XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can clean any disc by putting it in a blender with a bag of nails.

Turn to Puree for 3 minutes, then pulse 10 times.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Blame what you like, you're still an idiot.

Next time I recommend not kicking over your $300 console.[/quote]

Regardless of if someone is kicking it or not I'd HOPE a $300 console wouldn't scratch your disks... What year are we in? How long have CDs and CD drives been around?

BTW, I had it scratch my disk, I didn't touch it, didn't kick it, and I put it in right.

[quote name='Surferflames']After my cat kept chewing through wireless headsets, I finally shelled out for a used wireless one. I have the usb charge model and, aside from forgetting to charge it when I go to work, it works fine.[/quote]

I'm assuming you meant "Wired" Not "Wireless"

My 360 has put a nice scratches in all of my games now. And no PyroGamer, I didn't kick it. So maybe there's some validity to blaming the hardware since this happens to a lot of people?

[quote name='MirrorImage']I'm sorry if it was misleading, It just meant that something in the 360 scratched the disk. I wasn't trying to point blame, it's just that, well the machine is what scratched it, even if I'm the cause....or something.

I also did not know its main exaust port was on the bottom. I had it standing up for fear that I may step right on top of it at one point in time and break it. I should just find a new place for it so nothing bad happens!

Hmm. I will do more research on this toothpaste fixing disks before I do anything. Years ago I had this stuff from gamestop that worked sometimes. I wonder if they still sell it.[/quote]

I've never seen/heard of that goop, and I work at Gamestop. There's places including GS/EB, though, that are starting to sell these clear films you can put over your games to prevent scratching the disc itself; so if the film gets too scratched to read, you can just slap another one on there. Not too expensive, and definitely something to consider.

Does Vista == Media Center XP in terms of Xbox 360 media center connectivity (i.e. I can stream anything)?

I thought I read it somewhere but can't find any info on it now.

Okay, heres the thing....
I create an XBL account with ONE month for $7.99
Now my brother JUST wanted to know if he too had an account, which he didnt BTW, so being the bigger brother that I am, I decided to create him an XBL account with the $0.00 membership, the Silver one if thats whats its called. But it turns out that thats was just a ONE month FREE trial...which I didnt like and wanted for him. And he's underage or below 18 so I became his 'parent.'
So now, there's two accounts on the Xbox with XBL, and I dont want to have to pay for two.

The thing is it doesnt allow me to cancel any membership. I think you're going to have to wait till it expires or something, but Im afreaid that itll charge the money to my CC.
How can I cancel my brothers XBL membership? Ive talked to a guy on XBL and he said that I can canel it by going to the XB06's MEMORY and just deleting his account....wil that work?
ANy others?

[quote name='BernardB89']Okay, heres the thing....
I create an XBL account with ONE month for $7.99
Now my brother JUST wanted to know if he too had an account, which he didnt BTW, so being the bigger brother that I am, I decided to create him an XBL account with the $0.00 membership, the Silver one if thats whats its called. But it turns out that thats was just a ONE month FREE trial...which I didnt like and wanted for him. And he's underage or below 18 so I became his 'parent.'
So now, there's two accounts on the Xbox with XBL, and I dont want to have to pay for two.

The thing is it doesnt allow me to cancel any membership. I think you're going to have to wait till it expires or something, but Im afreaid that itll charge the money to my CC.
How can I cancel my brothers XBL membership? Ive talked to a guy on XBL and he said that I can canel it by going to the XB06's MEMORY and just deleting his account....wil that work?
ANy others?[/quote]I'm a little confused, but if you signed up your brother for the Silver membership, it is automatically a free 1-month Gold trial account. After that 1 month is up, it should revert back to a free Silver account.

Anyone send their 360 wheel back for the recall?

I sent mine last monday (12/10) and received it back yesterday (12/17). I noticed its a different model and serial number but looks new, can't tell if its a refurbed one or what, suck if it was a refurb. Just wondering other peoples experience on this or if they know they were sending new ones back.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I'm a little confused, but if you signed up your brother for the Silver membership, it is automatically a free 1-month Gold trial account. After that 1 month is up, it should revert back to a free Silver account.[/quote]

So it will never charge anything to my credit card? Its always zero until I CHOOSE to buy either of the Gold memberships right?
What happenes if I DELETE his account on the Memory? Will that terminate the membership(silver or zero cost) and or or will that also terminate his gamertag?

Is there any easy way to switch controllers on the 360? For example, i'm playing on controller A. It's starting to run out of batteries, so I want to charge controller A but I also want it to be the 2nd controller on the 360 while I make controller B the 1st one.

