out.  Which is about all we have to discuss in this next gen thread right now--until more details about launches etc. come out anyway.  I think every poster know(s) by now which console(s), if any, they're getting at launch at this point.  So it's just speculation on how things will play out in terms of what we can discuss about next gen for now.

I have been a CAG for a long time and this is the most embarrassing thread I have read on this site by a long shot.

I don't think it needs locked but if it was it wouldn't bother me. If anything it needs moved out of the 360/X1 forum to the gaming discussion forum.

Wow follow me much?
?

Edit: I think you might be referring to me linking to your post? I wasn't, it was linking to 4thHorseman's post.

Edit 2:

I don't think it needs locked but if it was it wouldn't bother me. If anything it needs moved out of the 360/X1 forum to the gaming discussion forum.
Yeah I agree, this thread should be moved to the general gaming and industry news forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/21-general-gaming-industry-news/

It's a forums application pretty much. All in one spot

zy5y2y6e.jpg

Going off topic:

Never used tapatalk. What the hell is it exactly anyways?

It's an app that allows you to bounce back and forth between all of the forums that you regularly visit without having to login etc. it's pretty slick but has its flaws if you use it as your only browser.

According to Destructoid the MS restructure is set to be announced tomorrow. It will be interesting to see who takes over for Mattrick.

Also the X1 will be at ComicCon next week. They will be hosting a panel as well as offering two different opportunities for folks to play the X1.

So, if I had to guess.. you are the type who thinks the vast majority of corporations are evil entities?

I'm fine to trust, as long as I have a option to fall back on if that trust is broken. In this case, I did. Two in fact. (PC and PS4 respectively)

You say no promises were made, my reply would be: When have promises *ever* been made by any company of "lower prices if we do Y"? Simply because it's not that simple. Y could happen, but it could cost more then you thought, it could require more back end support, etc.. there are a ton of things to go wrong, but all the public see is you promised us lower prices if this happened. No sane executive would ever do that.

The bottom line to me is.... for the first time in the history of console gaming, we had three completely different consoles, with completely different directions, and completely different goals. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft were all going a different way at a intersection. That was exciting. Now? Now we've got Sony and Microsoft doing the exact same thing, and Nintendo going "But guys, what about meeeeeeee...!" because they simply cannot get any press after the explosions that were Sony/MS. (Guys?! Look guys, new smash brothers?! GUYS???? HELLLLOOOOOO)

I was there, and my name was on the petition actually :) (I think at the time it was one of the fastest petitions in internet history, but I could be wrong :X)

The problem with the PC market right now is everyone wants to be Steam. I know you guys think competition is fabulous and all that, but it really is hurting the PC market. As more and more publishers realize how successful steam is, they think "We want that PIE!" and here we go.... Origin is just the most widely recognized one that is a detriment to gamers in general.

It honestly would be best if we just had Steam and a non DRM equivalent (GOG or whatever your boat is). The "me too" guys need to just die in a fire.
Why do you have to pigeon-hole everyone just because they make some statement you either don't like or don't agree with? It's simply ridiculous. FWIW, I represent many of those "evil corporations", but I don't know why I have to tell you that.

And I merely brought up that no assurances had been made that digital releases would result in lower prices because YOU KEEP SAYING IT WOULD HAPPEN AS IF IT WAS GUARANTEED AS A MATTER OF FACT.

Why do you have to pigeon-hole everyone just because they make some statement you either don't like or don't agree with? It's simply ridiculous. FWIW, I represent many of those "evil corporations", but I don't know why I have to tell you that.

And I merely brought up that no assurances had been made that digital releases would result in lower prices because YOU KEEP SAYING IT WOULD HAPPEN AS IF IT WAS GUARANTEED AS A MATTER OF FACT.
I wasn't aware that asking a question was pigeon-holing everyone. This is a internet forum, where I do not know anything about you other then you apparently like Las Vegas, and are a fan of music judging by the picture.

In order to get to the bottom of someone's view points, you must ask questions. Thus, kinda why I asked. Granted it was a guess, but you did not really answer yes or no did you ;)

As to your second, I did not guarantee it would happen. I simply said IF Microsoft wanted to win, they would need to offer some sort of incentive to go all digital. Be that in the form of lower prices, ease of gaming rentals, family share... we will never know.

