XBOX PRICE DROP!

Raider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just got the new Wal-Mart ads in, the XBOX is now going to be on Rollback to the new price of $149.92 starting in April.

added by cheapyd
xboxpricedrop.jpg

Wow, if PS2 drops along with the X-Box, I'll have to get another system (or two, if I decide the X-Box is worth getting at $150)

Well the thing about the xbox is they take a loss on the xbox hardware, remember it includes a harddrive i think and a network adapter, unlike the ps2 where you have to purchase those seperately, MS makes their money on the liscense to companies to make games on their console, plus they can take a hit on the xbox because they are filthy rich and they probably just right it off as a tax loss so they really arent losing much. I'd take xbox over ps2 any day of the week, and I dont hate MS products either haha.

Tim

The Xbox is worth it right now. Just buy a used one if you really only want to pay $140 or whatever. I had a PS2 since November 2000 and didn't much care about the Xbox for the longest time, but I got one after Christmas and have had a blast with all the exclusives.

id buy a xbox at 99.99 maybe
their just arnt enough games .

sony is rpg and strategy haven + all the other great action etc games

I JUST got a xbox yesterday so I REALLY would love a price drop within 30 days...
price match!!
And as far as exclusives go, I like the ones xbox has had as of late..colin mcrae, SWKOTOR DOA series, and now with the news of SNK games almost being exclusive to xbox due to sony's hatred of all things 2d..
I love mine so far

I would buy an xbox for $99 - but that is it. I have a GCN and PS2 so justifying another system in the house is tough. Especially when there aren't that many exclusive games worth playing, IMO. I would like it for Splinter Cell and KotOR and I guess to get the best looking versions of multiplatform games though... still $99 is as high as I'll go (unless it comes down to $120 with a pack-in)...

I think $149 is a good buy point. There are some nice upcoming Xbox games that won't be on the to PS2:

BC
Chronicles of Riddick
Dead or Alive Online
Doom III
Fable
Full Spectrum Warrior
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Otogi 2
Ralisport Challenge 2
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Sudeki
Thief III
True Fantasy Live Online

And that doesn't include the recently released Ninja Gaiden.

If you are waiting for these games to come out, byyou might as well wait until the xbox is $99 b/c all these games you just mentioned wont be out for like 9 months, if even before NEXT fall.

Get an xbox now. Ninja Gaiden, Breakdown, Crimson Skies, ESPN Baseball, all awesome titles I am playing right now (ESPN soon)

[quote name='sman113']
Get an xbox now. Ninja Gaiden, Breakdown, Crimson Skies, ESPN Baseball, all awesome titles I am playing right now (ESPN soon)[/quote]

All you jerk-offs are making it REALLY hard for me to not buy an Xbox!! Can't someone say something negative about it so I won't feel like I'm missing out on so much?!?!?

[quote name='javeryh']Something negative.... hmmmmm...

In the event of an emergency, the xbox cannot be used as a floatation device... :p[/quote]

There you go!! That's what I'm talking about!!!

Seriously, mobsters could use that thing to sink bodies in the east river. "Sleep with da fishes," indeed! Those are some hefty consoles.

**i still want one...sniff...sniff...**

You're right, I got excited. Many of those games won't hit till Q4, but I don't think the Xbox will drop to $99 anytime soon (a year?, year and half?), so I'll revise my previous post:

I think $149 is a good buy point for the Xbox. There are some nice exclusives that I feel make it worth owning:

Right now, you can play KOTOR, Project Gotham Racing 2, Rainbow Six 3, Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies, Deus Ex 2, Elder Scroll 3, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, Colin Mcrae Rally 04, Top Spin, Moto GP 2 and, of course, Halo...to name a few.

Next week, you can play Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

In two to three months, you can play (according to ebgames release info):

rallisport challenge 2 5/4
thief 3 5/17
dead or alive 6/1
sudeki 6/1
full spectrum warrior 6/8
fable 6/15

And then you can wait for Christmas (hopefully) and pick up a few of these:

BC
Chronicles of Riddick
Doom III
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Otogi 2
Star Wars: Republic Commando
True Fantasy Live Online

Meh, I'll be realistically negative and say that you should wait until it comes down. I may pick one up if it ever hits $99 (which, in all reality it may never do) so I can play some Ninja Gaiden and Fable. Heck, every once in awhile I get the inkling to play some co-op Halo, and Halo 2 ought to be great also. KOTOR I already played and beat when my friend let me borrow his XBox while he studied in Europe. Most of the other games you mentioned are coming to PC, so I'd rather get those versions of them.

At some point, however, if you consider yourself a true gamer, you definitely should pick one up. The NeXtBox looks so far like it won't have any backwards-compatibility (in fact, I'd give 10-1 odds against it), so all of those neat exclusives will be locked to that wonderful black monolith forever.

I'll say the prime reason I got mine now was that I desperately wanted to play colin mcrae, pazner dragoon orta, KOTOR, and all the upcoming SNK games..
good thing is, they're cheap!
Halo, doa3, and probably rallisport 2 are on my next to buy lists...
so, back on topic, any news on when this price drop will hit? I NEED it to happen soon for a price match!

