Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/13)

[quote name='bomba']PS2 dropped by $100 when it was selling like 400k/month.
$300 > $200

(Xbox did it first, but it needed to)

I think this price drop will move a lot of systems for the first months, but MS still needs to up the value (WiFi would be nice, even the DS/PSP/Wii have it for free, not $80) to keep up, IMO.[/quote]

Agreed - it's mind boggling that this system doesn't have integrated wi-fi yet. I can't imagine it would add much to production costs. It's a must-have for me, so that tacks on an extra $30-50 to the price.

Sony should drop the price of all PS3 games 50% because they are being outsold so monstrously by 360 software and Nintendo should give theirs away free.

Fanboy logic ftw.

If the 360 Pro system drops to $299, the Arcade will probably go to $249, to match the Wii. Elite will probably go to $350, so it undercuts the PS3.

Assuming they don't come out with some other surprise like a Elite w/BluRay at $500 or some other foolishness.

[quote name='jonac13']Also, how many times in the past has a company dropped the price of one of their units by around $100 that wasn't overpriced by a significant amount in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Not often but it has happened as others have already mentioned. I do agree though that a $100 price drop is a little severe so they should have dropped it $50 6 months ago. Then with this $50 drop they could announce a $250 price point at E3. $250 is more in line with what I feel the 360 is worth.

You can completely take the 40 GB PS3 comparison out of the picture and look at it this way. What other piece of tech from 2005 has still kept 88%(350/400) of it's value? Nothing comes to mind. Multi-core processors, HDTV's, GPU's, hard drive capacity, you name it. They've all become significantly cheaper yet the 360 keeps plugging along at 88% of it's launch price. Evidently, there are plenty of people that think the 360 is a good buy at $300. I'm just not one of them.

They should just release the Core $239.99 already, just to undercut the Wii by $10. They could at least claim they have the cheapest next gen console.

Good news for those that waited on the 360, but I think most of those that have waited are the PS2 poor/cheap gamers that bought PS2's when they hit the $150 range. The PS2 sold so well because of It's price to and I'm sure the 360 would fly at $150, but MS profit's would be in question at that price.

Maybe Microsoft will be smart this round and keep the 360 going for 6+ years while releasing a 720, that way they can still manage profit.

With all that said, who here would buy a 360 at $200 or so if it had some sort of free game with it? Or a larger memory card?

[quote name='$CASH$']Not often but it has happened as others have already mentioned. I do agree though that a $100 price drop is a little severe so they should have dropped it $50 6 months ago. Then with this $50 drop they could announce a $250 price point at E3. $250 is more in line with what I feel the 360 is worth.

You can completely take the 40 GB PS3 comparison out of the picture and look at it this way. What other piece of tech from 2005 has still kept 88%(350/400) of it's value? Nothing comes to mind. Multi-core processors, HDTV's, GPU's, hard drive capacity, you name it. They've all become significantly cheaper yet the 360 keeps plugging along at 88% of it's launch price. Evidently, there are plenty of people that think the 360 is a good buy at $300. I'm just not one of them.[/quote]

Just for one last comment before dinner, I pose to you a question to both answer yours and ask a new one. What piece of hardware that is produced by only a single company has kept around 75% of it's value over its lifespan? I'll give you one answer. The iPod. This is not new for products that have one producer, where there is no competition on a micro level to compete directly with every component, where a ATI and Nvidia would duke it out with GPUs, Intel and AMD would compete with processors, Samsung and Pioneer and Vizio etc. would compete for HDTVs. If we were in a situation where the Xbox 360 could be produced by several companies, then your argument might have a bit of traction. But that simply isn't true.

It's funny that you mention that when the rumor of MS lettin' other companies produce Xbox 360s floatin' around.

But, as for the iPod argument, they are upgraded on an almost annual basis.

I have a $120 Sears Giftcard and this will be sweet in combination with the price drop. I want to get a pro system as a backup to my launch unit(already fixed one time for RRoD) and plus I want the HDMI connection and better processor. Perfect timing.

Now everyone should get a 360 (unless you have a very high end PC ), it's an amazing console which fulfills ALL my gaming needs and wants.
PS : Also they are gonna fix the RROD by this holliday.

Wonderful, I want an Elite and get an XBox 360 w/ a HDMI Port...otherwise I'll just trade in Pro for Pro w/ HDMI and keep my 120GB Hard Drive.

[quote name='zewone']It's funny that you mention that when the rumor of MS lettin' other companies produce Xbox 360s floatin' around.

But, as for the iPod argument, they are upgraded on an almost annual basis.[/quote]

Wouldn't the concurrent price drop and announcement of a third party production option in fact help prove my point?

Also, iPod's aren't necessarily 'upgraded' on an annual basis. The usually have a firmware change, a different design, and a different capacity. Is this not too different than SKU introductions of consoles? Which are, to some extent, announced on an almost annual basis?

