Yakuza 3 comes West, Right now!

[quote name='pete5883']So, there's this leaked Sega memo saying that maybe they'd put the un-translated import of Yakuza 3 up on the PS store - can we all agree that this would be bullshit? I mean, if I wanted to not understand the game, I'd just import it.[/QUOTE]

Are you really foolish enough to think Sony would let Sega put up an untranslated game on the North American PSN store?

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Are you really foolish enough to think Sony would let Sega put up an untranslated game on the North American PSN store?[/QUOTE]
According to the leaked document they discussed the possibility with SCEA. And it's not all that foolish to think Sony would allow something like that.

Yakuza
Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Are you really foolish enough to think Sony would let Sega put up an untranslated game on the North American PSN store?[/QUOTE]
Nintendo's done it. Why can't Sony?

If they translate the menus, and add subtitles, then they have completely localized it. The memo specifically mentions translating only the menus.

[quote name='pete5883']If they translate the menus, and add subtitles, then they have completely localized it. The memo specifically mentions translating only the menus.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza
Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).

Why would they release a game with no subtitles? Where is the logic in that? And apparently the memo DOES say to at least add subtitles.

I feel ignored here...

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Yakuza

Why would they release a game with no subtitles? Where is the logic in that? And apparently the memo DOES say to at least add subtitles.[/QUOTE]

You missed the part where says "Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles." That would indicate that they might need to at least translate the menus for the game. It says nothing about translating the game's dialogue.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I feel ignored here...

You missed the part where says "Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles." That would indicate that they might need to at least translate the menus for the game. It says nothing about translating the game's dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Okay. So you're saying they're not going to translate the game. I'm saying they will because it would be stupid and a financial suicide otherwise. I'm sorry that I'd like to give Sega and Sony more credit than that.

No, I'm pointing out that it's a possibility that they might just translate the menus. And it would be far from financial suicide if they did something like that...

I enjoyed the first Yakuza. The city looked great and the story was very interesting.

The combat was decent, nothing spectacular but I still enjoyed the game. I'd love to play the second one and news of the third coming stateside is always welcomed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18013966&postcount=424
The below quote is likely nothing, just some poster over at NeoGAF, so it would depend on this Cyntec fella's reliability.

[quote name='Cyntec @ GAF']your wish will be granted...

Yesterday Sega told me alot about Yakuza 3, after begging for more information about a western release.

To short this up: Sega brings Yakuza 3 with an english translation. Japanese voice, english subtitles - just like Y2. No internal release-date set so far, but I guess it will hit early 2010.

There are some funny background-information about the western release, but can't tell yet. Maybe I'll doo after Sega officially announced the game.[/quote]

I'd be happy with that - Sega overpaid for name voice actors for Yakuza, and after playing 1 chapter of Yakuza 2 last night, the game's atmosphere is so much different - almost all for the better, after putting 1-2 hours in Yakuza 2. (and that's in spit of the fact that it was disheartening to see that you start off Y2 in the same part of the city you spend almost all of the first game in.)

That makes seem like it will be a DD only release. Which wouldn't be that shocking to see since the last 2 games didn't sell that well.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That makes seem like it will be a DD only release. Which wouldn't be that shocking to see since the last 2 games didn't sell that well.[/QUOTE]

I hope Sony and/or Sega find a way to download the game in parts and then stitch them together like a .rar file -- I trust my internet connection but can't imagine trying to download a 10+ gig file in one sitting.

This is a for sure day one pick up for me. I tried to forget about this game, then I seen the trailer for Yakuza 4 on PSN and cried!

This is the closest I will ever get to Shenmue 3.

Sweet - but Sega's gonna have another self-fulfilling prophecy of poor sales by releasing it the same month as God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII.

[quote name='yukine']Awesome news! Can't wait.

But myke is right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I heard March a while back I wasn't too happy about it given that 2 other major releases (possibly 3) are coming that month. But you know...it's Sega. They have this thing that always seems to make bad stuff happen for their best games...and their worst games.

Sweet! just ANOTHER game to pick up in the already crowded 1st part of next year. But still, I am amped that sega is bringing it out here.

I'll be putting this in the OP briefly.

Basically, the game will feature English Subtitles, but will maintain the original Japanese Voice Acting. By the way, that's a departure from SCEA's stance on localization.

I was excited for the announcement, buy I just have to say it despite the fact that everyone and their gaming brother has said it: WHY MARCH? The whole reason they were skeptical of Yakuza's localization was because the first two sold so poorly. Do they really expect it to be able to stand tall in the same MONTH where God of War, Final Fantasy, and other high profile games are premiering, to say nothing of the sheer amount of the quarter.

I'll probably end up buying it to support the series and hopefully help Yakuza 4 get localized, but they really should delay it a little. August/September would fare quite a bit better. I'm also simultaneously disappointed and happy to see that they're just going to do English subtitles, rather than English voice overs. I'd love to not have to squint as the usually tiny subtitles, but if saving money on voice actors is what it took to get Yakuza 3 localized, then I'm fine with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hells yes. Make sure to buy it this time fools so they'll bring over the 4th one!

