Your thoughts on God of War.

Sk

CAGiversary!
I just bought it. I think its the best action game since the first Devil May Cry. Easily GOW is the best action game on the market and quiet possibly the best action game on this generation of systems. GOW would be slightly better if the developer would axe out some of the really average platforming. I'm totally impressed by this game, I really was expecting it to be just another action game but its really won my heart.

What's your thoughts about this game?

A fairly good game.
It offers nothing innovative,... but it does push future developers to strive harder.

I love the game,... but there is a lot that could have been done to make it better. Considering the engine that was used, though, I think they made magic.

[quote name='smalien1']Played the demo and I like RE4 much, much more[/QUOTE]

Your ability to judge an entire game based on a short demo is AMAZING!!!!

yousuckmonkey1.gif

GOW is at least playable and not overly difficult like RE4 can be at times. GOW has the perfect difficulty.

[quote name='Trakan']And comparing it to RE4 to boot.[/QUOTE]
God of War = Action game.
RE4 = Action game.

smalien1 is simply expressing that he doesn't agree with the notion that GoW is the best action game this generation.

I think God of War is extremely overrated. It's pretty good and all, but I still prefer Devil May Cry and Rygar (which GoW is basically a fusion of).

God of War is good, but not amazing. I liked the blades of chaos, and the environments were great. Everything else was meh. It needed far fewer battling wave after wave after wave after wave of the same enemy and more boss battles.

I think it is fair to compare God of War and Resident Evil 4. After all, both are definitely front runners for game of the year and will need to be compared, along with other games of potentially varying genres, when the Academy selects their game of the year.

I've played through both games. Even though it pains the Nintendo / Resident Evil fan boy in me to say this, I enjoyed GoW more than RE4.

I found myself much more interested in the story behind GoW. I was also extremely amazed the PS2 had the ability to push such high quality graphics so smoothly. Finally, it took nearly two generations of 3D consoles to accomplish this, but the camera is nearly flawless. Not once did I feel a poor camera angle resulted in my characters demise. I believe that's quite an accomplishment for a third person game where the player has no control over the camera.

Game play and cinematic wise, I found GoW reminiscent of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. However IMO, GoW takes the formula and improves on it in nearly every aspect.

GOW can't really be compaired to RE4, it compaires much better to DMC3, both are a lot of fast pace action and lots of killing. You have quiet a few combos in GOW, but nothing like DMC3 4 stance style. It was a good game, but very liniar

...Anything can be compared.
I personnaly prefer Oranges over apples.

RE4 was a slow and methodical action game that picked up at various points. GoW was a viceral tear-em-up game. Both involved killing and being the best game on thier respective systems. Some people would prefer to play RE4, as some people would rather play sports games than RPG's (GASP!)

That said, I thought GoW was great

[quote name='Plumberboy']
Game play and cinematic wise, I found GoW reminiscent of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. However IMO, GoW takes the formula and improves on it in nearly every aspect.[/QUOTE]
Really? I think the prince of persia games have better platforming and puzzle elements than GOW. I felt that GOW's platforming and puzzle solving elements were average at best, but GOW's combat, visuals, and overall story rock the POP series.

God of War, while basically just an updated version of Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, is still really fun as far as combat is concerned. It has a good camera system most of the time, and has good, if not mindblowing, visuals. There are many flaws, however. There are too many lame platforming sections (the areas where you must balance on a narrow ledge are especially frustrating, and boring), limited types of enemies, and very few bosses. Still, the combo - focused fighting, easy to pick up, yet deep controls, and nice challenge level (not impossible like Ninja Gaiden or DMC 3, unless you play on God Mode), make it a superior game. Also, though the bosses are few, they are still awesome, and the enemies are different enough from each other to require different strategies. So, a great game overall, but not the AAA status so many reviewers are granting it. Providing they fix the flaws, the sequel should be incredible - able to give Halo, RE, MGS, and other AAA titles a run for their money.

GoW got really tedius for me towards the end. Mashing the same two buttons for hours hasn't been fun since mario 3.

