Xenoblade Chronicles

Several nearby stores have new copies in stock in my area. What are the chances that the copies are gutted?

I thought most GameStops have a shrink wrap machine in the back that they use to reseal the gutted copies.

I ended up asking my nearest gamestop to transfer a copy from another gamestop. It was gutted, of course, but there aren't many other options. Now I need to decide if the Last Story is worth picking up as well.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Globally? Are you kidding? 12% of people don't have access to clean water. 65% of people don't use the internet. Your definition of a "niche market" has a bizarre scope. By your definition, amazon.com has cornered the "niche market" of online shoppers.

20-25% of Americans live in places too remote for broadband service to be profitable. You think they have a gamestop within 10 miles of them? And no, they're not all "in the South" unless "the South" means anywhere south, west, or north of New York City.
.[/QUOTE]

So are you proving that the DL market will never be a complete market, and that DL is only going to be a optional niche for those with access to "internet"?

Sure most country don't have a gamestop, but I can sure bet you they can get their hands on a PHYSICAL copy of a game before a actually DL something...

Whenever I see people argue about digital download and how many people in the US have broadband, I always remember this girl from NYC I once dated. She thought that she was world wise and knowledgeable about so much. She asked me where I traveled and I told her I've never had a passport. Her jaw about dropped to the floor. Then I told her, "Actually, I bet half the people in the country have never left the US". She absolutely couldn't believe it. Sometimes you have to wonder about people. I suggest a drive across the country, you might learn a thing or two.

A lot of people in the US can't afford to buy a new car, let alone spend thousands of dollars on trips halfway across the world. People live in their bubbles like thinking everyone's traveled or everyone has access to broadband access.

[quote name='nnthomas']Do buy the last remnant! Amazing game.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. One of the worst JRPG's I've ever played and I've played a fair number of them. What exactly is so amazing about it?

Last Remnant was weird for me and I never gave it enough of a chance, I'll probably look for it at GS tonight when I go. It deserves a fair shake, just like I need to give Infinite Undiscovery another shot too.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Last Remnant was weird for me and I never gave it enough of a chance, I'll probably look for it at GS tonight when I go. It deserves a fair shake, just like I need to give Infinite Undiscovery another shot too.[/QUOTE]

To me, infinite undiscovery gets better later in the game but the last remnant gets worse. TLR's story was terribly cliche (though often expected in a JRPG) and very predictable. The protagonist is an annoying whiny kid. The battles get annoying and repetitive. The side quests involved you returning to a previously explored dungeon but wait, that old dungeon has a new door that wasn't there last time and that new door has a whole new section to explore! Yippee! After doing side quests for a while I had up on them. I felt like they were biring and a huge waste of my time. Google it, there's like a undred hours of really lame and unsatisfying side quests. The equipment system must be one of the worst I've ever seen. You can only equip the main guy. I hope you don't mind using a guide because the only way to upgrade characters is to get them to ASK for the new weapon. Sometimes this isn't a problem but other times this means they have to be in your party when you kill a certain boss then you pray that the item drops and that they actually ask for it. To make matters worse, if you don't understand this system ahead of time you might tell them no thinking that you want to use the weapon. You NEVER want to say no as there is no other way to up upgrade their equipment! I won't even bother with the technical issues as they're well known by now and these dumbass gameplay systems are much more of a problem to me.

By the time I got to the final dungeo I was so tired of the game that I quit playing it without finishing. I eventually FORCED myself to finish since I wanted to get rid of it and I was at the end.

[quote name='erehwon']I ended up asking my nearest gamestop to transfer a copy from another gamestop. It was gutted, of course, but there aren't many other options. Now I need to decide if the Last Story is worth picking up as well.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting TLS as well. MSRP is supposed to drop to $29.99 (it already has on Amazon). Once this happens in Gamestop/Best buy I will probably pick it up using store credit.

[quote name='tomwaits1']It's back in stock at gamestop.com.

Hopefully these aren't gutted leftovers...[/QUOTE]
Thanks buddy, missed on the first restock and I aint driving 50 miles to find my closest gutted copy. If it is gutted then I will probably return it, but I have my fingers crossed.

[quote name='Blaster man']Couldn't disagree more. One of the worst JRPG's I've ever played and I've played a fair number of them. What exactly is so amazing about it?[/QUOTE]

Judging by your prior post (whilst praising the oh so better lulz Infinite Undiscovery) - you are pretty convinced it's crap. No need to waste my time. PEACE

ps. The PC version was made for people who found the original too difficult (can make teams of all leaders) as well as slow (turbo mode added). Try that version instead.

