You guys want the truth about GS? Ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worse than the stupid questions I get now.

People pointing right at a price sticker and asking me how much something is.

When we answer the phone we say "Gamestop, where we buy and sell used games and DVDs, this is ________. How can I help you?" People will then ask things like: "Is this Gamestop?", "Do you buy games and DVDs?", "What's your name?"

People constantly bring the used game cases up to me and say "Just to let you know, there's no game in here."

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No worse than the stupid questions I get now.

When we answer the phone we say "Gamestop, where we buy and sell used games and DVDs, this is ________. How can I help you?" People will then ask things like: "Is this Gamestop?", "Do you buy games and DVDs?", "What's your name?"

People constantly bring the used game cases up to me and say "Just to let you know, there's no game in here."[/QUOTE]

well some EB/GS's I call , the person on the other end SPEAKS SO FAST...its like
"Thank *#*# ......GAMESTOP......Where.........BUY.......DVD's.... This is .... How can I help you" Thats usually what I hear on my end that I could make out...anyways

[quote name='dwhelan']Depends on the product, we were not allowed to open the Maddens or Halo 2 shipments until midnight.[/QUOTE]

What are you guys...crazy?

How do you check in shipment? You have to count the stuff.

We can totally open the stuff early, you just can't display it out on the floor.

I still have to snicker at all the pomp and circumstance over the Madden release this year. My local GS had a boombox blaring some of the typical 'fight' songs played during some football games.

I hate to say this people, but ITS THE SAME $(&#in' GAME EVERY YEAR PEOPLE!!! Sure, theres some roster changes, but nothing a well connected XBox or PS2 couldn't simply download for a fee from EA's servers.

Then again, then EA wouldn't make millions on the poor suckers every year, if they did only that.

What I laugh at though, are the people who will wait 6 months to try and trade this new game in and find it's worth a piddily 50 cents or so.

The laws of supply and demand truly suck, as people who blow through a $50 game within a week to two weeks of release get the most and also help to flood the used game market and DROP the trade value for people like ME, who keep their games the aforementioned 6 months at least.

But hey, if you have 50 smackers to squander on a game to only breeze through it and not go for the elusive 100% completion(like I often try for anymore, damn you GTA III for telling me how much of the game I had completed), then more power to you. I'm sure these folks are the ones that the gaming industry LOVE.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No worse than the stupid questions I get now.

[/quote]

Considering half the games I buy from GS/EB are stickered a higher price than what they are, it doesn't seem very stupid to me at all.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I still have to snicker at all the pomp and circumstance over the Madden release this year. My local GS had a boombox blaring some of the typical 'fight' songs played during some football games.

I hate to say this people, but ITS THE SAME $(&#in' GAME EVERY YEAR PEOPLE!!! Sure, theres some roster changes, but nothing a well connected XBox or PS2 couldn't simply download for a fee from EA's servers.

Then again, then EA wouldn't make millions on the poor suckers every year, if they did only that.

What I laugh at though, are the people who will wait 6 months to try and trade this new game in and find it's worth a piddily 50 cents or so.

The laws of supply and demand truly suck, as people who blow through a $50 game within a week to two weeks of release get the most and also help to flood the used game market and DROP the trade value for people like ME, who keep their games the aforementioned 6 months at least.

But hey, if you have 50 smackers to squander on a game to only breeze through it and not go for the elusive 100% completion(like I often try for anymore, damn you GTA III for telling me how much of the game I had completed), then more power to you. I'm sure these folks are the ones that the gaming industry LOVE.[/quote]

You don't know the true point of madden do you? Madden is a game where your not supposed to get every single madden card. Madden isn't a game where you're supposed to unlock every player and every team. Madden is a game where you play with your friends.If you dont have friends then play online, where it is possible to meet friends. The only mode in Madden that you should play by youself is superstar mode. Also, what is the point of trading in madden? You even know that its not going to be worth much because other people trade it in a couple days after it comes out, and if your worried about the price just wait a month or two and buy Madden for 30$. 1 last thing, one of the biggest parts of madden is the roster changes, and there are alot more roster changes then you think. A few amount of people only buy the game just to see what roster changes were made.

