You guys want the truth about GS? Ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kuros']It's considered new because it's unplayed. If you want a discount, nicely (emphasis on the nicely) ask if they can get you a 10% discount because it's an open box item. We can do that, but if you get mean, then forget it. I've had people start complaining before I even got to the discount and I think to myself "Forget the discount." and they pay full price.

As for people trading in disc only games, it happens more than you think. Usually they bring them in a CD case or just by themselves. Unfortunally in my opinion, we do give them the same amount for disc only or complete. I wish we could deduct for not having case and/or the manual.[/quote]

Hey, bud, charge a refurb fee for doing this, it works like a charm.

[quote name='willardhaven']How on Earth do you get by on 6 dollars an hour?[/QUOTE]

By living at home while I go to school.

Furyk: It's our job to do that. I shouldn't have to explain anymore really.

Josef: It's up to the employee. I typically give the 10% if the person wasn't an ass. As for the price matching, I'm not sure.

CaoPi: I'll have to ask my manager tommorrow.

Hey: Not sure on that one, you can always call and ask. I don't shop at EB too much really.

Nosuchsoul: I'm not gonna charge a refurb fee if the disc doesn't need one. While I don't like disc only trade-ins, it's policy to take them. If the disc is beat up though, I charge one.

[quote name='CaoPi']later this year will gamestop be finally be able to take returns on purchases from EB games and giftcards, discount cards and what not?[/quote]

All systems should be hopefully integrated by the end of the year. Hopefully by Sept. or Oct. Don't take these dates for official annoucements or anything. I pulled them out of thin air. If they want to have everything go smoothly during the holiday season though, they would be wise to have them done by then so any changes to the system could be adapted to by the employees.

Learning the new POS we have now is a work in progress as it is. There are so many new things to it compared to the old DOS based system.

After the EB/GS merger I think the combined entity has generally become better shopping experience for customers.

But, GS seems to have picked up two of EB's particullary annoying atributes.

1. Everytime I enter the store (clearly emptyhanded) I'm asked if I brought any trades for them today. I particulary find it annoying to answer (participate) in this scripted conversation when the answer is obvious. I know GS/EB employees need to do this to inform customers and take in more trades, but there must be a better way of approaching this.

2. The selling of extended warrenties on games. I know this is pure profit for the stores, but unless you are particually clumsy or let small children or animals handle your games IMHO this practice is a total waste of money. One pressing question I have about this is if the game you are buying is particullary rare/old, how can GS replace it? BCS you would get store credit to apply to another game.

What annoyed me at EB was when I walked into a store during my lunch break. I'm not carrying anything in my hands and the guy behind the counter looks at me and asks if I have anything to trade in. WTF

This is slightly off topic, but it's about GameStop... and a ton of people are using this thread to bitch about GS/EB already anyway...

Today I went into a GS and asked if they had the Harmony 360. The register-monkey said "...what?" so I dumbed it down and asked if they had the Logitech remote for Xbox 360. He pointed to the pegs holding the official Microsoft 360 controllers and said "Yeah, all of our controllers are made by Logitech." Dumbfounded, I paused for several seconds, and then clarified "I mean the DVD remote, for the Xbox 360" (I know it's universal, but I felt "DVD remote" couldn't be confused as easily)... he then pointed to another peg, directly behind him, holding the official Microsoft DVD remote. I again clarified that I was looking for the remote made by Logitech, and once again he told me all of their Xbox remotes are made by Logitech. I would've laughed, but I was too shocked at the time. I simply turned around and walked out.

In hindsight, it was actually just amusing, not really annoying. I wonder if he truly believes Logitech makes all of their accessories or if he just felt the need to talk with his ass.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']
1. Everytime I enter the store (clearly emptyhanded) I'm asked if I brought any trades for them today. I particulary find it annoying to answer (participate) in this scripted conversation when the answer is obvious. I know GS/EB employees need to do this to inform customers and take in more trades, but there must be a better way of approaching this.
[/QUOTE]

There is an easy solution to this... just either a) talk on your cell phone while entering the store or b) fake talking on a cell phone while entering the store.

I know of some EB's / GS's in the area that will hound you the entire time you're in there, I just call up a friend and talk to them the entire time. Most employees aren't rude enough to interrupt you, and even if they are, hey i'm on the phone, they can go screw themselves.

But yea, that's the worst "Hey, did you bring your trade-in's today??" when I walk into the store carrying absolutely nothing.

[quote name='Roufuss']There is an easy solution to this... just either a) talk on your cell phone while entering the store or b) fake talking on a cell phone while entering the store.

I know of some EB's / GS's in the area that will hound you the entire time you're in there, I just call up a friend and talk to them the entire time. Most employees aren't rude enough to interrupt you, and even if they are, hey i'm on the phone, they can go screw themselves.

But yea, that's the worst "Hey, did you bring your trade-in's today??" when I walk into the store carrying absolutely nothing.[/quote]

I don't think that will work unless you stay on the "phone" for the entire visit, as soon as you get off the cell most likely they will ask you that damned question.