[quote name='yummytyson']Is there any easy way to switch controllers on the 360? For example, i'm playing on controller A. It's starting to run out of batteries, so I want to charge controller A but I also want it to be the 2nd controller on the 360 while I make controller B the 1st one.[/QUOTE]

It's much easier just to switch the battery packs.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's much easier just to switch the battery packs.[/quote]

thank you. never came to mind, guess i'll be doing that from now on :)

[quote name='BernardB89']So it will never charge anything to my credit card? Its always zero until I CHOOSE to buy either of the Gold memberships right?
What happenes if I DELETE his account on the Memory? Will that terminate the membership(silver or zero cost) and or or will that also terminate his gamertag?[/quote]I just signed up for another Silver membership (so I can clean up my friends list a bit) and if you chose the option for Silver, it shouldn't have asked for your credit card info. Once that free month of Gold membership ends, it reverts to the free Silver membership. It shouldn't charge you at all.

You can verify this on your console in "Account Management" or on Xbox.com, but I'm not sure what the address for the latter is. It should be somewhere in "My Xbox".

As for the account terminating, I'm pretty sure it won't terminate the account just by deleting it from your memory card/hard drive. I'm not certain as to how long they keep a GT circulating that has been dormant.

And for clarification purposes judging from your post:

Gold = pay service
Silver = free service

I just purchased an elite a couple of days ago. I was playing Forza 2 and I had my 360 in the vertical position. The console got bumped, but it didn't fall flat. It was leaning against my cabinet at about a 45 degree angle. Unfortunatley, my disc did get scratched and now has the rings on it. Since the disc was part of the 2-pack that comes with the 360, where do I go/call to get a new disc?

So should I just recover my profile to my new console (The elite) Or transfer my profile with a memory card? I want to keep playing the arcade games on my Pro system.

So what do I need to buy in order to play my 360 on a TV with composite inputs only (R,W,Y)? I'm headed to the inlaws for the holidays and I just can't be without my 360 for the only time of the year I don't have to go to work...

[quote name='javeryh']So what do I need to buy in order to play my 360 on a TV with composite inputs only (R,W,Y)? I'm headed to the inlaws for the holidays and I just can't be without my 360 for the only time of the year I don't have to go to work...[/QUOTE]

The component cables. They also have a RCA video output.

Component cables for a composite TV? I'm confused. My TV is composite (R,W,Y)..so..I should be using component? ::really confused::

[quote name='lilboo']Component cables for a composite TV? I'm confused. My TV is composite (R,W,Y)..so..I should be using component? ::really confused::[/QUOTE]

The component cables include a composite video plug. Use that, plus the L and R audio plugs for composite use.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The component cables include a composite video plug. Use that, plus the L and R audio plugs for composite use.[/QUOTE]

I have to be completely retarded, and I'm sorry.
It splits off, one set of composite..the other as component. How do I set this up?! If I can get better quality out of my crappy standard TV..hell.. I will!

[quote name='lilboo']I have to be completely retarded, and I'm sorry.
It splits off, one set of composite..the other as component. How do I set this up?! If I can get better quality out of my crappy standard TV..hell.. I will![/QUOTE]

Not sure I follow. But...

HDMI
VGA
Component
Composite

with HDMI being the best. (Debateable, but only one cord)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Not sure I follow. But...

HDMI
VGA
Component
Composite

with HDMI being the best. (Debateable, but only one cord)[/QUOTE]

I'm using the cable that comes with my 360. It is 1 cable, and there's a set of R,W,Y, and a set of R,B,G. The cable splits off into the 2 sets. R,W,Y, is composite, right? Because if so, that's ALL I have on my TV.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That is correct.[/QUOTE]

Ok.
Now I'm confused.

Jav said he is going to his in-laws where there TV is composite only.
You said he needs component cables.

This is what confused me..how do you use component cables on a tv with composite only???

[quote name='lilboo']Ok.
Now I'm confused.

Jav said he is going to his in-laws where there TV is composite only.
You said he needs component cables.

This is what confused me..how do you use component cables on a tv with composite only???[/QUOTE]

The cables you have are called the component cables. They can make a component connection or a composite connection.

In other words, if he already had his setup at home through component, he wouldn't need to buy anything else. I know the Elite and Premium come with them, but I don't know what console he bought.

Got it?

Got it! :lol:
That's what I THOUGHT, and when you answered him I got confused and thought I was doing something wrong all along!

Thanks guys - I do have it set up with the component cable and and optical cable for audio. I haven't been back there in a while but it kind of rings a bell that there might be some unused composite cables attached and not plugged into anything...

