Zelda delayed till 2006

I don't know why Nintendo is worried about releasing an incomplete game. The could just release whatever the have in November and then release The Legend of Zelda: The Twightlight Princess: The Lost Chapters in time for Holiday 2006. It's like printing money!

This is a painful double-edged sword.

On one hand, I'm glad that Nintendo cares enough, for whatever reason (the gamers, increased sales from a better game, more hype, etc.) to make sure that this game isn't done half-assed and is hopefully what everyone has been waiting for ever since the Gamecube came out. Using this as a lead-in to the Revolution, and possibly to even help boost the sales of the Revolution as a 'launch' title, since the system will be backwards compatible, is an interesting idea.

On the other hand... I fuckING WANT ZELDA NOW! :)

I truly hope that this game doesn't get overlooked with all of the XBox360 and PS3 hype, because it promises to be amazing, and the screenshots are proof that the jump to the next generation was a bit early, and that systems that are 37657 times more powerful than their predecessors aren't necessary to create great games with breathtaking graphics.

I'm...disappointed. At least it's one less game I'll have to buy this year.

I can't imagine Nintendo thinks it can go toe-to-toe with either Halo 3 or the PlayStation 3 (much less both), though--even with Zelda, there's no way it can hope to compete in that situation.

[quote name='defiance_17']I'm...disappointed. At least it's one less game I'll have to buy this year.

I can't imagine Nintendo thinks it can go toe-to-toe with either Halo 3 or the PlayStation 3 (much less both), though--even with Zelda, there's no way it can hope to compete in that situation.[/QUOTE]

It could compete if it came with 60fps game play, 480p resolution, 12 or so dungeons, a real challenge, an interesting story and new weapons and gameplay...

awwwww fuck fuckity fuck fuck. I like the prospects of more levels and all that, but I was really hoping for this one to come out this year. Looks like I'll be moving my pre-order to other games.

edit: http://zeldano.ytmnd.com/

[quote name='jkam']Why does everyone always want everything right away? [/QUOTE]

It's called "instant gratification," and it's behind most of the full price $49.99 software sales we see each year. Consumer X has to have his new Madden, Tony Hawk, etc. as soon as he possibly can and gladly pays top dollar to get it. This same consumer will happily forgive game bugs, missing content and features, etc. to have his Zelda today vs. waiting another 3-6 months.

[quote name='defiance_17']I can't imagine Nintendo thinks it can go toe-to-toe with either Halo 3 or the PlayStation 3 (much less both), though--even with Zelda, there's no way it can hope to compete in that situation.[/QUOTE]

In my mind it's the other way around. Zelda is far more important than either Halo or PS3 ... maybe I'm getting old. :lol:

Which leads me to wonder: do they create the interminable travel metaphor first or add that last?

"Lets give Link a magic motorcycle and all of the dungeon sites will be about the same distance as driving from Los Angeles to Phoenix."

"Cool, that is so realistic. We're creating something feels like a real world."

"Yeah, it's gotta feel real. Lets also make it so that the player has to actively maintain Link's balance while riding the motorcycle. If they don't pay attention he crashes."

No.

I...no. This...no.

NO. Can they do this? I...awwww....

NOOOOOO! This is like waking up to find find everyone you love dead. Only, y'know...different, or something. fuck analogies.

I'm sad.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']In my mind it's the other way around. Zelda is far more important than either Halo or PS3 ... maybe I'm getting old. :lol:[/QUOTE]

No you are totally right... but then again I'm getting old too... :D

[quote name='javeryh']No you are totally right... but then again I'm getting old too... :D[/QUOTE]

I'm not actually old yet ... I'll be 23 in December. But I feel old right now. :lol:

D'oh

I just read the news.

I guess we're all supposed to play nintendogs until zelda is released :whistle2:(

They could make up for this a little by making Starfox Assault and Double Dash finally go Players Choice.

Edit: and they weren't even building this game from scratch. I read it uses the Wind Waker engine.

[quote name='c']Also very damn true. I hate hearing the "yeah, we didn't have time to put Magus in / revive the dead FF7 character ..."[/QUOTE]

I probably missed this ... was there a point that Square was planning to bring [the FF7 character that died] back before the end of the game?

