Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Unity, is my issue. If every game came in a red case, it'd be ok by me. A clearly labeled spine title is just fine to differentiate the games to me. What if your blu-rays came in all sorts of colors besides blue, that'd be rainbow vomit on the shelf.

It's a little picky I admit, but it makes the collection look much neater as a whole, instead of being drawn to the 1-5 odd ball games that stick out because they are different color.[/quote]
Well, at least you don't just flat-out hate the red like a lot of people. Heh. I still don't really get it, though. Just a matter of perspective, I guess. Personally, I would prefer it if Blurays came in different colors. I get tired of all the blue cases, although it does make it easier for my wife when she's trying to pick up a new movie at the store.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Would you stick Metal Gear Solid 2+3 PS2 next to Metal Gear Solid 4 on your PS3 shelf?[/QUOTE]
Not me, no. I've been tempted to do something like that a few times, but it's less confusing to me if each console is separate.

Alright, so I thought I'd go ahead and share some pictures of our redecoration process. This is going to be a big post, by the way. Just keep in mind that this is very much a work in progress, so the house is currently a huge mess and our walls are pretty bare. As of last week, here's what my gaming section and the surrounding area looked like (sorry about the blurriness):

redecoration.jpg

A couple of close-ups:
redecoration2.jpg

redecoration3.jpg

My portable games along with a few PC games, all next to a portion of our movie collection:
redecoration5.jpg

A little hard to see because of our bad lighting, but here's the new shelving unit all put together:
redecoration6.jpg

And now full of games:
redecoration7.jpg

Here are some close-ups:
redecoration11.jpg

My Xbox 360 games and some of my Wii games.

redecoration12.jpg

Wii, Gamecube, PS3, PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, 3DS, DS, and a few loose N64 games.

redecoration13.jpg

PSP, boxed PC games, boxed N64 games, SNES, NES, GameBoy, a couple of Genesis and Atari 2600 games, and some random stuff that I just threw in as filler (light switch cover and a few toys).

It's so nice to finally have all of my games in one place! This is the first time I've had my retro games out in about 5 years or so. I need to make some cases and covers for them, but it's still nice to see them. Right now, the only games not on the new shelves are my big collector's editions that won't fit...oh, and my jewel-case PC games 'cause I'm still figuring out which ones I want to keep.

Now our movies also have a better place to live (my previous game shelves). Quite a few of them were boxed away because we didn't have room, but now they're all on display:
redecoration10.jpg

And in place of where the movies previously were, we now have a nice big cabinet housing just a small portion of our board games. We're waiting on two more [slightly smaller] cabinets that will go on the other side (I'm not going to organize the games until then). I really, really hope that all three cabinets will be able to contain our entire collection. If we're really lucky, maybe we can have enough space for our vinyl records.
redecoration14.jpg

Just for the heck of it, I'll also show off my new chair:
First, my old, painfully uncomfortable, broken-down chair:
redecoration8.jpg

My brand new comfy chair that I just put together today:
redecoration9.jpg

The next phase of redecorating will be the replacement of my beloved old desk that I have had for about 15 years:
redecoration4.jpg

I should post a photo of my collection but it would be comical at best, my mountain of doom has been reduced to a mountain of boxes after the move. I'm still trying to find some good shelving which is proving to be a quest on it's own. The estimate I received for the custom shelving was a bit steep and he scaled it down from what I wanted.

[quote name='kayne2000']yay for zombie's collection. also i've never heard of people hating the red cases thats new to me?[/QUOTE]
Red cases are literally the bane of my existence, I may very well get cancer from them.

As much as I hate Greatest Hits, Player's Choice, Platinum Hits, and Nintendo Selects versions, I've never been bothered with the PS3 logo change.

Just don't buy any gh games and there will be no red cases! The logo change isn't a big deal for me, at once point I put the different logo types together but then different series were separated and I decided it didn't work.