I guess I'll ask the question again: Can we agree that assuming there was NO benefit to going digital, and many draw backs, that odds are Microsoft would have clearly lost the "next gen war"? If you answered yes, then obviously there had to be some benefits there that we had simply not heard about or not heard enough about before the flip flop...

Consider that for a moment though, the line up that is more attractive to western audiences is what, a bunch of shooters staring personality free muscle bound army guy? Am I the only one who finds that a little sad?

You said before you've never played an indie game you enjoyed, and I'm wondering, have you actually played any? Not even something like bastion or mine craft? I wonder if you're not realizing how much will be missing by shutting out indie devs.
and the line up that is more attractive to asian audiences is what, a bunch of jrps and datings sims starring effeminate male characters with large round eyes and huge drops of sweat on their foreheads, now that is really sad hahaha

It's too bad Microsoft had to, proverbially speaking, "take its ball and go home" by killing off the family plan for digital game releases when it backpedaled on the DRM. If Sony can do it with the PS4 sans a 24-hour requirement, not sure why Microsoft could not have kept this feature on the XBone.

Maybe they can. Still plenty of time...

and the line up that is more attractive to asian audiences is what, a bunch of jrps and datings sims starring effeminate male characters with large round eyes and huge drops of sweat on their foreheads, now that is really sad hahaha
You forgot 13 year olds dressed in skimpy outfits....oh, and tentacles. Everything is better in Japan with tentacles.

I really love Japan, but my lord they are weird over there. Which makes me wonder, do they look at the US and go "Damn Merica, you some crazy shit".

^ I think it is pretty well known that most other places outside the U.S. think that ;).

And WV Matsui, I thought you might like to see this blurb about the sixth Ratchet & Clank game coming out for the PS3:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/4512678/ratchet-and-clank-into-the-nexus-ps3-insomniac-games

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were thinking about Jak & Daxter when you wrote that...

And FWIW, I'd take either of those series over anything MS puts out and I don't consider either of those particularly "Japanese" games.  Yes, the PS3 gets the JRPGs (though note the 360 got them early on and it is why I picked one up when I did).  But over the last few years the PS3 has a much broader gaming base than the 360 - that is pretty much undisputable.  You may not like all those genres but at least they are represented.  And for that fact alone I know I am "safe" with a PS4 while the X1 is likely to become a dust-collector, at least initially.

But over the last few years the PS3 has a much broader gaming base than the 360 - that is pretty much undisputable. You may not like all those genres but at least they are represented. And for that fact alone I know I am "safe" with a PS4 while the X1 is likely to become a dust-collector, at least initially.
Exactly. And that's why worldwide sales are so important to gamers with broad tastes--the more cultures a console is successful in, the broader the game library will be.

Again, that obviously doesn't matter to gamers with limited genre interests. If someone online likes things like FPS, WRPGs, Sports games, racing games etc., then how well a console sales in Asia is pretty moot to them. If someone only really plays JRPGs, then US sales are pretty meaningless to them.

To me, there's never a down side to having a broad game library. I tend to get sick of genres when I play too much of them--something I did too much of this gen by playing so many shooters and WRPGs, I like having the broadest possible range of games to explore. And like you, I'm much more confident the PS4 will provide that for me than I am the X1 given how the last few years of PS3 games vs. 360 games have panned out. But only time will tell of course. And the broadest range of options is to own multiple consoles as I have the past 3 generations--but I'm not sure I can justify that again as I struggle to keep up with games even on one platform these days.

You forgot 13 year olds dressed in skimpy outfits....oh, and tentacles. Everything is better in Japan with tentacles.
The skimpy clothes are only for adults, either good looking guys or hot and/or busty babes.

And if you think that only applies to Japan, you need to look at US movies. Many, many women only watch comic book movies because Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and Christian Bale (not to mention Mark Ruffalo) are sexy and cute. And then there's Loki.

And tentacles are only really used as parody nowadays. Most serious anime don't use it.

Now giant robots, THAT is in abundance. Which is one of the reasons why Pacific Rim kicks ass.

Dating Sims and visual novels are so abundant because they're damn cheap to make and it allows authors to write stories they wouldn't have been able to otherwise. Which is one of the reasons a lot of titles mix it with other types, such as the Fate series or the Sakura Wars series.

And saying all anime is weird and wacky is like saying all US TV shows are either dark and moody or procedural shows.

