You guys want the truth about GS? Ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people come in and kick over the magazine rack (j/k)?

My real question is: how come the online inventory system seems to be so wrong. Do you think the employees just don't want to look for things for me, or is the system just messed up a lot?

[quote name='Koggit']EB/GS employees: Stop thinking you're right.

I'm sorry, but it really annoys me when I read these EB/GS threads and the employees always make excuses for their actions. It -does not- matter if your boss tells you to do something or not, you do it, so don't complain about customer's actions/reactions. The customer is always right, and customer satisfaction is part of your job every bit as much as these sales initiatives are. You can't logically do one and not the other.[/QUOTE]

:roll:
The customer is rarley right. You just want to beleive they are. So should I smile and nod when the customer bitches at me claiming I'm hiding a copy of Mario Kart Double Dash for PS2 in the backroom? What about when there kid destorys a system they bought from us new 2 years ago? Just give them what they want, right? :lol:

If the customer is always right then Mario is on PS2... I had a lady insist I did'nt know my product. She swore up and down her kid had Mario Golf for the PS2, I told her that Mario was only on Nintendo. She thought I was stupid.

You guys are totally right. The l33t, far superior Gamestop employee is always right. When you customers walk into the store, you should hang your heads in shame as your not up to the superior game selling abilitiy as these top-class people.

[quote name='umcthomas']
My real question is: how come the online inventory system seems to be so wrong. Do you think the employees just don't want to look for things for me, or is the system just messed up a lot?[/QUOTE]

The system has been right 95% of the time for me. I'd say the online inventory is a day off... I've gotten multiples of every rare game (when GS still had lots of ps one games) using the online inventory, so it's right more often then it is wrong.

The only times a game hasn't been there when the locator says it was is if A) Somebody beat me to the game or B) one of the employees is holding it for themselves, and then the very rare C) it gets scanned in by accident, or someone steals the game, so it stays in the locator for a long long time until inventory.

I have a great story about this... my gf and I go into a Gamestop, gf asks the employee for a rare game (I honestly forget which one it was), employee says they don't have it and my gf says "Oh, because it showed up on the locator last night". The employee says "Oh, the locator is 4 or 5 days off, it's never reliable".

I bring up a copy of Magna Carta, ask if it has the extras... same employee says "Yes, I took it as a trade in yesterday evening, it has everything, that's a lucky find" I say "Yes, I know, the locator showed it as in stock last night (where it wasn't there before), that's pretty good for being 4 or 5 days off huh?"

The dude wouldn't even look at me the rest of the time he rang us up.. never made eye contact again. I know some GS employee will say the locator isn't reliable, blah blah blah, but it works fine for me.

I also know that once upon a time, when Gitaroo Man was really rare, a Gamestop showed it in stock for about a month straight. I called pretty often, and finally the manager just decided to sell it to me rather then wait for his employee to take it out of the hold drawer since he figured a month was too long to hold it.

[quote name='Roufuss']The system has been right 95% of the time for me. I'd say the online inventory is a day off... I've gotten multiples of every rare game (when GS still had lots of ps one games) using the online inventory, so it's right more often then it is wrong.

The only times a game hasn't been there when the locator says it was is if A) Somebody beat me to the game or B) one of the employees is holding it for themselves, and then the very rare C) it gets scanned in by accident, or someone steals the game, so it stays in the locator for a long long time until inventory.

I have a great story about this... my gf and I go into a Gamestop, gf asks the employee for a rare game (I honestly forget which one it was), employee says they don't have it and my gf says "Oh, because it showed up on the locator last night". The employee says "Oh, the locator is 4 or 5 days off, it's never reliable".

I bring up a copy of Magna Carta, ask if it has the extras... same employee says "Yes, I took it as a trade in yesterday evening, it has everything, that's a lucky find" I say "Yes, I know, the locator showed it as in stock last night (where it wasn't there before), that's pretty good for being 4 or 5 days off huh?"

