XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow... he might not be happy since a ton of work went into that baby...[/QUOTE]

Might be?

He's going to be pissed especially if he can't find a backup.

[quote name='ZForce915']I've got a quick question. Can you run your music into your headset?[/quote]

I doubt that but maybe someone here knows better then me. Cause the headset is connected to the controller.

btw how did you delete it?

I know most people say that the Linksys WGA11B wireless adapter is very good, but it isn't sold in stores anymore, right? Are there any cheap and reliable adapters I could buy in a store? It looks like I might be able to buy a 360 sooner than I thought.

[quote name='nikelecious91']I doubt that but maybe someone here knows better then me. Cause the headset is connected to the controller.

btw how did you delete it?[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

so i got like 6400 pts from the CC sale but was wondering if theres a difference if i redeem through xbox.com

i dont have a 360 atm(returned my old one to wait for new models) am going to get an elite and was also wondering if its worth getting one soon with just the new heatsink because im planning to get one before h3 drops

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so i got like 6400 pts from the CC sale but was wondering if theres a difference if i redeem through xbox.com

i dont have a 360 atm(returned my old one to wait for new models) am going to get an elite and was also wondering if its worth getting one soon with just the new heatsink because im planning to get one before h3 drops[/quote]

No difference if you redeem through XBOX.com, I do it all the time, and they post instantaniously.

I would say go for it, what's the point of waiting? The heatsink is what prevents it from overheating and there really is no reason to wait...I'd suggest you get Bioshock to hold you off until Halo 3 hits stores.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No difference if you redeem through XBOX.com, I do it all the time, and they post instantaniously.

I would say go for it, what's the point of waiting? The heatsink is what prevents it from overheating and there really is no reason to wait...I'd suggest you get Bioshock to hold you off until Halo 3 hits stores.[/quote]

thx for the quick response :)

hmm i think i will get an elite now then with the gc deal or a costco bundle
btw i already got bioshock due to the TRU fiasco :lol:
last copy too(and i wasnt 17 when i bought i didnt turn 17 till that coming saturday :cool:)

fuck you LinkinPrime! :lol: I kid, I kid.

No worries about the accident, though. I have a backup, but it's an old one. It was actually good timing on your part. I needed to update that thread bad. Speaking of which, here are some things I am going to add:

1) a Dashboard Update section

2) more deals (from the CAG Deals section, of course) to the Deals section

3) a section to explain how to prevent and/or fix the red rings

4) a Rumors section

and, most importantly...

5) a 720p vs. 1080i vs. 1080p Outputs section

6) a VGA vs. DVI vs. HDMI Connections section

7) a better SDTV vs. HDTV section

Callout: if anyone wants to help me with the last three sections (#5 - 7) it would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! I actually need all the help I can get in explaining these things well, which is very much needed seeing as how most questions people ask deal with those things. If you can/will help me, PM me and let me know - I might just end up using what you say verbatim in the next OP. Also, if I need to add something else (that you can remember me not having) then let me know here.

4kbwqkm.jpg

YOU MANIAC. YOU BLEW IT UP.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I guess you can if you get one of these:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx2/home.aspx[/QUOTE]
Have any CAGs tried these? These are the ones Major Nelson gives away on his podcast contests, right? Anyone know if they can be had cheaper anywhere else, or for that matter can they even be bought anywhere else, or only on turtlebeach.com? I'm thinking something like this would allow me to play Bioshock without worrying about the volume and freaking out my kids if they're in the next room.

Another quick question- I don't have a 360 yet, but I'm planning on getting a Premium soon. If I'm only planning on using the HD for game saves and XBLA download games and the occasional DLC for games, is there any reason I'd need more space than the 20gb of the Premium's HD?

[quote name='Danimal']Have any CAGs tried these? These are the ones Major Nelson gives away on his podcast contests, right? Anyone know if they can be had cheaper anywhere else, or for that matter can they even be bought anywhere else, or only on turtlebeach.com? I'm thinking something like this would allow me to play Bioshock without worrying about the volume and freaking out my kids if they're in the next room.