Two the dudebro, only US sales matter. To the serious gamer, worldwide sales matter.
No offense, but I honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about either. It has nothing to do with "dudebros" whatever that is or "serious gamers".

It has to do with acknowledging reality and not creating your own little world where only US sales matter/exist/bring in money.

It has to do with acknowledging reality and not creating your own little world where only US sales matter/exist/bring in money.
But to some gamers, that is all that matters. I mean to someone who only plays shooters, it didn't matter jack shit that the 360 barely sold in Japan/Asia as a whole as they didn't notice as they don't care about Japanese developed games. Where as someone who loves Japanese developed games, indie games etc. will care a lot more about how it sells in other regions so they get more support from developers in those regions.

Sure, MS cares as they lost money shipping consoles to Japan, marketing them there etc. since they didn't sell much at all relative to Nintendo or Sony. But I don't know that they care much at all with the Xbox One given that they're not launching there day one, called Japan a "tier 2" market which people there took offense to etc. I can't blame them, with how little they sold, and how little gamers there seem to care about Halo, Gears, WRPGs etc. they may honestly be better off focusing very little effort on selling their console there, and just lock in on trying to win the US again and hold their own in Europe. It's just clear that Japanese gamers aren't going to support a Western console in large numbers, so no sense wasting much resources in a lost cause.

As for American gamers, again the ones who don't care about Japanese games won't care. And those who do should just get a PS4 and maybe get an X1 down the road if there are enough exclusives they're interested in.

Point being, at the end of the day sales numbers matter nothing to gamers as long as the console has the games they want to play. And for those that only play western developed games, sales in Japan don't matter on that front as they couldn't give a rat's fart about Japanese games being on the console they own.

But to some gamers, that is all that matters. I mean to someone who only plays shooters, it didn't matter jack shit that the 360 barely sold in Japan/Asia as a whole as they didn't notice as they don't care about Japanese developed games.

Sure, MS cares as they lost money shipping consoles there, marketing them there etc. since they didn't sell much at all relative to Nintendo or Sony.

But I don't know that they care much at all with the Xbox One given that they're not launching there day one, called Japan a "tier 2" market which people there took offense to etc. I can't blame them, with how little they sold, and how little gamers there seem to care about Halo, Gears, WRPGs etc. they may honestly be better off focusing very little effort on selling their console there, and just lock in on trying to win the US again and hold their own in Europe. It's just clear that Japanese gamers aren't going to support a Western console in large numbers, so no sense wasting much resources in a lost cause.

As for American gamers, again the ones who don't care about Japanese games won't care. And those who do should just get a PS4 and maybe get an X1 down the road if there are enough exclusives they're interested in.

Point being, at the end of the day sales numbers matter nothing to gamers as long as the console has the games they want to play.
So I'm guessing you somehow glazed over my last response on the top of page 217?

In a discussion about which *console* you prefer, if a title is coming out to one *console* and not another *console*, that makes it *console exclusive* and does indeed count sir.

While I understand attempting to downplay X1's exclusives is par for the course here, let's not be bonkers about it shall we?

I'd love to hear your definition of a "hard core" gamer please?

Why, pray tell, is the PS4 better for one? From your above quote, it seems you think a hard core gamer is one who plays a variety of titles. Something usually associated with a "casual" gamer, in that they dabble in a bunch of titles.. where as a hardcore gamer masters a few titles and puts a exhaustive number of hours into said titles.

One could also look to the MLG, which is by definition "hard core gamers", and find very few.... indie titles? Japanese RPG's? Ok, I really cant continue with a straight face. We all know what games MLG play's.
I know this is from way back, but I need to reply to it. Obviously MLG doesn't play JRPGs, It's practically only a single player genre. That was an idiotic comparison and you know it. If you ask me, a "hardcore gamer," a phrase I don't use because it sounds completely idiotic, isn't someone who "masters a few titles," it's someone who games a lot. The games that the MLG plays are more what I think of a casual gamer playing, as backwards as you're going to say that is. Just because there MLG plays it doesn't mean it's the definition of "hardcore gamer," it means those games are what it's easy to make competition out of.

My god you're oblivious. How about any games that don't star faceless suits of space armor or extra super angsty marines with ridiculously tiny heads? If you think that any and all games from Japan are either creepy love simulators or visual novels, you've obviously never heard of a little company called Nintendo.