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Transfer your profile and any gamesaves. You'll have to be online to play your XBLA games regardless.[/quote]

I said I want to have my profile on my elite but I still want to play my XBLA Games on my Pro system, Offline. So Here is what I want to do:

I want my XBLA Games on both systems

I want to play my XBLA Games offline on my pro system

So what should I do - Transfer my profile to my elite with a memory card or recover it to my elite?

Ok I got a wierd ass controller problem that I need some help on. Well my controller is wireless and I use a play and charge kit to charge it. So about 3 days ago my dad was going to charge the controller because it was low and plugged the cable into the controller and x-box, the light flashes on the cable for half a second then the light on the cable goes black like it is not plugged in. My dad bought another play and charge kit to see if it is the cable and same problem with different batteries packs and cables. We also tried the play and charge kit on a pc with the same results so it's not the USB ports on the x-box. So anyone else expierence this and any solutions to the problem?

Sorry if this was posted but I am lazy and don't want to read through 48 pages, lol.

I just purchased an elite a couple of days ago. I was playing Forza 2 and I had my 360 in the vertical position. The console got bumped, but it didn't fall flat. It was leaning against my cabinet at about a 45 degree angle. Unfortunatley, my disc did get scratched and now has the rings on it. Since the disc was part of the 2-pack that comes with the 360, where do I go/call to get a new disc? Is Microsoft support the best place to call?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok I got a wierd ass controller problem that I need some help on. Well my controller is wireless and I use a play and charge kit to charge it. So about 3 days ago my dad was going to charge the controller because it was low and plugged the cable into the controller and x-box, the light flashes on the cable for half a second then the light on the cable goes black like it is not plugged in. My dad bought another play and charge kit to see if it is the cable and same problem with different batteries packs and cables. We also tried the play and charge kit on a pc with the same results so it's not the USB ports on the x-box. So anyone else expierence this and any solutions to the problem?

Sorry if this was posted but I am lazy and don't want to read through 48 pages, lol.[/QUOTE]

I was having that problem too, last week. It wouldn't charge in my PC or in the front right USB port. I plugged the cable into the left USB port on the front and it worked fine.

Maybe the Xbox 360 activates the right USB port only if something is already plugged into the left USB port?

While it's obvious 360 consoles have problems, do used 360 hard drives usually have problems as well? My CAG buddy and I are thinking of getting a 20 GB HD each from the upcoming B2G1 free sale at Gamestop. I'm pretty sure they're pretty reliable, but just wanted to ask just in case.

I just go the Premium ed. 360, and it has the HDMI connector on the unit, so which HDMI cable do I need? I understand that Microsoft has it's own for the Xbox, think it's $50, but wanted to know if there was a cheaper route to take. Does Psyclone Essentials made one that'd work? Any pics of what the cable or package should look like?
Thanks in advance.

Any cheap HDMI cable will work. Digital either works perfectly or it won't work at all. Can get one for about $5 shipped at Amazon.

Dumb question.. "Will the HDMI cable really look that much better on my 1080p set than the componant cables that comes with the 360?"

[quote name='GCrusher']Dumb question.. "Will the HDMI cable really look that much better on my 1080p set than the componant cables that comes with the 360?"[/quote]

Um.

Yes.

[quote name='GCrusher']Dumb question.. "Will the HDMI cable really look that much better on my 1080p set than the componant cables that comes with the 360?"[/quote]

depends...my tv supports 1080p through component so HDMI vs Component for me would probably have negligable difference

but if your tv wont to 1080p over component then yes, you will see a noticeable difference

The MS HDMI kit is a HDMI cable and an audio output dongle, which has R/L audio out and optical audio out.

If you just need HDMI connectivity, then go pick up a cable from Monoprice.com . If you'll need optical audio out, then you'll either need the MS kit, or make some modifications to an existing cable.

[quote name='shrike4242']The MS HDMI kit is a HDMI cable and an audio output dongle, which has R/L audio out and optical audio out.

If you just need HDMI connectivity, then go pick up a cable from Monoprice.com . If you'll need optical audio out, then you'll either need the MS kit, or make some modifications to an existing cable.[/quote]

Couldn't you just get a third-party HDMI cable and a third-party optical cable?

[quote name='lpj8']Couldn't you just get a third-party HDMI cable and a third-party optical cable?[/quote]

no, you need the first party audio dongle if you need to have an optical out, which sucks

The monoprice HDMI cables are pretty shatty. I just got one this week. Great price, but quality is eh at best.

HDMI >>> component from ANY source. If you have the capabilities to run HDMI, do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back