You guys want the truth about GS? Ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
agreed.

and :lol: @ how your sig has taken a 180. it used to be "almost to 1000" right?

[quote name='Roufuss']I've never seen someone take so much pride at working at Gamestop... I wonder if McDonald's workers care about their job so much?

"Where are you McDonald's haters going to get McGriddles from now, huh? That's right, bitches, NOWHERE".

I've just never seen someone defend a retail position so fiercely in my entire life.. it kind of seems odd.

I mean, oh no, I have to buy something now from EB / GS, it's only the third new game purchase I'll have made all year, and I guess it balances out all the times I've taken advantage of them.[/QUOTE]

Oh no u dint!?!

Haha, just kidding, I just thought all of the people who go "Omg gs iz da suk!" and then spew random crap should have a little education shoved down their necks.

I don't like being grouped into the "asshole worker" group.

[quote name='Apossum']OH NO HE DI'NT

seriously, let's just kill this thread. we can fight with gizomgc and radioactive_man in every other thread that pops up in the deal discussion forum.[/QUOTE]

:p

if you want to shop at the store that fines, all this fighting is just for fun, well to me atleast.

Radioactive likes to work there, and he takes it personal when someone attacks what he does for a living. It is only a natural reaction.

He is a good employee, if only he can get a burrito order correct.

Gamestop is not the anti-christ dammit. It's a public company just like every other big B+M you guys shop at, get gas from, get a burger from and all it really cares about is the bottom line. If the biggest injustice you percieve coming from the corporate pool is a new game that someone opened, get your fucking eyes checked.

And just so you know I worked for the company for 5 years and quit recently 'cause they, once again like most corporations, are shitty to work for, but the chain and more importantly the employees shouldn't be vilified just cause some virginal nerds want to be the first to break your games metaphorical hyman.

Oh and guess what, some of those open games were taken home by employees and played then sold as new. How can you ever look your copy of MGS3:S in the eyes again, knowing it's secret shame....

[quote name='yellowcoward']If the biggest injustice you percieve coming from the corporate pool is a new game that someone opened, get your fucking eyes checked.
....just cause some virginal nerds want to be the first to break your games metaphorical hyman.
...Oh and guess what, some of those open games were taken home by employees and played then sold as new. How can you ever look your copy of MGS3:S in the eyes again, knowing it's secret shame....[/quote]

You contradicted yourself there. It's not that there isn't a plastic wrapper on the game, its that it was manhandled and USED already - and from other people's examples, scratched to hell.

[quote name='yellowcoward']Gamestop is not the anti-christ dammit. It's a public company just like every other big B+M you guys shop at, get gas from, get a burger from and all it really cares about is the bottom line. If the biggest injustice you percieve coming from the corporate pool is a new game that someone opened, get your fucking eyes checked.
quote]

If you bought a new car, but the car salesmen took it home for a few days, drove it all around, and fucked his girlfriend in the back seat, and then brought it back to the lot and handed it over to you, is that okay?

If the cashier at the burger joint reaches into my bag, and grabs a handful of fries and stuffs them into their mouth before they hand me the bag and my change, is that okay?

Just wondering at what point I get my eyes checked and at what point Im getting bent over. :roll:

[quote name='Puffa469'][quote name='yellowcoward']Gamestop is not the anti-christ dammit. It's a public company just like every other big B+M you guys shop at, get gas from, get a burger from and all it really cares about is the bottom line. If the biggest injustice you percieve coming from the corporate pool is a new game that someone opened, get your fucking eyes checked.
quote]

If you bought a new car, but the car salesmen took it home for a few days, drove it all around, and fucked his girlfriend in the back seat, and then brought it back to the lot and handed it over to you, is that okay?

If the cashier at the burger joint reaches into my bag, and grabs a handful of fries and stuffs them into their mouth before they hand me the bag and my change, is that okay?

Just wondering at what point I get my eyes checked and at what point Im getting bent over. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Sadly some people do that (use new cars at random). But it's equally wrong, just harder to perceive since cars don't come with a plastic wrapping.