Also, Magus in what game? Chrono Trigger?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'm not actually old yet ... I'll be 23 in December. But I feel old right now. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm only 20 and I agree with you. I'm too young to be old!

I can see Microsofts celebration now... Even though they seem to be rushing the 360 out for this holiday.. Watch them delay that now..

I mean every other system and big seller has been pushed to 2006.

I am betting its going the way of Revo. It will sell systems and normally once someone has a Nintendo system they give it a chance. Its getting peope to get the system thats the problem. Zelda would solve that somewhat. Especially with the hype..

They will have something to fill the gap for sure.

[quote name='nwaugh']I probably missed this ... was there a point that Square was planning to bring [the FF7 character that died] back before the end of the game?

Also, Magus in what game? Chrono Trigger?[/QUOTE]
I could be wrong, but the ability to go back to Midgar on the 3rd disc of FF7 was supposedly the beginning of some method to revive the dead character. Maybe my source was wrong, dunno.

The director for Chrono Cross said he didn't have time to flesh out a storyline between Magus and Schala so was forced to cut him from Chrono Cross. Oh, wait, actually, I just read the interview again, and apparently, the reason that Magus was cut was due to the large number of characters.

Eee. I'd like to think that my point still remains, but I'm not so sure it does. Damn it, I'm so lame. Sorry. Anyway, Zeldazeldazelda.

The revo possibility does sound like it would be in the cubes better interest. This would breath life into the cube, but imo would give the revo a standing start against the ps3 and 360. But it would need to be graphically updated to utilize the revo power more.

So even though I the cube's further life looks bleak, zelda could have me buy the revo.

For the gba all I needed was castlevania cotm.. And with the DS being bundled with metroid and having a castlevania title announced sold me. IMO a castlevania handheld title because of the gba titles...is just as good as one of nintendo's first party games for system sellers.

btw.. I don't forget about the delays.... the n64 delay...the disc drive that never came for the n64 in the U.S. Delay. So my money went elsewhere until the 64 became dirt cheap.

No zelda for X-mas for me...

I with 360, and a bunch of kick ass PS2 RPG & DS games...

I don't mind waiting a bit for a better game...

[quote name='spoo']So Zelda is going to compete with FFXII in Japan? It has no chance in hell unless it is über fantastico x4.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in Japan... but worldwide... Zelda is more popular... I think...

It's going to be a tuff battle between the 2... no mattter which side your on...

So let the gaming begin... :)

i preordered zelda: twilight princess & ffxii from gamerush and they were both delayed :( who knows if that company will be around until march 2006 :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']In my mind it's the other way around. Zelda is far more important than either Halo or PS3 ... maybe I'm getting old. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, but unfortunately, we're in the minority. I have no interest in getting a PS3 next spring (or Halo 3 ever), but most "G4M3RZ!!!1" these days would all but completely overlook Zelda in that situation.

There are so many games coming out late this year/early next year, that I'm almost glad that I will have one less game to buy/try to find the time to play.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'm not actually old yet ... I'll be 23 in December. But I feel old right now. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I just turned 37 *TODAY* and I don't know what to think. Thanks for the birthday present Nintendo! :D

[quote name='io']I just turned 37 *TODAY* and I don't know what to think. Thanks for the birthday present Nintendo! :D[/QUOTE]

Happy birthday! :lol:

[quote name='Trakan']There are so many games coming out late this year/early next year, that I'm almost glad that I will have one less game to buy/try to find the time to play.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. There's too many good/great games coming out in the next few months. One less to buy makes my wallet a little happier.

you're not old, you're just not a dumbass. :lol:

[quote name='io']I just turned 37 *TODAY* and I don't know what to think. Thanks for the birthday present Nintendo! :D[/QUOTE]
Happy B-day!! Don't be discouraged, the tme will pass and other games will be played, but when Zelda does finally come out (for Revo) you will be so much happier that they waited and made so great. I know I will patiently wait for this game.

