YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

I'm at work now (Best Buy) and can confirm that every store in my district (Charlotte-Area) has received at least 7 and at most 16 to be held. My manager hasn't been told whether they are for Sunday or Monday yet, though

Update: they are being held for Monday

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at work now (Best Buy) and can confirm that every store in my district (Charlotte-Area) has received at least 7 and at most 16 to be held. My manager hasn't been told whether they are for Sunday or Monday yet, though

Just to make sure this is Charlotte NC? Sucks they're being held but at least it's good to know they're in my area.

Wonder how many Best Buy's will break protocol and sell early.

I think it could possibly end up more like the Amiibo issue where they went from impossible to get to too many on shelves. Ample supply will kill the resellers.

Do I have confidence that Nintendo will nail that? No. Honestly they should start a preorder campaign right after E3, take preorders for a solid month, and then place their first mfg run based solely on preorders plus 10-20% give or take. That way everyone who wants one can preorder it in that month at any partner retailer, and Nintendo gets a full 2-3 months to deliver the product by November.

Like thats one thing I don't get with this industry, stuff like Amiibo, Nes Classic, PSVR whatever it is can be guaged pretty smartly using good marketing and by enforcing a months long preorder campaign. Yeah preordering sucks but in instances like this you can almost perfectly match your supply to initial demand. You can manage inventory costs better, schedule mfg better. But its like the companies refuse to work like this with retailers, and instead hew to the old ways and trusting that buyers have a fucking clue on what they need to order.
This makes too much sense. Nintendo will never do it. :rofl:

I have a friend at BBY, if I want to ask them how to check if my local BBY had stock in or incoming, how would I best ask them to do that? 

I have a friend at BBY, if I want to ask them how to check if my local BBY had stock in or incoming, how would I best ask them to do that?
efron+shirtless+2.gif

Article went down. Were they not supposed to say anything?
Looks like the link just changed? It's still on Eurogamer.net...

Honestly, with how Nintendo handled the NES mini, I have 0 hopes of being able to get the SNES mini. IMO the SNES had the BEST library of Nintendo games (maybe, even the best library of any console) so every gamer is gonna want one... and for every gamer that wants one, there's gonna be 10 scalpers ready to buy one. And I'm sure Nintendo will make 1/100th of what the actual demand is.

Looks like the link just changed? It's still on Eurogamer.net...

Honestly, with how Nintendo handled the NES mini, I have 0 hopes of being able to get the SNES mini. IMO the SNES had the BEST library of Nintendo games (maybe, even the best library of any console) so every gamer is gonna want one... and for every gamer that wants one, there's gonna be 10 scalpers ready to buy one. And I'm sure Nintendo will make 1/100th of what the actual demand is.
Totally agree on all counts. I would have liked to get an NES Classic, and would be even more interested in an SNES Classic, but I have zero confidence that Nintendo could deliver.

Totally agree on all counts. I would have liked to get an NES Classic, and would be even more interested in an SNES Classic, but I have zero confidence that Nintendo could deliver.
I'm the first one to say "N" has no hopes in most things, but if this is actually made, I can see them going over board to the complete other end of the spectrum from the NES Mini, with an insane price, or some other off the wall addition, like making it function with their new online service, where you may be able to rent, or use different games in a month, etc.

So yeah, no matter what they come up with, I'm expecting "problems". What they are, and how bad they may be, I can't say, but I'm for sure looking forward to it for the entertainment value if nothing else. These Classic and NS threads have been the best.

Honestly, I'm going to remain a little skeptical over this report until Nintendo confirms it.  While there was ample talk of an SNES mini from moment the NES mini was announced, I thought any chance of a SNES mini were doomed as it became clear Nintendo had no idea how to handle the NES supply issue.  With the recent decision to discontinue it, I though the sheer negative ill will caused by the NES mini would have pushed Nintendo away from doing another one.  That, and well, a VC on the Switch seemed like just a better business proposition.  Why have something else out there that might steer a potential Switch buyer to a one-and-done toy?