[quote name='nosuchsoul']
He is a good employee, if only he can get a burrito order correct.[/QUOTE]

gsvery-happy.gif

you buy your own food now

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']:p

if you want to shop at the store that fines, all this fighting is just for fun, well to me atleast.[/QUOTE]

that's cool. at least every post you make on CAG isn't defending gamestop in some way and condescending cags and other customers (unlike some other people...COUGH AHEM.)

I gotta laugh at the car analogy someone used. You better believe that some dealerships allow employees to take home cars too. And God only knows what some of them do in them.

As for me, I'm thinking about taking my GC games I bought really cheap from the Kmart clearance and Toys R Us(Geist,Baten Kaitos, Street Racing Syndicate and some other game) to EB/GS while their '4 gets $10 extra trade credit deal is still going.

But, I'm going to do it DISC ONLY!!!! Muahahahahahaahhaha!! Thing is, once I get rid of those 3-4 games, I'll only have ONE GC game left(that being GUN).

I just want to see what kind of look disc only game traders get when they bring in their scratched up coasters they call game discs.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I gotta laugh at the car analogy someone used. You better believe that some dealerships allow employees to take home cars too. And God only knows what some of them do in them.

As for me, I'm thinking about taking my GC games I bought really cheap from the Kmart clearance and Toys R Us(Geist,Baten Kaitos, Street Racing Syndicate and some other game) to EB/GS while their '4 gets $10 extra trade credit deal is still going.

But, I'm going to do it DISC ONLY!!!! Muahahahahahaahhaha!! Thing is, once I get rid of those 3-4 games, I'll only have ONE GC game left(that being GUN).

I just want to see what kind of look disc only game traders get when they bring in their scratched up coasters they call game discs.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a pretty evil plan. You go girl.

[quote name='Apossum']agreed.

and :lol: @ how your sig has taken a 180. it used to be "almost to 1000" right?[/QUOTE]

It sure did, and guess where all the shitty games I wouldn't make a dollar on ended up? Right at Gamestop taking advantage of these trade-in deals, and those same games are still on the shelfs for the most part.

The best part is they paid about $3 per game, when I'd barely make $1 on Ebay.

Does it matter the location of a paticular GS/EB I return a game to that I brought from another GS/EB? In other words, can I buy a game from one GS and return it to another GS that is much closer to me? Thanks ahead and sorry if this has been asked before.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Does it matter the location of a paticular GS/EB I return a game to that I brought from another GS/EB? In other words, can I buy a game from one GS and return it to another GS that is much closer to me? Thanks ahead and sorry if this has been asked before.[/quote]

No, it doesn't. I returned various titles I purchased from one GS to one closer to me.

Actually this is a kind of specific question. What were you guys instructed to do with your N-gage demo units?
I was thinking I would go to my local GS or EB and ask if they had one I could have!

Thread reminds me after a visit to EB today...

What exactly is the deal with the hold drawer/cabinet? Is that all employee holds, and what is the policy as far as asking for them?

The one time I've dealt with it, the guy was nice enough to offer me stuff that he had on hold (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, amongst others) when I didn't even specifically ask for them. But while I was trading stuff in there today, someone was calling about some FF games, and one of the guys checked the cabinet to see if they were in there.

Saw a complete Boktai offhand, I might debate getting that at some point.

[quote name='texasmonky']Actually this is a kind of specific question. What were you guys instructed to do with your N-gage demo units?
I was thinking I would go to my local GS or EB and ask if they had one I could have![/QUOTE]

No harm in asking really. Go for it.

As for holds, depends on the manager. Some will allow holds, some wont. Usually it's only for a set time period though.

Thanks Kain Vincent
Kuros and anyone else who knows this, I got two questions for ya:
I remember hearing that used games have a higher price than their new equivalents, does this mean a new copy of Lost Vikings for GBA will be less than the used version of it?
Also, I've never purchased a used GBA game do they have the barcode sticker to scan on the back of the cartridge or do they just enter the price manually?

anotherpoorgamer: I got you covered there.