[quote name='defiance_17']I completely agree, but unfortunately, we're in the minority. I have no interest in getting a PS3 next spring (or Halo 3 ever), but most "G4M3RZ!!!1" these days would all but completely overlook Zelda in that situation.[/QUOTE]

You, sir, are my hero. I can finally rest in the knowledge that there are others. Thank you.

I would like for them to delay it, and make it a Revolution launch title. If it comes out on the cube, I can see the logic in that with the Revolution being backward compatible, it will move Revolution units. IF the Revolution doesn't offer much of a launch, I wouldn't see any reason to buy the revolution, when I can use my cube to play the new Zelda. If they are taking the time to make it a top level game, that will sell millions of units, then do it for the revolution, so they can sell millions of units of the game, and the system.

[quote name='ryanbph']I would like for them to delay it, and make it a Revolution launch title. If it comes out on the cube, I can see the logic in that with the Revolution being backward compatible, it will move Revolution units. IF the Revolution doesn't offer much of a launch, I wouldn't see any reason to buy the revolution, when I can use my cube to play the new Zelda. If they are taking the time to make it a top level game, that will sell millions of units, then do it for the revolution, so they can sell millions of units of the game, and the system.[/QUOTE]

Right on.

[quote name='ryanbph']I would like for them to delay it, and make it a Revolution launch title. If it comes out on the cube, I can see the logic in that with the Revolution being backward compatible, it will move Revolution units. IF the Revolution doesn't offer much of a launch, I wouldn't see any reason to buy the revolution, when I can use my cube to play the new Zelda. If they are taking the time to make it a top level game, that will sell millions of units, then do it for the revolution, so they can sell millions of units of the game, and the system.[/QUOTE]

I think they've got enough firepower behind the Rev launch. They should give us faithful, patient Gamecube owners what we've kept our system for. Business wise, it would be better as a rev launch title, as the rest of Nintendos franchises seem to have lost their ability to grab people outside of Nintendo fans.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I'm always a fan in time spent developing vs. getting me a 1/2 assed product RIGHT NOW, but as has been mentioned several times in this thread, spring 2006 is going to be a crazy time in the video game world. I don't even own a GC, but it seems cheap for Nintendo to release it solely for the Revolution at launch. I remember being fearful of Halo 2 slipping to the next Xbox, but I'd have rather had that than the rushed game that was (not trying to start a flame war, just stating an opinion).

Zelda will be fantastic when it comes out. Till then, go through and start at the NES Zelda 1 and play through every Zelda game made for a Nintendo system. Then repeat until TP comes out. ;)

daroga

Umm... guys. The exact same thing happened to Wind Waker. It was speculated to release around Christmas 2002, but Nintendo delayed it until March.

And everyone complained that it would sell poorly because it missed the holidays.

Did it? Hardly.

Well, I'm OK with a delay to this game. If it is to improve the game, that's fine with me. Plus, I probably wouldn't have the cash to pick up the game anyway. Also, I still have to play Wind Waker, which I received a few Christmases ago and still haven't opened... :)

[quote name='rohlfinator']Umm... guys. The exact same thing happened to Wind Waker. It was speculated to release around Christmas 2002, but Nintendo delayed it until March.

And everyone complained that it would sell poorly because it missed the holidays.

Did it? Hardly.[/QUOTE]

That's not really the same scenario. Would it have done better had it been released in time for the holidays? Very likely.
I'm sure most people who were looking forward to this are just disappointed that they have to wait the extra six months or so. The problem with this delay is the fact that it could line Zelda up with the two most anticipated launches of 2006. No hype from anything released in March 2003 can even be compared to this.
What does this mean for people like us? Likely nothing--I know I'll still be getting Zelda on day one, whenever it may be--but looking at the big picture, it could create a world of hurt for Nintendo. The fact is, when faced with choosing between the PlayStation 3, Halo 3, and Zelda, maybe one out of ten will go with Nintendo.