It made sense.  Then again, it's Nintendo - so perhaps it made too much sense. If this is true, I'm frankly surprised.  The SNES mini is probably going to sell more units than the Switch.  Does Nintendo want to do that?  Does the device even make much money for them (once you consider the licensing royalties they would have to pay)?  

Or could this be the start of a tangible, connected virtual console?  Though then, again, what about the Switch?

While an SNES mini will certainly make money, it also looks like a desperate cash grab, and it also may take the spotlight away from the device Nintendo needs to get into as many players as possible as quickly as possible.  It's the only way, after all, 3rd parties are going to start making big announcements come E3 2018 (we all know this year will be mostly Nintendo with Mario Odyssey).  

But then again, this is Nintendo.  Why do I bother to keep trying to think anything the company does makes any sense?  

I thought any chance of a SNES mini were doomed as it became clear Nintendo had no idea how to handle the NES supply issue.
Why can't they act like any other company and adjust supply appropriately?

I though the sheer negative ill will caused by the NES mini would have pushed Nintendo away from doing another one.
All they have to do to about this is MAKE MORE. A lot more. Instead, they are doing the one thing that does generate ill will. Whether or not they produce more legacy systems doesn't even have to enter into the equation.

While an SNES mini will certainly make money, it also looks like a desperate cash grab
Why? They have a rich company history and they have already released one "commemorative" device. They will also be coming off a solid year of Switch sales - they will not be in nearly the losing situation they were immediately post-Wii U. It would be no different from any other company that releases nostalgia products.

The only thing that made the NES release look any type of odd was the way they handled it. There is no inherent disincentive to further Nintendo mini-consoles.. if they can get beyond their own incompetence.

The SNES mini is probably going to sell more units than the Switch.
If this is actually a concern, they need to make it a true limited edition for the holidays, with proper messaging and management. Announce it as such, make sure their fans know exactly when it will be available, and for God's sake run preorders like everyone with any common sense since 1995. Get a properly-budgeted production run directly into the hands of their core consumer during the biggest time of the year, and get out. This is how they get both the publicity boost and avoid the "ill will" at the same time.

They would also be training their fans to look for an annual special release. Everybody knows the N64 is next in line..

If this is actually a concern, they need to make it a true limited edition for the holidays, with proper messaging and management. Announce it as such, make sure their fans know exactly when it will be available, and for God's sake run preorders like everyone with any common sense since 1995. Get a properly-budgeted production run directly into the hands of their core consumer during the biggest time of the year, and get out. This is how they get both the publicity boost and avoid the "ill will" at the same time.

They would also be training their fans to look for an annual special release. Everybody knows the N64 is next in line..
Makes a lot of sense. Agree with you in every way.

That all said ... this is Nintendo. The only thing they've trained people to do is to scalp the living s&#@ out of their stuff. There is zero indication the company has any idea how to adequately supply products, and the same goes for pre-orders. I fully expect the company to screw up the Smash Bros. retailer exclusives.

Sure, Nintendo may make more SNES minis this time, but no way will there be enough to satisfy demand. In other words, it's going to be a disaster. We all know that. I think we always try to tell ourselves every time the Big N will get this right, but deep down - way down - we know that's just us being wishful.

We all know what will really happen.

Honestly, an SNES Classic for Fall/Winter release is probably the single dumbest thing Nintendo could do...they should be focusing on Switch sales. This would detract from that significantly...

I honestly think this "rumor" is just some bullshit made up by dummies on internet message boards. They are going to focus on two things. The Switch and the Switch.

Mini SNES or Switch XL...which of these will come true in the future? Both? Neither? Only one? So many rumors an speculation...
Ponbaly both but not a Switch XL, more likely a switch mini. I don't see why you want a larger switch. It's already pretty much at it's biggest. That will be a ways off though.