1) Lately it has been happening more that we see a New Game get discounted but the Used not. I know when God of War dropped the 20 bucks, the used game did not immediately drop. If you see that go for the new. The only reason I can see buying a used game over the new (other then the 5 dollar difference) is that you can return them if you do not like them)

2) All GBA games are in the system, procedure for GS stores is to put the yellow sticker on the corner (away from from the label art) and then the usually Bar code/price sticker on the back.

TexasMonkey: Good luck with finding the demo units, all the stores in my former district were told to send them back. The only N-gage stuff you should see now are the few unlucky stores saddled with selling the leftover stock. The funny part is while the new games are about 6.99ish the system is still 100 bucks because they are all the pre-paid systems. I don't think they will ever sell, but if they drop I am jumping on one.

Thanks dwhelan, I was hoping the new copies would be cheaper than the new ones since they don't show up anymore on the website compared to their used counterparts. My understanding is now that the new games are in the system and that they won't be cheaper than the used just a little more expensive like normally.

Also, GS has been pumping some prices up lately.

No longer is FFX considered new at any time, it's used for $20 now. :/

[quote name='Kuros']Also, GS has been pumping some prices up lately.

No longer is FFX considered new at any time, it's used for $20 now. :/[/QUOTE]

Do they still produce the Greatest Hits version? I havnt seem one in a long time.

Will Gamestop take back the PsOne and N64 games I bought recently or does the "we're not taking those anymore" apply a.k.a. no refund even if within a week of purchase?
I'm wondering this because I may pass on picking any of these up if I can't return them anymore, regardless if its defective.

Why are SOME gamespot employees so stupid that I have to be on the phone for 30 minutes as they constantly deny donkey konga coming with bongos, only 30 minutes later to find out I was correct in the first 15 seconds of the phone call that it does come with bongos during the 10 dollar deal in Canada?

[quote name='Spades22']Why are SOME gamespot employees so stupid that I have to be on the phone for 30 minutes as they constantly deny donkey konga coming with bongos, only 30 minutes later to find out I was correct in the first 15 seconds of the phone call that it does come with bongos during the 10 dollar deal in Canada?[/quote]

Heh when I phoned them I asked if they could quickly check how many copies of Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat they had in stock. I could hear the girl asking her coworker for the game "code" to search for it or something...

Then apparently she was helping out another customer and hearing her help some kid trying to explain what a game is about...lol after 5-10 minutes of waiting for a quick inventory check, I just gave up and hung up the phone. It's too bad there were 2 people working as well...guess they were REALLY busy, since the other EB's I called gave me an answer in like 30 seconds :p

And yes, I've had them tell me it doesn't come with bongos the night before, only to tell me that it does come with bongos the next morning when I phoned again.

so EB follows GS used policy on games now (return within 7 days if you don't want it for any reason)? I bought 2 used get 1 free last month from the sale at EB they placed stickers on the ouside part saying can't return if seal is broken.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Will Gamestop take back the PsOne and N64 games I bought recently or does the "we're not taking those anymore" apply a.k.a. no refund even if within a week of purchase?
I'm wondering this because I may pass on picking any of these up if I can't return them anymore, regardless if its defective.[/QUOTE]

No, you can still return them because you bought the games from there.

Now if you wanted to trade them, then you can't do it.

[quote name='CaoPi']so EB follows GS used policy on games now (return within 7 days if you don't want it for any reason)? I bought 2 used get 1 free last month from the sale at EB they placed stickers on the ouside part saying can't return if seal is broken.[/QUOTE]

Yea, they should follow the same policy.

And I never understood that, it's a damn used game.

:/

If I wanted to use the $20.00 extra trade in coupon (on game systems) when I trade in my PS2, could I then take the trade in credit to another store and ask them to convert it back into cash (thus netting about $15.00 or so)?

IOW, if I get store credit, can I ever ask for it in cash?

[quote name='suffah']Can I trade in a game for store credit if the UPC/barcode is missing?[/quote]

You can trade in a game if you only have the disc, so yea

[quote name='Veritas1204']If I wanted to use the $20.00 extra trade in coupon (on game systems) when I trade in my PS2, could I then take the trade in credit to another store and ask them to convert it back into cash (thus netting about $15.00 or so)?

