Zelda Breath of the Wild Special/Master Editions, Amiibo- Discussion

Got a TRU order secured, but I'm also wondering when I get the thing. Should I just fork over the extra $20 to ensure I get it on launch day?

I wouldn't do it, patience is a virtue and those 20 bucks can be spent on a other game.
This right here, I went with free shipping myself. I can wait a few days to play the game if need be. Also I will cancel there if it comes back up on Amazon at some point for 20% off and release day shipping. As of right now TRU is my safety net which is okay in my book.

Some people have a busy work schedule and cannot sit in front of a screen all morning. And bosses at work are, for the most part, not Michael Scott.
Even if one is busy, just enabling notifications in your phone and a little trip to the bathroom can do the trick ( I do this when I'm in a meeting) buying something doesn't take too much time if you have an account.

Some people have a busy work schedule and cannot sit in front of a screen all morning. And bosses at work are, for the most part, not Michael Scott.
Yeah there's always the unfortunate few, but you know most people still miss it even when they can easily take 5 minutes to check the forums or nowinstock. It's up when most people are getting up for the morning.

well this should add more salt to the thread XD
Yeah sorry, but I've seen so many dumb reasons on why people miss it. Most of which are easily the persons own doing. Not because of the person is busy at work. People always blame Nintendo, or scalpers, or retailers. But they know themselves they also did not make the preparations or actions to give themselves the best chance to secure one. (IE, set up page monitor, or check occasionally once every hour, it takes 2 minutes)

Idk about everyone else, but because they didn't announce the SE and ME at the conference itself I didn't know to stay awake or set anything up until the treehouse presentation the following morning.
I didn't expect limited edition things to be announced outside of such an event.

So yeah, I suppose it's my own fault for not obsessively scouring the Internet for everything switch related after the conference.

Idk about everyone else, but because they didn't announce the SE and ME at the conference itself I didn't know to stay awake or set anything up until the treehouse presentation the following morning.
I didn't expect limited edition things to be announced outside of such an event.

So yeah, I suppose it's my own fault for not obsessively scouring the Internet for everything switch related after the conference.
This too.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

We knew about the zelda ce's hours before the conference. It was posted in the switch preorder thread pretty early on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, it's not your fault you missed the ME, but SE was fair game for everyone at this point.

I'm not a reseller so IMO you didn't miss anything. Based on the limited quantity, cheap looking material, no wii u special editions, and the following contents ... it seemed like a rush job.

A $30 cheap looking sword

A soundtrack you'll be able to DL minutes after the release

A carrying case that will embarrass me in public and will be better ones available

A coin that was given out for free at E3

A map that will remain mostlty unseen / folded in a box

Pathetic for system seller / 1st party title.

I'm not a reseller so IMO you didn't miss anything. Based on the limited quantity, cheap looking material, no wii u special editions, and the following contents ... it seemed like a rush job.
A carrying case that will embarrass me in public and will be better ones available
It cones in a cool box though, right :)

We knew about the zelda ce's hours before the conference. It was posted in the switch preorder page pretty early on.
So you're telling me I should have been camping out the switch's pre-order page instead of waiting for the conference where everything was supposed to be announced? It's funny, after I heard of their existence from the treehouse stream I went looking for more pictures (and of course, pre-order listings). This is the first I've heard of it being up hours in advance. And frankly, I shouldn't have to be searching for it! It should have been at the end of the trailer for that conference. Clearly announced for everyone to see.

Well, it's not your fault you missed the ME, but SE was fair game for everyone at this point.
I don't dispute that. At this point in time that is true. I'm just saying on that first day, I'm sure all the fans who didn't watch the treehouse stream and weren't obsessively searching for info didn't find out about the ME and the SE until that night or that following morning. When the pre-orders were mostly gone.

Perhaps these items don't mean a hill of beans to you - that's ok!

However, there are likely many, MANY others that feel differently and place much more value in these items. I would be very surprised to see the SE valued at MSRP anytime in the near future. More likely, the going rate for the SE will hover in the 1.5-2.0x MSRP range, while the ME has the real possibility of reaching 4-5x MSRP (if not more).

It's doubtful, but I hope somehow we're able to get NPD #'s for both Collector's Editions.  

NPD Data said they shipped ~47K of the Fire Emblem Fates Special Editions, which is higher than I expected considering how hard it was to find.  Demand was just crazy for that one, and rightfully so.