I think next time I will walk in the store and say "No Trades!" to circumvent this whole thing ;)

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this practice annoying.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I don't think that will work unless you stay on the "phone" for the entire visit, as soon as you get off the cell most likely they will ask you that damned question.

I think next time I will walk in the store and say "No Trades!" to circumvent this whole thing ;)

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this practice annoying.[/QUOTE]

Read my above post.

Easiest thing to do is just say no and move on. No need to be a jerk.

[quote name='Kuros']Also as a note, we are required to ask about trades.[/quote]

I know, I'm just critisizing how employees go about doing this. They all seem to be sticking to one script. It is one matter to make sure all customers in the store are aware of the trading policy, its another matter to ask a question that clearly doesn't apply to that said customer. This practice is a bit "wierd" to me.

Just my opinion.....

[quote name='Kuros']Read my above post.

Easiest thing to do is just say no and move on. No need to be a jerk.[/quote]

Just kidding around, Kuros. Don't take my posts too seriously........;)

[quote name='djkunai']How would you react to a "Glitter Bitch Blitz"?[/QUOTE]

According to the company: Call security

What would happen in real life: I'd glitter bitch back with my fists.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I know, I'm just critisizing how employees go about doing this. They all seem to be sticking to one script. It is one matter to make sure all customers in the store are aware of the trading policy, its another matter to ask a question that clearly doesn't apply to that said customer. This practice is a bit "wierd" to me.

Just my opinion.....[/QUOTE]

Personally, I just say "How's it going? Do you have any questions or trades?"

Simple and non-aggresive.

[quote name='Demolition Man']How do you react to someone knocking the magazine rack down? ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't because you can't at my store. You can kick it all you want all you will do is hurt your foot.

So whats the situation with employees cleaning up used games n sealing them and putting new stickers on them..is that like something common do you guys get a bonus when new games are purchased?

[quote name='Kuros']Personally, I just say "How's it going? Do you have any questions or trades?"

Simple and non-aggresive.[/quote]

Cool....I like the way you think.

[quote name='Skelah']So whats the situation with employees cleaning up used games n sealing them and putting new stickers on them..is that like something common do you guys get a bonus when new games are purchased?[/QUOTE]

Uh no. That would just hurt us in the long run.

Why do some of you make stuff up when you try and make a pre-order quota? I remember some guy tried to claim that 360 controllers will definatly sell out. Why not make up something believeable?

[quote name='klyco']Why do some of you make stuff up when you try and make a pre-order quota? I remember some guy tried to claim that 360 controllers will definatly sell out. Why not make up something believeable?[/QUOTE]

I don't lie. If I say that we have a ton of reserves for something, it's because we do.

And as for many games, if we don't get reserves, we either don't get copies or we get a very little amount of copies.

[quote name='Kuros']I don't lie. If I say that we have a ton of reserves for something, it's because we do.

And as for many games, if we don't get reserves, we either don't get copies or we get a very little amount of copies.[/QUOTE]
I thought you guys had to get a certain quota or you're fired or something.

Heres the ultimate question:

Do you have your trade ins with you today?

[/QUOTE]

I just tell them that I don't have them with me, but I'm coming back later right before closing with about 50 of them. All disc only, no UPCs.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this has to be the dumbest thing that they do. I know its just part of their job but honestly why waste your time asking someone who clearly has nothing?

Also, why does GS and EB even bother putting out 20 copies of stuff like Madden 2002, many of them with the spare cases and title written in on them? Nobody is ever going to buy these, they might as well try selling them for under a dollar just to get rid of them.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Also, why does GS and EB even bother putting out 20 copies of stuff like Madden 2002, many of them with the spare cases and title written in on them? Nobody is ever going to buy these, they might as well try selling them for under a dollar just to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

Its called representing what's in inventory. Regardless of the title, they want a case out there showing foir every game, and copy available for purchase.

Hey I debated buying Madden 2002 and 2003 when they were $2 during the B2G1 used sale. Every store I went to had a ton of copies up at the front counter for some reason. I mean they pay $0.01 for the games so if they actually sell them they still make money. Lol old sports games being worthless.

There are 7 GS/EB that I occasionally go to around here. I don't think I've ever been asked if I had any trades (even when I brought trades). Of course I look like a serial killer.

Edit: Yeah and if an ignorant parent/young child sees a $2 game they're going to be like OMGWTFBBQ and possibly return to the store later in search of more such 'deals'. Also if people are going to buy one thing (like a good but old $2 game that they can't miss seeing as they walk by the registers) they are more likely to look for and buy other things. Companies don't do this stuff randomly.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Yeah, this has to be the dumbest thing that they do. I know its just part of their job but honestly why waste your time asking someone who clearly has nothing?

[/QUOTE]

I believe it's to get the word out that they do take trade-ins. They probably should rephrase the question when it's obvious you're not trading in to "Are you aware we take trade-ins for used games you're no longer playing?"