IOW, if I get store credit, can I ever ask for it in cash?[/QUOTE]

No, once Gamebuck are issued there is no turning back and no store will convert them. Plus you should be ashamed of yourself, that is called stealing.

As for the returning PS1/N64 games, it should be the same as usual. The stores are just saying they will not accept trades anymore.

Finally (it is soapbox time) I know at my store we would rarely do anything for a person on the phone unless the store was dead. The people that took there time to come down to the store take position above any callers, not to mention that the GS stock locator is usually reliable. Honestly, I always hated when people would call in specifically for trade in prices, because they feel whatever they are told at that moment is good for their lifetime and we have had several customer come in trying to quote a phone conversation. PHONE CALLERS ARE NOT MORE IMPORTANT THEN ACTUALLY PEOPLE. sorry.

no offense man, but GS has stolen more from me in terms of low buyback prices/ high resale prices than I could EVER get back from them. I could honestly say that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I was acutally able to make the deal work. Besides, they would still get almost twice the price they were paying me for my PS2 by reselling it.

But thanks for the anwser, I really appriciate it. It's good to have someone here who can anwser policy questions.

V

[quote name='dwhelan']
Finally (it is soapbox time) I know at my store we would rarely do anything for a person on the phone unless the store was dead. The people that took there time to come down to the store take position above any callers, not to mention that the GS stock locator is usually reliable. Honestly, I always hated when people would call in specifically for trade in prices, because they feel whatever they are told at that moment is good for their lifetime and we have had several customer come in trying to quote a phone conversation. PHONE CALLERS ARE NOT MORE IMPORTANT THEN ACTUALLY PEOPLE. sorry.[/QUOTE]
The stores are always dead. And frankly, if I go into the store with games to check trade-in prices, when I have no intention of trading in at that moment (which is usually when I try calling), I am wasting their time just as much. It just so happens that I have to waste my time as well. If you need to put me on hold for 5 minutes until you're done checking someone out, that's fine. But we all know that they don't give trade values over the phone because there is a higher chance of someone trading in a game regardless of the value once they take the time to come to the store.

Well then you do not live in the area I worked at. In my district I had the #1 store in the company and my store was always in the top ten for trade-ins and customer satifisfaction. It is very rare our store was not busy and when there were downtime, we were working on different things. I know I compiled a database for PC models so that when a person came in you could look by year and company and get an idea of what games the customers computer could play.

Honestly, I agree that gamestop does pay low amounts but there are a couple things to consider.
a) they are a business, you cannot stay in business if you give away money
b) when you decide to sell something, then the store is not stealing from you, you made that decision to give it away. You at anytime during the transaction can decide to not trade.
c) The company has to be able to pay their employees, the rent on the store, insurance, etc. All the cost of running a business.

I keep hearing about if you buy something in-store with GameBucks, there is no tax.

Is this true? Does it apply to only used games/systems? Or does it also apply to new games/systems?

Does the computer take-off the taxes automatically when the CSR scans the GameBucks voucher or does he/she need to manually remove the charged tax?

Thanks.

[quote name='unforeseen']I keep hearing about if you buy something in-store with GameBucks, there is no tax.

Is this true? Does it apply to only used games/systems? Or does it also apply to new games/systems?

Does the computer take-off the taxes automatically when the CSR scans the GameBucks voucher or does he/she need to manually remove the charged tax?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The answer is Yes and No.... :)

When you buy something using only gamebucks, tax is negated not because you are using gamesbucks, but because you paid tax on the previous items you traded in.

The computer should do this automaticly, only once in three years have I seen it not and I ironed out the problem. (It is actually how I got my permanent job at GS, good times.)

[quote name='dwhelan']The answer is Yes and No.... :)

When you buy something using only gamebucks, tax is negated not because you are using gamesbucks, but because you paid tax on the previous items you traded in.

The computer should do this automaticly, only once in three years have I seen it not and I ironed out the problem. (It is actually how I got my permanent job at GS, good times.)[/quote]

And this is on a state by state basis. In some localities, you pay sales tax no matter what.

