Yoshi's Island 2 - 82%

[quote name='Roufuss']The fact that it's challenging puts it in a league far far above NSMB for me.

I finished NSMB with 100% in two days of semi casual play, I'm pretty certain that won't happen with Yoshi's Island 2.[/QUOTE]

Well, that is just insane. If game companies start making games harder just to satisfy you then I'm out :D. I finally finished NSMB - I mean the main boss, after months of on and off play. I haven't gotten anywhere near 100% yet - some of the coins seem impossible to me.

NOT looking forward to the 15x or more attempt parts of Yoshi's Island DS.

But I'm pissed about the Wii component cables, so maybe I'll ignore the Wii until mid-Dec and concentrate on beating this instead (can't play Zelda till I get the cables anyway).

[quote name='io']Well, that is just insane. If game companies start making games harder just to satisfy you then I'm out :D. I finally finished NSMB - I mean the main boss, after months of on and off play. I haven't gotten anywhere near 100% yet - some of the coins seem impossible to me.
.[/QUOTE]

Well, my girlfriend at the time who isn't even a gamer except for the rare Nintendo title breezed through NSMB in about 4 or 5 days as well, so I know it's not just that I'm some super hardcore challenge freak.

Have you ever played the original Yoshi's Island? That was full of challenge too, but it's like the guy in EGM said about Yoshi's Island 2, when you make a mistake it's your fault, and not the games.

One of these days I'd like to do a study and see if gamers raised on NES / SNES are just inherently better at games than those raised on games recently, because the difficulty curve in games has definitely gone down in "mainstream" titles.

[quote name='Roufuss']Well, my girlfriend at the time who isn't even a gamer except for the rare Nintendo title breezed through NSMB in about 4 or 5 days as well, so I know it's not just that I'm some super hardcore challenge freak.

Have you ever played the original Yoshi's Island? That was full of challenge too, but it's like the guy in EGM said about Yoshi's Island 2, when you make a mistake it's your fault, and not the games.

One of these days I'd like to do a study and see if gamers raised on NES / SNES are just inherently better at games than those raised on games recently, because the difficulty curve in games has definitely gone down in "mainstream" titles.[/QUOTE]

I was raised on Atari and Colecovision games, thank you very much :D.

I have not played the original Yoshi's Island, though upon hearing everyone here rave about it I did pick up the GBA version when it was $10 new at a local store. I had intended to play it before the DS version came out, but so many games, so little time...

And to be honest, I didn't put THAT much time into NSMB - just little spurts here and there over a long period of time. I didn't find it that hard to get through the main levels (and I unlocked the 2 extra worlds too) though I had to play a few of the castle boss fights several times.

We'll see how it goes with Yoshi's Island DS. I might actually play this as soon as I get it just to see how well I can do compared to the rest of you. I'm thinking the opposite of you - that it is you young folk who are better at these games BECAUSE you grew up with Nintendo.

I got a NES in college when I was laid up with a knee operation and that was my first exposure to Mario Bros. I didn't like it because of the instant death and no ability to save - I moved on to computer gaming until I came back to consoles with the Gamecube and then PS2. I just figured I had outgrown the arcadey die-easily games that I was also used to from Atari/Colecovision and wanted to get into stuff with more depth. Thus I'm not a big fan of NES games.

[quote name='io']I was raised on Atari and Colecovision games, thank you very much :D.

I have not played the original Yoshi's Island, though upon hearing everyone here rave about it I did pick up the GBA version when it was $10 new at a local store. I had intended to play it before the DS version came out, but so many games, so little time...

And to be honest, I didn't put THAT much time into NSMB - just little spurts here and there over a long period of time. I didn't find it that hard to get through the main levels (and I unlocked the 2 extra worlds too) though I had to play a few of the castle boss fights several times.

We'll see how it goes with Yoshi's Island DS. I might actually play this as soon as I get it just to see how well I can do compared to the rest of you. I'm thinking the opposite of you - that it is you young folk who are better at these games BECAUSE you grew up with Nintendo.

