YLoD, Play N' Trade, Trade in Deals...all in one?

uberChilders

CAG Veteran
Alright, so, today my PS3 got the Yellow Light of Death. It's the January 2007 60GB model, and it's been messing up lately so it was bound to happen. Anyway, I was wondering will Play N' Trade fix my PS3? If so, how much will it cost me?

While I was up there, I was also going to trade FEAR 2, Guitar Hero: World Tour (game only) and the EndWar Bundle with Official PS3 Headset. (The Target had a clearance on these games, and I jumped on them...none of them really interest me though...also I don't find myself online much so, yes, I'm also trading the headset.) Anyway, how much would I get for these games?

Thanks for your help, also, if this is in the wrong section please tell me, (or move it?). Thank you!

...call them and ask.

I will never understand why people post here and ask instead of picking up a phone and calling them.

^
So do I.
Surprisingly, one of my GS idiots said they had a policy requiring them to not provide info over the phone. I called another GS and they told me to hold on and I waited 10 minutes before I hung up... -_-
Sometimes, it's hard to get the prices...

To be honest, I really don't care about the trade in values of the games, I just wanted to know if Play N' Trade could fix my YLoD. And for how much, and basically are they reliable. I called, but they can only discuss prices in the store, and considering it's a very long drive I was just wondering if anyone had any info on Play N' Trade, because I don't wanna pay $150 and wait 3 weeks to get my PS3 fixed if I send it to Sony....

Don't let them "fix" your PS3.
Two reasons.
1) They can't and won't, but they will charge you.
2) Sony won't fix it at all, even if you try to pay them, if someone else has broken the seal and opened up your system.

Just call Sony.

Since Play N Trade stores are franchised and repairs aren't officially sanctioned by the company - pricing varies between every store on a case to case basis. Unfortunately, you will actually have to go to the store.

Alright, well I got to the store, and they said their mechanics were unable to fix my PS3 due to a number of reasons. Anyway, they said that I pretty much had to send it to Sony...

Sucks for you dude. Mine stopped reading discs and I had to bite the bullet on that insane repair charge.

Never heard of YLOD before now though, heh.

[quote name='Scorch']...call them and ask.

I will never understand why people post here and ask instead of picking up a phone and calling them.[/QUOTE]

I used to have the same thought you do Scorch but most game stores now (at least around STL and stories I see on CAG) refuse to do anything over the phone other than confirm prices, that a game is in stock and/or hold a copy for you for 24 hours. Most places are under strict orders to force people to come in the stores.

I understand if they're busy but a blanket policy like this is irritating for people who live in rural areas. When I was growing up and also in college it was a 30-minute drive one-way to any type of specialty store like a Gamestop. Being forced to drive to one and not having what you're looking for lead a LOT of parents into chewing out the employees.

When I was in college, only places to buy video games in Murray, KY was Wal-Mart and Sam Goody (which closed right after I graduated.) Other than that it was a 30-minute drive to Paducah, KY or 1 hour to Clarksville, TN for a Gamestop/Game Crazy. Also nobody did repairs for game consoles. The way to repair a console in Murray, KY back then was a Wal-Mart swap.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Sucks for you dude. Mine stopped reading discs and I had to bite the bullet on that insane repair charge.

Never heard of YLOD before now though, heh.[/QUOTE]

It's the No. 2 problem with 60GB PS3's right after the Blu-Ray drive failing.

bread's done
Back