The true idiots are the ones who say Madden is nothing but a roster update. By the same token, Halo 2 was nothing but new maps. We Love Katamari was nothing but new levels to do the same exact thing in.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The true idiots are the ones who say Madden is nothing but a roster update. By the same token, Halo 2 was nothing but new maps. We Love Katamari was nothing but new levels to do the same exact thing in.[/QUOTE]

well i hate madden because its overpriced, overrated shit that EA sports gives us every year.

Every sport game ever made is the same to me...I guess if I was excited about sports, I'd geek out about new release sport games...but being the cheapass that I am...I'd probably wait 3 months and grab Madden for $10 from some one once the EB/GS trade value dropped to around $5. I don't care how great a game is...I don't pay $40-50 for any game ever, especially if I know it's going to be bargain bin material in less than a year.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Any word on GS accepting Wii or PS3 pre-orders yet?[/quote]Just had someone ask me about this yesterday (well, the Wii). I found no way of doing a pre-order for it, and didn't see PS3 listed either. There was a section in the reserve menu for systems which I don't recall being there before, but maybe I just noticed it for the first time. Only the new Onyx and pink (whatever it's being called) colored DS Lite's showed up there. Upon a search for Wii in current available inventory, I did find accesories (such as the powerglove that showed up on GS.com a while back), but no systems.
In short, not that I know of.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Any word on GS accepting Wii or PS3 pre-orders yet?[/QUOTE]

Until we have more info on the Wii, there will not be a reserve SKU for it. As for the PS3, GS is not taking reserve because they got burned on the 360. Also, it is forecasted that there will only be, at max, 8 ps3 at a single locale.

I went to a GS I used to live by that is right next to a pawn shop and the manager said that they have an agreement with the pawn shops in the area so that the pawn shops don't buy games.

Is it just me, or is that somewhat.... shady?

[quote name='Kayden']I went to a GS I used to live by that is right next to a pawn shop and the manager said that they have an agreement with the pawn shops in the area so that the pawn shops don't buy games.

Is it just me, or is that somewhat.... shady?[/quote]

No GS is just greedy...GS will get more income that way

[quote name='Kayden']I went to a GS I used to live by that is right next to a pawn shop and the manager said that they have an agreement with the pawn shops in the area so that the pawn shops don't buy games.

Is it just me, or is that somewhat.... shady?[/quote]

Usually it's part of the lease. As in if the GS was there first and the pawn shop comes in afterwards, there is a no compete clause in the lease. If the buildings aren't part of the same complex/landlord then anything is up for grabs.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Just had someone ask me about this yesterday (well, the Wii). I found no way of doing a pre-order for it, and didn't see PS3 listed either. There was a section in the reserve menu for systems which I don't recall being there before, but maybe I just noticed it for the first time. Only the new Onyx and pink (whatever it's being called) colored DS Lite's showed up there. Upon a search for Wii in current available inventory, I did find accesories (such as the powerglove that showed up on GS.com a while back), but no systems.
In short, not that I know of.[/quote]

The tabs on the preorder list will only show up if there is something that can be reserved in that section. It's always in the computer, but will not show if it is blank.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Now that we know the release date, are you taking pre-orders yet at GS for the Wii?[/QUOTE]

Not until Nintendo tells them how many the whole company is getting.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The true idiots are the ones who say Madden is nothing but a roster update. By the same token, Halo 2 was nothing but new maps. We Love Katamari was nothing but new levels to do the same exact thing in.[/quote]

Not really. Halo 2 added hosts of improvements over the original, yet new Maddens dont offer anything other years havent except for new stats and new cover art.

[quote name='Rozz']Not really. Halo 2 added hosts of improvements over the original, yet new Maddens dont offer anything other years havent except for new stats and new cover art.[/quote]I've always wondered what the appeal is of sports titles... vanillagorilla said that it's more than justs a roster update... but Rozz says differently. I've always figured it was updated roster, and probably some improved graphics and maybe gameplay, but worth $40 or $50? Especially when in a year it will be about $10, maybe less? What is the appeal?

Madden is life. It's a game that basically anyone can enjoy (and most do) and can be played for an entire year (or more if you don't by the new one) without getting old. By the time the new one comes out, you should've gotten your $50-60 worth.