I can't believe I just traded in to preorder this game. September---March=7 MONTHS! That will be by far the longest preorder I've ever made. I'll be pissed if it morphs into a Revoltion launch title.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Wouldn't it be funny if Zelda is at three E3's in a row. (hopes no one already mentioned that)[/QUOTE]

That would make it an honorary Rare title. A Duke Nuke'm cameo would be in order as well.

[quote name='Sk']I hope nintendo is taking the time to pump up the resolution on some of the textures in the game. Some of them looked a little too muddy and not as crisp as I'd like.[/QUOTE]

Every time I read a statement like this I think of how this person is missing what playing video games is all about.

[quote name='defiance_17']Would it have done better had it been released in time for the holidays? Very likely.[/quote]
Maybe, but there's really no way of knowing for sure. Many top-selling games have released after the holiday season in the past (The Sims, Super Mario Bros. 3). Nintendo in particular seems to have had several big releases in the spring, because usually there's no major competition after Christmas.
I'm sure most people who were looking forward to this are just disappointed that they have to wait the extra six months or so.
Agreed, but I don't think it'll drastically affect the sales of the game. Zelda has been the most anticipated title on GameStats since Halo 2 was released. I doubt that the nearly 20 million GameCube owners will suddenly decide not to buy it because it's been delayed.
The problem with this delay is the fact that it could line Zelda up with the two most anticipated launches of 2006.
Yeah, that could hurt sales a bit, although I imagine Nintendo will try to use the Revolution to help boost sales. I know several people who don't have Cubes, but they're planning to get a Revolution along with Zelda because it looks more enticing. The Revolution's backward compatibility ensures that TP won't be forgotten as much as Majora's Mask was, since people can upgrade and still be able to play it.

This delay means nothing. Is there anyone out there who doesn't already own a GCN that is going to finally run out and buy one just to play Zelda? It will sell roughly the same amount of copies no matter when it gets released. Now if they held it back another 6 months and made it a Revolution launch title along with Mario 128 and a new SSBM that could alter the outcome of the next-gen wars for Nintendo - especially since Sony and MS are going to offer extremely overpriced consoles...

[quote name='javeryh']This delay means nothing. Is there anyone out there who doesn't already own a GCN that is going to finally run out and buy one just to play Zelda? It will sell roughly the same amount of copies no matter when it gets released. Now if they held it back another 6 months and made it a Revolution launch title along with Mario 128 and a new SSBM that could alter the outcome of the next-gen wars for Nintendo - especially since Sony and MS are going to offer extremely overpriced consoles...[/QUOTE]

It's a PR move to help build momentum for the Revolution launch. I get it and quite frankly I just don't care at this point. I'll play the game whenever it comes out. I'm sure there'll be other stuff to play this holiday season.

[quote name='javeryh']This delay means nothing. Is there anyone out there who doesn't already own a GCN that is going to finally run out and buy one just to play Zelda? It will sell roughly the same amount of copies no matter when it gets released. Now if they held it back another 6 months and made it a Revolution launch title along with Mario 128 and a new SSBM that could alter the outcome of the next-gen wars for Nintendo - especially since Sony and MS are going to offer extremely overpriced consoles...[/QUOTE]

Lets take this and the one below it for a minute..

Isnt it funny how almost every news article about Zelda being delayed also mentions the DS price drop? Its partially obvious that yes this was a planned PR move as we know Zelda will sell. Its one of the most hyped games to date. The DS news would have got out but not as quickly or as cheap as it has for Nintendo without this Zelda announcement...

Its a very well placed announcement. That highlightes the DS drop in perfect timing. With the release of some killer titles on the DS this fall its going to sell. Drop in the Micro and drop the Cube to $69.99 and Nintendo can again come through this winter with a decent amount of sales.

[quote name='jkam']Every time I read a statement like this I think of how this person is missing what playing video games is all about.[/QUOTE]
No way man, the textures on the N64 left everyone with a bad taste in their mouths. How am I supposed to play, take Ogre Battle for example, when even the character sprites are blurred into the background beyond recognition? Ocarina of Time had some of the most blurred textures ever. And for some reason, I get the impression that Nintendo thought it looked better that way. It's why late PS1 games looked so much better than anything the N64 put out - no blurry textures.

bread's done
Back