Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

[quote name='wiggyx']You know, this is an interesting point in that I think what you're doing is actually legal. It's been a while since I looked at piracy laws regarding software, but last time I did, owning ONE backup of any piece of software that you own/own a license for is perfectly kosher as long as you a) don't ever distribute the backup/copy, b) destroy the backup/copy if/when you discard/transfer/etc the license/original copy, and c) do not make any modifications to the software when making the backup/copy (i.e. remove copy protection, license authentication, etc.).[/QUOTE]

IANAL, but I don't think so. You're allowed to make a copy yourself, and only as long as you don't circumvent piracy protection, I believe. Downloading and using an Acekard is, at best, in the dark grey area.

[quote name='elessar123']IANAL, but I don't think so. You're allowed to make a copy yourself, and only as long as you don't circumvent piracy protection, I believe. Downloading and using an Acekard is, at best, in the dark grey area.[/QUOTE]

The "you can only make your own backup" idea came from tapes, floppies and cassettes which were much easier to duplicate than games and it's what most video game companies used to shut down ROM sites. But it seems as though that was either changed or something because now those sites are back after years of not hosting games.

I think it's ok to have backups now even if you download them. But yeah, I'm guessing it's still a very dark gray area.

^^^ Yeah, that's how I recall the history of the law as well. It's one of those things that just carries over to new media storage devices until someone decides to question it. With that said, I recall there being a fairly significant fight over that sort of thing in the late 90's when recordable CDs started to become affordable for the average consumer. I remember the result being that the old 1 copy thing was left largely unchanged and that CDs/DVDs/whatever ended up falling into the same category as the older tech. I know it was a catalyst for the seriously draconian copy protection and authentication measures that started becoming the norm for pretty much everything, including PC games (which seemed to get some of the most annoying DRM possible).

"If we can't disallow them to make a copy, then we'll just make it a huge PITA."

All the ROM sites went poof along with emule and Kazaa at about the same time about 5 years ago(IIRC). I'm guessing that modern web-hosting capacities easily matching the size of a CD-ROM helped nurture ROM DL culture back into existence. P2P pretty much bypassed the issues with larger files size hosting that there would have been 5-10 years ago.

[quote name='kayne2000']al bundy is just jealous...[/QUOTE]
I may be wrong, but I don't think he took much interest in video games.

[quote name='wiggyx']"If we can't disallow them to make a copy, then we'll just make it a huge PITA."[/QUOTE]
After the weekend I had, I think I could go for a pita right about now.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I may be wrong, but I don't think he took much interest in video games.

After the weekend I had, I think I could go for a pita right about now.[/QUOTE]

only because he was a shoe salesman with more debt than the US

[quote name='Tempius']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weZcBiTQwlw&feature=colike[/QUOTE]

Great stuff, love it's so well organize and all the swag.

But is anyone else not a huge fan of using videos to show off collections? I mean, I'd rather see a few high quality pics than a video where it's hard to make out a lot of games and annoying to try and pause/seek to get to the part you want to watch/re-watch. Just my 2 cents.

I like both. The vids are nice because it gives the viewer a feel for the space.

Though, if I had to pick one format, it would be pics.

[quote name='Vinny']But is anyone else not a huge fan of using videos to show off collections? I mean, I'd rather see a few high quality pics than a video where it's hard to make out a lot of games and annoying to try and pause/seek to get to the part you want to watch/re-watch. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't bother with watching videos. With pictures, I can just skim over them real quick and stop if anything catches my eye. With a video, you have to sit there and listen to someone drone on about this or that, deal with shaky cam, and subject yourself to other various tortures. And some of the damn things are 10 minutes or longer...between that and a few pictures, it's an obvious choice for me.

[quote name='wiggyx']You know, this is an interesting point in that I think what you're doing is actually legal. It's been a while since I looked at piracy laws regarding software, but last time I did, owning ONE backup of any piece of software that you own/own a license for is perfectly kosher as long as you a) don't ever distribute the backup/copy, b) destroy the backup/copy if/when you discard/transfer/etc the license/original copy, and c) do not make any modifications to the software when making the backup/copy (i.e. remove copy protection, license authentication, etc.).

Anybody able to confirm or dispute this?

Also, the collection looks great! I've made my stance clear on collecting sealed games in the past, but it's still pretty hard to keep the drool in my mouth when eye-fucking all those purdy titles on your shelves :drool:[/QUOTE]

Plus if he's paying for the right to use a single game, is there any law that says his copy has to leave the physical package and enter his system? By keeping the package sealed, the buyer can only use his software by means of spiritual transference....