I got a NES in college when I was laid up with a knee operation and that was my first exposure to Mario Bros. I didn't like it because of the instant death and no ability to save - I moved on to computer gaming until I came back to consoles with the Gamecube and then PS2. I just figured I had outgrown the arcadey die-easily games that I was also used to from Atari/Colecovision and wanted to get into stuff with more depth. Thus I'm not a big fan of NES games.[/QUOTE]

Ah, see, NES games had difficulty that far outweighed anything the Atari could throw at you ;) I mean, I was raised on some of the impossible stuff, like Wizards and Warriors, Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy, games that didn't give you any sort of break. Back then, Kirby was as easy as we got, and Kirby still had a little bit of challenge to it.

The only reason I'm glad Yoshi's Island 2 is difficult is because the original is just so well done, and when we got a sort of sequel on the N64 (Yoshi's Story) it was just so drastically easy since it was aimed at kids. I was hoping Artoon wouldn't "dumb down" Yoshi again since this one has big huge shoes to fill, since it's a direct sequel and not a sort of spin-off.

I knew this game was coming eventually as Yoshi's Touch and Go seemed to have been the test drive, and that game was difficult in it's own right.

I mean, a game can still be fun if it's easy, look at Super Princess Peach, it had ton of replayability in the collectibles and all the stuff that happens once you beat the game. NSMB, at least to me, wasn't just easy, it was also short, and the only thing to go back for were coins.

You should have fun with Yoshi's Island 2... I think the challenge will do you good ;) I've seen you play some hard as hell RPG games like DQ 8 so I know you of all people should be able to handle a challenging platformer :D

I'll never understand the need for someone to go on and on about great they are at some game, and how a game is awful if the difficulty isn't high enough, blah, blah. Look, everyone is different, and each game developer does the best they can to generally appeal to a variety of folk.

And it's also possible that some people just simply don't have the time it takes to play a game over and over again until the skills you need take hold.

And please don't tell us older people that Nintendo is oh so tough and the older games aren't. Just go find yourself an old Stargate machine if you want tough. It should give you a run for your quarters.

-HM

[quote name='Roufuss']Ah, see, NES games had difficulty that far outweighed anything the Atari could throw at you ;) I mean, I was raised on some of the impossible stuff, like Wizards and Warriors, Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy, games that didn't give you any sort of break. Back then, Kirby was as easy as we got, and Kirby still had a little bit of challenge to it.

The only reason I'm glad Yoshi's Island 2 is difficult is because the original is just so well done, and when we got a sort of sequel on the N64 (Yoshi's Story) it was just so drastically easy since it was aimed at kids. I was hoping Artoon wouldn't "dumb down" Yoshi again since this one has big huge shoes to fill, since it's a direct sequel and not a sort of spin-off.

I knew this game was coming eventually as Yoshi's Touch and Go seemed to have been the test drive, and that game was difficult in it's own right.

I mean, a game can still be fun if it's easy, look at Super Princess Peach, it had ton of replayability in the collectibles and all the stuff that happens once you beat the game. NSMB, at least to me, wasn't just easy, it was also short, and the only thing to go back for were coins.

You should have fun with Yoshi's Island 2... I think the challenge will do you good ;) I've seen you play some hard as hell RPG games like DQ 8 so I know you of all people should be able to handle a challenging platformer :D[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, NES kids 4 life. I don't think it was until this last generation (with Viewtiful Joe, and then Ninja Gaiden) that I'd had as much of a challenge as those days. Mmm, good times.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I'll never understand the need for someone to go on and on about great they are at some game, and how a game is awful if the difficulty isn't high enough, blah, blah. Look, everyone is different, and each game developer does the best they can to generally appeal to a variety of folk.

And it's also possible that some people just simply don't have the time it takes to play a game over and over again until the skills you need take hold.

And please don't tell us older people that Nintendo is oh so tough and the older games aren't. Just go find yourself an old Stargate machine if you want tough. It should give you a run for your quarters.

-HM[/QUOTE]

I don't think Roufuss was beating his chest about how good he was, I htink he was just proud of coming from more difficult times, and I completely agree with him. However, I'll agree with you, people that think every game should be fucking hard or isn't worth their time are just stupid. There's plenty of room for all sorts...though I think some games (in particular, I was really bothered by it in Wind Waker) are a little TOO easy for the type of game they are. I'm not saying make it NES hard, but why should I feel scared about dying if I know it'll NEVER happen?