The dude wouldn't even look at me the rest of the time he rang us up.. never made eye contact again. I know some GS employee will say the locator isn't reliable, blah blah blah, but it works fine for me.

I also know that once upon a time, when Gitaroo Man was really rare, a Gamestop showed it in stock for about a month straight. I called pretty often, and finally the manager just decided to sell it to me rather then wait for his employee to take it out of the hold drawer since he figured a month was too long to hold it.[/QUOTE]

The locator is very unreliable. It may update the new games, but not take the old games off. You'd be surprised how screwed up they can be.

Here's something that crossed my mind, although it probably isn't as important as other questions:

I've been to a few EBs/GSs where they alphabetize certain "unmanageable" sections maybe once or twice a day if it isn't busy (ie: PS1, N64, CD collections) and toss on labels on the spines of games that have no markings just to make them easier to peruse. Is this mostly a "killing off boredom" sort of thing in some stores or does upper management expect this from most stores but, in most cases, it simply isn't feasible?

Just wondering since it's one hell of a monotonous task, I imagine, but the stores that do it tend to have those areas dwindle pretty quickly compared to other stores.

[quote name='Roufuss']What's hilarious is that Gamestop mimics Ebay on game prices. When demand for Silent Hill 2 and 3 went up, Gamestop marked their prices up a ton within a week, I know it used to be something like $8 bucks for Silent Hill 2 and they marked that way up to $25 or $30.

And just look at the prices for MvC 2... it wouldn't surprise me for Gamestop to bump that up another $10 sooner or later and sell it for $70.[/quote]

Well, yeah, why wouldn' they? Wouldn't you?

[quote name='Kapwanil']Here's something that crossed my mind, although it probably isn't as important as other questions:

I've been to a few EBs/GSs where they alphabetize certain "unmanageable" sections maybe once or twice a day if it isn't busy (ie: PS1, N64, CD collections) and toss on labels on the spines of games that have no markings just to make them easier to peruse. Is this mostly a "killing off boredom" sort of thing in some stores or does upper management expect this from most stores but, in most cases, it simply isn't feasible?

Just wondering since it's one hell of a monotonous task, I imagine, but the stores that do it tend to have those areas dwindle pretty quickly compared to other stores.[/quote]

Nope, that is the manager having them do that because it is dead and there is nothing else to do. Generally corporate could care less about those types of games, as long as they are somewhat neat and shoppable.

[quote name='Rozz']You guys are totally right. The l33t, far superior Gamestop employee is always right. When you customers walk into the store, you should hang your heads in shame as your not up to the superior game selling abilitiy as these top-class people.[/quote]

Well, we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't. I am sure some effin moron assumes I am an idiot for asking what system he wanted his copy of Gran Turismo or Zelda on. I am always amused by the look on their face that they think I am a moron, and me realising this idiot never worked retail.

El Chumpo who assumes I am dum,b for asking that has no idea that I had a person return a copy of devil may cry because he wanted the XBOX version. Or the guy who came in and asked for a playstation 2 memory card and did not know it did not work on the Gamecube. All true stories. Oh yeah, that 13 year old who wanted to know if Pokemon was on the PSP.

Oh yes, I have many more stories too.

[quote name='seanr1221']Do you take new 360 games home for a week then bring them back to the store and shrink wrap them as new like my friend does?[/quote]
Stores that do employee checkouts do that all the time, but we do not sjrink wrap them, we just take the gut. The copy we removed to make a display case. We can't shrink wrap those. Your friends manager is an idiot, because if he is doing that, he is allowing the employees to check out the same game at the same time, which we are not supposed to do.

[quote name='rfoffline']I'm an EB Store Manager, The whole point of "What did you bring in to trade today" is that people will think about it before they come in, kind of like a "positive brainwash" so that they will always think about it before they come in and actually bring some trades as my customers trades= my Used warehouse.[/quote]

That greeting was created by an idiot. There is no point to it. It is much better to require us to include it in a conversation. That greeting is ignored by customers, and the message does not register at all, it is pointless and alienating.