I want to post a pic update, especially since I just got noo shelf, but waiting on a ton of stuff that should arrive some time this weekend, so going to hold off until then.

hey dvd binders are good for transporting it was either that or have no games to play while at school instead of doing homework(i admit this was a poor decision in hindsight should study far more often than i do)

[quote name='Vinny']I didn't recall skiizim posting his collection recently... then I saw that the quoted post was from 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I followed his link on a different thread.

[quote name='elessar123']lmao, I think he realizes that he's in the wrong thread now.[/QUOTE]

I knew it wouldn't go over well... hence the ":D".

My "CML" would give you guys nightmares (all disc only). lol

[quote name='page305']2 Words: DVD Binder! :D[/QUOTE]

I use a binder for my ps1 and dreamcast stuff due to lack of space. The cases are all boxed away in a closet. I bring shame upon us all :'(

[quote name='Drclaw411']I use a binder for my ps1 and dreamcast stuff due to lack of space. The cases are all boxed away in a closet. I bring shame upon us all :'([/QUOTE]

I did the same for years. Had 4 large rubbermaids in the closet. Then I got tired of them eating space... a bunch of plastic boxes in another plastic box packed away in a drywall box with a door on it.

I have a friend that has the boxes to everything in his house stored in the attic. His attic is almost 100% empty boxes :D

[quote name='ZombieToast']

A little hard to see because of our bad lighting, but here's the new shelving unit all put together:
redecoration6.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Where did you get this shelf? I need one like this for my game collectables... that's my weakness.

[quote name='page305']Where did you get this shelf? I need one like this for my game collectables... that's my weakness.[/QUOTE]

That's the Atlantic 1080 Oskar shelf which can be found in many places. Not sure exactly where he got it from, but places such as Best Buy, Target, and other retailers should carry them pretty regularly.

[quote name='Squarehard']That's the Atlantic 1080 Oskar shelf which can be found in many places. Not sure exactly where he got it from, but places such as Best Buy, Target, and other retailers should carry them pretty regularly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch... I searched and they're all over Amazon as well.

I'll be searching for the same just a little deeper. Damn Gears 3 and Halo Reach statues are bulky.

On another note:
Might as well join the collection topic. I know it isn't on par with what this thread is about but...

Here's my gaming area until my entertainment center is done (needs spackle and paint still).

My evil disc binder and laptop opened to my steam library! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic... will update when I have access to a digital camera.

0201130007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my collection is definitely not what it was but I still have a good bit of stuff. I for some reason got into collecting Blu-Rays and sold of some of my better games to fund that.

LG 42" 1080p TV/Samsung 7.1 Surround/PS3 Super Slim/Xbox 360 S/Sony BDP-S570/Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player

Also yes that is my Sega Saturn sitting out.
DG8c3lf.jpg

hOTXp4p.jpg

Blu-Ray Shelve. I also have my NES games on the bottom as well as my boxes that I still have for some of my Genesis games.
UECUK9y.jpg

Current Gen/Saturn/Sega CD/Last Gen Leftovers
pg395U7.jpg

I unfortunately don't have any good storage space for my cartridge games so for now they sit in these drawers in one of my endtables.
SANFu26.jpg

QOrxfb2.jpg

Most of my retro stuff has come from yard sales and these are the many consoles I still have lying around. Hope to add to it this summer.
m2CfImx.jpg

Finally whats a collection without a ridiculous amount of controllers. I have a lot of Sega Genesis controllers and doubt I will run out anytime soon.
yJqcuD3.jpg

Hurrah for collection pics! Nice set up you got there too. Everything just seems to have a very rustic feeling to it partly because of how the room looks.

Haha I figured I'd take over my parents basement while I went to college till I move out since they were getting sick of me being loud all night. Gotta love classic wood paneling. Looking at these pics also reminds me that I need to remember to dust.....

[quote name='page305']Thanks a bunch... I searched and they're all over Amazon as well.

I'll be searching for the same just a little deeper. Damn Gears 3 and Halo Reach statues are bulky.[/QUOTE]
Like Squarehard said, you can get them just about everywhere. I got mine from Walmart for $156. But you'll definitely want something different for collectibles. I'm pretty sure those two statues wouldn't fit properly. I didn't bother to test with my Gears 3 statue because I knew I wouldn't have room for anything besides games anyway.

