XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bigscoot4269']what do u guys use to charge your controllers? what do u recommend i have a plug and play kit but it stopped working so i am looking for something new does anyone have any other recommendations?[/quote]

i use the recharging station made by MS where you can charge two lithium batteries at once. works great

[quote name='bigscoot4269']what do u guys use to charge your controllers? what do u recommend i have a plug and play kit but it stopped working so i am looking for something new does anyone have any other recommendations?[/QUOTE]
I just buy a big package of Rayovacs at Wal-Mart and have no worries remembering to charge batteries if I run out. You can get 24 AA batteries for around $7.

woot, i had my FIRST game lock up today :)

It happened when I was playing MLB 2k6.. I accidentally hit the switch sides on my batter and BAM! my 360 locked up :)

i bet this question has been asked already but I tried to do a quick search and didn't find anything.

just needed some clarification...those xbox live gold cards that dont' allow you to renew and extend your current xbox live account don't allow you to upgrade from silver to gold right? you have to create a completely new account even if you only have xbox live silver?

[quote name='vietgurl']i bet this question has been asked already but I tried to do a quick search and didn't find anything.

just needed some clarification...those xbox live gold cards that dont' allow you to renew and extend your current xbox live account don't allow you to upgrade from silver to gold right? you have to create a completely new account even if you only have xbox live silver?[/quote]
I think that they are a scam. Check back 2 pages.

EDIT: Here's some info:
[quote name='TomoyoN']The ones on EBay that say for NEW Accounts only are usually stolen FastCash cards stolen from places like walmart and usually don't last longer than 1 month. I havn't bought one of em but that is what I hear. Your best bet is if ur a new Google Checkout user is to get em from Buy.com. Other than that I don't know of any other place with em cheaper.[/quote]

This new system update just is NOT working for me. I do the network test and I'm connecting to XBox Live fine, but every time the update notification comes up and I tell it to update, the download bar just sits and never moves, then I get an error message. I tried clearing the cache, and the same thing still happens.

I noticed that on xbox.com, it talks about updating by burning to CD, but the most recent update I can find there is the May '07 update.

Anyone know where I can download newer updates? Or does anyone here have the technical knowhow to grab the update from their system, transfer it to a PC, and upload it for me to burn to a CD?

1-800-4MY-XBOX is no help at all so far, and they keep just asking me if my internet connection is currently working (it is, since I'm posting this) and ignore me when I tell them that every other system update has worked perfectly up until now and that I'm connecting to Live itself with no problems, then ultimately just suggest to keep trying the network test, which obviously isn't working.

Anyone have ANY ideas?

so does anyone know how to get my 360 to output to my Creative Labs 7.1 speaker in 5.1 mode (there is a switch to 5.1, but I am still getting 2.1 in all 5.1 games)??

My 360 broke and halo comes out in 3 days soo i dont want to send it in and awit a month so do you any of you know any stores i can return it too without a receipt or anything. I heard you can do that at walmart. Do they track it though. Any help on what to do would be appreiciated thnx.

[quote name='master 2000']My 360 broke and halo comes out in 3 days soo i dont want to send it in and awit a month so do you any of you know any stores i can return it too without a receipt or anything. I heard you can do that at walmart. Do they track it though. Any help on what to do would be appreiciated thnx.[/quote]

Think about this. What you want to do is fraud and theft. Dont punish Walmart for your problem and inconvenience.

[quote name='Maklershed']Think about this. What you want to do is fraud and theft. Dont punish Walmart for your problem and inconvenience.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

What's the best cooling fan/solution for the xbox 360? Ever since mine died I'm trying to prevent another mishap...

[quote name='MadChedar0']What's the best cooling fan/solution for the xbox 360? Ever since mine died I'm trying to prevent another mishap...[/QUOTE]

how long can you blow air out of your mouth to your 360?

just kidding..

best cooling solution?

Mod your 360 to have another fan, pop the case open and liquid cool your cpu/gpu Or just wait for the 45 nm chips to come out... heating problems should be done by then.