EDIT: for the record...Io, you should drop whatever games you're playing and play through Yoshi's Island PRONTO. One of the greatest games of all time.

[quote name='Roufuss']
You should have fun with Yoshi's Island 2... I think the challenge will do you good ;) I've seen you play some hard as hell RPG games like DQ 8 so I know you of all people should be able to handle a challenging platformer :D[/QUOTE]

Ah, but see, I find RPG's and strategy games (DQ 8, AW: DS, Fire Emblem, etc) fairly easy - especially turn-based ones where I have time to think and strategerize. I'm not the best at twitchy action games and platformers that require lightning-fast reflexes :D.

Anyway, I'm off to play Kingdom Hearts 2 with the kids, which I am finding much easier than Kingdom Hearts 1 (which I almost gave up on with the Riku boss fight - glad I worked through it as it was easy after that). Thank god they implemented skippable cut scenes in KH 2 - that alone is a 1000x improvement :D.

This game is amazingly fun... the only thing I don't really like are the sound effects and the music, they just don't have the charm of the first one, but the gameplay itself is really solid.

[quote name='io']Ah, but see, I find RPG's and strategy games (DQ 8, AW: DS, Fire Emblem, etc) fairly easy - especially turn-based ones where I have time to think and strategerize. I'm not the best at twitchy action games and platformers that require lightning-fast reflexes :D.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, see, this is where we differ, these days I'm more into the action games and the platformers and I'm finding most RPG's boring and too long ;)

I could never do the 80 or so hours of DQ 8 you did! Hell, I put 20 hours into FFXII and I'm ready to move on :lol:

I don't think Roufuss was beating his chest about how good he was, I htink he was just proud of coming from more difficult times, and I completely agree with him. However, I'll agree with you, people that think every game should be ing hard or isn't worth their time are just stupid. There's plenty of room for all sorts...though I think some games (in particular, I was really bothered by it in Wind Waker) are a little TOO easy for the type of game they are. I'm not saying make it NES hard, but why should I feel scared about dying if I know it'll NEVER happen?

This is exactly what I meant. I was basacially saying that when me and Blind were kids nobody dumbed down games for us, why do companies like Nintendo feel the need to do it for kids now? Nintendo was just happy giving us hard as hell games when I was young. It's just in certain franchises that have set a precedent I expect that precedent to still be there. Look at Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls for the GBA... the NES one was hard as hell and kids everywhere played it, yet Square thought the GBA one apparently had to be made alot easier because it was on a "kids" handheld? I still liked the GBA version but slashing the difficulty from the original made the game alot worse, imo.

Like I said earlier, I loved Super Princess Peach even though it was an "easy" game, but namely because there was no precedent and it's a new IP.... it's right in tune with Blind's Zelda comment. I mean, Retro really nailed it with Metroid Prime 1 + 2, the difficulty of the older games was still there, but it's done in a good way.

I'm not saying "Kids who grew up on the NES are so much better", sorry if it came across like that, I'm just saying "What is so different about 20 years ago and now that things have to be made so much easier?". I mean, hell, Nintendo even made SMB 3 (or was it SMW?) for the GBA easier than the SNES version.

I mean, what got me started on all of this was that EGM review where he is like "think of the children!!"... my question is, why do kids need to be spoon fed an easy game, and have some challenge for once? Has gaming really dropped that far in 20 years, where any game with an inkling of challenge is blasted?

I realized after I wrote I may have come off a bit harsh. I'm just venting my frustration on some posts I've seen in places where people complain that games now are way too easy, and how they've just 0wnz0r3d this game and that game. Yay for those people - thanks for bragging!

I really can't speak for the console stuff, because I'm a PC gamer mainly (I picked up a DS Lite because my girlfriend got me into it, and it's a great way to play a bit of something, no matter where I am). There are still a number of PC games that can be tough. But ever since writeable media came out, games have been made easier because you can save your progress. And PC gamers are very accustomed to it now, so you simply won't find an action games these days without it.