[quote name='wiggyx']Need to find (i.e. make) a shelf for this guy :)

A92DDD4E-3730-4E2A-A3B8-5043CB23B1AF-1312-0000011B5D5CC03A_zps9cf17342.jpg

Off to shelf-making land with me...[/QUOTE]

That's pretty freaking sweet... more info on this?

[quote name='spamfree2']^^^^^ That is awesome. Is that like a PSOne Screen that you modded into a nice mini-cabinet?[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

It's actually an Intec PS2 flip screen from way back when. I found it while cleaning my studio a couple of days ago (it must have been sitting in this shoe box for 10+ years) and literally dropped what I was doing and cranked this thing out. I dunno why, was just so amped! LOL! Been wanting to make something like this for a while, but didn't really wanna invest in parts. Had no excuse anymore ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1-2-scree...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27cf1f8d50

[quote name='Vinny']That's pretty freaking sweet... more info on this?[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! Now I need to make my nest-to-the-TV console shelves that I've got on my list of to-dos. The wife won't like it on the coffee table for too long :p

So easy. Totally plug-n-play. I literally used the SNES composite cable to hook up the audio (and hard-wired S-vid in). It's just lopped up and zip-tied it down inside. I took some pics while making it. I posted a few in my mod thread and I'll post the rest soon.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314401&page=20

Wiggy, you're a genius. I've got to ask, have you ever built any fight sticks before?

dedgeme, nice collection! Would love to see closeups of some of your older sega collections sometime. I couldn't help but notice the lonely little TG16 pad nestled in with the Genesis controllers...this thread needed more TG16. Considering the riduculous collections a lot of us have, I'm surprised and sad to not see more.

To all the other people posting collections, especially the new guys and Zombie - awesome! I love looking at your stuff. This thread kicks so much ass...

[quote name='OrangeArmy']Wiggy, you're a genius. I've got to ask, have you ever built any fight sticks before?

dedgeme, nice collection! Would love to see closeups of some of your older sega collections sometime. I couldn't help but notice the lonely little TG16 pad nestled in with the Genesis controllers...this thread needed more TG16. Considering the riduculous collections a lot of us have, I'm surprised and sad to not see more.

To all the other people posting collections, especially the new guys and Zombie - awesome! I love looking at your stuff. This thread kicks so much ass...[/QUOTE]

I had a console too but unfortunately games were either too hard to come across or too expensive for me to really enjoy it so I sold it off and forgot I had a controller left over so there it sits. If I get around to it tonight I can give some close-ups of my Sega Games.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Alright, so I thought I'd go ahead and share some pictures of our redecoration process. This is going to be a big post, by the way. Just keep in mind that this is very much a work in progress, so the house is currently a huge mess and our walls are pretty bare. As of last week, here's what my gaming section and the surrounding area looked like (sorry about the blurriness):
[/QUOTE]

I didn't comment on this before but nice collection. I really like the figure display, even though I'm not much on figures.

[quote name='wiggyx']

So easy. Totally plug-n-play. I literally used the SNES composite cable to hook up the audio (and hard-wired S-vid in). It's just lopped up and zip-tied it down inside. I took some pics while making it. I posted a few in my mod thread and I'll post the rest soon.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314401&page=20[/QUOTE]

Easy for you... maybe. When I make money, I'm gonna have to order one of these from you... assuming you start selling them.;)

[quote name='OrangeArmy']Wiggy, you're a genius. I've got to ask, have you ever built any fight sticks before?

To all the other people posting collections, especially the new guys and Zombie - awesome! I love looking at your stuff. This thread kicks so much ass...[/QUOTE]

I haven't. Never been a fight stick guy, but I won't lie and say I haven't ever thought about it. Something about custom fight sticks is just so cooooool.

[quote name='Vinny']
Easy for you... maybe. When I make money, I'm gonna have to order one of these from you... assuming you start selling them.;)[/QUOTE]

I think I just might. I have templates for the panels now and the rest isn't too bad at all. I was thinking I might do a group buy for a few. That way I could crank 'em out assembly line style ;)

@Zombie - So good to finally see your goodies!

