YAKUZA 3 (PS3) Preorders Open @ GameStop and Amazon $54.99

I saw this thread earlier today and ive been debating all day whether to order from gamestop or not. In the end I ordered and it came out to $52, if anything I can cancel later. Better to have my order in before the coupon expires than to kick myself in the ass for not ordering it.

I want to preorder it, but it's total bunk that they're charging tax, even if you use store credit to purchase it.
In the end it's still less expensive than ordering it at B&M store, and I guess I can always return rebuy at the store locally. So much hassle for something that shouldn't even be an issue in the first place.

Why is it "bunk" that they're charging tax? They have a store in your state so they get charged a sales tax when selling merchandise over the internet to you.

I got it, the tax thing doesn't bother ne as I am in NY so Amazon does the same. First pre-order from GS, I usually refuse to use them unless it is a previous generation used item that is no more than eBay. If they keep doing deals like this, they might get more of my business for new items.

I don't see why store credit should mean no tax, it is just a form of payment; State laws require them to charge you tax or not - not the form of payment.

So I already preordered at Amazon for $52.24 shipped on the 12th. I just preordered at Gamestop for $50.63 with an supposed shipped date of the 12th or 13th. Hmmmm.... The dlc might be the deal-breaker (that and it's almost 2 dollars less). I suspect it's probably a limited exclusive though since it'll probably on PSN later either for free or for a few bucks. BTW, if anyone is still on the fence about this game there is an old demo on the Japanese PSN store.

It's bunk because if I go into the store and use the credit on my edge card, I don't pay tax. Because I traded to get something. If I purchase it online, though, from the same retailer using credit, I do pay taxes.

Yes, I don't pay tax in store with an all credit purchase.
Or if credit doesn't cover the full cost, tax is charged only for the remainder.

Varies by state of course.

If you don't wanna pay tax at Gamestop, better trade in a shit load of games and hoping it adds up to 60 bucks in order to avoid tax in general. So for example you trade in games worth of 50 bucks, you'll end up paying a dollar for tax or close to it and so on. But tax is tax, you're basically getting the game for 47.99 which I think is awesome. Great online deal plus good free shipping unlike Amazon's free shipping (not prime or whatever) which will take forever to be sent to you. I rather go with this deal because you get a DLC for free. 50/50 chance it might be free in the future on PSN but I rather not and just pay up. The game will be worth whatever the price may be.

[quote name='djduke316'] The dlc might be the deal-breaker (that and it's almost 2 dollars less). I suspect it's probably a limited exclusive though since it'll probably on PSN later either for free or for a few bucks. BTW, if anyone is still on the fence about this game there is an old demo on the Japanese PSN store.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'd say it will pop up on PSN at some point.

i think it will most definitely be on the psn weeks, maybe months after the release.

The pre-order dlc for the naruto ultimate ninja storm game did pop up on the psn after all the other free dlc popped up and it was free.

this too will come up and most likely for free.

[quote name='dallow']Yes, I don't pay tax in store with an all credit purchase.
Or if credit doesn't cover the full cost, tax is charged only for the remainder.

Varies by state of course.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I have to check that out. It might be an error in their POS system that does that, I've done POS design for a few companies and none of the states we did had any laws on taxes that cared what form of payment was taken in. What states are you guys in that don't get charged tax on a credit purchase? Is it only on trade-in credit or if you buy a gift card do not get charged tax too?

[quote name='freshzen']I'm disappointed that I won't be able to play this game on Xbox 360 for achievements. I actually really enjoyed the first one back in the day when it first came out. I will probably hold out for as long as I can to wait and see if this gets ported to 360 cause I really don't care about PS3 trophies.[/QUOTE]

:facepalm:

And I thought I was being ridiculous.

[quote name='onapartyrock']Wow... I have to check that out. It might be an error in their POS system that does that, I've done POS design for a few companies and none of the states we did had any laws on taxes that cared what form of payment was taken in. What states are you guys in that don't get charged tax on a credit purchase? Is it only on trade-in credit or if you buy a gift card do not get charged tax too?[/QUOTE]
Washington. It's only if you put it on an Edge card or use the credit immediately. If you use a gift card, you have to pay taxes. It works in Idaho, too. The only other state I've been to gamestop in was Oregon, and no sales tax there, so no way to know if it would have been the same.

