YMMV Sega Genesis Collection for PSP @Bestbuy $9.99

tuan717

CAG Veteran
First time poster...

If anyone is a genesis fan this is a really great collection. I saw them with the $9.99 sticker on the video game bin in front of the cash register along some other games. Was looking around for it in other stores/online sites and it's still at retail price ($29.99).

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Yeah, I'm wondering where those games are saved? Just into the main save/configuration file for the game maybe?

I was looking forward to Phantasy Star IV, but I've quit playing-at least for now. I was annoyed that it didn't show you how the equipment you were going to buy would affect your stats. I thought that would have been a standard feature by 1994, but I guess not (I really thought I would have remembered that!)

The bad thing about this game is now I expect to be able to save ANY game whenever I want. I keep reaching for the Select button, and am momentarily confused why it doesn't bring up that menu :D[/quote]
Well, if you just save via the in-game menu (without saving through the select menu), and then restart the game, I'm pretty sure you lose the save. I'm guessing that the in-game saves are saved in the select menu as part of the general game state, but I am not even close to a programmer, so I can't say for sure. But I wouldn't advise relying on the in-game saves for anything. You're bound to forget to save in the select menu, exit the game, come back to play later, and then kick yourself for losing hours of progress because you didn't save in the select menu.

That would be bad. :bomb:

I have sealed games for TRADE ONLY.
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (XBOX)
Tamagotchi: Conner Shop Connection (DS)
Castlevania: DOS (DS) Konami Best cover
Lumines (PSP)
Astonishia Story (PSP) Trade for Gunpey (PSP) Pending "Friend of Sonic"
The Warriors (PS2)

I looking for sealed game: Monster Hunters Freedom (PSP), Sega Genesis Collection (PSP) and Death Jr. 2 (PSP)

They had this at the West Madison, WI Best Buy today for $9.99.

For some crazy reason I didn't pick one up. I might run out there at lunch tomorrow and grab one or two for others.

[quote name='psunami']They had this at the West Madison, WI Best Buy today for $9.99.

For some crazy reason I didn't pick one up. I might run out there at lunch tomorrow and grab one or two for others.[/quote]

If you do, I'll take one :D

Found it at the Burbank, CA Best Buy. There are still 3-4 copies left. Might go back and get the rest if it's still there later this weekend for others who couldn't get them.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Well, if you just save via the in-game menu (without saving through the select menu), and then restart the game, I'm pretty sure you lose the save. I'm guessing that the in-game saves are saved in the select menu as part of the general game state, but I am not even close to a programmer, so I can't say for sure. But I wouldn't advise relying on the in-game saves for anything. You're bound to forget to save in the select menu, exit the game, come back to play later, and then kick yourself for losing hours of progress because you didn't save in the select menu.

That would be bad. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty when I tested it it saved out the contents when you ext the game. Like when you pull up the menu and select exit game, while loading the collection interface it also saves the save file state...and I guess it must be to the general Sega Genesis Collection save file, since it doesn't create a new file. They should really explain how that works in the description for the game, because if you just "save" within the game and then turn off the system or quit the entire game, you'd lose the save unless you exit to the SGCollection menu first.

[quote name='karkyco']No fucking way. Were there more copies?!?[/quote]

Unfortunately there are no more, I took the last one that Justin hid behind Pac Man Rally yesterday. Someone said there are more copies in the Burbank one.

[quote name='mrhappi79']I just got from the store and purchased the copy you hid behind Pacman Rally...it was still there!!! Thanks. Didn't look like there were anymore copies left though.[/quote]

fuck me!!! Oh well...

[quote name='psunami']They had this at the West Madison, WI Best Buy today for $9.99.

For some crazy reason I didn't pick one up. I might run out there at lunch tomorrow and grab one or two for others.[/QUOTE]

I picked up one of the two left during lunch. I left the remaining one for you.

I have the PS2 version of this game and thought about buying the PSP version quite a few times (for $29.99). I'm glad I waited. Now if only Capcom Puzzle World would go down to $10.

Just curious, but aside from the obvious ethical issues are there any advantages to playing the games on this collection as opposed to in emulation on a capable PSP?

[quote name='icruise']Just curious, but aside from the obvious ethical issues are there any advantages to playing the games on this collection as opposed to in emulation on a capable PSP?[/quote]

Can you save in the middle of a game when running the games on an emulator? If not I'd say that's a big advantage of the collection.

[quote name='benjamouth']Can you save in the middle of a game when running the games on an emulator?[/QUOTE]
Yes you can.

[quote name='icruise']Yes you can.[/quote]

Well, then, there are some interviews with the game designers and trivia about the games.

But it's definitely worth even the full $30 to me (even ethical issues aside), just because the games all run hassle-free. No need to screw around with the PSP firmware. There are also a few unlockable games (easily unlockable) that might not be easily available online. But, knowing how big the emulator community is, they probably are.

At least 10 copies at the East Madison, WI Best Buy today.

I picked up 2 copies. (1 for myself and the other for TheOne06)

Thanks for leaving a copy for me at the West store though heybtbm

[quote name='psunami']At least 10 copies at the East Madison, WI Best Buy today.

I picked up 2 copies. (1 for myself and the other for TheOne06)

Thanks for leaving a copy for me at the West store though heybtbm[/quote]

Thank You Thank You :bouncy:

Not a game but I thought I'd drop this in this thread since it is about Best Buy and PSP stuff.

$5 for a Datel PSP Powerdock at my BB (Federal Way, WA). The usual price is $15. They had I think 3 left if anyone cares.