I don't know, I have a hard time accepting that. But then, I don't care about sports much to begin with.
But I think the more pressing question is, not is it worth the $40, but is it worth it each year? sure maybe you got $40 worth of gamee from 2006, but is another $40 worth it for 2007? Its fundamentally the same game. I think this is one genre that can really be successfull with microtransactions and updates over the internet. But of course it will be both ways (updates and then a new game each year), because that's where the money is. And then the updates are cut off for previous years model.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I don't know, I have a hard time accepting that. But then, I don't care about sports much to begin with.
But I think the more pressing question is, not is it worth the $40, but is it worth it each year? sure maybe you got $40 worth of gamee from 2006, but is another $40 worth it for 2007? Its fundamentally the same game. I think this is one genre that can really be successfull with microtransactions and updates over the internet. But of course it will be both ways (updates and then a new game each year), because that's where the money is. And then the updates are cut off for previous years model.[/quote]

No, I bought Madden 2003. Then two years later I got Madden 05 because I thought they would have had to imrpove it somehow, but nope. It's the SAME EXACT DAMN GAME AS BEFORE. I should have just kept 2003 and saved the cash.

Do trade-in prices vary from store to store, state to state, city to city, etc.?

I'd really like to know if there are regional differences and what determines when prices usually drop/increase. Does the amount of stock have an effect? Also, would it go down temorarily (or permamently) if there was a promo running like the current 3 for $10 extra deal?

Would you, or anyone else that works at GS/EB, be so kind as to check on the trade-in price for Need for Speed Most Wanted XBOX for your store(s) and report back here?

It's still bugging me that I think I got kind of a low trade-in price for it when it's still selling new for $40 retail. Maybe it was bad timing. I dunno.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

eta: My cousin traded it in and it's now 6 bucks! At least I got 8. LOL. Still sucks.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Do trade-in prices vary from store to store, state to state, city to city, etc.?

I'd really like to know if there are regional differences and what determines when prices usually drop/increase. Does the amount of stock have an effect? Also, would it go down temorarily (or permamently) if there was a promo running like the current 3 for $10 extra deal?

Would you, or anyone else that works at GS/EB, be so kind as to check on the trade-in price for Need for Speed Most Wanted XBOX for your store(s) and report back here?

It's still bugging me that I think I got kind of a low trade-in price for it when it's still selling new for $40 retail. Maybe it was bad timing. I dunno.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, trade-in prices at GS/EB are universal for the most part. As for NFS Most Wanted, the trade-in price might be higher if each of the stores didn't have twenty-plus copies of it.

[quote name='Kuros']It's considered new because it's unplayed. If you want a discount, nicely (emphasis on the nicely) ask if they can get you a 10% discount because it's an open box item. We can do that, but if you get mean, then forget it. I've had people start complaining before I even got to the discount and I think to myself "Forget the discount." and they pay full price.

As for people trading in disc only games, it happens more than you think. Usually they bring them in a CD case or just by themselves. Unfortunally in my opinion, we do give them the same amount for disc only or complete. I wish we could deduct for not having case and/or the manual.[/quote]

Cool so I can take a open but never played game and get full price...:roll:

That is my biggest complaint about this company and it seems I always seem to get that last one...yea right ..lol

[quote name='Sub_Zero_TGN']Cool so I can take a open but never played game and get full price...:roll:

That is my biggest complaint about this company and it seems I always seem to get that last one...yea right ..lol[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with the policy either.

[quote name='RepoMan']Cool so I can take a open but never played game and get full price...:roll:

That is my biggest complaint about this company and it seems I always seem to get that last one...yea right ..lol[/quote]
I dont even bother buying from EBGames anymore, their used games are HIGHLY overpriced ($27 for Mario Kart Double Dash? No thanks) and worse yet, their new games always somehow seem to be either re-sealed or opened. What a coincidence :roll:

Also, their display copies ARE played. They let employees borrow them. They play them in the systems in the stores. And somehow they always scratch them. That, my friends, is not new. It's funny how if a box is opended at Toys R Us or Best Buy they put huge red stickers on it but at EB they just re seal it and act like nothing ever happened.

EBGames officially died in 2005.

[quote name='Rozz']I dont even bother buying from EBGames anymore, their used games are HIGHLY overpriced ($27 for Mario Kart Double Dash? No thanks) and worse yet, their new games always somehow seem to be either re-sealed or opened. What a coincidence :roll:[/quote] I agree, but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. I would probably charge that much for it as well. With most of the popular titles, they are priced $3-$5 less used. It sucks but the stores aren't there to make people happy; that's the sad but true fact of business. And jut because you (and I, for that matter), aren't going to buy Double Dash for $27 doesn't mean someone else won't, and they do.