[quote name='Koggit']EB/GS employees: Stop thinking you're right.

I'm sorry, but it really annoys me when I read these EB/GS threads and the employees always make excuses for their actions. It -does not- matter if your boss tells you to do something or not, you do it, so don't complain about customer's actions/reactions. The customer is always right, and customer satisfaction is part of your job every bit as much as these sales initiatives are. You can't logically do one and not the other.[/quote]

We are actually not told that the customer is always right, we are told to make them think they are.

I am sorry to say buddy, but the people who post here are not important customers. Sure, we make money off of you, but you are not big "moneymaker" customers. Moms and kids are, sometimes dads. Look at the people here with trade in lists, or Ebay accounts. They are competitors. Those greetings and sale pitches (which I don't like) are designed toward the profitable customers. And if they are an annoyance to those here, so be it. It does not matter much to the bottom line and it helps with those "good" customers who make us money. Those who do not come on here and brag about the SUPER DUPER AWESOME deal they got at Gamestop.

[quote name='nosuchsoul']We are actually not told that the customer is always right, we are told to make them think they are.

I am sorry to say buddy, but the people who post here are not important customers. Sure, we make money off of you, but you are not big "moneymaker" customers. [/quote]

And this is why GS/EB gets so much hatred here, among plentiful other reasons. You have contempt for your customers.

Time to close up the thread. There really isn't anything else to say. If you're a nice, competent GS/EB employee, I really feel sorry for you.

[quote name='blandstalker']If you're a nice, competent GS/EB employee, I really feel sorry for you.[/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='blandstalker']And this is why GS/EB gets so much hatred here, among plentiful other reasons. You have contempt for your customers.

Time to close up the thread. There really isn't anything else to say. If you're a nice, competent GS/EB employee, I really feel sorry for you.[/QUOTE]

What gives you the authority to suggest closing my thread?

Anyway, if anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask. I couldn't answer anything yesterday because I was at Six Flags. :)

[quote name='Roufuss']The system has been right 95% of the time for me. I'd say the online inventory is a day off... I've gotten multiples of every rare game (when GS still had lots of ps one games) using the online inventory, so it's right more often then it is wrong.

I also know that once upon a time, when Gitaroo Man was really rare, a Gamestop showed it in stock for about a month straight. I called pretty often, and finally the manager just decided to sell it to me rather then wait for his employee to take it out of the hold drawer since he figured a month was too long to hold it.[/QUOTE]

Whenever I call up and ask for a game, 95% of the time they instantly say "Oh no, that game is rare, sorry, we don't have it." as if it's impossible that a copy of a game would EVER be in stock. that annoys the crap out of me to no end! just one of those little things, ya know :lol: but I force them to look and it's about 50/50 whether they find it or not.

It can be pretty off-- like a lot of stores around me show Castlevania: SOTN in stock, but none of them carry PS1 games any more.

When it works, it's awesome.

anyway, what is there is that cag doesn't know about gs or eb? I know the store and policies better than some of the people who work there and have even been asked if I want to work at certain stores (of course, all the times I've applied in the past, I've been denied. figures!)

Keep in mind that the store locator lists defective copies as in-stock, so that's accounted for a good majority of the times it's been off in my experience. For example, I returned a defective BoF2 for GBA and it showed in stock for the next week or two till they finally did whatever they do with defective games.

[quote name='botticus']Keep in mind that the store locator lists defective copies as in-stock, so that's accounted for a good majority of the times it's been off in my experience. For example, I returned a defective BoF2 for GBA and it showed in stock for the next week or two till they finally did whatever they do with defective games.[/quote]

The donate them to orphanages.

For gods sake, someone think of the children!

[quote name='Kayden']The donate them to orphanages.