Another quick question- I don't have a 360 yet, but I'm planning on getting a Premium soon. If I'm only planning on using the HD for game saves and XBLA download games and the occasional DLC for games, is there any reason I'd need more space than the 20gb of the Premium's HD?[/quote]

The ear foce headphones can be had at other places, but the SRP was originally $100, so I don't know of any site that has them for cheaper. 20GB is plenty of space for regular game saves, DLC, and XBLA games.

If you're getting a premium, the most important thing to remember is to get the HDMI premium. It has the fixed heatsink.

[quote name='Danimal']Have any CAGs tried these? These are the ones Major Nelson gives away on his podcast contests, right? Anyone know if they can be had cheaper anywhere else, or for that matter can they even be bought anywhere else, or only on turtlebeach.com? I'm thinking something like this would allow me to play Bioshock without worrying about the volume and freaking out my kids if they're in the next room.

Another quick question- I don't have a 360 yet, but I'm planning on getting a Premium soon. If I'm only planning on using the HD for game saves and XBLA download games and the occasional DLC for games, is there any reason I'd need more space than the 20gb of the Premium's HD?[/QUOTE]

They can be had at best buy. We used to have it for like 109 or something? Yesterday the price changed to 69.99 i believe. The reason i noticed is because it seemed like a big price drop.

I might get me one of those and hold off on surround sound until i have a final gaming setup.

God damn M$oft releases some shoddy products.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out next week that the 360 is covered in lead paint.

I bet the Japanese are laughing their asses off over this one.

Another quick question- I don't have a 360 yet, but I'm planning on getting a Premium soon. If I'm only planning on using the HD for game saves and XBLA download games and the occasional DLC for games, is there any reason I'd need more space than the 20gb of the Premium's HD?[/QUOTE]

I have a 20GB model and have downloaded 45 XBLA arcade games, have a handful of game saves and I have plenty of room left. In fact I downloaded 6 demos the other day and that only took me down to 6GB left.

The only reason you would need more room is if

a) you like to keep the demos you download (about 1GB on average per game)
b) you plan to put a lot of media on the HD (downloaded TV shows, movies, music)
c) you just gotta have what is biggest and best :lol:

As far as the headset goes, my CC has them for $60 both wireless and wired. I think the wireless is supposed to be more, but it isn't priced that way. The Speedy thing aside, I like CC.

[quote name='KiLL3r']Good thing i didn't buy one.[/QUOTE]

I know! Because it happened to every single wheel that they put out! Your house would burn down!

Good thing you dodged that bullet!

M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$!

Anyone still have the pixel size for the dashboard screen? I've considered making my own dashboard backgrounds, but I'm not sure of the dimensions.

You delete a lot of threads, and refer them to long ass threads that would take forever to find out what they are looking for. Is this suppose to be a univeral thing on cag, or are the other mods slacking. The ps3 and wii have topics that using your method, should be closed and merged. I was just wondering what the protocol should be

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']I know! Because it happened to every single wheel that they put out! Your house would burn down!

Good thing you dodged that bullet!

M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$! M$![/QUOTE]

That's funny... because when Apple people say things like that, they're considered fanboys. ;)

Just saying.... :p

I heard the only way to transfer music and video to you 360 is from Windows meda Center but i also heard that you can only stream to your 360 which one is true?

I also heard that there is some type of accesrioes that allows you to connect your 360 to your pc i saw it in gamestop a while ago but i can't rember the name anybody know what i'm talking about?