Also, their display copies ARE played. They let employees borrow them. They play them in the systems in the stores.
I don't know hwo ebgames works, but at my Gamestop:
1) The demo systems are locked, and only have the demo discs sent to us in them.
2) I'm too busy working to stand around playing a game.

We don't have any extra systems in the back or anything either (although another store I know of does...). I suppose if we had some systems set up in back we could play them on our breaks. But I think we'd still have to play the used games. I guess that doesn't mean other stores don't do it.

My point just totally turned itself around there. WTF!

why are managers at GS so mean to their employees. Just today they were just viscious to this girl that just started there. It's like some sort of fraternity hazing or something?

Im filling out an app and I am kinda unsure what they are asking for "Game software knowledge?" They already asked for system knowlegde and I just list the systems I know, but with "Game software knowledge?" Do I list the systems where I know the software/games of the system or do I list specific games??? OR do I put: "great, good, moderate etc. Thanks

[quote name='kevzik']Im filling out an app and I am kinda unsure what they are asking for "Game software knowledge?" They already asked for system knowlegde and I just list the systems I know, but with "Game software knowledge?" Do I list the systems where I know the software/games of the system or do I list specific games??? OR do I put: "great, good, moderate etc. Thanks[/quote]
After doing some thinking, I think you will impress them more and make your application stand out compared to others if you give some specifics that cater to your tastes and expertise rather than just writing "good, moderate, etc."

For example, I enjoy RPGS and adventure games so I would put something like this: Extensive knowledge in Japanese RPGS (SNES to PS2 eras, main focus in Square Enix and Namco). Sufficient experience in text and adventure games such as classic LucasArts (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle) and current text adventures (Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory). Basically ask yourself, what do you have to offer? They want to make sure if a customer has a question about a game, you'll know what to tell them.

Just try to make it sound more professional and your application will stand out. And even though you aren't going for a high profile job at a law firm, the manager will see your desire to work as reflected by your effort in the application.

[quote name='icecubedx5']
For example, I enjoy RPGS and adventure games so I would put something like this: Extensive knowledge in Japanese RPGS (SNES to PS2 eras, main focus in Square Enix and Namco). Sufficient experience in text and adventure games such as classic LucasArts (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle) and current text adventures (Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory). Basically ask yourself, what do you have to offer? They want to make sure if a customer has a question about a game, you'll know what to tell them.
[/QUOTE]

EB / GS don't care about any of that... they don't care if you're into old ass SNES RPG's, they only care that you'll be willing to sell whatever flavor of the month game they need to push and that you'll make sure to get your quotas on preorders and trade-in's.

Like I read elsewhere, they'll look more at your work history than this stuff. Someone with an extensive work history and no gaming knowledge will get the win over someone with a few jobs but a history of gaming every single time.

Shit, if you have enough job experience you could probably just write "None" under that section and still get hired. It would certainly explain 90% of the people I see working at EB / GS.

And if a customer has a question about a game, you'll tell them what EB / GS wants you to tell them. I constantly see employees get out of questions, they'll say "Well, I heard it was good, there are so many games out I don't have time to play them all, but I think you'll really like that one!"

Most customers I encounter want to know about sports, racing, fighting, or shooters, the genres I hate most (shooters are okay sometimes). And since I basically only play my DS Lite, I can offer help to apparently no one since Nintendo is for 'kiddies'. Ugh.
So yah game knowledge is totally irrelevant, especially since most of it comes down to matter of opinion and taste anyway, which are subjective. Get used to saying "I've heard it's great!" as Roufuss mentioned.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Most customers I encounter want to know about sports, racing, fighting, or shooters, the genres I hate most (shooters are okay sometimes). And since I basically only play my DS Lite, I can offer help to apparently no one since Nintendo is for 'kiddies'. Ugh.
So yah game knowledge is totally irrelevant, especially since most of it comes down to matter of opinion and taste anyway, which are subjective. Get used to saying "I've heard it's great!" as Roufuss mentioned.[/QUOTE]
Fighting?? Really when I managed at a few diffrent EB/GS it was either Mature games anything to do with or close to GTA and sports. If something came out action wise people were all over it. And then you had the parents who did really know anything and were there for there kids. But yeah nobody looks at that part of the app. All they want to know is if you can push product or not.