I, like a lot of you, feel a great sense of accomplishment when I keep screwing something up, but finally am able to beat it. After all, I come from the days when you put a quarter in an arcade game, and the first level was easy, then the second was impossibly hard, and there was no continue function (Sinistar, Defender, Robotron 2084, and the aforementioned Stargate fall in this category [although Robotron's first few levels aren't so bad]). But all of these games are beatable if you put time into it, and there are many champions of these games that prove it. But they are the exception - those games take work.

So there are times when it simply doesn't become fun anymore to beat your head against a game, so I'm very greatful for save game features. After all, no one is forcing someone to use it.

AnyWAY...

I got Yoshi's Island DS tonight and it seems pretty good. I miss the music (especially the music when you choose a new level) and feel of the original though. Something about the controls of this one seem a bit off, but I'll probably get used to it with time. I do recommend the original, but be warned it can be tough at times (if only you could save your game anywhere, heh).

-HM

It's sad that my 12 year old self could kick my 22 year old self in most games these days. Ah well.

I find myself proceding a lot slower this time through YI 2 then I did with the original. I think that the addition of multiple characters is well implemented, but it has really slowed the game down to a very sluggish pace. Granted I'm not racing through the levels like I did with the original, but the scope of this YI 2's levels seem to be much larger.

Also, I've got like 90 lives right now through World 1 (without playing the card game mind you). There will never ever be a chance of me getting a game over.

[quote name='furyk']It's sad that my 12 year old self could kick my 22 year old self in most games these days. Ah well.

I find myself proceding a lot slower this time through YI 2 then I did with the original. I think that the addition of multiple characters is well implemented, but it has really slowed the game down to a very sluggish pace. Granted I'm not racing through the levels like I did with the original, but the scope of this YI 2's levels seem to be much larger.

Also, I've got like 90 lives right now through World 1 (without playing the card game mind you). There will never ever be a chance of me getting a game over.[/QUOTE]

Yea, IGN I think it was mentioned that Nintendo went crazy on the lives, but that you'll need them for the later levels.

I only played Level 1-1 but you're right, the levels do seem alot larger.

Forgive me for not getting deeper in the debate, for I am unnaturally tired right now, but I do agree that the difficulty in Yoshi's Island is well welcomed, and while I did have slight trouble with NSMB, it was much simpler then this game.

And I definitely agree on the life thing, I have so many its ridiculous.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember the original YI gave a ton of lives as well. I don't mind them giving me tons of lives because I know I'm going to use them all eventually ;)

Did anyone notice Baby Luigi got the shaft again? Everyone is playable except him.

This game:

+points for not screwing too much with the formula
+ points for being purty
+points for being fun

-points for not having inventory
-points for the sound. What the fuck Artoon? Why do so well on the everything and then just dick us on the sound/music?

Reality's Fringe;2376619 said:
This game:

+points for not screwing too much with the formula
+ points for being purty
+points for being fun

-points for not having inventory
-points for the sound. What the fuck Artoon? Why do so well on the everything and then just dick us on the sound/music?

I noticed the no inventory either, but to be honest, it makes the game a little bit more challenging. In Yoshi's Island, as long as I had a star + 20 it never mattered if I got hit or not because I'd always be able to have 30 stars. Now, you actually have to be careful going through the levels... I like the change a little better. Plus, I never used the other inventory items that much.

But yea, the sound is pretty bad, I don't mind the music but why take out all the original sound effects? And replace them with some shitty new ones.

[quote name='Roufuss']
But yea, the sound is pretty bad, I don't mind the music but why take out all the original sound effects? And replace them with some shitty new ones.[/QUOTE]

See, I'm going to play this first, and then go back and play Yoshi's Island. Then I can come back on here and complain that the older game has crappy sound that doesn't match the new game :D. Or maybe not. I'm still dealing with the twin blows of no Wii component cables till mid-Dec and of the PS3 (which was to be my eventual HD gaming choice) not really being an HD gaming system (for my HDTV and many others that is - see the appropriate thread in the PS3 forum if you're curious ;)).