[quote name='NJMane']Depends on the store but theoretically yes. Though most stores would probably say that was a different promotion and you could have one or the other in which case they would equal out.[/QUOTE]

$50 for buying GTA IV was a promo but this is a price drop. You should able to get the price adjusted using their 30 day price guarante. I just hope it happens around that date cuz my 30 days is up soon after that.

[quote name='zewone']$100 price drops are for systems that are doing terrible (Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3).[/quote]
Saturn's price didn't really drop until the near end. SEGA kept trying to get people to buy a Saturn by offering free games either bundled or on the side. Mainly because they couldn't afford to drop the price on the behemoth of a console due to all the parts used to make it.

Sorry, but that ad looks like a chop to me. I'm not saying that there won't be a price cut but I'll believe $50 when I see it. I see MS cutting $30 across the board and may not go as high as $50.

MS's reticence this generation to cut price tells me that they're not serious about winning the console war this round and they are satisfied either with Nintendo kicking their heinie every month or letting Sony play a dangerous game of catch up to them.

Hopefully this is to clean out the warehouse for a redesign with a larger hard drive and wifi for xmas.

And I completely agree that the 360 is still overpriced even after this pricecut. I want a console that will still work in 7 years, and I'm not buying one until I know it isn't going to RROD and that is going to take a re-design, imo.

Nice to here this. I have 2 already but it might help persuade a few friends of mine playing PS3 to finally get one. You can always try to get one online somewhere that doesn't charge tax in your stste and save a few $$ that way too since hopefully this be a universal price drop.

This is just the thing I've been looking for.

I've been wanting to buy a 360 but have been waiting to save a few paychecks before making the jump.

I already bought one extra controller and I have about eight games put back. All I need now is the system.

If it is cut $50, I would just use that money I would have spent and use it for an extended warranty.

I think Nintendo is going to lose ground this holiday season if both the 360 and PS3 manage some sort of decent price drop, and Nintendo doesn't get a reasonable supply of Wii's available for the holidays. I think people who've been trying to get a Wii for the last two years at that point are going to say "the hell with it" and buy a 360 or a PS3.

[quote name='$CASH$']The 40 GB PS3 that can be had for $300 with the Sony credit card. Now they are essentially the same price but the PS3 offers blu-ray playback and integrated wi-fi.
[/quote]

But people play their GAME consoles for GAMES.

[quote name='zewone']You can buy the 20GB 360 for $200 (after the price drop) with that Sony card. Your logic is flawed.[/quote]

No you can't unless the Sony Style store starts selling Xbox 360, which won't happen. The card deal was for $100 dollar credit for buying something over $299 at the Sony Style store, and they had one for buying a PS3 at select retailers, so your idea wouldn't work using the Sony card.

STOP THE PRESSES!

[quote name='ogbaka']for some, there is a 60gb sku in process so maybe the 20 is to get rid of the falcon to switch for the jasper[/quote]

Okay, start the presses!

Source?

[quote name='FoxAlive']is this a hint of PS3 and Wii dropping in price also?[/QUOTE]

PS3 maybe, but WII? The Wii still sells out within hours if not days at local retailers. Don't kid yourself. The Wii won't see a price drop till next christmas at the earliest.

[quote name='Thongsy']No you can't unless the Sony Style store starts selling Xbox 360, which won't happen. The card deal was for $100 dollar credit for buying something over $299 at the Sony Style store, and they had one for buying a PS3 at select retailers, so your idea wouldn't work using the Sony card.[/QUOTE]

I've read lots of threads of people buying whatever they want with the card and still getting the $100 credit.

I've read lots of threads of people buying whatever they want with the card and still getting the $100 credit.

At times you got $100 credit after your first purchase. When I signed up for a few years back I bought my PS3 at Target, and got the $100 credit

$50 is not bad. I can't see Sony matching this with their recent Billion dollar loss on the PS3. If so...time to sell my 60GB PS3 fast and replace it temporarily with another BD player before it loses value.

[quote name='ZForce']I think Nintendo is going to lose ground this holiday season if both the 360 and PS3 manage some sort of decent price drop, and Nintendo doesn't get a reasonable supply of Wii's available for the holidays. I think people who've been trying to get a Wii for the last two years at that point are going to say "the hell with it" and buy a 360 or a PS3.[/quote]

Define "reasonable suppy" please.
March: 721K sold
April: 714K sold
May: 675K sold
There are plenty of Wiis being made and sold, they are just being bought as soon as they hit the shelves. I think supplying 700K+ units a month is indeed a "reasonable supply". I know Nintendo sure as hell isnt mad at those numbers.:applause:

[quote name='hufferstl']

1. And I completely agree that the 360 is still overpriced even after this pricecut.
2. I'm not buying one until I know it isn't going to RROD and that is going to take a re-design, imo.[/quote]

1. Overpriced at $299? You have to be kidding me. How much do you want to pay for a 360, $200? Seriously, $299 for a console that has HDMI port, upscales DVDs , has great Live features and the biggest amount of games....