[quote name='Sk']Really? I think the prince of persia games have better platforming and puzzle elements than GOW. I felt that GOW's platforming and puzzle solving elements were average at best, but GOW's combat, visuals, and overall story rock the POP series.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are right. The platforming was more fluid in PoP: SoT. After all, that is the very nature of the PoP franchise. Many of PoP's puzzles were tied directly into the platforming aspect of the game while GoW's puzzles were often limited to kicking an object across the screen.

The key factor in keeping me motivated throughout GoW was definitely the story. I was interested in why Kratos was so enraged by the God who spared his life, the role of the grave digger, and eventually how a mortal would kill a God... even if that was somewhat of a let down.

For me its DMC3>GOW.

I really enjoyed GOW, but DMC3 is the type of action game that button mashing wiill get you killed very quickly, which forces you to learn the combos, plus it has all the styles you can use.

In GOW I left the Blades of Chaos at level 2 for the whole game and didnt have that much trouble using the same triangle, triangle, triangle combo and x,x,x combos and of course a combination between those.

Both very awesome games though, and GOW is very good at telling the stories, and I loved the way they did the camera angles.

[quote name='whoknows']For me its DMC3>GOW.

I really enjoyed GOW, but DMC3 is the type of action game that button mashing wiill get you killed very quickly, which forces you to learn the combos, plus it has all the styles you can use.

In GOW I left the Blades of Chaos at level 2 for the whole game and didnt have that much trouble using the same triangle, triangle, triangle combo and x,x,x combos and of course a combination between those.

Both very awesome games though, and GOW is very good at telling the stories, and I loved the way they did the camera angles.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. DMC 3 definitely takes a lot more skill to play and ultimately leads to enjoyable game play once mastered. If DMC 3 was slightly easier like the first game in the series I could see digging it much more and paying full price for it. DMC 1 is easily one of my most favorite games ever. The first one reminded me of how Castlevaina should have played in 3D.

GOW is more like a pickup and go kind of game. Its game play is more intuitive and natural feeling (you only use two buttons for combat and really simple combos). Add in the easier AI of the bad guys and you get an action game nearly anyone can play.

[quote name='Plumberboy']Perhaps you are right. The platforming was more fluid in PoP: SoT. After all, that is the very nature of the PoP franchise. Many of PoP's puzzles were tied directly into the platforming aspect of the game while GoW's puzzles were often limited to kicking an object across the screen.

The key factor in keeping me motivated throughout GoW was definitely the story. I was interested in why Kratos was so enraged by the God who spared his life, the role of the grave digger, and eventually how a mortal would kill a God... even if that was somewhat of a let down.[/QUOTE]
Yeah GOW is definitely story drive. If you took out the kick ass story you'd have a semi lame game. GoW's story is kind of what gives it that magical touch.

[quote name='whoknows']For me its DMC3>GOW.

Both very awesome games though, and GOW is very good at telling the stories, and I loved the way they did the camera angles.[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with Dante in his avatar and sig. ;)

I enjoyed my time with God of War, but I think it is slightly overrated. It's not as close to a perfect game as reviewers would lead you to believe. It's fun, it looks pretty good, but I would have liked a deeper combo system, a little more open-endedness to the levels, another layer of visual polish or two, and, oddly enough, a few more good puzzles.

I'm going to have to agree with most of the people on this thread about God of War being overrated.

At first it's amazing. The environments are great, and the combat system seems to have a lot of depth at first. But as the game wears on it gets real repetitive, and you realize that with melee combat it's essentially the same throughout the game where the environments are merely pretty backdrops and nothing more. It needed less combat and more POP style platforming/puzzles to break up the monotony.

is GoW a buy and keep game or one of those games that you play once or twice and just dont play anymore (lots of single-player only games are like this)

i'm guessing its the second

thanks

Rent it and beat it but I thought it was very enjoyable. Much more fun to me then DMC3. I might buy DMC3 someday and take the time to get through it. I prefer the style of GOW since it's easy to learn and the whole time it just felt like 'mass pwnage' all around. As for comparing it to RE4, I couldn't say. They both are damn good and it'll be close for game of the year.