[quote name='nnthomas']Judging by your prior post (whilst praising the oh so better lulz Infinite Undiscovery) - you are pretty convinced it's crap. No need to waste my time. PEACE

ps. The PC version was made for people who found the original too difficult. Try that version instead.[/QUOTE]
Good reasoning! In summary, don't buy it, you're just kidding!

The Last Remnant wasn't a bad game but it had terrible performance issues on the 360. Hopefully the PC version didn't suffer the same fate.

Had it in my cart just now, tried to sign in and it wasn't working, tried to just complete the transaction and now it says sold out...

[quote name='JaylisJayP']This thread has made me want to try The Last Remnant and rebuy Lost Odyssey :)[/QUOTE]

Lost Odyssey is an alright game. I played it a few years ago and the combat system was not very fun. I liked the story and characters a lot though. It was definitely not your run of the mill JRPG story. If you've got 50 hours to kill, go for it.

[quote name='gordo789']Lost Odyssey is an alright game. I played it a few years ago and the combat system was not very fun. I liked the story and characters a lot though. It was definitely not your run of the mill JRPG story. If you've got 50 hours to kill, go for it.[/QUOTE]

Lost odyssey ending made my wife cry.

[quote name='Blaster man']To me, infinite undiscovery gets better later in the game but the last remnant gets worse. TLR's story was terribly cliche (though often expected in a JRPG) and very predictable. The protagonist is an annoying whiny kid. The battles get annoying and repetitive. The side quests involved you returning to a previously explored dungeon but wait, that old dungeon has a new door that wasn't there last time and that new door has a whole new section to explore! Yippee! After doing side quests for a while I had up on them. I felt like they were biring and a huge waste of my time. Google it, there's like a undred hours of really lame and unsatisfying side quests. The equipment system must be one of the worst I've ever seen. You can only equip the main guy. I hope you don't mind using a guide because the only way to upgrade characters is to get them to ASK for the new weapon. Sometimes this isn't a problem but other times this means they have to be in your party when you kill a certain boss then you pray that the item drops and that they actually ask for it. To make matters worse, if you don't understand this system ahead of time you might tell them no thinking that you want to use the weapon. You NEVER want to say no as there is no other way to up upgrade their equipment! I won't even bother with the technical issues as they're well known by now and these dumbass gameplay systems are much more of a problem to me.

By the time I got to the final dungeo I was so tired of the game that I quit playing it without finishing. I eventually FORCED myself to finish since I wanted to get rid of it and I was at the end.[/QUOTE]

Huh, interesting. I've heard it wasn't that bad. I'd probably still want to try it myself, and I'm only into sidequests if they add something to the game.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Huh, interesting. I've heard it wasn't that bad. I'd probably still want to try it myself, and I'm only into sidequests if they add something to the game.[/QUOTE]

By all means give it a try if you can get it cheap. The beginning is pretty fun but it gets worse over time.

[quote name='gordo789'] If you've got 50 hours to kill, go for it.[/QUOTE]

So whats that 2 days and a couple hour to some gamer + 10 Monster drink and 4 bags of Cheetos

[quote name='WilliamG']I keep repeating myself, but you're missing out on the best RPG I've played in recent memory. Heck, one of the best RPGs I've EVER played (and I've played a lot).

It does so many things right, like doing away with so many of the annoyances of JRPGs. Gawd.. it was just brilliant. I hope there's more like it, but preferably on the Wii U or on some other HD console.[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing that from people, and that's why I haven't sold my sealed copy yet. Every time I get ready to throw Xenoblade up on eBay I read something like this and I'm convinced to keep it. At this rate I'll probably just end up playing it, even if it is super long to beat. It does look really good.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']I keep hearing that from people, and that's why I haven't sold my sealed copy yet. Every time I get ready to throw Xenoblade up on eBay I read something like this and I'm convinced to keep it. At this rate I'll probably just end up playing it, even if it is super long to beat. It does look really good.[/QUOTE]

Why not sell the sealed copy and buy a new one? It will lower the net cost

[quote name='gordo789']Lost Odyssey is an alright game. I played it a few years ago and the combat system was not very fun. I liked the story and characters a lot though. It was definitely not your run of the mill JRPG story. If you've got 50 hours to kill, go for it.[/QUOTE]
Lost Odyssey was so close to being an all-time great. The Thousand Years of Dreams stuff was brilliant, and the characters and story were pretty great. Something was still off about it, though - it's like the final product was less than the sum of its great parts, if that makes sense. Maybe the turn-based combat didn't gel with the rest? I don't know.

It's still one of the best games I've played this generation, though.

I still have my sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles waiting to be played. I wish it hadn't come out on the Wii... I hate the damn controls. Maybe it would be better on the Wii U?