DSC04417.JPG

DSC04420.JPG

Proper localization too like the 2nd game, hells yes.

Can't wait for it. March is going to be stacked. It's too bad I never got a chance to play Yakuza 2 though.

Haha those are some great screens.

[quote name='KingBroly']Why wouldn't it come on a disc?[/QUOTE]

'Cause it was my understanding that the game would only have Japanese voice track, and games released on disc would need to have an English voice track.

All Japanese-only voiced games would be released on the "Japan Special" channel in the PSN, which was rumored around E3 of this year.

Can anybody answer for me why the JPN demo locked up on me after I finished the fight in the night club (after the cutscenes and talking) when I was leaving the night club to go back outside (I wanted to see what else I could do in the demo)?

It locked my system up and I had to do a manual shutdown, I'm concerned about playing it again, if everytime I start it up and play it, it's going to go and lock up on me.

Any ideas?

Did you try it again and it happens there each time or did it only do it once? My system has locked up on me a few times, well probably a couple dozen times total now since I've had it. I probably should actually worry about it but I don't, and it is still fine.

I thought it was going to be download only at 39.99? while yakuza 3 will definately bought by me I would rather gameshare it for $8 and buy it later then pay the full $60 for a game that was released more then a year ago. (no real complains though)

Yeah, I'd really want to give Sega an even smaller financial incentive to bring a game over that we thought we'd never see. That'll bring us Yakuza 4 and Shenmue III.

[quote name='phantasyx']I thought it was going to be download only at 39.99? while yakuza 3 will definately bought by me I would rather gameshare it for $8 and buy it later then pay the full $60 for a game that was released more then a year ago. (no real complains though)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Sega is releasing it on disc because of the gamesharing?

Yakuza 3 popped up in my Amazon Gold Box today -- added it to an existing order w/ the ECA coupon for a final price of $50.50.

Even if it was on the PSN, they can still prevent gamesharing just as with games such as GT5 Prologue and Socom and various betas. It's just that SECA has had a history of demanding English voiceovers in U.S. games and this may not be the case with Yakuza.

[quote name='phantasyx']I thought it was going to be download only at 39.99? while yakuza 3 will definately bought by me I would rather gameshare it for $8 and buy it later then pay the full $60 for a game that was released more then a year ago. (no real complains though)[/QUOTE]

Turns out that Yakuza 3 will include an English voice track after all, according to PS3Center.net

"Sega made a lot of PS3 owners very happy late in 2009 when they announced that Yakuza 3 would finally be making the leap across the pond from Japan to North America and Europe. Sega originally had no plans to bring the title over, but fan response encouraged them to do so. However, in a move presumably to keep the localization costs low, Sega did specify that the game would feature the original Japanese voice overs with English subtitles.

Something must has changed over at Sega, though, as Sega of America studio director Constantine Hantzopoulos has seemingly confirmed the North American/European localization will have English voice overs. Speaking on the latest 4 Guys 1 Up podcast, Constantine talks extensively about the costs of bringing the game over, including hiring voice actors.

"The bulk of the cost is actually the [voice overs]," said Constantine, in regards to how much Sega is spending to bring the game over. "A lot of lines in [Yakuza 3] so obviously the more expensive it gets, you wanna land the right actors, voice the right parts."

"Whenever Sega brings a game over [to the US] and makes the investment, the heavy investment, into localization, we're talking over 500, 600, 700K to localize this game. Lot of voices, lot of different peeps, lot of different characters."

When asked about which voice actors will be featured in Yakuza 3, Constantine simply said they hadn't announced anything yet.

Yakuza 3 is due out in March 2010."

Sega will, with near complete certainty, include the Japanese language track since they had dual audio in "Valkyria Chronicles."

So the game's size may be its reason for physical distribution rather than being downloadable.

I kinda wish they didn't bother with American voice actors. They way overspent on the first one with "star power" (that nobody noticed). This adds substantially to the cost to release it in the US, and therefore the threshold of sales needed to make it a "success" greater.

They're taking a bigger risk, in short, which raises concerns that we'll never see Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 in the US if 3 bombs - and I know we'll never see Kenzan, but it would be nice to think it possible.

Hey, if they're willing to listen to their fanbase, maybe it's time for people to vocalize their desire to see a conclusion to the Shenmue series. ;)

Damnit myke, stop bringing up Shenmue. I've let that go now. I'll just pretend Ryo retrieved the mirrors and killed Lan Di or something.

Sega should just hire the same guys who did the Shenmue voiceovers. I'm sure they didn't cost much if anything. I didn't realise the first Yakuza had hollywood actors doing the voices till years afterward. They didn't make it sound any better or worse than usual.

bread's done
Back