Zero Originality: The Gamestop Whistle Blower

[quote name='Access_Denied']Oh my god, it's fucking terrible. I have a friend who is forced to use it. (Works at Burger King I think.) He says it's freaking impossible to get money, and you have to pay fees. In my opinion, it should be illegal to not allow you the choice of direct deposit, or even checks you can cash at your bank/grocery store for free.[/QUOTE]

They allow direct deposit.

Personally, I think if you've got a job, you damn sure should have a bank account.

i loved the videos, very informative and kinda entertaining too...a play n trade opened up about 20 mins from me, i've been pretty curious to check it out, gamestop is a 5 min walk from my house :(
i remember a manager i was friends with at my local GS would complain about almost all of the things the guy mentioned in his videos, he quit and moved to oregon (hopefully not cause of GS :p )

Just watched the first video. Same shitty, easily refuted points that any idiot could see right through:

1. GS sells their games for the maximum amount that people will pay. If people coming in are willing to pay $55 for a used copy of GTA4 despite the fact that they can get it cheaper somewhere else, that’s life. It’s the consumer’s job to be well-informed about prices. GS has no obligation to price anything at any level other than what they are comfortable with. If you do not like the prices, you can take your money somewhere else. No one is forcing you.

2. If GS’s used games aren’t up to your quality standards, don’t buy them. Clearly, people are willing to buy games w/o cases or whatever, otherwise GS wouldn’t bother selling them.

3. Apply point 1 to their trade-in prices. If you don’t like it, don’t take it. They have no obligation to give you anything other than what they want.

missing cases is one thing, but consistently selling damaged product that requires a customer to return to the store is entirely another.

and in any event, if those were the only problems, or even the biggest problems -- that people had with GS, this thread wouldn't exist. check thru some of the other videos (or even some of the replies in this thread) for many more examples of Gamestop's offenses that warrant much more attention than simply their prices and missing cases.

His videos stated a lot of things that most of us CAGERS already know, but I found it interesting that he didn't explicitly state how, at some stores, the employees are the biggest jerks they can be. I would use stronger language, but I don't want to get Shaq Fu'ed. Oh well, let's face it, out of all the retail stores I frequent, I get more bad service from the asshole employees of Gamestop. Sure, there are a few Gamestops that have employees that are really helpful and will go out of their way for you, but there's a lot of them that employee some serious bastards.

My favorite example was when I politely asked one store why they stick the used price stickers on the inside of the game's paper insert so that I now have to be careful to unstick it after I purchase it, instead of just inserting an unpeeled sticker that won't risk ripping the paper insert. I was very polite when I asked this question and one of the employees retorted with g, "Oh, we just do what ever we feel like. We don't care if you have to unpeel it."

I'm not saying that every Gamestop has bad people working there. There just seems to be a higher percentage than most retail establishments. I blame management for this problem.

[quote name='evanft']Just watched the first video. Same shitty, easily refuted points that any idiot could see right through:

1. GS sells their games for the maximum amount that people will pay. If people coming in are willing to pay $55 for a used copy of GTA4 despite the fact that they can get it cheaper somewhere else, that’s life. It’s the consumer’s job to be well-informed about prices. GS has no obligation to price anything at any level other than what they are comfortable with. If you do not like the prices, you can take your money somewhere else. No one is forcing you.

2. If GS’s used games aren’t up to your quality standards, don’t buy them. Clearly, people are willing to buy games w/o cases or whatever, otherwise GS wouldn’t bother selling them.

3. Apply point 1 to their trade-in prices. If you don’t like it, don’t take it. They have no obligation to give you anything other than what they want.[/quote]

I absolutely agree with your points, the thing that amazed me about the video (if we take it all at face value) is the crappy way GS treats it's employees. And by crappy I mean borderline criminal.

[quote name='benjamouth']I absolutely agree with your points, the thing that amazed me about the video (if we take it all at face value) is the crappy way GS treats it's employees. And by crappy I mean borderline criminal.[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me to watch that one.

[quote name='Wolfman']His videos stated a lot of things that most of us CAGERS already know, but I found it interesting that he didn't explicitly state how, at some stores, the employees are the biggest jerks they can be. I would use stronger language, but I don't want to get Shaq Fu'ed. Oh well, let's face it, out of all the retail stores I frequent, I get more bad service from the asshole employees of Gamestop. Sure, there are a few Gamestops that have employees that are really helpful and will go out of their way for you, but there's a lot of them that employee some serious bastards.

My favorite example was when I politely asked one store why they stick the used price stickers on the inside of the game's paper insert so that I now have to be careful to unstick it after I purchase it, instead of just inserting an unpeeled sticker that won't risk ripping the paper insert. I was very polite when I asked this question and one of the employees retorted with g, "Oh, we just do what ever we feel like. We don't care if you have to unpeel it."