[quote name='JJSP']Anyone still have the pixel size for the dashboard screen? I've considered making my own dashboard backgrounds, but I'm not sure of the dimensions.[/quote]

I believe that they are 1920px x1080px

[quote name='ryanbph']You delete a lot of threads, and refer them to long ass threads that would take forever to find out what they are looking for. Is this suppose to be a univeral thing on cag, or are the other mods slacking. The ps3 and wii have topics that using your method, should be closed and merged. I was just wondering what the protocol should be[/quote]
I don't delete threads...I lock them or merge them. We don't really have an official handbook for this, I'm just trying to weed out the junk...make everything simpler. Look at it this way...for example: A CAG creates the Oblivion thread, tons of posts go into it, lots of discussions which in turn suscribe the CAG's who posted on the thread to that specific thread. A few months pass and the hype for the game dies down and it eventually gets pushed back a few pages back.

Scenario A: Another CAG buys the game gets stuck, doesn't search and creates a new thread. This causes clutter on the boards, specially when CAG's who do use the search feature get confused when they see multiple results for the game they are looking for. -----This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Scenario B: CAG who is stuck on Oblivion uses search function, creates a new post on the Oblivion thread, the thread gets bumped back, all the CAG's who posted/suscribed to the thread will see it on their "User CP" and will check it out and answer the question. ------This is how it should work.

So you see, I'm not referring people to a "long ass thread" I'm simply asking them to bump up the old thread that already has suscribers and they'll get an answer to their question a lot quicker and everything will be less cluttered.

[quote name='frenchninja112']I heard the only way to transfer music and video to you 360 is from Windows meda Center but i also heard that you can only stream to your 360 which one is true?

I also heard that there is some type of accesrioes that allows you to connect your 360 to your pc i saw it in gamestop a while ago but i can't rember the name anybody know what i'm talking about?[/quote]
Media Center used to do it, but they killed it, now they encourage you to download the Zune software and use it as a media center to play music/videos/pictures from your PC to your X360.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
Scenario B: CAG who is stuck on Oblivion uses search function, creates a new post on the Oblivion thread, the thread gets bumped back, all the CAG's who posted/suscribed to the thread will see it on their "User CP" and will check it out and answer the question. ------This is how it should work.[/quote]
Who uses their "User CP"? I certainly don't. I go to the forums I read and skim the titles with unread posts. If I only went to my User CP I would only see threads that I specifically subscribed to or posted in. I would then have to go to the forums to see other new threads. Why would I go to two different places? Anyone who relies on their CP to read threads is either missing out on a whole lot, or is doing a lot of extra work. You should be encouraging the exact opposite.

People don't read the long ass mega threads simply because they're so long and irrelevant. I can't count the number of times someone has thanked a poster for posting a deal that's buried somewhere in a mega thread.
So you see, I'm not referring people to a "long ass thread" I'm simply asking them to bump up the old thread that already has suscribers and they'll get an answer to their question a lot quicker and everything will be less cluttered.
Are you saying people won't see new threads? That doesn't make sense. A new thread should get seen exactly as quickly as a bumped old thread, unless people are inappropriately using the CP (see above). That's the only way your question would get answered faster.

Combining every question into one long ass thread helps no one. I realize it's not ever going to change, but it's the single most aggravating thing about this forum. You try to have a discussion and it's constantly getting moved into irrelevant discussions because they're both under some huge, vague umbrella. Tighter moderation of off-topicness and closing resolved problems would be a significantly better option.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I use it every time I come here.[/QUOTE]
Okay. Why? You have to come to the forum to check for new threads and threads you aren't subscribed to? What does checking the CP get you?

I go through all the various threads once a day, and then I'll routinely check my UserCP for any new posts in threads I'm most interested... you lose, give it up.

Now, to go on-topic...

I just picked up a 360 yesterday, and I'm wondering how I can stream music/video/pictures to it? I have Vista, doesn't that have some sort of Media Center functionality built into it? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it seems totally crazy and I'm confused on how it does it.

[quote name='yukine']I go through all the various threads once a day, and then I'll routinely check my UserCP for any new posts in threads I'm most interested... you lose, give it up.

Now, to go on-topic...