What are Gamebucks? Is this what they give you when you trade-in games, Gamestop's version of money? At my Gamestop, I've only seen a paper receipt stating your credit. Thanks ahead, sorry if this has been asked already.

[quote name='sesshoumarusama']I want to know is what kind of wadge does a Gamestop Manager Make? Is it really worth working 60+ hours[/QUOTE]

Come on now, you should already know the answer to that.

[quote name='sesshoumarusama']I want to know is what kind of wadge does a Gamestop Manager Make? Is it really worth working 60+ hours[/QUOTE]

I varys based on experience, store sales, area, etc. Most make between $12-$18 an hour.

I am a store manager w/ GameStop and I can tell you I do not work 60+ hrs a week (its 44-48), except christmas (and even then it was only 10 more). If you can't get your job done in 40 it doesn't matter how much you work you will always be behind. And sometimes you wonder why people complain because there is no where good to shop locally sometimes (this statement depends on where you live), and that is because of overhead. all these companies (or individually) owned stores that have been bought out or shut down is because it costs alot to keep it afloat. If every one would start only buying online to companies you do not know (or have never heard of, and I am not saying that they are all bad), you would have no where to shop locally. its the price of admission. I have shopped at software ect/babbages/gamestop/eb since probally 1993/1994 and i know that there have been better deals out there for trading/buying games at times, but i would rather go in and talk to a person than buy something off the internet (and I am not saying i do not buy online, i only buy online if i can't get it locally). And no i am not rich, i live paycheck to paycheck like most do, if i have a problem with a store/company i express my feelings towards that and if they do not improve i go somewhere else. I have stopped shopping at walmart (not because i am afraid of the prices falling on me j/k), but because they have turned a good company into a retail cattle barn. no one knows what they are talking about (if you can find them), at first i liked the automated check out (i admit, i thought it was sweet), then i thought about how many people they cut out inorder to stream line. even mcdonalds has automatic drink dispensers (give me a break every kid in america knows how to operate a soda fountain) because it saves man hours. so what do you think will happen when the internet gets over the 50-60% market share hump for retail sales (and i am not talking just video games), business will cut back more, more people will loose jobs, and someone you never meet or may even never talks too gets the money. of course you get it for 25% off everytime, thats because they do not employ upwards of 20000-60000 employees like most do (they may only have a few hundred if that). and enjoy the no tax as well, because that will change soon too. well i am sorry if i went on a rampage, i had this debate w/ one of my regulars who like to debate, i am just saying that when i grew up wanted to be a toys r us kid, there is no way that my son/daughter will grow up to be an amazon.com one.

[quote name='freestyledust77']I am a store manager w/ GameStop and I can tell you I do not work 60+ hrs a week (its 44-48), except christmas (and even then it was only 10 more). If you can't get your job done in 40 it doesn't matter how much you work you will always be behind. And sometimes you wonder why people complain because there is no where good to shop locally sometimes (this statement depends on where you live), and that is because of overhead. all these companies (or individually) owned stores that have been bought out or shut down is because it costs alot to keep it afloat. If every one would start only buying online to companies you do not know (or have never heard of, and I am not saying that they are all bad), you would have no where to shop locally. its the price of admission. I have shopped at software ect/babbages/gamestop/eb since probally 1993/1994 and i know that there have been better deals out there for trading/buying games at times, but i would rather go in and talk to a person than buy something off the internet (and I am not saying i do not buy online, i only buy online if i can't get it locally). And no i am not rich, i live paycheck to paycheck like most do, if i have a problem with a store/company i express my feelings towards that and if they do not improve i go somewhere else. I have stopped shopping at walmart (not because i am afraid of the prices falling on me j/k), but because they have turned a good company into a retail cattle barn. no one knows what they are talking about (if you can find them), at first i liked the automated check out (i admit, i thought it was sweet), then i thought about how many people they cut out inorder to stream line. even mcdonalds has automatic drink dispensers (give me a break every kid in america knows how to operate a soda fountain) because it saves man hours. so what do you think will happen when the internet gets over the 50-60% market share hump for retail sales (and i am not talking just video games), business will cut back more, more people will loose jobs, and someone you never meet or may even never talks too gets the money. of course you get it for 25% off everytime, thats because they do not employ upwards of 20000-60000 employees like most do (they may only have a few hundred if that). and enjoy the no tax as well, because that will change soon too. well i am sorry if i went on a rampage, i had this debate w/ one of my regulars who like to debate, i am just saying that when i grew up wanted to be a toys r us kid, there is no way that my son/daughter will grow up to be an amazon.com one.[/quote]
I could only read 5 lines of that before my brain started hemorrhaging. Big WALL-O-TEXT. Seriously though paragraphs are useful.

