Your older systems?

adrianchan56

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I personally don't play them unless I'm in a god awful boring saturday... Other than that I just put them in a box neatly contained in all their original packaging. Currently in my closet gathering dust and grime.

For short: I'm an average collector who prioritizes on most popular systems/handhelds/games. Y'know the common stuff like SNES, NES, PSX, GB. I do own some of the current gen stuff... like PS2/Xbox/DC sorta died.

Anyone here has a really large inventory of goodies? I'm eager to see the posts :D.

They don't get much attention unless I'm "into" something. Right now I'm nearing the end of Mario RPG so naturally my SNES is getting equal love as my three current generation consoles. Other than that, they just look pretty and garner comments like "you still have a Nintendo?" when guests are over.

I have a broad range of consoles (see my collection in my signature).

I still play Tecmo Super Bowl quite a bit on the NES. Still loads of fun after all these years. I play Gunstar Heroes and Snatcher from time to time on my Genesis. I have all my older systems in another room seperate from the TV with the current gen systems. Saturn I sitll play Guardian Heroes and DC I still play Project Justice a LOT. I can't forget No Mercy on the N64 either.

In my den I have hooked up an NES, N64, DC, SNES... and have outputs in my component video selector for both my PS2 and XB

in my gameroom, I currently have the GCN, XB, PS2, TG16, NES, Genesis, SMS, Saturn

Nothing in my bedroon, although I have an RF adaptor for that old tv that I could hook up current systems to if I so please

I dont play the older games as much as the new (obviously), but like to have them hooked up so I can immediately play them, should the mood strike me , such as with Galaga 90 on the TG16

[quote name='zman73']In my den I have hooked up an NES, N64, DC, SNES... and have outputs in my component video selector for both my PS2 and XB

in my gameroom, I currently have the GCN, XB, PS2, TG16, NES, Genesis, SMS, Saturn

Nothing in my bedroon, although I have an RF adaptor for that old tv that I could hook up current systems to if I so please

I dont play the older games as much as the new (obviously), but like to have them hooked up so I can immediately play them, should the mood strike me , such as with Galaga 90 on the TG16[/QUOTE]

Hey man, I just wanted to let you know that the link to your collection will point people who view it to their own IGN collection. You need to have it like this...

http://users.ign.com/collection/zman73 (or whatever your username is on IGN)

I have:

Dead systems

-3do
-atari 2600
-atari jaguar with cd add on
-intellivision
-turbografx with cd add on plus a super system card that allow playing of duo game on it
-turbo duo (essentially a powered up turbografx, plays turbo, turbo cd and turbo duo games)
-pc engine (japanese turbo grafx, was cheaper than buying a converter)
-neo geo pocket
-n64
-game boy and game boy color
-nintendo
-snes (also have a sf32 with it, which allows me to play roms on my tv using floppy discs. I use it to play translated import games on my snes, mostly rpg's. It can also copy games into roms, but I never figured that part out)
-virtual boy
-genesis with sega cd and sega 32x
-sega master system
-sega game gear (with adaptor to play master system games)
-sega dreamcast
-sega saturn
-psx
-tiger game.com
-Vectrex (have a homebrew cart for it that includes every game, official and homebrew, have no original games)

Current Systems

-gamecube
-gameboy advance sp
-ps2
-xbox

ATARI 2600 and intellivison are the most recent additions, my parents bought them when they were current but I was only given them a few weeks ago.

Major ones I'm missing include the CD-I (I actually bought this once on clearance at lechmere, but it was broken and had to be returned, never got another one since it was the only time I saw it for cheap enough), odyssey 2, atari 5200, atari 7800, colecovision (my mother claims to have this, but it can't be found and my father says they never did), atari lynx, neo geo, neo geo cd, psp, ds, and n-gage (though I have 28 games, just no system). The other stuff I'm missing are more minor systems (ie. supersystem, sega pico, amiga cd32 etc.)

I don't know what system gets played the most. A toss up between nes, ps2 (ps1 games though, ps2 games get played about 20% of the time the system is in use) and gamecube (about 60% of it's use is with the game boy player though). I don't have a way to hook them all up (usually 2-3 are out). I'm redoing my storage area though, right now my system are on an audio stand and buried 2-3 deep. I'm putting up a shelf to line many of them along a wall, so they won't be buried and will be easier to reach, and others (such as saturn) will be played much more.

The only older system that seems to get some good play in my collection is my SNES. A couple weeks ago I played through Secret of Mana. I was much easier than I remembered, but it was fun.

I play my dreamcast, n64 and psone just as much as my xbox. All because a game or console is old, doesnt mean its bored or less then the new ones.

Perfect examples of this is those SF rush games.

I think if you grew up on older games, the chances are higher you would still enjoy them. But for some 10 year old just getting into RPG's might find FF6 for SNES boring, even though it's a great game.

I remember when I purchased a copy of FF Anthology a couple years ago and I got to play FFV for the first time. I tried playing it but couldn't get into it as much as I did with FFVI. I think it was because it didn't have that nostalgic factor.

my snes is hooked up and gets play from time to time (ive been playing mario kart lately to get used to the dpad for DS) but my nintendo and genesis are collecting dust

edit: my n64 is hooked up too... but i guess i just dont think of it as "old" ...

The N64 is sitting on the shelf over there, easy to hookup. I have a GCN and a PS2 hooked up and used frequently. Also a GBA SP.