I dont post too often but LOVE this thread. Great to see im not the only one splurging on Games/Movies. I do consider myself a collector but not in the sense that I just buy anything and everything that comes in my path. Everything I own is something that I genuinely have interest in and actually wanted to play/watch. I have three photos and hopefully they upload correctly:

COLLECTIONfull1.jpg

collection33333.jpg

collection222.jpg

[quote name='Gosha']Are those ds cases the same as official Nintendo ones?[/QUOTE]

They're about as close as you can get. Unfortunately, as of about a week ago, the official Nintendo DS cases that you can buy directly from Nintendo no longer contain a slot for GBA games. I did a small write up on the differences between the OEM cases and the knockoffs that I posted over on the cover project.

They're not nearly as high quality, but they get the job done and they're dirt cheap.

[quote name='SkiLLs7984']I dont post too often but LOVE this thread. Great to see im not the only one splurging on Games/Movies. I do consider myself a collector but not in the sense that I just buy anything and everything that comes in my path. Everything I own is something that I genuinely have interest in and actually wanted to play/watch. I have three photos and hopefully they upload correctly:

COLLECTIONfull1.jpg

collection33333.jpg

collection222.jpg
[/QUOTE]

while not as large as some of the others here, I love the display and all those collectors editions. :)

Very nice.

As for the ds cases...what do you suggest for regular Gameboy games? And NES games? The links you provided tge handheld ones seem to be suitable for GBA and DS and Cart ones are suitable for it seems everything but NES...or wil those cases work?

I use the UGCs and DS cases for NES games and GB/GBC games as well. They need to be modified for the games to fit, but it keeps everything consistent.

Check out www.thecoverproject.net. There's lots of info over there about what will fit, what won't, and how to make em fit if they don't ;)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Skiils! What kind of Shelf is that? Looks awesome and now I want one![/QUOTE]

Someone already responded to you but yes its the IKEA expedite shelf. Heres a link:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60208648/

Luckily I live in Tucson, AZ and have friends who live in PHX which is where an actual IKEA store is. I was initially going to order online but the shipping is outrageous due to them being primarily a Sweden based company. Even with them picking it up it cost a lil under $200. Kinda more than I wanted to spend on shelving but it has been worth every penny. Plenty of room, very sturdy, and allows me to display things rather than just stacking them side by side or keeping them in the closet. Worth getting if you have the chance!

[quote name='Tempius']I like that shelf Skiils! It really makes everything look good![/QUOTE]

Thanks! Really appreciate it! I already posted what kinda shelf it was above but yea I had a bunch of collectors editions that I could never display and basically just sat in the closet so I did some research and fell in love with this shelf when I saw it. Its worked out perfectly and I still have plenty of room for the future.

Sadly I used to have much much more in the way of PS2, Gamecube, PS1, and XBOX Games but I also used to live in Southeast TX and hurricane Katrina decided she needed those things more than I. But its been kinda fun relocating every thing, only now they are much much more expensive.

Also the item thats in bubblewrap, since it looks kinda weird randomly in the picture, is the Art of the Mass Effect Universe with Slip Cover. Purchased it for my fiance (Those are her games in the lower left corner =) Shes too nervous to leave it out of the bubblewrap since it was limited to 3,000 I believe. So she looks at it, rewraps it, then puts it next to her games. I think my OCD of taking care of things has rubbed off on her...

[quote name='skills7984']thanks! Really appreciate it! I already posted what kinda shelf it was above but yea i had a bunch of collectors editions that i could never display and basically just sat in the closet so i did some research and fell in love with this shelf when i saw it. Its worked out perfectly and i still have plenty of room for the future.

Sadly i used to have much much more in the way of ps2, gamecube, ps1, and xbox games but i also used to live in southeast tx and hurricane katrina decided she needed those things more than i. but its been kinda fun relocating every thing, only now they are much much more expensive.

Also the item thats in bubblewrap, since it looks kinda weird randomly in the picture, is the art of the mass effect universe with slip cover. Purchased it for my fiance (those are her games in the lower left corner =) shes too nervous to leave it out of the bubblewrap since it was limited to 3,000 i believe. So she looks at it, rewraps it, then puts it next to her games. I think my ocd of taking care of things has rubbed off on her...[/quote]

greedy hurricane!!!

Damn, I like that shelf more than I like your collection (and you have a very nice collection).:lol: I normally hate shelves without backs but that just looks so damn clean. I might get one some day.

[quote name='SkiLLs7984']
Also the item thats in bubblewrap, since it looks kinda weird randomly in the picture, is the Art of the Mass Effect Universe with Slip Cover. Purchased it for my fiance (Those are her games in the lower left corner =) Shes too nervous to leave it out of the bubblewrap since it was limited to 3,000 I believe. So she looks at it, rewraps it, then puts it next to her games. I think my OCD of taking care of things has rubbed off on her...[/QUOTE]

Since you bring that up, where exactly did they sell that? I never even heard about it until I saw one sell for like $300 on eBay.

[quote name='Pookymeister']That might something good for me to get for displaying figures. It looks like each square is wide enough to hold 20 xbox games....so should be big enough for most of them. Bigger ones can sit on top (like my portal gun :D )[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I'm bringing this up again but you might wanna look at this one instead of that other shelf you posted.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30218111/

Looks like the TV mounts to the shelf itself, there's two thinner spots right under it for your DVR/Cable Box/BD and/or DVD player. The rest could probably accommodate everything else.