For gods sake, someone think of the children![/QUOTE]

if by orphanages you mean gamestop.com, where they sell them right back. I need to learn how to make money selling broken shit >_

[quote name='nosuchsoul']Stores that do employee checkouts do that all the time, but we do not sjrink wrap them, we just take the gut. The copy we removed to make a display case. We can't shrink wrap those. Your friends manager is an idiot, because if he is doing that, he is allowing the employees to check out the same game at the same time, which we are not supposed to do.[/QUOTE]

So, the gutted copy, that is always defended as "brand new" by the clerk and priced as such, may have been taken home and played by an employee? Is this only particular to your store? Because there are plenty of GS employees who insist that this policy has been discontinued.

The thing that bothers me the most about gutted copies is I have never, NEVER, had a clerk put it back in its case without dropping it first.

[quote name='adamsappel']So, the gutted copy, that is always defended as "brand new" by the clerk and priced as such, may have been taken home and played by an employee? Is this only particular to your store? Because there are plenty of GS employees who insist that this policy has been discontinued.

The thing that bothers me the most about gutted copies is I have never, NEVER, had a clerk put it back in its case without dropping it first.[/QUOTE]

it really depends on your district manager and/or manager. mine says no, but i bet others are ok with it.

[quote name='adamsappel']So, the gutted copy, that is always defended as "brand new" by the clerk and priced as such, may have been taken home and played by an employee? Is this only particular to your store? Because there are plenty of GS employees who insist that this policy has been discontinued.

The thing that bothers me the most about gutted copies is I have never, NEVER, had a clerk put it back in its case without dropping it first.[/quote]

I love how they leave the one bar of security tape on it. That way they can pry the case open and you get to hear that sickening crack as it bends in unnatural ways. Then they put their oily claws all over the bottom of the disk as they try to blugeon it back into the case and scratch it on the spindle. And then they stare blankly as you politely decline that copy.

"But the tape is still on, its new!!!! Even still, you can buy the warranty!" :dunce:

[FONT=&quot]Despite a couple poor employees, I have good experiences at Gamestop. I am perfectly willing to pay the used game prices for the convenience of having a trading post (complete with returns for bad disks). I've never tried it, but do you think the employees would part with swag they don't want if we ask? I remember getting some cool stuff when I worked as an arcade, so I assume that they get tons of promotional stuffs that they don't use.[/FONT]

[quote name='Kayden']I love how they leave the one bar of security tape on it. That way they can pry the case open and you get to hear that sickening crack as it bends in unnatural ways. Then they put their oily claws all over the bottom of the disk as they try to blugeon it back into the case and scratch it on the spindle. And then they stare blankly as you politely decline that copy.

"But the tape is still on, its new!!!! Even still, you can buy the warranty!" :dunce:[/quote]

Wow, you really should be medicated for your OCD.

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Says the EB Store Manager. No bias there :roll:[/QUOTE]

The fact that he's an EB manager shouldn't discredit his opinion.

[quote name='umcthomas'][FONT=&quot]I've never tried it, but do you think the employees would part with swag they don't want if we ask? I remember getting some cool stuff when I worked as an arcade, so I assume that they get tons of promotional stuffs that they don't use.[/FONT][/quote]

Depends on the store, really. I've frequented places where, for a time, my brother and I would get plenty of leftover swag that everyone else working there already grabbed. Pre-order t-shirts, booklets, demo CDs...it was all good. It also helped a great deal that we knew most of the people working in the locations (or got to know them) and also were on great terms with the managers. They'd help us grab some certain games for the holidays or for special occassions and we'd repay them by giving them most of our business, as well as pounds of freshly-baked bakery cookies during most major holidays.

It's entirely YMMV but, hey, maybe it could work for you as well.

[quote name='Kuros']The fact that he's an EB manager shouldn't discredit his opinion.[/QUOTE]

It certainly doesn't help though...