I have to say that Xbox's graphics put the ps2 to shame. I'd love to get one for Doom 3 (no way that one's gonna play on my old box).

I was anti-Xbox for a long time, owning only the PS2 and Cube. I bought one 4Q02 and the thing died after 3 months, so I swore it off even more. Then in 4Q03 I bought a 16x9 HDTV. I buckled again and bought the Xbox.

There's really no comparison to PS2 on bigger TVs. You need the Xbox's higher res and HDTV modes just so the graphics don't look like total ass. Cube still stays in the running but just barely. I still like the Cube design the best of all of them, it's just shorted on titles a lot.

$150 is insane, $99 is ludicruous. IIt seems like just yesterday these were all selling for $300. Is technology getting cheaper/faster, or am I just getting old?

[quote name='n00bie']April Fools?[/quote]

This is was awhile ago, but I just wanted to say... I'm pretty sure that a company wouldn't allow it's reputatain to be diminished by making tons of people coming in and them saying sorry, it's a "typo" or, Sorry it's an APRIL FOOLS JOKE, BAAHA!

And if it is an April fools joke, they should hang their heads in shame... cuz it's not funny, there are people who take these prices REALLY SERIOUSLY... isn't that why CAG was formed? Cheap deals for cheapass's like you and me?

[quote name='englishboy']when is the Nextbox (xbox 2--whatever it's currently called) coming out?[/quote]
You're stupid.

[quote name='noxious_locust'][quote name='n00bie']April Fools?[/quote]

This is was awhile ago, but I just wanted to say... I'm pretty sure that a company wouldn't allow it's reputatain to be diminished by making tons of people coming in and them saying sorry, it's a "typo" or, Sorry it's an APRIL FOOLS JOKE, BAAHA!

And if it is an April fools joke, they should hang their heads in shame... cuz it's not funny, there are people who take these prices REALLY SERIOUSLY... isn't that why CAG was formed? Cheap deals for cheapass's like you and me?[/quote]

I don't think anyone was suggesting that Walmart was playing an April Fools joke, but rather that someone else may have photoshopped the ad as an April Fools joke.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='noxious_locust'][quote name='n00bie']April Fools?[/quote]

And if it is an April fools joke, they should hang their heads in shame... cuz it's not funny, there are people who take these prices REALLY SERIOUSLY... isn't that why CAG was formed? Cheap deals for cheapass's like you and me?[/quote]

I don't think anyone was suggesting that Walmart was playing an April Fools joke, but rather that someone else may have photoshopped the ad as an April Fools joke.[/quote]

That is what I thought when I first saw the ad.

go out and buy it! most places will give you the price difference if it changes within 2 weeks from the purchase date!

Yeah, this is some interesting news that I will point out at work. Microsoft is oddly enough struggling due to lack of FIRST PARTY SUPPORT!!! That is very weird but they want a kick start because sales having been increasing like people thought with the release of Ninja Gaiden even though the game is selling very well among their core base. It will be intersting to see what SCPT does mainly considering that everyone knows it will be release for the other consoles unlike last time when the game was only on a limited exclusive on only people that read up on gaming knew it would be on the other consoles.

http://www.videostoremag.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&article_ID=5969

In an effort to narrow the gap with Sony PlayStation 2, Microsoft will cut the U.S. price of the Xbox by $30, to $149.99, at month’s end, sources told Video Store Magazine.

“Xbox is dropping their price [between March 28 and April 1],” a game publishing executive close to the retail community said. “That’s verified. They’ve changed ad prices, they changed everything — that price is coming down.”

Asked for a response, an Xbox spokesperson said, “Microsoft does not comment on rumors and speculation.”

Xbox has been running a solid but distant second to PS2 in the console market, but may be concerned about Nintendo’s GameCube, which is in third place but has picked up considerable market share since cutting its hardware price to $99 last fall.

Retailers confirmed the Xbox move to game publishers while both were at Sony’s Destination PlayStation sales meeting late last month. At that meeting, Sony officials said the launch of the PSP portable player has been pushed back until early 2005, but didn’t mention any plans to lower PS2’s $179.99 price. Sony did tell retailers and publishers they expect to sell between 5 million and 7.5 million PS2 hardware units in North America this year. But one source for a major video retail chain said that when Microsoft cuts its price, “I’d be surprised if Sony didn’t match it right away.”

Hmm....I might save my birthday money and wait for the price drop to buy another Xbox (haha, EBed the other one, hahaha). I miss Halo :(.

[quote name='sandrockgundam219']That info is wrong, gcn is ahead.[/quote]

Nintendo was ahead during the Christmas season but Microsoft retook second place in January.

Xbox was well worth it for $300. $150 would be an absolute steal.

Not even counting all the other great games it has, Xbox is most like Dreamcast 2 than GC or PS2 are, and that's one of the key draws for a Sega fan like myself.

How did you get the ad so far in advance?? Is there a site or something?? I need a way to get ads weeks in advance from all the major retailers, anyone know??