Might as well contribute, as I've been lurking for weeks.

DS Games:
Sorry for the fuzziness.
ZRlI8.jpg
DS Games Part 1:
jjAjK.jpg
DS Games Part 2:
AIGGL.jpg
DS Games Part 3:
X56vN.jpg
The Stack (of DS games):
mIwsj.jpg
GBA Games:
JiJYs.jpg
GBC/GB Games:
ijwQf.jpg
Systems:
odOUJ.jpg
And the Game Boy Advance, which didn't make it into the systems pic:
C3JQT.jpg

-biblioman

Yeah, sadly, all of them are old and I don't have the cases to any of them anymore, and I'm too lazy to use The Cover Project. :p Also, my house - erm, my father's - is very cluttered, and I don't have too much space in my room.

My Weight Loss Coach - I lost the pedometer, so I had to get another copy.
Pokemon Platinum - one from eBay with every Pokemon (very hacked), one normal.
Ditto with Pokemon Emerald.
Pokemon Ruby - got one from a friend, one I bought before that.

Labelless - they just went through the washer too much. In order:
WarioWare Touched (damaged label)
Pokemon Diamond (missing label)
SimCity Creator (missing label - but still has residue left).

And thanks! I figured somebody would appreciate it! (The Stack, that is.)

Yeah, they're bad in terms of losing them. I have some game cases, though, which allow me to carry them around in groups of 16. (It's a lot easier to tell you have 16 missing than 1 missing. :p)

In completely unrelated news, yesterday was my birthday, so I got two $50 Amazon gift cards (and a shirt - Elect Zaphod Beeblebrox for Galactic President. Tell me if you get it.) so my collection will expand a lot. Oh, and also an Android app. Not merely getting one, releasing one.

[quote name='Vinny']
All my Game Boy and DC games.

Notes: Only Jet Grind Radio is sealed, everything else there is opened/complete. And yes, that is a Barbie game you see.:lol: It's one of my rarest games according to DigitPress. The Game Boy games are probably the pride and joy of my collection and took an immense amount to time to collect. You'll be hard pressed to find these games in better shape IMO. These games are basically worthless but complete, most of these are easily worth $50-$150 each. The doubles for all the Final Fantasy games are due to one being the Square version and one being the SunSoft reprint. For Zelda and Kirby's Dream Land 2, I have one regular version and one Player's Choice version. For Mega Man I & II, there's a original version and Player's Choice version.[/quote]

i like those protective cases for the boxes, where did you get them?

[quote name='Animal7390']

i like those protective cases for the boxes, where did you get them?[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=12033

I got them from him. He has shown me proof that they're PET boxes, and not shitty PVC boxes so you're getting a good product. I'm not sure if he still sells them or not but you could PM him and ask.

I would love to box up my entire collection of GB/C/A games but the boxes do take up some room (ie, I can only fit 9 games on a shelf if they're in the protective boxes, vs 10 without).

another question that may have been answered already but how are people putting gameboy games in ds cases?
i found a few videos and i wasnt sure what other people here are doing.

Hang tight, I'll get you some pics of just about anything you can think of shoved into DS cases...

DSC02558.jpg

Mostly it's just about cutting some tabs. Xacto works great if you've got really steady hands. Dremel is great for the more complicated and thicker cuts.

The GB/GBC games should be fairly self-explanatory. Just cut where needed to get the cart under the tabs that hold GBA games.

DSC02564.jpg

DSC02565.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

Wonderswan games are a PITA. Lots of cutting and it has to be VERY precise in order for the cart to snap into place.

DSC02566.jpg

Neo Geo Pocket games aren't too bad. Cut the same way that you would to fit a GB/GBC game, then heat the retaining clips with a lighter and gently bend them inward so that they make contact with the cart.

DSC02568.jpg

You can shove just about anything into these cases as long as you're willing to heavily mod them.

DSC02563.jpg

DSC02562.jpg

DSC02567.jpg

DSC02560.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have an update on collection once I put together the new shelf tomorrow. :3

[quote name='Animal7390']another question that may have been answered already but how are people putting gameboy games in ds cases?
i found a few videos and i wasnt sure what other people here are doing.[/QUOTE]

Gameboy regular games, or Gameboy Advance games?

If Gameboy Advance games, the old DS cases used to have a slot for GBA games, so it's pretty much made for them. The new ones however removed those slots, so there is just an empty space above where the DS cart goes.

Target has some really nice shelves with doors on sale for $30 this week. We had moves our blurays to the mantle about a month ago, cause the benno wall shelves were completely full. We bought two of these to put on the mantle today, and I'm loving them. They're only three dvds tall, but you can stack them. We didn't, cause we put them on the mantle.

bread's done
Back