[quote name='DomLando']Fighting??[/quote]I had a guy the other day that wanted brawler type games and when I told him it's not my thing he gives me derisive comment about me being one of those "D&D guys", which I think meant someone that plays RPG's s I don't play D&D at all.
At any rate, yeah they all want mature and GTA style games, for what reason is beyond me. I can only take so much enjoyment out of stealing cars and beating up hookers. But my friend has San Andreas and the amount of stuff to do (eating different foods to change character stats I think was something he showed me) is pretty neat.

im trying to get a job around my town, and it looks like GS or EB is one of my last choices since no one else has called me back for grocery stores or electronics stores like best buy and circuit city. How much do they usually pay when you start. (JW just in case i do get a job there.)

This is fucking TWICE now. It's partly my fault, I guess, but it's inexcusable to only sell half the product.

It clearly says on the UPC "Gameboy Micro w/ AC". This means the employee is supposed to include an AC adapter. This is the second time I have bought a used handheld and they never bothered to give me a charger. Of course, I forgot to ask but I'd be literally better off buying one on eBay for the money it takes me to drive there.

I thought I was getting a really good deal at my local Gamestop--a GB Micro Famicom edition for $49. Instead I got ripped off again by Gamestop.

Just go back and ask for the charger, i am sure they will give it to you no problem, or call them first to make sure they have the charger.

They should have a charger, since they are not allowed to accept used gba sp's, ds/dsl's or any other handheld that uses a charger without one, i have seen kids come in with gba sp's and get turned down for trade in many times because they do not have a charger with the system.

Hate to resurrect this old thread, but I lost my GS card a few weeks ago. At one store I was able to buy a game with store credit by showing an older receipt with my last known balance. But I got rejected at another store. I became a member only a few months ago so I don't want to shell out another $15 for a new account (considering I don't want double the Game Informer magazines). Is there a way to get a replacement? It isn't like me to lose something like this so I'm twice as disappointed.

[quote name='konicki465']im trying to get a job around my town, and it looks like GS or EB is one of my last choices since no one else has called me back for grocery stores or electronics stores like best buy and circuit city. How much do they usually pay when you start. (JW just in case i do get a job there.)[/QUOTE]

Whatever your state minimum wage is.

[quote name='Kendro']Hate to resurrect this old thread, but I lost my GS card a few weeks ago. At one store I was able to buy a game with store credit by showing an older receipt with my last known balance. But I got rejected at another store. I became a member only a few months ago so I don't want to shell out another $15 for a new account (considering I don't want double the Game Informer magazines). Is there a way to get a replacement? It isn't like me to lose something like this so I'm twice as disappointed.[/quote]

From what I have heard them tell other people, take the Game Informer magazine in. It has your member number on it. They should be able to get you another card.

[quote name='schuerm26']From what I have heard them tell other people, take the Game Informer magazine in. It has your member number on it. They should be able to get you another card.[/QUOTE]

Either that or just use the number on the label. I'd just cut off the label.

I just got the edge card, and they didnt ask for my address or anything, how am I suppose to get the game informer, just pick it up at the store every month?

[quote name='classact']I just got the edge card, and they didnt ask for my address or anything, how am I suppose to get the game informer, just pick it up at the store every month?[/quote]

Odd, they took my name and addy when I created my membership account. Unless all they did is put store credit from your trade-ins onto an EDGE card and give that to you? You did pay $15 right?

[quote name='classact']I just got the edge card, and they didnt ask for my address or anything, how am I suppose to get the game informer, just pick it up at the store every month?[/QUOTE]

Did you trade-in at the same time? If so they may have just got you're address from that.

do you guys check the condition of the games before you buy them from the customer? Cause I've bought a few games that look like crap, very scratched and what not. And I've heard you guys shrinkwrap used games and sell them as new. Is this true?

[quote name='kube00']do you guys check the condition of the games before you buy them from the customer? Cause I've bought a few games that look like crap, very scratched and what not. And I've heard you guys shrinkwrap used games and sell them as new. Is this true?[/QUOTE]

Did you bother to read the thread or do you just expect an easy answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back