I gotta agree with everyone else on the sound. I'm not quite sure what all the reviews are thinking, because they all say it's great. Yes, it has a lot of the same stuff, but some are just plain missing. Where's a cool sound as Yoshi with DK climbs vines (a la DK Jr)? Where's the little transition sound when Yoshi goes offscreen in the middle of a level? Why is the music as you pick a new level so damned lame? For that matter, why is all the music so understated and bland that I can't remember any of it?

-HM

[quote name='Roufuss']One of these days I'd like to do a study and see if gamers raised on NES / SNES are just inherently better at games than those raised on games recently, because the difficulty curve in games has definitely gone down in "mainstream" titles.[/quote]

I bet this is true except for maybe FPS games - I suck at deathmatch and FPS gamers in general but I will kick anyone's ass at any 2D platformer. The original is hands down the best ever in that genre. Getting 100 with no help at all from anyone on every level is tough.

I think I saw this game on sale for $24 at either CC or Target. I might have to take a trip at lunch today...

Bah, gaming prowess has nothing to do with what games one was raised on, per se. Assuming one likes gaming and has a knack for it, it has to do with what games one plays often, regularly, and strives beat. If I gave up all my other games and concentrated on 2D platformers, I'd be outstanding at them.

javeryh, I'm sure if you committed serious time to FPS games you'd probably excel at those too. All it takes is dedication and fierce amounts of practice.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Bah, gaming prowess has nothing to do with what games one was raised on, per se. Assuming one likes gaming and has a knack for it, it has to do with what games one plays often, regularly, and strives beat. If I gave up all my other games and concentrated on 2D platformers, I'd be outstanding at them.

javeryh, I'm sure if you committed serious time to FPS games you'd probably excel at those too. All it takes is dedication and fierce amounts of practice.

-HM[/quote]

That's probably true. I don't love FPS games - I like them but every game seems the same to me with different graphics.

And I'm sure there are FPS gamers who say that 2D platformers are all the same but with different graphics. :)

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']And I'm sure there are FPS gamers who say that 2D platformers are all the same but with different graphics. :)

-HM[/quote]

Heh, also true - and a sure sign I'm getting OLD. :D

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Now if Nintendo can get Super Mario RPG 2, we'll have "Most Wanted Nintendo Sequel Other Than Yoshi Island 2" done.[/quote]
but that sequel better be really really good and not a piece of crap (if they did do it which is highly unlikely)

oh by the way i was super unimpressed with the music/sound of this game

the music was too bleh..

what happy to the catchy nintendo themed music? and they totally fucked us over with the dungeon music i loved the whole dungeon themed music in the first game it made dungeons more fun IMO

I decided not to buy this actually in favor of Elite Beat Agents. I loved the first Yoshi's Island, but I'm not a fan of garbage developers...too bad this one wasn't done in house.

Elite Beat Agents wasn't either as far as I can tell (Inis?) but at least its not trying to screw up the sequel to a masterpiece of a game...also...its a frickin blast.

Glad I went for it over this, but hope everyone enjoys this one who got it.

[quote name='Hollow Man']And I'm sure there are FPS gamers who say that 2D platformers are all the same but with different graphics. :)

-HM[/QUOTE]

I don't particularly like FPS's OR 2D platformers :razz:.

Right now I have both Yoshi's Island (GBA) and Yoshi's Island DS sealed in my closet. I'll play 'em some time. Right now my DS time is going to FF III.

Well I'm currently doing mostly Animal Crossing on my DS, and intermittently I throw in Yoshi DS, Mario Kart, and Rocket Slime. Bleh, I really need to play more Contact, and I'll be getting the new Castlevania as well. I'm playing original Yoshi on my Micro, and mostly Guild Wars on my PC.

This barely skims the surface of all the games I need to be playing. Thankfully I expect no great PC FPS games will be out in the next few months (waiting for Quake Wars, Crysis, and if it's still any good, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.), so maybe I'll buckle down and finish F.E.A.R.

-HM

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I decided not to buy this actually in favor of Elite Beat Agents. I loved the first Yoshi's Island, but I'm not a fan of garbage developers...too bad this one wasn't done in house.

Elite Beat Agents wasn't either as far as I can tell (Inis?) but at least its not trying to screw up the sequel to a masterpiece of a game...also...its a frickin blast.