[quote name='simmias']

I still have my sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles waiting to be played. I wish it hadn't come out on the Wii... I hate the damn controls. Maybe it would be better on the Wii U?[/QUOTE]

You will have to use the same Wii mote to control the Wii games on the Wii U. Unless there is something I didnt hear about. Im with you though, I would rather use an NES controller to play a game than the Wii mote.

[quote name='simmias']Lost Odyssey was so close to being an all-time great. The Thousand Years of Dreams stuff was brilliant, and the characters and story were pretty great. Something was still off about it, though - it's like the final product was less than the sum of its great parts, if that makes sense. Maybe the turn-based combat didn't gel with the rest? I don't know.

It's still one of the best games I've played this generation, though.

I still have my sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles waiting to be played. I wish it hadn't come out on the Wii... I hate the damn controls. Maybe it would be better on the Wii U?[/QUOTE]

Encounter rates were way too high. Some of the longer dungeons at the end especially.

[quote name='simmias']

Why not play it with the Classic Controller?

[quote name='WilliamG']Why not play it with the Classic Controller?[/QUOTE]

The Classic Controller Pro works really well for Xenoblade, as does The Last Story. It's mildly annoying that it has to be connected to a Wiimote, but that's a minor complaint.

[quote name='chunlirocks']buyandflip
buyandflip
buyandflip[/QUOTE]

Sums up this thread I just opened mine and enjoyed it when it came out.

[quote name='get_loud']Just got my order delivered and opening it now. Who's taking bets if its sealed or not?[/QUOTE]

I bet it's sealed.

Despite having everything (inserts, Nintendo coin code, manual) and an absolutely pristine disc, it was indeed not sealed and had the GS sticker price on the cover. But since I bought it to play it and have been searching for weeks, I'm very satisfied. And a nice bit of karma for those flippers hoping to get extra $$$ for factory sealed copies.

I ended up buying this a few weeks before Christmas from the site and was so glad to get a brand new copy (sealed!). It's a very good game (one of the best RPGs released in the US last year) and its a title that will always stay in my collection. It would be awesome if they did a HD remake of it for the Wii U but either way, the game is still beautiful and enjoyable. Since the semester has started (final semester before graduation!) and between doing my internship, school and life in general, I will not be able to dedicate that much time to XBC. Hopefully, when I do get more time, I'll be able to play it with a Pro Controller (plan to grab one soon).

[quote name='get_loud']Despite having everything (inserts, Nintendo coin code, manual) and an absolutely pristine disc, it was indeed not sealed and had the GS sticker price on the cover. But since I bought it to play it and have been searching for weeks, I'm very satisfied. And a nice bit of karma for those flippers hoping to get extra $$$ for factory sealed copies.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a joke that Gamestop opens copies. Mental.

Either way, enjoy the game. It was a slice of brilliance.

Anyone that's still got a sealed new copy should keep it sealed and buy a play copy. Sealed copies are going for a premium already. This is looking to be a collector classic that may not be reprinted, or remade anytime soon, if ever.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Pretty sure the digital market will still be a niche market for a long time...

More then 75% of the world don't even have high speed internet capable of doing downloads like these feasible yet.

Also even in America almost 20 to 25% of americans don't even have access to high speed internet..

So a future of DL games is never ever going to happen[/QUOTE]

I'd posit that if they can't afford or access broadband that they aren't buying much, if any, new games anyway, so why should gaming companies give a damn about them?

Does the Gamestop low stock indicator on the website really mean it's just gutted copies left? The Gamestop near me is so incompetent, I can't trust them to understand my definition of new over the phone.

[quote name='WilliamG']Why not play it with the Classic Controller?[/QUOTE]

Playing Last Story with the classic controller now. Works great - should have bought one of these controllers years ago.

[quote name='Kazuya']Does the Gamestop low stock indicator on the website really mean it's just gutted copies left? The Gamestop near me is so incompetent, I can't trust them to understand my definition of new over the phone.[/QUOTE]

Not always. The store I went to had two factory sealed copies in a drawer.

My 2 copies I ordered in the morning shipped. One to play and one to keep sealed however that might not be the case since get_loud's new copy was gutted...

Has anyone ever received a gutted copy from Gamestop that was missing a manual or a DLC card or something?

I'm just curious, because they are toeing the line here legally with their gutted copies as it is, but if they are truly "new" like they claim and just stored for display, then they should all come with original inserts. If not, then they have zero leg to stand on if legal action ever progressed on this issue. I know they got in trouble with it before.

One gutted copy at my store. no way I'm a pay full price for an open copy! Clerk went to get case from racks without even asking me if I was interested in an open box game...........hate GameStop.

bread's done
Back