Alright I am going to stop being an ass for a second.

Seriously, I really enjoy work at Gamestop. It's a very fun job, although that depends on your co-workers/Manager/DM. I don't mean to brag but I feel I know quite a bit about gaming in general so I really take pride in my work. When people ask me about a game I let them know my opinion and what other people have though about that certain game. I would feel bad if I didn't let someone know that they were buying a 3-5 hour game (Black I am looking at you). I must have talked quite a few people out of buying Black at the store I work at, now I don't know if they bought it somewhere else but everytime I told someone about it they thanked me for letting them know not to waste money on a game that is short. I know not everyone wants to hear a clerks opinion so I ask them if they want to know more about the game if they say yes then I explain to them the games good and bad parts. If someone says "no thanks" I say "ok if you have other question don't be afraid to ask me."

Now onto the games we sell. Anytime I sell a used game I show the person buying it the best copy we have, if only have copies that aren't in the best condition I let them know, that way the don't have to be upset that I sold them a bad disc. I know the feeling to get home with a game you really want to enjoy then bam DRE. I let people know that the display copy is the last one, if they say "no thanks" I let them know they can try the Gamerush that's located a mile away or try another GS.

I really like helping people out, even though the bad shoppers outnumber the good.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']Alright I am going to stop being an ass for a second.

Seriously, I really enjoy work at Gamestop. It's a very fun job, although that depends on your co-workers/Manager/DM. I don't mean to brag but I feel I know quite a bit about gaming in general so I really take pride in my work. When people ask me about a game I let them know my opinion and what other people have though about that certain game. I would feel bad if I didn't let someone know that they were buying a 3-5 hour game (Black I am looking at you). I must have talked quite a few people out of buying Black at the store I work at, now I don't know if they bought it somewhere else but everytime I told someone about it they thanked me for letting them know not to waste money on a game that is short. I know not everyone wants to hear a clerks opinion so I ask them if they want to know more about the game if they say yes then I explain to them the games good and bad parts. If someone says "no thanks" I say "ok if you have other question don't be afraid to ask me."

Now onto the games we sell. Anytime I sell a used game I show the person buying it the best copy we have, if only have copies that aren't in the best condition I let them know, that way the don't have to be upset that I sold them a bad disc. I know the feeling to get home with a game you really want to enjoy then bam DRE. I let people know that the display copy is the last one, if they say "no thanks" I let them know they can try the Gamerush that's located a mile away or try another GS.

I really like helping people out, even though the bad shoppers outnumber the good.[/QUOTE]

Well its good that you, unlike some (gizmogc), actually put the customer first and don't automatically have animosity toward them.

This reminds me of when I used to work at Best Buy. I absolutely despised the company and usually would try to find ways to piss off my managers, seniors, and supervisors. However, the one thing I never did was take it out on the customers. I figured, its not their fault Best Buy sucks so much. I'd give 10% off an entire purchase rather than 1 item with the 10% off a single item coupon, tell someone when something was going to be on sale the next week, let them know when the service plan wasn't a good purchase, actually was honest with them about the service plan (my supervisor tried to tell a customer that batteries are covered but I showed them in the brochure that they aren't just in case they were using that to make their decision), etc.

:lol: How long did it take you to get fired? BB doesn't give a shit about customer satisfaction. They want money.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well its good that you, unlike some (gizmogc), actually put the customer first and don't automatically have animosity toward them.

This reminds me of when I used to work at Best Buy. I absolutely despised the company and usually would try to find ways to piss off my managers, seniors, and supervisors. However, the one thing I never did was take it out on the customers. I figured, its not their fault Best Buy sucks so much. I'd give 10% off an entire purchase rather than 1 item with the 10% off a single item coupon, tell someone when something was going to be on sale the next week, let them know when the service plan wasn't a good purchase, actually was honest with them about the service plan (my supervisor tried to tell a customer that batteries are covered but I showed them in the brochure that they aren't just in case they were using that to make their decision), etc.[/quote]

[quote name='rfoffline']Wow, you really should be medicated for your OCD.[/QUOTE]

no, he's totally right and it has nothing to do with your amateur diagnosis. GS and EB is the only store I know of that sells open box merchandise for full price. it's pretty annoying. even Best Buy gives a discount.

when someone pays for a "new" item, they want it sealed and unfucked with. I don't care how much justification you guys have about the disc being perfect (which it isn't, a lot of times), it's a lame policy anyway you slice it.