I think there will be multiple other chances to get the Special Edition.  3 hours at Toys R Us when everyone already knows how rare it might be is a long time.

The Master Edition though.  10 minutes in the middle of the night at Amazon, 10 minutes at Best Buy on the afternoon of the 13th, and a little while at Gamestop with a bunch of errors at checkout.   Wonder if the Nintendo Store in NYC will have any on launch day.   eBay prices are already approaching $500.  As soon as Reggie said on the Treehouse Stream how limited it was going to be, that's when you monitor Best Buy like a hawk.  Pre-orders went up a few hours later.

While I agree I'm not missing out on much (considering I do have a pre-order for the SE), the cheap looking sword is still something I wanted as a huge Zelda fan. I have the last 2 CE releases (MM, Hyrule Warriors NA), a couple of LOZ 3DS, got a nice Zelda shelf going since I finally have money to spend and I wanted to add the sword to it. I'm disappointed, but I'll live. I'm really only speaking up 'cuz I think it was incredibly stupid of Nintendo to not speak about the editions at the conference. Just saying, people have a right to complain about missing out when Nintendo didn't give many people a chance at the ME from the get go.

Nintendo lunatics will spend anything to get what they want.  I thank them for funding my hobby at times on things I would have otherwise wanted to keep for myself. 

If you actually scored a Master's Edition, which I didn't, it's a no-brainer regarding what to do with it. 

NPD Data said they shipped ~47K of the Fire Emblem Fates Special Editions, which is higher than I expected considering how hard it was to find. Demand was just crazy for that one, and rightfully so
Yeah it's pretty Amazing how far Fire Emblem has came as a series. It almost died before Awakening, now it gets its own Nintendo Directs and it'd CEs sell out in minutes despite having more quantity then most CEs.

I think there will be multiple other chances to get the Special Edition. 3 hours at Toys R Us when everyone already knows how rare it might be is a long time.
There may be some chances, but likely not very many. Target and Walmart seem the best options, besides random B&M stores that could be some (limited) inventory.

The ToysRUs system was setup to limit orders to one per customer, yet still sold out in 3 h. Its listing was unannounced (to my knowledge) and during a work day. In contrast, the BestBuy listing for the SE was up for nearly 2 days immediately after the reveal, coupled with the possibility of using GCU's 20% off. Even Gamestop (at full MSRP) had the SE available for longer than 3 h.

All in all, I'm not sure about the total numbers for the SE shipped by Nintendo, but it seems to be selling out faster than the SE equivalent for both Windwaker HD (limited to one retailer) and Skyward Sword. I'm guessing the inclusion of the Switch case may have something to do with that, since that extra pack-in has extra functional utility during a new console launch window.

Eh, the case is pretty sweet to me. One of the more useful collectors items.

If you want the sword and dont want to go the ebay route. Keep checking Amazon's European sites. Their special edition comes with it.

Nintendo lunatics will spend anything to get what they want. I thank them for funding my hobby at times on things I would have otherwise wanted to keep for myself.

If you actually scored a Master's Edition, which I didn't, it's a no-brainer regarding what to do with it.
The Schwartz is strong in this thread.

I'm just saying on that first day, I'm sure all the fans who didn't watch the treehouse stream and weren't obsessively searching for info didn't find out about the ME and the SE until that night or that following morning. When the pre-orders were mostly gone.
Yeah, it was shown in the press materials that GoNintendo had shortly after the conference, and once I saw that started obsessively watching for updates on Amazon and Best Buy. Figured it was going to be like the MM SE (which I missed because I wasn't obsessively searching for it after that conference) or Fates SE (another fast turnaround from conference to sellout), and that turned out to be the case. At this point, waiting to see if Heroes gets an SE in the U.S., as well, as that would be another fast turnaround from announcement to sellout. Don't know when the SE/ME showed up on the Treehouse stream, but really got to watch for these SEs to be announced after the conferences nowadays. O.O

Sucks that this is the only Switch title worth getting for me but something is better than nothing. Hopefully pre-orders for the SE open up again too.

They don't ship to the US though for this item.
I was able to get an order for 3 in on Amazon.fr before they changed it to unable to ship to the US.

The EU special edition appears to contain the Master Sword + the soundtrack. This will have to be my Master's Edition. Guess I'll just combine it with my domestic SE.