So I'm guessing you somehow glazed over my last response on the top of page 217?
Nope. Just wasn't sure about your above response as I was arguing the same thing. That dudebros are ethnocentric douchebags who only tout US sales as they don't give a fuck about the rest of the world. They just want to play their military shooters, Madden etc., and don't give a shit about "weird" japanese games (see posts above), or "gay, artsy" indie games etc.

That's why sales arguments always come back to the "herp, derp it won in the US" point when people note that the PS3 surpassed the 360 in total worldwide sales last year despite launching a year later and botching the launch. The rest of the world is irrelevant to the average, worthless American, and with gaming it honestly doesn't matter as whatever sells best in the US will have the most games they like regardless of how it sells overseas.

Nope. Just wasn't sure about your above response as I was arguing the same thing. That dudebros are ethnocentric douchebags who only tout US sales as they don't give a fuck about the rest of the world. They just want to play their military shooters, Madden etc., and don't give a shit about "weird" japanese games (see posts above), or "gay, artsy" indie games etc.

That's why sales arguments always come back to the "herp, derp it won in the US" point when people note that the PS3 surpassed the 360 in total worldwide sales last year despite launching a year later and botching the launch. The rest of the world is irrelevant to the average, worthless American, and with gaming it honestly doesn't matter as whatever sells best in the US will have the most games they like regardless of how it sells overseas.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I think it's unwillingness to admit they were wrong, possibly associated with mental illness. Some peopled just can't stand to be wrong, so they just see what the want to see from the facts and everything else is "irrelevant" in their eyes.

That dudebros are ethnocentric douchebags

The rest of the world is irrelevant to the average, worthless American
It must be fun thinking you are culturally and morally superior...even though your grammar hints that you struggled to get out of 1st grade English.

It must be fun thinking you are culturally and morally superior...even though your grammar hints that you struggled to get out of 1st grade English.
Nice try. I have a Ph D. I type fast and often post from my iPad so I can't bother fixing typos and I'm bad about typing the wrong homophone (to/two, one/won etc.) when typing fast. I guess in the above post I should have put "....arguing the same thing--that dudebros..." But who cares? It's a discussion forum, I'm not going to be anal about my writing given that the bulk of my days are spent writing scholarly research articles and obsessing over every work and piece of punctuation.

And I don't think I'm culturally or morally superior. I just think the US sucks and I'm working to shift my career abroad.

Nice try. I have a Ph D. I type fast and often post from my iPad so I can't bother fixing typos and I'm bad about typing the wrong homophone (to/two, one/won etc.) when typing fast. I guess in the above post I should have put "....arguing the same thing--that dudebros..." But who cares? It's a discussion forum, I'm not going to be anal about my writing given that the bulk of my days are spent writing scholarly research articles and obsessing over every work and piece of punctuation.

And I don't think I'm culturally or morally superior. I just think the US sucks and I'm working to shift my career abroad.
great can't wait until you leave maybe move your forum posting to a forum abroad something ending in .co.jp kthnxbye

Nah, cause even when I move abroad I'd still be playing American games, watching American movies etc. along with all the other country's stuff just like now.  Variety is the spice of life, shame many miss out on it by living in their little ethnocentric bubbles.

The next time MS decides to spend a billion dollars on games, I hope it includes pushing for Shenmue, Phantom Dust, Breakdown and Otogi.  

This video just got me pumped and it is still missing Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, D4 and more!

http://youtu.be/AlOz4kd3C58

I do want to believe Sunset Overdrive will be cool, but we basically saw a concept CG trailer. After the last couple R&C games and Fuse I don't blindly trust Insomniac like I used to. Maybe they can win me back with the new R&C game for PS3, we'll see.

So, just FYI, do not put in America, **** ya into bing with safesearch off to find a appropriate gif for this situation but. I'm not sure what those pictures had to do with America, daaammmnn.

Anyway, sure its been discussed in another thread, but looks like Julie Larson is the big winner in the mix up. Not really sure how I feel about some chick who has absolutely no gaming experience heading up Devices Group... other then perhaps knowing she will have little day to day influence over the X1. To put a positive spin on it if you want, she is known for being able to meld teams together, and is a great boss from all previous reports in the Windows division.

/Still on the fence though.

Well it could be worse, Ballmer just could said fuck it I'll run the division, I'm only the most horribly ranked CEO in America...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back