I'm not saying that every Gamestop has bad people working there. There just seems to be a higher percentage than most retail establishments. I blame management for this problem.[/quote]Not excusing the employee's response, but the reason is so customers can't easily swap price stickers from game to game.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Not excusing the employee's response, but the reason is so customers can't easily swap price stickers from game to game.[/QUOTE]

That would make sense if there weren't already two other stickers on the case. They have one one on the front and one on the back. The sticker on the spine is really just there so they can shove as many as possible on the shelves and bargain bins.

Just found these videos when searching for Gamestop's hardware trade-in policy. I really hope more people watch this, such as the average gamer, and learn more about how GS really works.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Just found these videos when searching for Gamestop's hardware trade-in policy. I really hope more people watch this, such as the average gamer, and learn more about how GS really works.[/QUOTE]

The hardware trade-in really grinds my gears. I did this first-hand, too. When I was younger and quite the douchebag, I sold G$ my XBOX. It was an old Thompson drive unit which was failing, but I told them that it was working F-I-N-E fine. Even more amazingly, between the time I left the store after asking them what the value for it was and the time it took me to get back in there to get it out of my car and trade it in, a rainstorm started. I had the system covered, but it wasn't covered enough. So once I got back inside the mall, I dried it off with my arms and my partially drenched shirt.

When I went back to G$, I was still sopping wet, and my system was mildly moist. They still took it as a working system. I even told them that they could test it first, and they didn't even try. What a bunch of morons.

[quote name='ninja dog']ITT, things that are store specific but are projected onto the whole chain. Great job.[/QUOTE]

Some things are store specific, some things are widespread, and some things are chain specific. I don't think anybody's confusing the three types of things.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Some things are store specific, some things are widespread, and some things are chain specific. I don't think anybody's confusing the three types of things.[/quote]

agreed.

Why in the world was this account suspended? I think between this and the Gamestop storing systems in the bathroom video, their lawyers are working overtime.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Why in the world was this account suspended? I think between this and the Gamestop storing systems in the bathroom video, their lawyers are working overtime.[/QUOTE]

Probably the G$ lawyers.

yeah.. i could just see GS lawyers wording out their attack.

"The GameStop logo used on these videos were all trademarked by GameStop Corporation and were used in a harmful way that makes us all cry from all of its truthfullness. You should remove it now or else i'll sue yo ass."

how_people_count_cash.jpg

You might be surprised how incredibly easy to get videos taken down from YouTube.
You definitely don't need a lawyer to make it happen. Once someone starts the process, I'm pretty sure YouTube just pulls all the videos listed in the complaint. Once a certain number of videos get removed, the account its suspended.

The burden is then on the YouTube account holder to file a counter-notice with YouTube. Once this happens, the "copyright holder" has to file a court order against the account holder within 10 days or the guy gets his account and videos back.

I'm guessing that whistlebowerzero won't want to reveal his personal information to YouTube or GameStop, so his stuff probably won't be coming back.

I watched about half of the first video, but I couldn't get over the way the guys talks :(. If he could learn to enunciate and pronounce each word clearly, the video would be much more watchable (listenable?).

[quote name='CheapyD']You might be surprised how incredibly easy to get videos taken down from YouTube.
You definitely don't need a lawyer to make it happen. Once someone starts the process, I'm pretty sure YouTube just pulls all the videos listed in the complaint. Once a certain number of videos get removed, the account its suspended.

The burden is then on the YouTube account holder to file a counter-notice with YouTube. Once this happens, the "copyright holder" has to file a court order against the account holder within 10 days or the guy gets his account and videos back.

I'm guessing that whistlebowerzero won't want to reveal his personal information to YouTube or GameStop, so his stuff probably won't be coming back.[/QUOTE]

That's... pretty sad. At least Gametrailers has bigger balls than Youtube.

[quote name='Chuplayer']That's... pretty sad. At least Gametrailers has bigger balls than Youtube.[/QUOTE]

Probably because YouTube is owned by Google, and Google has a ton of cash and doesn't want to even risk a lawsuit.

[quote name='Backlash']Probably because YouTube is owned by Google, and Google has a ton of cash and doesn't want to even risk a lawsuit.[/QUOTE]

So instead of "don't be evil" it's "don't do anything that might have the remotest possibility of getting us sued." But that's funny because I've seen entire episodes of TV shows on Google Video. Maybe WhistleBlowerZero should upload his videos there, too.

[quote name='Chuplayer']So instead of "don't be evil" it's "don't do anything that might have the remotest possibility of getting us sued." But that's funny because I've seen entire episodes of TV shows on Google Video. Maybe WhistleBlowerZero should upload his videos there, too.[/QUOTE]

:)

bread's done
Back