[quote name='freestyledust77']I am a store manager w/ GameStop and I can tell you I do not work 60+ hrs a week (its 44-48), except christmas (and even then it was only 10 more). If you can't get your job done in 40 it doesn't matter how much you work you will always be behind. And sometimes you wonder why people complain because there is no where good to shop locally sometimes (this statement depends on where you live), and that is because of overhead. all these companies (or individually) owned stores that have been bought out or shut down is because it costs alot to keep it afloat. If every one would start only buying online to companies you do not know (or have never heard of, and I am not saying that they are all bad), you would have no where to shop locally. its the price of admission. I have shopped at software ect/babbages/gamestop/eb since probally 1993/1994 and i know that there have been better deals out there for trading/buying games at times, but i would rather go in and talk to a person than buy something off the internet (and I am not saying i do not buy online, i only buy online if i can't get it locally). And no i am not rich, i live paycheck to paycheck like most do, if i have a problem with a store/company i express my feelings towards that and if they do not improve i go somewhere else. I have stopped shopping at walmart (not because i am afraid of the prices falling on me j/k), but because they have turned a good company into a retail cattle barn. no one knows what they are talking about (if you can find them), at first i liked the automated check out (i admit, i thought it was sweet), then i thought about how many people they cut out inorder to stream line. even mcdonalds has automatic drink dispensers (give me a break every kid in america knows how to operate a soda fountain) because it saves man hours. so what do you think will happen when the internet gets over the 50-60% market share hump for retail sales (and i am not talking just video games), business will cut back more, more people will loose jobs, and someone you never meet or may even never talks too gets the money. of course you get it for 25% off everytime, thats because they do not employ upwards of 20000-60000 employees like most do (they may only have a few hundred if that). and enjoy the no tax as well, because that will change soon too. well i am sorry if i went on a rampage, i had this debate w/ one of my regulars who like to debate, i am just saying that when i grew up wanted to be a toys r us kid, there is no way that my son/daughter will grow up to be an amazon.com one.[/QUOTE]

Too bad the enter key isn't automatic for ya...

[quote name='freestyledust77']If every one would start only buying online to companies you do not know (or have never heard of, and I am not saying that they are all bad), you would have no where to shop locally. its the price of admission. I have shopped at software ect/babbages/gamestop/eb since probally 1993/1994 and i know that there have been better deals out there for trading/buying games at times, but i would rather go in and talk to a person than buy something off the internet (and I am not saying i do not buy online, i only buy online if i can't get it locally). [/quote]

I would rather buy things in a store in person, but this argument is ridiculous. Just because someone has a local store does not obligate you to shop there. The 'price of admission' does not excuse bad service, bad prices, and bad store policies.

Sometimes, I would rather talk to the internet than a person. Like the time an EB manager assured me that Nicktoons Party Blast would be the best choice for a birthday gift. IGN gave it a 1.1 So there's three possibilities -- he lied, he had never played the game, or he actually thought it was good. Of the three, the last is actually the most frightening. With recommendations like that, I might as well shop at Wal-Mart.

As a store manager, you should understand the concept that if customers are happy and your store offers a good value, people will shop there. Gamestop has some serious problems with both of those concepts.

The way things are shaping now, it is easier than ever to sell and trade stuff over the Internet. Even if Gamestop is the only store local to you, it is no longer the only option. As a store manager, you should understand the concept that if customers are happy and your store offers a good value, people will shop there, no matter what the Internet offers.

So Gamestop should be very afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back