Glad I went for it over this, but hope everyone enjoys this one who got it.[/QUOTE]

Huh..? Artoon didn't screw up Yoshi's Island 2 at all. Sure, they didn't get the sound and the music 100% straight but the gameplay is spot on classic Yoshi's Island gameplay.

If this game was done in house Nintendo probably would have just fucked it up... maybe they should start farming out all their properties.

I mean, "trying to screw up the sequel to a masterpiece of a game"?? Every review actually TOOK OFF points BECAUSE IT WAS TOO SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL!! If by screwing up you mean "they pretty much copied Yoshi's Island and added in a new feature which enhances the game" then yea, I guess they did screw up. If Nintendo did this in house they would have added some bullshit stylus crap which wasn't needed.

Just kind of weird to bash the game based on the developer without ever trying the game out, espically when reviews were generally pretty positive.

How does this compare to the New Super Mario Brothers. I enjoyed that but I never played the original Yoshi's Island. Reveiws seem pretty good but is it worth trying with so many new games out for the holidays?

I'm halfway through world 3 and starting to love it. The game started off slow, but the level design is starting to get more creative, and the game's actually somewhat challenging now. It's not perfect (music sucks hard, gap between screens is annoying), but it's a worthy sequel.

I'm midway through world 2 and the music doesn't annoy me as of yet.

Loving it. fucking loving it. I played the original for a little while last night, and I do think they are kinda-sorta the same game (at least for now), but beautifully executed on the DS.

I wanna hear why someone would NOT like this one. Unless you must have a protagonist that looks like that guy from The Crow. Then it definitely fails there.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I wanna hear why someone would NOT like this one. [/quote]

The "problem" with it is that it's more or less the exact same game as the original, but it falls short in areas that were executed better on the original. One is the music. It is fine, but the original's was very memorable. There are a number of areas where sound effects have been removed, which irritates me.

Finally, I find the whole idea of using the two screens as one big screen awful. The idea in theory is great, and it would be great if the DS's screens were right next to each other. But since they're not, and they designed the game with the intention that it behaves as one big screen, your eye always tends to be looking right at the center - at the DS's hinge.

So to compensate for this I'm always trying to see what's behind the hinge, so I'm constantly hitting the appropriate buttons to move the screens up and down.

That's the biggest problem with the game. I give them points for trying to do something cool with the two screens, but they get a C on the delivery.

-HM

I picked it up for $24 at Target last night and played through the first world.

I love it so far, some creative use of the baby swapping already (even with just having Mario and Peach to start out), so if it gets better as it seems it does from other comments, I'd say the reviews that have it in the 8-9 range are more spot on compared to the lower reviews (i.e. the 6 or 6.5 scores in EGM).

[quote name='Hollow Man']
So to compensate for this I'm always trying to see what's behind the hinge, so I'm constantly hitting the appropriate buttons to move the screens up and down.
[/quote]

Wise thought, since that's where most of the hidden loot is at.

Alright, I'm seriously stuck on the block-switching part of 4-3. I CAN'T figure out how the hell to get up to the top right. I can get to the part with the two switching blocks, but from there, I don't know how the hell to make a jump up to the left to hit a block then back to the right...nevermind

anyways, HELP!

I'll be perfectly honest. Yoshi's Island may be my favorite Mario game ever, after Super Mario Bros. 3. I never bought it for GBA (just stuck to the SNES version). After hearing this sequel, I was initially excited. However, my interest level declined sharply for two reasons (before release): being developed by Artoon (I liked the first Blinx, but didn't like any of their other games), and being disappointed in too many Mario games as of late (I disliked Super Mario Sunshine and didn't like NSMB much). But after reading some reviews and watching videos, my interest level sky rocketed, since it reminded me of how much I loved Yoshi's Island. I ended up getting the game at Target, on sale this week, but I can't open it until Christmas. I'm really curious to see what I'll think of the game. I could really use a 2D platformer on my DS (outside of Sonic Rush) and I love Yoshi's Island for SNES, so this should fit well. I was going to get this or Kirby Squeak Squad, but chose this.

Oh well, we'll see. Can't wait to play. :D

Not to bump up a dead thread or anything, but anyone else get this for Christmas?