I needed to bump this thread because I myself am having problems connecting my wireless adapter to my wireless router. I can see the network I want to connect to with the adpater connected, I just can't connect to it. The network is unsecured, so I figured it would auto connect. But the light just stays a solid red on my wireless adapter. There's on one thin wall and 15 feet between my xbox and the router. Any ideas?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Or just wait for the 45 nm chips to come out... heating problems should be done by then.[/quote]

That's what I'm waiting for. I wish there was some news when they'll be coming out. :roll:

We'll need more info like what type of router, what type of game adapter, etc. I eventually managed to get mine to work, so it was kind of strange to see this thread back up.

[quote name='garfep']This new system update just is NOT working for me. I do the network test and I'm connecting to XBox Live fine, but every time the update notification comes up and I tell it to update, the download bar just sits and never moves, then I get an error message. I tried clearing the cache, and the same thing still happens.

I noticed that on xbox.com, it talks about updating by burning to CD, but the most recent update I can find there is the May '07 update.

Anyone know where I can download newer updates? Or does anyone here have the technical knowhow to grab the update from their system, transfer it to a PC, and upload it for me to burn to a CD?

1-800-4MY-XBOX is no help at all so far, and they keep just asking me if my internet connection is currently working (it is, since I'm posting this) and ignore me when I tell them that every other system update has worked perfectly up until now and that I'm connecting to Live itself with no problems, then ultimately just suggest to keep trying the network test, which obviously isn't working.

Anyone have ANY ideas?[/quote]

I just got the same error message. I can connect to Live, but once I choose to update, it just says that there was an error and to check my system settings. I need help on this one as well.

[quote name='musicnoteless']I just got the same error message. I can connect to Live, but once I choose to update, it just says that there was an error and to check my system settings. I need help on this one as well.[/QUOTE]
It's not you. The Halo horde is causing serious issues with Live right now.

My friend recently(2-3 Months ago) got 360 and doesnt like it, he decided to get a wii which i have. he is trying to sell the 360. it has everything wrapped except for the system, hard drive and wireless controllers he said he would do 250 for the system( hdd etc.) a game and an additional wireless controller i offered 200 and a wii game he considered it, i m thinking of 200 and 2 wii games hopefully he will agree. now this birthdate is fairly new but pre cooler chip. can i send it into microsoft for a new one?

OK, I finally got a 360 (yays!). My problem is I absolutely need the rapetastically expensive wi-fi addition. I really don't feel like buying that today so I don't have it internet enabled yet. I'm really digging the idea of leaderboards and achievements. If I'm not online, does the console save my data until the next time I connect to the internet so I can credit my high scores and achievements to my account? As of now I might as well not even play the thing if that's the case.

I know that the "Windows" controller has a receiver that plugs into a USB port on a PC. But will it work with an Xbox 360 without plugging in the USB receiver? I mean, is the actual controller the same, just with an added receiver for Windows? I assume that the Xbox has the wireless receiver built in, and doesn't need the external one. I can get get the Windows version cheaper locally, and wonder if I can just throw away the receiver and use it as is with the Xbox 360.

[quote name='pwhitenight']I know that the "Windows" controller has a receiver that plugs into a USB port on a PC. But will it work with an Xbox 360 without plugging in the USB receiver? I mean, is the actual controller the same, just with an added receiver for Windows? I assume that the Xbox has the wireless receiver built in, and doesn't need the external one. I can get get the Windows version cheaper locally, and wonder if I can just throw away the receiver and use it as is with the Xbox 360.[/quote]It's exactly the same. Just need to sync it to the 360 or sync it to the Windows adapter.

Achievements and Gamerscore Points will upload the next time you log onto Live.

The "Windows" controller is the exact same as the 360 controller (save for the gray accent piece on the bottom vs. the silver one for the 360 controllers) so it'll sync just fine with the system. You are correct in that the wireless receiver just replicates on your PC what the 360 has inside. That also works with the wireless steering wheel as well, I believe.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Achievements and Gamerscore Points will upload the next time you log onto Live.

The "Windows" controller is the exact same as the 360 controller (save for the gray accent piece on the bottom vs. the silver one for the 360 controllers) so it'll sync just fine with the system. You are correct in that the wireless receiver just replicates on your PC what the 360 has inside. That also works with the wireless steering wheel as well, I believe.[/quote]

Thank you!

How much could I get for this?

Xbox 360 Premium
HD-DVD attachment
2 wireless controllers
Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote
Xbox Live Vision Camera
1 play & charge kit

6 games:
Call Of Duty 2
Earth Defense Force 2017
Gun
MotoGP 2006
Saint's Row
Viva Pinata

I'm absolutely sick of dealing with the Xbox part of Microsoft. I figure with the money I could pick up a decent TV.