Most places around here will put it on a gift card, like Hastings or Blockbuster, so when you go to buy something, you're paying taxes. When there were still Game Crazies by me I didn't have to pay tax there either, when I used store credit. I'm guessing now that it's part of the state law for sales tax, but I had always thought it was universal with gamestop.

I pre-ordered it. Just beat the first one on ps2 and I dont' even own a ps3 yet. Lol. I want to buy it release day and help send a message to sega to localize yakuza 4.

Took this deal up the instant I saw it, the release date is perfect for me as well I would much rather play a realistic mature Japanese story than a unbelievable overdramatic Final Fantasy story.

[quote name='onapartyrock']Wow... I have to check that out. It might be an error in their POS system that does that, I've done POS design for a few companies and none of the states we did had any laws on taxes that cared what form of payment was taken in. What states are you guys in that don't get charged tax on a credit purchase? Is it only on trade-in credit or if you buy a gift card do not get charged tax too?[/QUOTE]
Texas for me, and the credit is purely from game trade-ins.
I haven't bought a giftcard from them, but I would expect to be charged tax for that.

Sweet thanks for the heads up. Preordered. Hopefully enough buy this game at launch that we get Yakuza Kenzan and Yakuza 4 in the US.

It is official, I have pre-ordered Yakuza 3. Now to wait.

FFXIII is going to disappoint a ton of people.

Thanks TC February and March are gonna be hell for me >.< White Knight Chronicle,Star Ocean, FF13, and Yakuza 3 ;O!

Interesting, just pulled up some tax docs, it appears Gamestop is using laws that were mainly written for trade-ins on cars but does apply to their model too. Guess thats why I didn't see it in my POS design, there are only 7 states and DC that tax the trade in value, I would call them and have them remove the tax and complain that their website is in viloation of your State's tax laws.

They could be looking at a potentinal class action lawsuit unless the laws state you have to be in a physical dealer location to get that break. I remember CompUSA got sued for charging taxes on services in Florida, they did give Florida the tax money so they were not make any extra profit, but they had to pay back customers.

[quote name='powersurge']Sweet thanks for the heads up. Preordered. Hopefully enough buy this game at launch that we get Yakuza Kenzan and Yakuza 4 in the US.[/QUOTE]

Kenzan I doubt, but I'm really hoping we do well enough for 4. I'd like Kenzan, but I've heard translating it would be brutal. The Japanese version has a built in glossary defining terms that wouldn't be known by today's players, and they are highlighted during conversations so that you can look them up.

1/2 way through second game. love it. god i'm so pathetic, just preordered and do not own a ps3. sigh. with PA tax it came to $50.87.

Damn, I want to bite but don't want to pay $50. I have a $40 giftcard from trade-ins but when I apply it, it uses all $40, I only want to apply like $20. Is there anyway to use onlya certain amount from gamestop gift cards? I don't see any....

I just wanted to thank the OP for posting this thread up. I am terribly interested in this game, and I was dismayed to see it at $59.99. It is going to be a hard fight. $54.99 lessens the blow a little, and I think may convince some folks who would have held off. But the Gamestop coupon was awesome, when it was around.

Anybody have an ad to the $5 off deal? I went to my gamestop and they said they dont have it so I bought it at full price. He said to call later or bring an ad so we can confirm cause the website one might be an online only deal and not a store pickup.

It was $5 on the website last month when they were taking pre-orders, but has become normal price by now.

Waiting for a drop on this one. The sales numbers are going to get trounced by Final Fantasy XIII, God Of War III, RE5 Gold, and I am willing to bet Resonance kicks Yakuza's ass in sales too.

I bet it drops fairly quickly. I want to give it a whirl, the reviews are all pretty high on it but all those games I mentioned are one I want to play more.

Yeah cause the thing is gamestop wouldnt take the $5 off cause they aren't aware of the Yakuza 3 having that preorder bonus. Its a YMMV problem too and Im just the unlucky ones.. other people didnt even get their codes lol.

[quote name='Azurken']Anybody have an ad to the $5 off deal? I went to my gamestop and they said they dont have it so I bought it at full price. He said to call later or bring an ad so we can confirm cause the website one might be an online only deal and not a store pickup.[/QUOTE]

B&M did not run the $5 off deal (only the free DLC) but it did work for me having shipped to store option when I pre-ordered it. After taxes it ended up costing the same as what it would've from Amazon though.