@dodgeme - nice stuff! My house was like 90% covered in paneling when we moved in, including my current man cave/basement. I both love it for nostalgia's sake and hate it because, well, because it's wood paneling LOL! You ever plan on shelving the loose carts or are the drawers working out for ya?

[quote name='wiggyx']
I think I just might. I have templates for the panels now and the rest isn't too bad at all. I was thinking I might do a group buy for a few. That way I could crank 'em out assembly line style ;)[/QUOTE]

If I wanted one I even have the screen you can use for mine so cut down on parts cost! :D
photo1uee.jpg

photo2dhp.jpg
And maybe you can even make a super tiny one with this screen, although I'm still rather attached to this controller since it's awesome, ~_~
photohjdw.jpg

[quote name='wiggyx']
I think I just might. I have templates for the panels now and the rest isn't too bad at all. I was thinking I might do a group buy for a few. That way I could crank 'em out assembly line style ;)

[/QUOTE]

Maybe plan the units to be un-assembled too, like the cheapo shelves and bookcases we buy from Walmart and stuff, which would probably save on shipping? I'm sure most people can probably screw in a few screws if the holes are there... and maybe offer the option for pre-assembled units (additional fees and shipping costs will apply of course) for those who can't.

[quote name='wiggyx']Need to find (i.e. make) a shelf for this guy :)
A92DDD4E-3730-4E2A-A3B8-5043CB23B1AF-1312-0000011B5D5CC03A_zps9cf17342.jpg
Off to shelf-making land with me...[/QUOTE]
That's fantastic. I saw you talking about this in the other thread and I'm happy to see that it turned out so well. I wish I could be as crafty as you are. You and your shelves are partially responsible for inspiring me to undertake my current redecorating/remodeling plans.

[quote name='OrangeArmy']To all the other people posting collections, especially the new guys and Zombie - awesome! I love looking at your stuff. This thread kicks so much ass...[/QUOTE]
In that case, keep your eyes peeled because there is more to come in the near future!

[quote name='Vinny']I didn't comment on this before but nice collection. I really like the figure display, even though I'm not much on figures.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! Action figures were my first real collection (I collected games at the time but did not yet think of it as a collection). I don't know when I first started buying them (probably when I was 5), but I became serious about it back in 1994 when McFarlane entered the scene. I already had a bunch of Ninja Turtles and whatnot, but when I saw that first Spawn line, I knew they were something special. Not long after the commercials started airing, I was lucky enough to find all of the figures sealed at a yard sale for about $12 total. When I was 10, my estranged father took me to K-Mart, Walmart, and KB Toys and bought me every Ninja Turtle they had...which was pretty much the best birthday ever.

McFarlane toys were definitely my most sought-after for years, though. I don't collect them anymore (aside from a few scarce ones I missed) because of what has happened with both the man and the company, but I've bought hundreds of their products over the years. I also made a lot of friends in the process, including his brother-in-law and a few employees of the company. It as a good run, but now I mostly just collect cheap abstract toys like Mighty Muggs, Mez-Itz, and Funkeys (basically an older version of Skylanders). Unfortunately, these things don't do well in the market so they don't really get produced anymore. But it's just as well because it saves me money...and although my toy collection easily surpasses my game collection, 98% is boxed up and stored away because I simply don't have room to display most of it now that I have a kid. Someday...

[quote name='wiggyx']@Zombie - So good to finally see your goodies![/QUOTE]
Well, that just sounds wrong. Ha ha. I actually showed off my collection once several months ago, but it wasn't nearly as noteworthy because everything was broken up and a lot of stuff was stuck in a drawer.

oh man dont get me started on my ninja turtle love back in the day. who knows how many i collected. who knows how many are still stashed away somewhere. they were by far my favorite cartoon as a child. to say i was OCD about them would be an understatement. my favorite comic was garfield i own all of them except the more recent ones in the past 5-6 years.

yes garfield and ninja turtles don't ask how that unholy union formed lol.

bread's done
Back