So in the end is it worth 50 bucks or not? I was gonna get it but then i got my new computer and was playing games on it but now im kinda on a down time and am not in the mood for any games.

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']So in the end is it worth 50 bucks or not? I was gonna get it but then i got my new computer and was playing games on it but now im kinda on a down time and am not in the mood for any games.[/QUOTE]

I would say no on the $50.
Go rent it, you will probably beat it and have your GOW needs fulfilled.

Sorry guys, but MVP Baseball 2005 is still the best game out right now, nothing better than grilling up some brawts and other good food, have the radio on the A's game and sit down outside and play mvp.

I enjoyed that fact that you switched between genres in split seconds it was awesome. You playing action then platforming then a QTE. I like GoW a lot.

[quote name='uuaww']Sorry guys, but MVP Baseball 2005 is still the best game out right now, nothing better than grilling up some brawts and other good food, have the radio on the A's game and sit down outside and play mvp.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? He didn't say "What's the best game out there right now?" he said "Your thoughts on God of War."

For the first 2 weeks it was out, I was thinking "man, GoW is the best action game of this generation." I was telling everyone I knew to buy it. For me the game was an absolute blast, but I beat it fairly quickly and thought to myself "I can't believe it's over." I've played through it again once since then, and for me it's one of the best games on the PS2, but if I could go back and not buy it, I probably would. While it lasts, it's awesome, but when it's over there isn't a whole lot of incentive to play it again.

Also, I'm not the type of person who has the patience to finish games that take longer than 20 or so hours, and GoW even seemed short to me. Had there been 2 to 3 more stages/bosses I think this would have been not just the best action game of the generation but the best game of the generation. I think as it is ninja gaiden narrowly edges out GoW for action game of the generation for me.

God War was the single greatest action game I've played since Shinobi. I'd say my favorite part of the game was how it felt like the designers held nothing back with each new area and boss fight.

Currently Playing and loving every minute of it. I love the developers for the voilence and pushing the envelope with some of the images of the girls. Not saying it was cool seeing it but just saw it as pushing the envelope and the genre forward.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Currently Playing and loving every minute of it. I love the developers for the voilence and pushing the envelope with some of the images of the girls. Not saying it was cool seeing it but just saw it as pushing the envelope and the genre forward.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with you in every way. "Pushing the envelope" as you put it, solely for shock value is gimmicky and stupid. But watching a bunch of naked girls getting slaughtered just plain rules.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I disagree with you in every way. "Pushing the envelope" as you put it, solely for shock value is gimmicky and stupid. But watching a bunch of naked girls getting slaughtered just plain rules.[/QUOTE]

That's not what it's there for. It's to establish Kratos as the ultimate asshole, for lack of a better term. The more brutal the slaughter, the stronger he comes off.

I loved GOW. Probably the best PS2 game available, and it may stay that way when the system is done and gone. Sure you can use the same combo the whole game. Growing up on beat-em-ups, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. If you actually learn some of the unique moves he can pull off, it's far more enjoyable though. The three years it took to make it shows.

As for RE4, well, not much beats that. I've already claimed it as one of the greatest games ever made, and I'm a cynical bastard. In all my 20+ years of gaming, I've rarely had more fun than with RE4.

Currently playing through RE4, and have already completed GOW, and I say it's a tough call on which is game of the year, GOW or RE 4.

GOW really, really gets you hooked in the first 30 mins of the game, but like others say, it loses a lot of steam as it goes on. I ended up so bored with the combat I started using the single blade (forget the name) just to get the battles over with quicker. Overall, though, the game had great action and a pretty decent story.

RE4 has all of the hallmark qualities of the RE line for me, such as great, heart-racing action moments and an involving story. RE 4 is a game I can get much more involved in, for example I'm actually cautious, worried about my characters health/ammo supply, worried about when to use my special weapons, etc., which is contrast to GOW's hack-hack-hack strategy.

So, it's a matter of preference, whether you want a game that's a bit better in the long run or a game that's miles better in the short run. I really can't say which I like better at this point though... maybe after completing RE.

bread's done
Back