I couldn't resist it for $5.

[quote name='speedy05']if anyone wants the Sega Genesis Collection [PSP] I would trade it for Monster Hunter [PSP], just PM me.[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol:

Well If any CAGS are in Southeastern MichiGONE,

BB LAKESIDE - 0
BB ROCHESTER -0

And In Southfield BB - 0

The game kept showing up as deleted on inventory searches.

There were still two left at the Best Buy on Howe Ave. in Akron, Ohio. I bought my copy at the Canton location though (no more left or Gunpey either... I bought that as well). But if anyone wanted to drive the extra 20 minutes from the canton area, they can still get one. I hid one behind some of the other PSP clearance games just in case anyone wants to get it. There were also two or three copies of Gunpey left. I'd pick them up for someone, but I won't be up there again for a while...so I can't help out now... Sorry. Anyways, hope someone in the North/mid Ohio area finds this helpful.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Well If any CAGS are in Southeastern MichiGONE,

BB LAKESIDE - 0
BB ROCHESTER -0

And In Southfield BB - 0

The game kept showing up as deleted on inventory searches.[/quote]

Thanks a lot man. Now I can sleep in. (local BB have been cleaned out of a lot of potential budget games anyway)

I guess my next best hope is the interweb...

[quote name='icruise']Is Gunpey on clearance or something?[/quote]

It's $9.99 if you can find it with the frontlane games.

I'd trade someone my copy of the DS version of Gunpey for the PSP version. (I'm trying to standardize on the PSP where possible.)

Oh man, I gotta swing by my Best Buy to look for this. I've been jonesing this game for ages but haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. Thanks for the heads-up, OP!

[quote name='PleasantOne']how is PSP Gunpey versus DS Gunpey? Anyone?
[/QUOTE]
Supposedly the DS has better controls with the stylus and the PSP version has better graphics (you can usually say this about just about any game, really). As I mentioned above, I have the DS version and will trade it for the PSP version if anyone wants to, just because I'm trying to standardize on the PSP whenever possible, so I don't have to carry more than one system.

[quote name='icruise']Supposedly the DS has better controls with the stylus and the PSP version has better graphics (you can usually say this about just about any game, really). As I mentioned above, I have the DS version and will trade it for the PSP version if anyone wants to, just because I'm trying to standardize on the PSP whenever possible, so I don't have to carry more than one system.[/quote]

I have the DS version and I would not recommend it.

It's rare that I find a game whose aesthetics I absolutely hate, but Gunpey is -- to me -- ugly both visually and audially.

It's like someone took the styles of Meteos and the hyper-exaggeration and over-the-top sugaryness of Puyo Pop Fever and then painted them over with hideous color combinations. It makes my eyes hurt.

I love Meteos. I like Puyo Pop. But it's like someone took the both of them and covered them in vomit. Strange, nonsensical drawings and ugly animations that are far more distracting than they are charming. I've actually stopped playing, squinting at something on the screen saying to myself "What the hell is that? What is that supposed to be? God, that's ugly."

Apart from that, stylus control is okay. It is both good and bad in equal measure -- good that you can point and drag, but bad in that once you slide a line near another line, what you end up with will almost certainly not be what you intended.

I have yet to "connect" with this game. The audio and visuals are so far not helping me get into it.

I have to agree, Meteos is one of my favorite DS games and I was excited for Gunpey, but I just can't click with it at all. Thankfully I got it for sorta cheap from a Target clearance (like $13).

Of course, I am such a CAG that I get really tempted to try the PSP version just in case I'm missing something... ;)

[quote name='blandstalker']It's rare that I find a game whose aesthetics I absolutely hate, but Gunpey is -- to me -- ugly both visually and audially.\I have yet to "connect" with this game. The audio and visuals are so far not helping me get into it.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'd have to agree. I don't hate the game, but there wasn't a lot there that compelled me to keep playing it. I was hoping that it just hadn't "clicked" yet. Sometimes you have to play for a while before you really get into something.

[quote name='toneroni']is the sega genesis collection better than the original games run on an emulator for the PSP?[/QUOTE]
See earlier in the thread. (Although the short answer is no.)

Someone? Anyone? Please?
[quote name='Heavy Hitter']If someone can get an extra Sega Collection for PSP at $9.99, I'd gladly pay shipping. If anyone can hook me up, PM me.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the PSP version of Gunpey at BB today, and WOW what a difference from the DS version. It's like they're two totally different games, only sharing the same core gameplay mechanic. The PSP version is very reminiscent of Lumines. The skins and techno music are very very similar. The DS version has very weirdly decorated levels with bizarre characters, and the music and graphics can't be compared to the PSp version. The games even have different modes and features (I thought the PSP's double map mode, where you have to play two maps simultaneously (switching back and forth with the shoulder buttons) was particularly interesting.

I can't help but think that the DS version was made with younger players in mind, while the PSP version was geared more toward the older player. While the DS version's stylus controls do make it a little bit easier to control, I prefer everything else about the PSP version. When I played it for the first time, I said "aha, so this is what the game is supposed to be like" and I finally understood the appeal of it. The DS version just seems boring for some reason. Anyway, even if you hated the DS version, I'd give the PSP version a try.

My only complaint is that you have to go into the "Options" menu and manually save your data -- it doesn't auto-save, which is dumb.

If any CAGS in Lower southeastern michigone are looking..heres an update:

Inventory searches now are not showing the game NOT in stores as far north as Saginaw / Bay City and East Of Novi /275. and south beyond downriver area. Wow.

bread's done
Back