Ponbaly both but not a Switch XL, more likely a switch mini. I don't see why you want a larger switch. It's already pretty much at it's biggest. That will be a ways off though.
Yeah, I've seen several comments around the web asking for an XL switch, and I agree, this is as big as it will probably get(or needs to be). A mini or some smaller form factor has a better chance of happening, as an XL would push the price even higher than it already is, and they need to do everything possible to bring the price down, especially to appeal to their main demographic of younger kids.

what is significant about the 24th? why would they hold stock for monday and not sunday?
Holding something for Sunday means it is in the ad. They want this held for Monday because it is going on planogram which means it will have a spot in the Nintendo aisle. Going through all the trouble to rearrange the Nintendo aisle to include something that is going to sell out in 5 mins is pretty pointless but what do I know. :dunce:

Holding something for Sunday means it is in the ad. They want this held for Monday because it is going on planogram which means it will have a spot in the Nintendo aisle. Going through all the trouble to rearrange the Nintendo aisle to include something that is going to sell out in 5 mins is pretty pointless but what do I know. :dunce:
Used to work there for years including as a manager and this is totally the stupid shit they would do.

If that's the case, is this going to be a thing where they ticket the items out, or are we going to have to run like hell when they open the doors? Me and my buddy are planning on camping at our local Best Buy, really hoping for a smooth morning lol.

Well, I'm out.  Was going to try to get one for my daughter's uncle for his b-day next month, but some of us work m-f 9-5 jobs. At this point, saving them for monday morning is pretty much catering to the "professional" flippers.

17862277_1532008546841479_6728902571758996428_n.jpg

Or Before searching for NES classic          After searching for NES classic         

The scalpers are willing to clip those who want to get 1 of the 5 they have their eyes on.

The real question is will they limit it 1 per customer...I would hope so, anyways. Otherwise the first in line would probably take them all...

The planogram spot for the NES classic is going to be Store Pickup Accessories. Also known as the cart of random stuff by customer service when you go to pick up an online order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm out. Was going to try to get one for my daughter's uncle for his b-day next month, but some of us work m-f 9-5 jobs. At this point, saving them for monday morning is pretty much catering to the "professional" flippers.
Pro flippers be like: i didn't choose this life, it chose me lol

My Best Buy always puts items behind checkout and does a good job maintaining order. If you're there in time you'll be taken care of.

If that's the case, is this going to be a thing where they ticket the items out, or are we going to have to run like hell when they open the doors? Me and my buddy are planning on camping at our local Best Buy, really hoping for a smooth morning lol.
Depends on the store. I would call before going though as it sounds like a good amount of stores sold them immediately before they were told not to.

Depends on the store. I would call before going though as it sounds like a good amount of stores sold them immediately before they were told not to.
Think that'll be the best bet, don't know if they'll tell me for sure if they will have them Monday but I might call a couple best buys in my area tomorrow to see if they'll be available , wish there were another way to check

Mini SNES or Switch XL...which of these will come true in the future? Both? Neither? Only one? So many rumors an speculation...
They need a friggin Switch Pro, cause that thing sounds like the cheapest plasticy POS worthy of an AVGN video like Atari 5200. It breaks in a dozen different ways. You have to wrap it in Shamwows before putting it in the official docking station. It's own screen protectors scratch the damn screen.

Just went to Best Buy and they had a bunch of switches hanging from the ceiling. Apparently you had to ask an employee about them, then he sets up this ladder and races you up it. If you beat him to it, it's yours. We both got pretty heated so I suplexed his ass.

I now own a Nintendo Switch.

Just went to Best Buy and they had a bunch of switches hanging from the ceiling. Apparently you had to ask an employee about them, then he sets up this ladder and races you up it. If you beat him to it, it's yours. We both got pretty heated so I suplexed his ass.

eo3MA4l.gif

C31mcNJXUAEe1ti.jpg

Of course Best Buy tweets that they're holding them for Monday....I wish they would've contained the shit show but they gotta get people into their stores right

Nintendo doesn't want to make $5 a pop on these but they want to limit them enough so scalpers make $100+ on eBay? Collectors item my ass.

Best Buy is Smart with this ad. They know everybody and thre monther, grandmothet, etc eill be lining up for this. Flippers, scalpers have their work cut out. It'll be like a Walmart Black Friday retail opening everybody will be pushing and shoving. And if you don't get a NES Classic, you buy some other shit in the atore, maybe a Switch. Can't wait for youtube videos of someone getting pepper sprayed or something.

bread's done
Back