My parents have my old PSX, NES, SNES, and Genesis kicking around somewhere. :)

I've gotten rid of (or trying to) all my pre PSX games and consoles. All of my classic gaming is done via emulation or compilations on newer systems.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']I've gotten rid of (or trying to) all my pre PSX games and consoles. All of my classic gaming is done via emulation or compilations on newer systems.[/QUOTE]

If you need any assistance, I'll be glad to help :D

I have a pretty good variety of older systems, you can see them in my collection thread below. It has actually changed though, I need to do a new set of pictures. Emulation doesn't do it for me.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I think if you grew up on older games, the chances are higher you would still enjoy them. But for some 10 year old just getting into RPG's might find FF6 for SNES boring, even though it's a great game.

I remember when I purchased a copy of FF Anthology a couple years ago and I got to play FFV for the first time. I tried playing it but couldn't get into it as much as I did with FFVI. I think it was because it didn't have that nostalgic factor.[/QUOTE]

I don't really play the very old rpg's like dragon warrior 1, as I find the absolute lack of character interaction boring. But I didn't really play them originally anyway. I only started in the early snes days, even though it was nes rpg and turbografx rpg's, as I didn't have an snes yet. I don't know the first rpg I actually played (as in more than just popping it in, and then stop playing after 10 or 20 minutes), but Final Lap Twin's rpg mode would be one of the first few. I had no particular interest in rpg's until around 94 or 95 with lufia though. It's somewhat unfortunate that I also became absolutely trapped in that generation of rpg's. They're my favorite genre, but I never really moved beyond lufia. I liked suikoden, and I did have some interest in newer style rpg's when they came out (ff7, ff8, shadow madness etc.) but they were above average at best to me. I don't like any fancy battle system, just dragon warrior style (not the time based ones in the ff series, card based ones, action based ones etc.). I don't like very open rpg's that much (like golden sun), and I hate point and click maps (needs a walkable world map). Basically, while my rpg tastes did advance temporarily to tolerate some newer ones, I hate modern rpg's and my tastes have gone back firmly into snes territory and games that mimicked that (like suikoden, dw 7, beyond the beyond etc.).

Though I also find little interest in the overwhelming majority of pre nes games, I'm not sure if that's because they're too simplistic (a complaint I've heard even from those who grew up on them), or because I wasn't really exposed to them as a kid other than on a few occasions. When I do like actually enjoy those games (such as yars revenge), my enjoyment fades relatively quickly, half an hour or an hour tops.

Bedroom at Home: Sega Saturn, PS1, PS2, XBox, DVD Player, VCR, and 3 Plug-n'-Play Setup.

Brother's Room at Home: Gamecube, NES, SNES, N64.

Den Setup at Home: NES, SNES, Genesis, PS2, XBox, VCR.

Sitting Around Room: 3 GBs, 2 GBCs, 2 GBAs, 2 GBA SPs, 1 DS, 1 PSP, 1 Game Gear.

How many of those systems see usage? Basically everything from the NES to the XBox console-wise gets use daily or every other day. The handhelds, on the other hand, don't get as much usage save for the GBAs and whatnot. Haven't touched the Game Gear in a long time.

I have an old snes and dreamcast, and I only play with them when I buy new games to play with them. Its fun to play with the dreamcast though because the graphics are new but the games are still cheap and also great!

[quote name='cyrix`']I have an old snes and dreamcast, and I only play with them when I buy new games to play with them. Its fun to play with the dreamcast though because the graphics are new but the games are still cheap and also great![/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Dreamcast is good for fighters. But I still don't consider it an "old" system yet. Soul Calibur still looks great on it.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I think if you grew up on older games, the chances are higher you would still enjoy them. But for some 10 year old just getting into RPG's might find FF6 for SNES boring, even though it's a great game.

I remember when I purchased a copy of FF Anthology a couple years ago and I got to play FFV for the first time. I tried playing it but couldn't get into it as much as I did with FFVI. I think it was because it didn't have that nostalgic factor.[/QUOTE]

Yea kids don't like old stuff they want to play new stuff that every kid has. My 10yr. old cousin played catch with the SNES i bought for him lol. Ahhh poor SNES misused.

The bright side is that he is enjoying SNES in some way.

my little cousin actually can sit at my cpu and play frogger all day. I can't even play frogger for 2 minutes. but i still play my nes, saturn, dreamcast(rarly only for powerstone), snes and sometimes my sega/cd.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I have:

Dead systems

-3do
-atari 2600
-intellivision
-turbografx with cd add on plus a super system card that allow playing of duo game on it
-turbo duo (essentially a powered up turbografx, plays turbo, turbo cd and turbo duo games)
-neo geo pocket
-n64
-nintendo
-snes (also have a sf32 with it, which allows me to play roms on my tv using floppy discs. I use it to play translated import games on my snes, mostly rpg's. It can also copy games into roms, but I never figured that part out)
-virtual boy
-sega master system
-sega dreamcast
-sega saturn
-psx
-tiger game.com
-Vectrex (have a homebrew cart for it that includes every game, official and homebrew, have no original games)

Current Systems

-gamecube
-gameboy advance sp
-ps2
-xbox

QUOTE]
Somebody was eager for this post.

[quote name='jshendel'][quote name='alonzomourning23']I have:

Dead systems

-3do
-atari 2600
-intellivision
-neo geo pocket
-n64
-nintendo
-virtual boy
-sega master system
-sega dreamcast
-sega saturn
-psx
-tiger game.com

Current Systems

-gamecube
-gameboy advance sp
-ps2
-xbox

QUOTE]
Somebody was eager for this post.[/QUOTE]

;) Actually, for the first time in my life I sorted everything. Instead of being scattered around my house, they're all in one room. And, because of that, I inventoried everything with excel. So all I had to do was look at a my pc screen. I just finished that 2 days ago.

bread's done
Back