I just got it last night and have played a bit, through 2-4. Enjoying it a lot. It's been a year or two since I played the original YI, but this seems to capture everything that was charming about the first one. It feels more like an expansion pack than a full-fledged sequel, but since the original game is more than 10 years old, I'll let it slide. ;)

How does the challenge get toward the end? I loved how the SNES game just got really hard at the end.

[quote name='daroga']Not to bump up a dead thread or anything, but anyone else get this for Christmas?

I just got it last night and have played a bit, through 2-4. Enjoying it a lot. It's been a year or two since I played the original YI, but this seems to capture everything that was charming about the first one. It feels more like an expansion pack than a full-fledged sequel, but since the original game is more than 10 years old, I'll let it slide. ;)

How does the challenge get toward the end? I loved how the SNES game just got really hard at the end.[/quote] I also got this for Christmas. I'm really liking it, I think the difficulty is a good thing not a bad thing like many people say. I also like getting 100% in my games so this game is good for that.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the game. The level design is pretty bland, and a lot of the challenge comes from the dead zone, or having to make blind leaps when you can't get the screen to scroll down or right etc.

I don't mind hard games, but I like them to be genuinely hard, not cheaply hard like that do to poor design.

Game is in the 6.5-7.0 range for me now, with me being half way through the 5th and final world.

Pretty dissapointing since the original is one of my all time favorites. :(

[quote name='Roufuss']Huh..? Artoon didn't screw up Yoshi's Island 2 at all. Sure, they didn't get the sound and the music 100% straight but the gameplay is spot on classic Yoshi's Island gameplay.

If this game was done in house Nintendo probably would have just fucked it up... maybe they should start farming out all their properties.

I mean, "trying to screw up the sequel to a masterpiece of a game"?? Every review actually TOOK OFF points BECAUSE IT WAS TOO SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL!! If by screwing up you mean "they pretty much copied Yoshi's Island and added in a new feature which enhances the game" then yea, I guess they did screw up. If Nintendo did this in house they would have added some bullshit stylus crap which wasn't needed.

Just kind of weird to bash the game based on the developer without ever trying the game out, espically when reviews were generally pretty positive.[/QUOTE]QFT X 1000.;)

I got the game for Christmas, and I won't deny I was unsure whether I should keep it or not. I was a tad disappointed in New Super Mario Bros. (Just didn't feel as good as Mario on NES and SNES IMO). I decided to bite the bullet and play it anyway. All I gotta say is I'm VERY impressed. I really liked the first one, and this one is very similar, which is a good thing. I also like some of the new gameplay elements too (like switching different characters). This may be one of my very favorite DS games.

I like pretty much everything except the sound, just like you said. The first one had very memorable music and sound effects IMO (The castle themes were terrific, awesome theme when completing stage, etc.).

Yeah, I was glad the game didn't use the stylus. One certain game I got for Christmas (the one I like the least right now) was screwed up because it used the stylus IMO (when it really wasn't needed).

I do not understand the somewhat low scores at all. This game is EXACTLY like the first one (the best 2D platformer of all time - FACT) but has a few new gameplay elements thrown in and is a little bit harder to get 100% on every level - how is that bad? Sure it's not as fresh considering the original is over 10 years old but this game is certainly a 9.0, IMO.

It's not the same as the first one.

The first one had much more creative level design. More puzzles, creative stuff like the touch fuzzy get dizzy level, better use of richocheting eggs, more and better use of the vehicle tranformations for Yoshi etc. etc.

The levels in this game are pretty bland with few exception, and much of the challenge comes from the dead zone between screens and having to make blind jumps down or right when you can't get the screen to scroll ahead/down. In the first game the challenge was more genuine rather than cheap.

YI: DS is not a bad game, it's quite good. I just finished it the first time last night and I'll give it a 7.0, which is a good, but not great score which fits the game.

I'll play through the extra levels that were unlocked, but I doubt I'll bother with 100% levels as I just don't like the game enough to put that much effort in it. Nor do I have the patience to bother with it on the particularly cheap levels like 5-7 which are full of blind leaps etc.

I have played it in an EB, it feels so much like the first one at times I thought they took levels from the first one and added them to this one.

bread's done
Back