Yeah, it was shown in the press materials that GoNintendo had shortly after the conference, and once I saw that started obsessively watching for updates on Amazon and Best Buy. Figured it was going to be like the MM SE (which I missed because I wasn't obsessively searching for it after that conference) or Fates SE (another fast turnaround from conference to sellout), and that turned out to be the case. At this point, waiting to see if Heroes gets an SE in the U.S., as well, as that would be another fast turnaround from announcement to sellout. Don't know when the SE/ME showed up on the Treehouse stream, but really got to watch for these SEs to be announced after the conferences nowadays. O.O
They showed up on stream around 11am (EST) I believe. Many hours before Best Buy listed everything. I obsessively stalked Best Buy afterwards, and only found out the rest of the stores had sold out already early in the morning when I came here.
Ugh..lesson learned I guess..=_=

I find it funny that Reggie spent time on describing the texture of the mask and the bulky looking case but next to nothing on the bent cheap $30 sword or the free leftover coin. Lol.
Yeah, the map is the only thing I don't care about in these CEs. I guess he was really trying to push it's value. It'd look nice if you put it in a small frame on a shelf, but it's certainly not worth much else.

Our special edition is going to be highly sought after overseas then. It looks like they split up the goods-gave the sword to Europe, to make more ce's. That's why the master edition is so rare.

There may be some chances, but likely not very many. Target and Walmart seem the best options, besides random B&M stores that could be some (limited) inventory.

The ToysRUs system was setup to limit orders to one per customer, yet still sold out in 3 h. Its listing was unannounced (to my knowledge) and during a work day. In contrast, the BestBuy listing for the SE was up for nearly 2 days immediately after the reveal, coupled with the possibility of using GCU's 20% off. Even Gamestop (at full MSRP) had the SE available for longer than 3 h.

All in all, I'm not sure about the total numbers for the SE shipped by Nintendo, but it seems to be selling out faster than the SE equivalent for both Windwaker HD (limited to one retailer) and Skyward Sword. I'm guessing the inclusion of the Switch case may have something to do with that, since that extra pack-in has extra functional utility during a new console launch window.
Yeah the switch case is a big reason why I'm getting the special edition. The cheapest standalone case is $30 I believe so that already makes the special edition a great deal for me.

FYI - I just noticed that the BoTW SE on BestBuy is now greyed out and listed as "Coming Soon", same as the ME.  Since it went OOS (at least in my region) a few days ago, it was still able to add it to the cart...without shipping or pickup options available. 

Now, it seems more likely that it's closed and unlikely to reopen.  As with any LE item, there may be a small influx of cancelled orders available on launch, when they are most likely to reopen the item. 

FYI - I just noticed that the BoTW SE on BestBuy is now greyed out and listed as "Coming Soon", same as the ME. Since it went OOS (at least in my region) a few days ago, it was still able to add it to the cart...without shipping or pickup options available.

Now, it seems more likely that it's closed and unlikely to reopen. As with any LE item, there may be a small influx of cancelled orders available on launch, when they are most likely to reopen the item.
LOL wonder if this has anything to do with that Bestbuy.com employee randomly cancelling people's orders yesterday so people he talks to on nowinstock chat can get them. It seemed pretty shady, but quite a few people over at nowinstock was able to score one cause he told them exactly when he's gonna cancel orders and make them available.

This was the status of the SE at Best Buy since the morning of the 14th for me.
It's possible that you live in a much higher-demand region where store pickup went faster. Although the ship to home option certainly went away first (since it's probably using a regional/national pool), I still had that available for quite a while for the SE (>1 day?).

I love the coin, but I think the price will come down. Few people were able to attend that event to get one.
It was closer to $50 shortly after E3 when there was more stock. Now the stock is drying up, so the price sits higher. Should be another dip after the SE/ME gets released as more coins come available on the market. Long-term, it'll probably stay high, though. Ever look for the DS cartridge given away at Nintendo's press conference that has the Twilight Princess video on it? Sucker is stupid high! Of course there was never any additional stock put out for it, either.

Anybody starting to have second thoughts on the Nintendo Switch? Lot's of disappointment so far, according to different sources.

Anybody starting to have second thoughts on the Nintendo Switch? Lot's of disappointment so far, according to different sources.

Yep. I don't think there's anyone rational out there who isn't disappointed. I'm only buying it because I'm a sucker for anything Nintendo, but I've ZERO doubt this thing is a flop in the long run, - even the short run.

bread's done
Back