Using a 3rd party battery and charger cable, is it possible to plug in the 360 controller to my PC's usb port and will work fine?

I have my 360 connected to my Philips 30" HD-Ready CRT via component cables
(TV similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-30PW8420-30-Widescreen-HD-Ready/dp/B000AIOWSS)

and when I select 1080i on the 360 dashboard, the screen readjusts but the left side is cut off by about an inch. The TV doesn't support 720p, so my choices are only 480p or 1080i. I would really like to run 1080i, but I can't seem to fix the screen.

The screen format is locked at widescreen, so I'm not sure what other places to check.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Using a 3rd party battery and charger cable, is it possible to plug in the 360 controller to my PC's usb port and will work fine?[/quote]The cables are just for charging. At least that's how the 1st party cables work and I'd be surprised if 3rd party cables allow that functionality or if the port on the controller allows for data transfer at all.

They usually just fix the one you send it in and send it back to you.

Warranty is 3 years, not sure how they figure the start date (probably the sale date they have on file) and I don't think it resets when they fix it. Will be 3 years from the sale date or whatever.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The cables are just for charging. At least that's how the 1st party cables work and I'd be surprised if 3rd party cables allow that functionality or if the port on the controller allows for data transfer at all.[/QUOTE]

OK i just answered the question... by plugging it into my usb port on my pc, my XP picked it up as Xbox 360 controller via play and charge kit... However it does NOT show up on the game controllers on the control panel. :(

It is charging it though :=|

[quote name='dmaul1114']They usually just fix the one you send it in and send it back to you.

Warranty is 3 years, not sure how they figure the start date (probably the sale date they have on file) and I don't think it resets when they fix it. Will be 3 years from the sale date or whatever.[/QUOTE]

RROD only.
RROD only.
RROD only.

Sorry, but we're going to get to a point soon, that if no one makes that qualification, that everyone will assume that the 360 has a tree-year warranty, and it's simply not true.

my 360 just started doing this. when I first put a disk in, the drive "squeals."
It is an awful noise, sounds like rubber rubbing somewhere. it is not all games, but most. what sucks, halo 3 is one of the games it does it with. I would hate for my 360 to eat my first full price game in years:) After the initial boot, no more load squeal.

Any thoughts?

Hi there, I know this is not a support forum but someone must know the answer to this.

I got Dead Rising and it asked me to update. Annoyingly, when it came up, i was pushing the back buttons and was trying to quit back to the dashboard* so i accidentally chose to NOT to update.

Thing is, i never saw the update screen again (it's been a couple of weeks) but do want to update. Is there any way for me to manually start an update? Is it worth worrying about?

Cheers
TD

*if you're wondering why i did that. It's because i run my xbox 360 through a vga cable. At my native resolution 1366x780 i get horrible horrible screen tearing with Dead Rising so need to change it to 720 to avoid it. I started it in 768 and knew i was going to get tearing so tried to quit.

Actually, while i'm on the topics of VGA cables. I have the option to use my component cable is this a better option? I find it looks a little jaggy and the colours too saturated but could just be because i'm not used to it. I guess this is just a personal preference thing but i would be interested in hearing peoples opinions.

For me, the 360 looks better at the native resolution of the LCD (using VGA) than it did over component. Also, I watch DVD movies and the 360 naturally upscales everything via VGA. If I used the component cables then DVD movies would only run at 480p. So for me VGA is the better choice.

I have no idea about the update though. Sorry.

The only way I know is to clear the cache. This will clear the updates for all your games, so you will be redownloading and updating a lot if you have many games.

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a messsage will appear saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?

Performing this function will also clear any software updates.

Yeah, mine makes this noise, too. I noticed it when I popped in Halo 3. I guess all we can do is hope for the best. I have mine placed vertically.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']The only way I know is to clear the cache. This will clear the updates for all your games, so you will be redownloading and updating a lot if you have many games.

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a messsage will appear saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?

Performing this function will also clear any software updates.
[/quote]

What he said. And honestly, never cancel an update because they're "annoying".

Updates make games run better, fix problems, and cancelling them puts you in this position again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back