Exactly. If the case has been opened and an employee's grubby hands have taken the game out of the case then its a USED product no matter how you try to justify it. That means it should be sold as USED not "new" or however you few EB/GS defends will like to call it.

Don't get me wrong GS doesn't bother me that much as I like doing business there. But if I were to ever try to get a USED game being handed off to me as "new" then I'll call them on it and ask politely either if I can get a few dollars off. If not then I won't buy it on the principal of being charged the new price for a USED product.

If more of us would take an approach like this then they might even stop this crap. But as is it won't happen especially when a good chunk of the customers at GS/EB don't know better. Trust me I've seen idiots get talked into preordering Madden 07 because "it will be hard to find." :rofl:

[quote name='Demolition Man']Exactly. If the case has been opened and an employee's grubby hands have taken the game out of the case then its a USED product no matter how you try to justify it. That means it should be sold as USED not "new" or however you few EB/GS defends will like to call it.

Don't get me wrong GS doesn't bother me that much as I like doing business there. But if I were to ever try to get a USED game being handed off to me as "new" then I'll call them on it and ask politely either if I can get a few dollars off. If not then I won't buy it on the principal of being charged the new price for a USED product.

If more of us would take an approach like this then they might even stop this crap. But as is it won't happen especially when a good chunk of the customers at GS/EB don't know better. Trust me I've seen idiots get talked into preordering Madden 07 because "it will be hard to find." :rofl:[/quote]

I can GUARANTEE that if the store has a check out policy, which 90% of Eb and Gamestops do, THAT COPY HAS BEEN TAKEN HOME AND PLAYED WITH MORE THAN PARIS HILTON!

Another thing, the employee does not mind if you do not buy the gut copy of a game. If you are buying a single new copy of a game, hell even if you buy three or four, those sales hurt your overall percentage of used and trade ins, which are based on your total sales. Sooooooooo, if you want to hurt a Gamestop, go and drop $400 on a 360, you will kill his used and trade in percentages. Oh yeah, trade and used percentages count a lot more then total sales do. A LOT MORE.

Do you have any idea how many PSP sales I killed to help our used and trade-in percentages? Oh yeah, dead pixels, bad trigger buttons, circle button sticking, blah blah blah.:D :bouncy: :lol:

Basically, the attitude you are getting about the open copy is a little of him not wanting to deal with you, and most to do with him truly not caring, and kind of hoping, you do not buy it.

Here's the simple solution: Don't shop at EB / GS.

Ebay has better used prices 95% of the time (even with shipping), Outpost.com discount almost every Atlus / RPG title when it comes out (with free shipping, to boot), everything else can be found cheaper at Best Buy / Circuit City, and if you want a preorder bonus just order it online.

Seriously, you people complain, but there ARE alternatives that are VERY accessible. The only time I shop at EB / GS is

1 ) if they have a rare game that's twice as much on Ebay (Marvel Vs Capcom 2)

2) they have the buy 2 get 1 free sale, because I can grab some stuff I want and resell the stuff I don't want and break even

3) I'm getting a hell of a good trade-in deal that GS / EB won't profit from me on (cmon, 12 shitty circuit city clearance games for a boatload of credit? those same games are still on the shelf at GS...).

I won't buy new games there, because of the whole gutted policy, and you know what, I still get every new release I'm interested in, whether its niche or not. And if, by chance, I do need to shop there for a new game, I go to the one GS where I know the manager and staff are very cool, they will discount you if it's not in brand new shape, and are awesome workers... I won't go to any other GS.