Picked mine up this morning and it looks like this one might suffer the same fate as the previous two. The manager told me I was the only one who pre-ordered the game at that store and they only had two copies come in for selling and neither had sold yet. :cry:

I still dont know why this is in demand. I tried the demo. Just dont see it. But that is just my opinion too I know. I am not really into games that are this Japanese I think.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I'll deff be getting this, just not at retail price. More like $25 or less.[/QUOTE]

I imagine it will drop in price fast. The only problem might be locating a copy since supply will prolly dry up in NA. This is the main reason I went ahead and paid the full retail, the other reason being I don't mind paying that much for a great game.

Eventually this thing will be one of those HTF titles. Like (ICO/Nocturne/JP:Operation Genesis).. and to some extent the first two Yakuzas' etc.

Grabbed a copy just a bit ago, don't think Sega will have a lot of copies of this due to past games in series being low sellers.

It is very dreamcast/shenmue-like gameplay and style-wise. If it came to the PS3(US) sooner this game could have brought Shenmue back from the grave.
I can live with the graphics but the gameplay is dated. I would get it if it was $10 cheaper.

to anyone who preorder over at gamestop b&m and didn't get the dlc,you can call up their customer service and explain the situation and get it, since the the gamestop i went to knew about the 5 dollars off but had no idea about the dlc

[quote name='illusion1441']to anyone who preorder over at gamestop b&m and didn't get the dlc,you can call up their customer service and explain the situation and get it, since the the gamestop i went to knew about the 5 dollars off but had no idea about the dlc[/QUOTE]

I read that the preorder dlc code came on the receipt when you purchased the game. Try checking there.

[quote name='Azurken']Anybody have an ad to the $5 off deal? I went to my gamestop and they said they dont have it so I bought it at full price. He said to call later or bring an ad so we can confirm cause the website one might be an online only deal and not a store pickup.[/QUOTE]

The promotion said that the $5 discount would be applied when the game was the pre order was picked up at store. When I picked up mine,they had no idea about $5 off and they didn't have the codes either and i only pre-ordered it to get the codes...I'm never going to do a pre-order again with GS. I'm probably just going to return it and order it off amazon since it is still only $55 there. And there isn't anything special on the receipt, either the initial pre-order deposit or the one I when I paid for the rest of it...just the standard web survey stuff

I wouldn't bank on the price dropping soon....It looks like SEGA didn't pump out too many copies and is taking a wait and see approach. For this type of game, a price drop isn't going to widen the the pool of potential buyers by much. On the plus side, when I picked it up, I asked if anyone else had pre-ordered it, and the manager said 4 people had...that's about 3 more than I had expected

ya wasn't on my receipt, i saw people on another forum talking about the receipt having the dlc code unfortunately the guy who was working only knew about the 5 dollars off and no idea about the dlc

EDIT: I fucking love Google. Cached page for all as proof: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...om+yakuza+3+gamestop&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

[quote name='K_G']The promotion said that the $5 discount would be applied when the game was the pre order was picked up at store. When I picked up mine,they had no idea about $5 off and they didn't have the codes either and i only pre-ordered it to get the codes[/QUOTE]

Hopefully I won't have that problem. I haven't picked mine up but those codes and the $5 off were the only reason I didn't order from Amazon. Originally the $5 off was online only but they changed it to B&M too.

Anyone have a cached version of the product page or a screen cap? I was just thinking the other day I should print it off just in case but I forgot :whistle2:(

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']Hopefully I won't have that problem. I haven't picked mine up but those codes and the $5 off were the only reason I didn't order from Amazon. Originally the $5 off was online only but they changed it to B&M too.

Anyone have a cached version of the product page or a screen cap? I was just thinking the other day I should print it off just in case but I forgot :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

If they dont give you 5 dollars off, dont buy it. You can order it from amazon for 54.99. Only problem would be you wouldn't get the gamestop preorder item(but i think that eventually is coming to psn anyway?) and if you dont have amazon prime, you would have to wait a while for it to ship using the free shipping.

[quote name='illusion1441']ya wasn't on my receipt, i saw people on another forum talking about the receipt having the dlc code unfortunately the guy who was working only knew about the 5 dollars off and no idea about the dlc[/QUOTE]

The DLC code is on a card inside the case (behind the manual)

bread's done
Back