[quote name='Kuros']Read my above post.

Easiest thing to do is just say no and move on. No need to be a jerk.[/quote]

Okay, I get that you're a nice person and that you're required to say this.

Most of us, I think, are generally nice and are not out gunning to be rude to store employees.

However, just as I recognize that it's not you who is forcing you to say this, you need to recognize that any response is not directed to you, personally, but to the company who is forcing you through this moronic bullshit.

The way that annoying policies get changed is that management hears that customers are displeased about something. This is not registered through a polite "No, not today."

In fact, that's self-defeating. Rather than hear people are irritated or upset, management hears that it really doesn't matter to most people, and so the policy continues.

Up until now, I've usually answered the annoying questions with "No, not today" or, if I'm feeling peevish, the same words with upturned palms (indicating that if I had games, I have no idea where I'd be hiding them).

Maybe you can help. What can we do to let management know we really, really hate this? Is there a place we can write letters (not email)? Would it make a difference?

what's the ultimate, final Truth about Gamestop? You know, like TRUTH not just the "truth" but like the real Truth with a capital T? Is this nefarious "corporate" that is always brought up really just a black ball in a room that fires employees when they don't get enough pre-orders? Did you die and wake up behind a Gamestop counter with a card that reads "ask if they have any trade ins" in your hand? Also, does Gamestop secretly control the Ebay market prices for games? because that's what an employee told me last time I was there.

inquiring minds want to know.

[quote name='lanleague']How old do you have to be to work at Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Sean: No I don't.

Apossum: GS doesn't control the market on Ebay, more like the other way around. GS sees that some games are worth a ton on ebay, and raises it's prices accordingly.

[quote name='Kuros']16

Apossum: GS doesn't control the market on Ebay, more like the other way around. GS sees that some games are worth a ton on ebay, and raises it's prices accordingly.[/QUOTE]

I know, i was just being a smartass, as usual

[quote name='seanr1221']Do you take new 360 games home for a week then bring them back to the store and shrink wrap them as new like my friend does?[/quote]

:lol:

I'm an EB Store Manager, The whole point of "What did you bring in to trade today" is that people will think about it before they come in, kind of like a "positive brainwash" so that they will always think about it before they come in and actually bring some trades as my customers trades= my Used warehouse.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I don't think that will work unless you stay on the "phone" for the entire visit, as soon as you get off the cell most likely they will ask you that damned question.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this practice annoying.[/quote]

Could we get a movement going where we all try to use the 'no trades' slogan when we enter the store ?
Maybe at some point the policys will change where they wont ask .

[quote name='randominization']is there gonna be a sale for the ds lite anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

Are you going to see a girl naked anytime soon?

There is you're answer :cool:

[quote name='Apossum'] Also, does Gamestop secretly control the Ebay market prices for games? because that's what an employee told me last time I was there.

inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]

What's hilarious is that Gamestop mimics Ebay on game prices. When demand for Silent Hill 2 and 3 went up, Gamestop marked their prices up a ton within a week, I know it used to be something like $8 bucks for Silent Hill 2 and they marked that way up to $25 or $30.

And just look at the prices for MvC 2... it wouldn't surprise me for Gamestop to bump that up another $10 sooner or later and sell it for $70.

I was going to bring up MvC 2 when the guy told that to me, but it would've been a waste of breath and an uncomfortable conversation :lol:

[quote name='Roufuss']What's hilarious is that Gamestop mimics Ebay on game prices. When demand for Silent Hill 2 and 3 went up, Gamestop marked their prices up a ton within a week, I know it used to be something like $8 bucks for Silent Hill 2 and they marked that way up to $25 or $30.

[/quote]

Fortunately for me when i went to buy a copy, the sticker hadn't changed so i got mine at the 7.99 instead of 19.99 or whatever it was =]

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Fortunately for me when i went to buy a copy, the sticker hadn't changed so i got mine at the 7.99 instead of 19.99 or whatever it was =][/quote]

That's the best, if you can get a game for its old price RIGHT before the new price hits the POS in the store or whatnot. I had that with Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner several months ago. That was worth saving $10 on. Just smile, nod, hand over some money and dance out of the store!

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Fortunately for me when i went to buy a copy, the sticker hadn't changed so i got mine at the 7.99 instead of 19.99 or whatever it was =][/QUOTE]

Hey, one time I got MGS 2 Substance for $9.99 used because someone tagged it as a totally different MGS game ;)

can you help me get a rare game at the GS price so I can avoid the migraines of an ebay price? some nice people at both my local GS and an out of state one did that to get me a pristine Valkyrie Profile for $40 or $50 - I forget which.

EB/GS employees: Stop thinking you're right.

I'm sorry, but it really annoys me when I read these EB/GS threads and the employees always make excuses for their actions. It -does not- matter if your boss tells you to do something or not, you do it, so don't complain about customer's actions/reactions. The customer is always right, and customer satisfaction is part of your job every bit as much as these sales initiatives are. You can't logically do one and not the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back