2. The RROD is just a lame excuse for not buying the 360. Look, if you get the RROD you will get your console fixed for FREE. You might lose your console for 2 weeks but it will get fixed and you will have 3 years of warranty. It might not be 7 yrs like you said but 3 years of warranty is more than what Sony or Nintendo offers.

[quote name='hostyl1']
There are plenty of Wiis being made and sold, they are just being bought as soon as they hit the shelves. I think supplying 700K+ units a month is indeed a "reasonable supply".:applause:[/quote]

Yes, plenty of Wii's are being sold in the USA, but Nintendo is focusing their stock of Wii's on Europe due to the weak dollar and a better profit margin in Europe, therefore most Wii's being produced are being shipped to Europe instead of the USA.

I dont have a link for this but I read it on ign.com a while ago...

Nintendo is allowing other consoles to increase their sales as some consumers might get frustrated in not finding a wii.

[quote name='zewone']$100 price drops are for systems that are doing terrible (Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3).[/quote]

The PS2 was certainly going down the shitter right before it dropped 100 bucks last generation.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The PS2 was certainly going down the shitter right before it dropped 100 bucks last generation.[/QUOTE]

Already been covered, jackass.

One exception to the rule, doesn't change the fact that 90% of the time you see a huge price cut is when a system in on hard times.

Whoever says the 360 is overpriced are just cheap as hell. Wawawa! RROD! Only people with other systems bitch about the RROD and think that means that every single 360 will break in two minutes. If any system is overpriced it's the Wii, I have one but I don't feel it was really worth it. It has crap games (Nintendo games are about the only ones that are good), no harddrive (I don't count that crap 512 mb), no DVD player, crap online play, crap friend support but no one seems to complain about that.

Also the 360 isn't in hard times, that's just a crap excuse for you not being able to come up with something logical.

[quote name='oasisboy']1. Overpriced at $299? You have to be kidding me. How much do you want to pay for a 360, $200? Seriously, $299 for a console that has HDMI port, upscales DVDs , has great Live features and the biggest amount of games....[/quote]
Three of those features are software, one costs pennies. Realistically MS need to put a bigger HDD in and add WiFi to truly add value.

Cutting prices is all well and good, but MS is raping on the accessories front.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Whoever says the 360 is overpriced are just cheap as hell. Wawawa! RROD! Only people with other systems bitch about the RROD and think that means that every single 360 will break in two minutes. If any system is overpriced it's the Wii, I have one but I don't feel it was really worth it. It has crap games (Nintendo games are about the only ones that are good), no harddrive (I don't count that crap 512 mb), no DVD player, crap online play, crap friend support but no one seems to complain about that.

Also the 360 isn't in hard times, that's just a crap excuse for you not being able to come up with something logical.[/quote]I agree.

[quote name='bomba']Cutting prices is all well and good, but MS is raping on the accessories front.[/QUOTE]
I also agree with this statement. They really nickel and dime you for features that should come with the console such as battery charger, rechargeable batteries, WiFi, ect.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']
Also the 360 isn't in hard times, that's just a crap excuse for you not being able to come up with something logical.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking to me, you're way off. I'm saying the 360 isn't on hard times, so it doesn't need to drop $100.

[quote name='Alkaline']The OP said the ad is from K-Mart, which is odd cause it looks like a Walmart ad.[/quote]

Yeah its K-Mart, if it was Wally World the price would end in 97 or 48.

I hope this is right in some ways. If I remember around 2003ish PS2 dropped to like 200$ and it started really flying off the shelf. Microsoft was first to the market and if they can get closer to the 200$ "maybe" they can solidify their lead in the Current Gen. But then again they are still enjoying a small lead over Sony right now and making profit why not ride this out until closer to christmas...This could also be a way of clearing out the "old 20gb" premium to make room for the rumored 60gb premium.

[quote name='mercilessming']I hope this is right in some ways. If I remember around 2003ish PS2 dropped to like 200$ and it started really flying off the shelf. Microsoft was first to the market and if they can get closer to the 200$ "maybe" they can solidify their lead in the Current Gen. But then again they are still enjoying a small lead over Sony right now and making profit why not ride this out until closer to christmas...This could also be a way of clearing out the "old 20gb" premium to make room for the rumored 60gb premium.[/QUOTE]
FLASH GORDON ROCKS!!! W00T! ........sorry, had to do it

[quote name='Alkaline']
0626081219.jpg

0626081219a.jpg

0626081219b.jpg
[/quote]

It definitely is not a walmart ad... it could be a k-mart ad, but it might be a toys r us ad? toys r us always likes to put price drops in their ads first to get more people to come to the stores.:lol:

[quote name='turgore2008']Now everyone should get a 360 (unless you have a very high end PC ), it's an amazing console which fulfills ALL my gaming needs and wants.
PS : Also they are gonna fix the RROD by this holliday.[/quote]

Changing the ring color?

bread's done
Back