I just picked up a 360 yesterday, and I'm wondering how I can stream music/video/pictures to it? I have Vista, doesn't that have some sort of Media Center functionality built into it? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it seems totally crazy and I'm confused on how it does it.[/quote]

Not sure about Vista, I do believe it has Media Center intergrated but I can't find any info on xbox.com. Check this out see if it helps:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/pc.htm

[quote name='yukine']I go through all the various threads once a day, and then I'll routinely check my UserCP for any new posts in threads I'm most interested... you lose, give it up.

Now, to go on-topic...

I just picked up a 360 yesterday, and I'm wondering how I can stream music/video/pictures to it? I have Vista, doesn't that have some sort of Media Center functionality built into it? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it seems totally crazy and I'm confused on how it does it.[/QUOTE]

What verison of Vista do you have?

If it's business then no you don't have Media Center built in.

[quote name='yukine'] you lose, give it up.[/QUOTE]
Wow, defensive much? I state my opinion (once, mind you, so "give it up" is entirely inappropriate) and it needs to turn into a some sort of situation I can "lose" because your opinion is different? You might want to back off the 'roid dosage. I'm not interested in debating anything, I gave my opinion and asked for other peoples'.
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it seems totally crazy and I'm confused on how it does it.
Should I tell you that it is a dumb question and that if you can't figure out with two seconds with Google you should just "give it up"? No, I'll actually tell you.

You need Vista Home Premium or Ultimate. Home Basic, Business and Enterprise won't cut it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/xbox360.mspx

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of the gamer profile system, so bear with me.

I bought my 360 used (on CAG, in fact) and have been using it for a few months. It came with a few profiles on it, as well as one profile that was linked to an XBox Live account. Since I wouldn't immediately be able to hook the 360 up to Live and knew I'd be doing mostly offline gaming, I made an offline profile for myself called garfep.

Today, I finally finished setting up my Live account, changed my gamertag from the previous owner's, etc., and made garfep1 my XBox Live profile.

The problem is that my game saves (and subsequently all of my achievements) for Guitar Hero, Dead Rising, Bioshock, etc. are all on garfep, the offline profile.

I'm guessing it's not possible, but just to check - is there any way to switch my info from one profile to another? Nothing really caught my attention in the memory options, but if anyone knows a way that I can transfer my saves, achievements, etc. to the XBox Live account, please let me know here.

Thanks, guys.

How come you changed someone else's name into your name? Unless the other name had a few months of Gold left on it? I probably would have just turned your offline profile into an online one since Xbox Live gives you that option. That way you could keep all of your Achievements and if the other person's profile had a few months of Gold, I would have just logged into that one for multiplayer games until the Gold ran out, and then started up a new Gold with your current account.

Yeah, there's still like six months left on the Live acount, so I wanted to switch it over. Can I transfer that account to a different profile on my 360, then? I didn't even reaize I could turn an offline account into an online one. Sorry for asking if it's something simple, but how exactly do I do that?

When I purchased my Xbox 360 I bought the extended warranty from microsoft for 2 years. now that they extended the original warranty to 3 years do I get 2 extra years, or should I call microsoft and try to get my money back?

Does anyone know if there's a power difference between the old white wireless 360 controllers and the new black ones?

I got a Play & Charge kit for my old white one when I got my 360 and recently grabbed a spare black controller. Since I'm usually the only one playing, I just use the white P&C battery pack in the black one. But, I've noticed that the battery runs down really quickly when it's being used by the new controller, and it never charges up to the point where the light is green, even if it's left on all night.

I can't see why there would be any difference between the two controllers, but it seems pretty curious to me.

I wouldn't because that person could easily recover their account and you wouldn't be able to use it anymore (since you probably don't know the password).

I don't think that would happen. It's a CAG who was very nice and friendly about the whole thing and has good feedback.

So, er, other than paying for a whole separate Live account on the offline profile, is there any way to switch my achievements, etc. to the current Live account from the offline profile? Or any way to switch the Live account to my offline profile without having to pay for a whole new account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back