Like you, I hated the gutted new game sales, I hated getting pushed around for trade-in's and preorders (which the local GS dosen't do to me, they know I get everything cheaper at Best Buy :lol:), so I decided to just stop buying games there.

I wait for the day Best Buy goes national with their trade-in's, because that is the day EB / GS are in alot of trouble, because a hell of alot more people shop at Best Buy then Gamestop. Posters like the one above me are the reason I don't go to most EB's / GS's: jackoff's that think they know so much because they work at a Gamestop, woo, good job there.

I've noticed that the Toys R Us Stores near me now have display boxes, which you simply take up to the counter, and the employee will swap it for a new/sealed one they have locked in a glass case. Why doesn't Gamestop and EB do this regularly?

Also, is there any hope that Gamestop and EB will start to beef up their PC gaming selection and displays? I really got discouraged when they started turning all the boxes sideways, making it difficult to see what was available, and shrinking the shelf space down to nothing. I've noticed, however, that over the past 6-8 months that Circuit City and Best Buy have been increasing their stock of PC games. Any chance that GS and EB will follow suit?

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']I've noticed that the Toys R Us Stores near me now have display boxes, which you simply take up to the counter, and the employee will swap it for a new/sealed one they have locked in a glass case. Why doesn't Gamestop and EB do this regularly?

Also, is there any hope that Gamestop and EB will start to beef up their PC gaming selection and displays? I really got discouraged when they started turning all the boxes sideways, making it difficult to see what was available, and shrinking the shelf space down to nothing. I've noticed, however, that over the past 6-8 months that Circuit City and Best Buy have been increasing their stock of PC games. Any chance that GS and EB will follow suit?

-HM[/QUOTE]

PC gaming is pretty much a fossil... at my local CC and BB PC games get the same small shelf space. It's sad, yea, but not alot of PC games really come out anymore that are worth a damn, maybe 1 or 2 per month.

Toys R Us has had those boxes for years now, at this point... I've always wondered why EB / GS has never done that, but it's probably too much effort for them :roll:

Granted I'm new to console gaming (since I just bought a DS Lite), but can you honestly tell me that per system, each console has more than one or two games per month that come out which are actually worth buying at close to list price?

Granted PC gaming is pretty light right now, but we're a fanatical bunch, and it's just easier most times to buy on-line then try to find the stuff in stores. The EB and Gamestop people have no clue what I'm talking about when I'm looking for a new game. Happened a month or so ago when I was looking for Sin Episodes - "What? Sim What? We don't have that. Oh wait, here it is - one copy. It's been gutted though. Damn, where is that disc? Here you go. Sorry about those price stickers that won't come off the DVD case. Sucks, doesn't it?"

-HM

I've noticed that the Toys R Us Stores near me now have display boxes, which you simply take up to the counter, and the employee will swap it for a new/sealed one they have locked in a glass case. Why doesn't Gamestop and EB do this regularly?
I'm assuming it's because of a cost they don't feel like dealing with. I worked at TRU, and whenever we had to order more clamshells the managers wouldn't be happy. Those things get lost, and ruined, all the time. And around Christmas time forget it. We had to order over a hundred new ones after the season was over.

EB and GS realized that most of their customers just don't care. So they're not going to bother with clamshells. Like Roufuss said, if it's such a huge problem stop shopping there. Complaining on a message board, while still giving them your money, isn't going to do anything. Not like it would matter anyway, since we're not the mainstream gaming crowd anymore.

Sure it does. They just sell it without the case, and maybe shave off a couple bucks on the price. Happened to me before. Also they don't have to buy another case to replace it. They just gut another copy.

