"Your PS3 fried my expensive Television!"

mary_at_gamefunk

CAGiversary!
We had a really bizarre customer service complaint sent to us today.

A customer is claiming that a 60GB PS3 we sent him "fried [his] very expensive tv."

Has anyone else experienced this strange PS3 = spontaneous combustion problem???????

I've never heard of an AV connection with this kind of juice. Please advise.

I bet his dog pissed on it or something and he's looking for a quick out...not realizing that his complaint is about as ridiculous as they come

I can't see that happening, and what proof does he have that it was due to the PS3? If the TV is within warrenty then he needs to take it in and get it fixed, if not then too bad. Either way it's not the fault of the distribution channel, it's a product issue and the guy needs to realize that. Persuasion based on guilt is sometimes the easiest to use; too bad logic trumps it.

I dont see it happening either but I will tell you when my PS3 switches to PS2 mode you do hear a load poping sound thru the speakers.

My PS3 will occasionally make my TV output in Black and White....

But can it break it, doubtful. I remember Cheapy mentioning that his Ipod was frying his headphones.

Most likely a brownout fried his Television. I'd bet that your customer didn't have a surge protector or UPS.

[quote name='Nowell']that's like claiming that your headphones blew up my ipod. It just isn't going to happen. EVER.[/quote]
Actually even that is more likely. Some headphones have amplifiers. If they reverse polarity and feed back into the iPod (very unlikely but possible), it could blow the iPod's headphone amp.

No such circuit exists on the PS3. The only way it could damage a set is if it locked up and you left that static screen on display for weeks on end.

[quote name='geko29']Actually even that is more likely. Some headphones have amplifiers. If they reverse polarity and feed back into the iPod (very unlikely but possible), it could blow the iPod's headphone amp.

No such circuit exists on the PS3. The only way it could damage a set is if it locked up and you left that static screen on display for weeks on end.[/quote]

Are those headphone you are talking about like DJ headphones? I doubt most people listening to their iPOD would have anything than earbuds or something similar for on the go. I am not saying it couldn't happen, more or less wondering what kind of headphones that their own amps.

On to the subject at hand. I don't know the ins and outs of HDMI, but I am guessing it is a low voltage and amp electronic signal.

I must say your are very kind to even be humoring that idea. If it was over the functionality over the console thats obvious but this is just someone who wants a new TV,:rofl:

[quote name='mguiddy']There is a 5 V max 50 mA pin with HDMI, but I doubt it fried a whole TV.[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't think it was a lot of energy going through it. This guy is full of it. Tell him STFUGTFO! Just like that. See if his head explodes!

we blew up a tv with a ps1 back in the day, that was an OLD tv and we played for 7 days straight, plus the tv had been on for 3 months straight before that week, but that was before tvs got to be able to handle the stress of LONG playing sessions, now i can leave my xbox360/ps3 on for weeks on end and never have to worry about my tv. i remember the issue being bad back in the day of 8bit and 16 bit consoles, but that was mainly due to burning an image in, now consoles have screen saver which prevent that

How does this customer know the PS3 blew up his TV? What sort of deductive reasoning did this customer use to determine it was the PS3 that was at fault? Yea, I'm not believing this story one bit.

[quote name='daphatty'] What sort of deductive reasoning did this customer use to determine it was the PS3 that was at fault? [/quote]

Probably a bit of the following

"Before hooking the Playstation up, the television works fine.

After hooking the Playstation up, the television stops working fine.

Ergo the Playstation broke my television."

I imagine the gentleman that sends a complaint consisting of "Your PS3 fried my expensive Television!" isn't tech savvy enough to realize it's not probable an AV connection caused his television to become "fried". So it'd be safe to assume anything above basic deductive reasoning is out of his realm of thinking.

[quote name='wesdw369']we blew up a tv with a ps1 back in the day, that was an OLD tv and we played for 7 days straight, plus the tv had been on for 3 months straight before that week, but that was before tvs got to be able to handle the stress of LONG playing sessions, now i can leave my xbox360/ps3 on for weeks on end and never have to worry about my tv. i remember the issue being bad back in the day of 8bit and 16 bit consoles, but that was mainly due to burning an image in, now consoles have screen saver which prevent that[/quote]

Wow... you leave your xbox 360 on for weeks???? I got a brand new one in December, and if I leave it on for 4 hours it feels like I could fry an egg on it.

i didnt mean to, happened one time, i went out of state and asked my wife to cut it off and she forgot, but with us watching movies and playing games its generally on for 8-12 hours at a time, got on of the bottom coolers and it keeps it room temp

bread's done
Back