[quote name='terribledeli'][quote name='sandrockgundam219']That info is wrong, gcn is ahead.[/quote]

Nintendo was ahead during the Christmas season but Microsoft retook second place in January.[/quote]

You're talking about short-term sales rate. Gamecube is still about a million units behind XBox, but ahead of XBox by a good amount worldwide (thus Nintendo is truly second).

I'm sure that if Sony tried a bigger price cut later in the year, MS would bring theirs down even more. Let the price wars begin!

Though MS will be losing more $$ on each unit sold, they will certainly sell more units total. Sine MS makes a good many $$ on the games sold for its system, they are likely to be banking on gaining more gamers to whom they might sell games.

I personally will be buying an XB when the price drops, and will then be buying games for it; MS is likely counting on gamers like me to assure that they don't entirely lose ltheir shirts.

Cool, I would love to see some price wars kick up. I might pick up the PS2 if it ever hits $99 (maybe at $130), but then I would think how I could get 6+ Xbox games for that price, and I would probably hold back. (Not to mention that I would have to spend another $20+ for a memory card, and even more for additional controllers and a multi-tap. So I'd probably be looking at $170+ even at the $99 price for the base system. I could get quite a few Xbox games for that... Damn, I'm just too much of a cheap ass I guess.)

I would love to play Jak, R+C, and the offline FFs though.

Stick with the xbox. If you think about it, the xbox allready has a hard drive (10gb), a broadband connection and four controller ports. And if you buy a modchip, the possibilities are endless. Let's see you put a 120gb hdd in a ps2.

The ps2 harddrive is $99.99 (40gb), seperate broadband adapter ($39.99), multitap ($29.99), and memory card ($24.99).

You would be paying almost $195 extra for the ps2 stuff that the xbox all ready has. And technically the xbox is a better machine.

I own a ps2, xbox, and gamecube. I think the xbox is the best, followed by the gamecube, then the ps2. That is just my opinion though. I don't want to piss off all the ps2 fanboys. The only reason I picked up a ps2 was for the exclusive titles, like Devil May Cry, etc.

I'm also pretty sure that, given the technical nature of the xbox, that someone will come up with an emulator to play ps2 games on xbox. Not quite legal, but you never know.

[quote name='gdw3877']I'm also pretty sure that, given the technical nature of the xbox, that someone will come up with an emulator to play ps2 games on xbox. Not quite legal, but you never know.[/quote]

I wouldn't bet on it. In general, when you are trying to write an emulator on one machine for a architecturally separate machine, you have to basically "brute force" the code, as it can be extremely difficult to arrive at any elegance in such a program. The standard rule is that when writing an emulator, if you desire similar quality output as that of the original machine, the emulating machine should be about 10 times as fast. With massive optimizations and tricky coding, you may be able to get good performance out of a machine 4 or 5 times as fast as the original. Now, we all know that the Xbox is more powerful than a PS2, but 10 times as powerful? Doubtful. I would say the Xbox is twice as powerful as a PS2, tops. Which means no quality emulation.

This is the same reason that backwards compatibility on the NeXtBox looks like it isn't gonna happen. That system will be using a completely different architecture (more akin to a GC than the XBox, actually), and won't have a hard-drive. It would take a design miracle to reduce the Xbox hardware to a single chip (as the PS2 does with the PSX), which means that Microsoft would have to make it emulate it in software...and I've already pointed out why that isn't too feasible.

i think its a safe to bet that sony will match the price of the xbox(just like theydid last year)
making there system 149 and the online pack 169

This not an exclusive markdown to Walmart stores only. The Wall Street Journal today has confirmed the price drop to $149.

[quote name='CheapyD']Looks like we got a confirmation on this:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/nm/20040319/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_report_dc

Don't you guys feel like this price cut is a bit premature?
It leaves the door wide open for Sony to announce a bigger price cut at E3 in May.[/quote]

I think MS is counting on that actually. By cutting the price a little now, they sell a bunch of units before E3. Then when Sony announces their price drop, lets say to $129 (just a guess, don't quote me), MS will pretty much have to follow suit. But in the mean time, they presumably will have sold far more units based on the hype of the $149 price, than they would have sold at $179, and they get to appear to be the leaders (the ones initiating the price war), rather than being the followers.

From WinInfo:

http://www.winnetmag.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/42079/windowspaulthurrott_42079.html

Xbox Gets a Price Cut

Microsoft will reportedly cut the price of the Xbox video game console from $180 to $150 in April, in a bid to kick start sales and keep the console selling ahead of the rival Nintendo GameCube, which costs just $99. Expect market leader Sony to follow suit with the pricing of its PlayStation 2, which still holds a huge lead and will continue to do so for the life of this generation of gaming hardware. All three companies are gearing up for the important E3 show in May, though Microsoft denies it will reveal details of its next-generation Xbox console, dubbed Xbox Next internally, at the show.

They mentioned the X-Box price drop on CNN this morning as part of a financial news segment around 10:15 a.m. PST. They mentioned the 149 USD pricetag and advised viewers to wait for the drop before they buy a console. They also mentioned the likelihood of the next generation systems being being released next year (although it sounded like speculation more than anything.)

bread's done
Back