[quote name='FernandoIchicabeza']My question for Gamestop: when will we see another buy two get one free sale on used games again?[/quote]

Right now sort of. You have to have the coupon from your Game Informer Mag. But you can always just buy the mag for $6 and get a higher priced game free and save some money that way if you don't have a mag of your own.

It's not the same as a storewide sale, but it's still free*.

[quote name='sKp05']If the customer is always right then Mario is on PS2... I had a lady insist I did'nt know my product. She swore up and down her kid had Mario Golf for the PS2, I told her that Mario was only on Nintendo. She thought I was stupid.[/quote]

Yup, back when I was a 3rd key I don't know how many people I had come up and ask if the GC games played on the PS2 or XB, or why DVD's wouldn't play on their GC's. Stupid stuff. :booty: We even had a few people bring in game systems w/ let's say... the gamecube hardware, ps2 controller and xb cords (even better w/ oldschool NES stuff) swearing on their lives that they played the system w/ those exact items plugged into it. Most of the time I'd end up having somone finish up the transaction and I'd go into the backroom laughing my butt off. Some people are just too brilliant. :applause:

[quote name='Ziv']Right now sort of. You have to have the coupon from your Game Informer Mag. But you can always just buy the mag for $6 and get a higher priced game free and save some money that way if you don't have a mag of your own.

It's not the same as a storewide sale, but it's still free*.[/quote]I'm aware of that coupon, but I don't get GI. Factoring in the cost of buying a magazine I don't want for the coupon, the deal isn't nearly as sweet. I actually find myself wishing GS/EB would *raise* their prices on some games by a couple bucks. A lot of the games I want to buy are in the $15.99 to $18.99 range - just low enough not to be eligible for the buy one >=$19.99 get one free promotion. Plus the B2G1 promotion stacks with the Edge discount in store.

I have a question about gutted copies:

When I went to my local EB today, I saw multiple gutted copies of the same game on the "New" sheft.

Now, I can understand gutting one copy as display, but why would they need to gut 4 copies of one game? Why the hell not keep one game as display and keep all the other ones nicely sealed - without stickers on the boxes and hundreds of people fondling the boxes?

I also remember the last time I shopped there...I bought Paper Mario for the N64 "new" and when I took it home there was already a save file on it. wtf.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well its good that you, unlike some (gizmogc), actually put the customer first and don't automatically have animosity toward them.[/QUOTE]

I put the customer first when I worked at gamestores. However, people HERE are not *really* customers. For the most part, CAGs won't go into a GameStop unless A. They are having a sale. B. They are looking for rare games to sell. C. Looking to make a thread here bitching about 'shiitty' service.

I had many customers who came to the store just to purchase things from me since I was very knowledgeable on not only current gen, but things dating back to Atari. I treated every customer with respect, until they made themselves feel 'superior', and then I get nasty. When someone comes into my store and bitches about trade-in prices, I told them to goto GR or EB. We gave the best prices, and would even pricematch a competitors price with proof.

I'm not gonna go on a huge rant, like I can, but you assume just because I defend employees of GS/EB etc. that I was a total ass. Very wrong. Its the select people here on CAG who think they are the top shit and if they don't like EB/GS, then no one should.

CAGgers are NOT what EB/GS etc. want. Its the Moms and Dads. THEY spend money, CAGs don't. What CAG is going to go buy a new release at EB/GS etc. when Best Buy has it on sale for $42.99? What about when its on-sale AND they can use there $5 off GGC coupons? You think there gonna go and pay $15 more for a copy at EB/GS etc.? Nope. Not unless they have store credit for trading in games they bought cheaper at CC/TRU. You think they are gonna take a *gasp* opened display copy? Nope. I instead, they will come here, start another thread, and bitch.

So, just so I have this straight, its OK to take advantage of deals and loopholes (Trading in JamPacks in conjuction with a 'Get XX amount of additional store credit'), but its a big no-no for EB to sell a display copy of a new game that may have never even left the store (People always assume *every* EB/GS allows their employees to borrow games, not true)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back