ZUNE and your X360 - ZUNE HD Now in 64GB - Latest Update Now Supports AVI/XviD

Damn...I might have to get me one of those...too sexy to pass up:

zunehd_engadget_main_1.jpg

Wow. I'd consider it if the price was right and my 30GB model went out of commission. Just support more video formats out the gate and I'm in.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn...I might have to get me one of those...too sexy to pass up:

[/quote]

Seriously it reminds me somewhat of the LG Dare..

But if Microsoft and Verizon do team up to release the Zune Phone..Apple is gonna be pissed :twisted:

Even if it's not a Zune Phone, a Zune Touch won't have a lot of storage space to begin with. No way in hell Microsoft is going to release a Zune Touch with 120 gigs to start with. They are probably going to follow the Itouch sizes like 8 and 16 gigs, then later 30, 80 and another 120.

More than anything I would like to see more Zune accessories on the market as it's still a bitch to find them at a B&M store for cheap.

If that ends up being a Zune Phone, Im in. Especially if its with Verizon since that the only service that gives me a signal where I live.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn...I might have to get me one of those...too sexy to pass up:

[/quote]

Damn that's sexy. Might have to sell my Touch if it does come out

[quote name='saunderscowie']If the new Zune is going to be touch I wonder what will make it different from the iPod touch.[/quote]

It's not made by APPLE... that's what will make it different. Perhaps it will be cheaper than the Touch and hold more memory than the launch Touch models.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I know, but now ANY touch screen device automatically gets compared to the iPod Touch/iPhone.[/quote]

The I touch isn't anything revolutionary. The technology was out there for years. It may have gotten cheaper over the years and Apple could have introduced this years ago. Believe me Apple is holding back a lot of technology. Anyways I won't be buying this new Zune unless it comes with anything bigger than a 120 gb storage.

Can anyone help me...

After I'm done charging my 30gb Zune and unplug it, my computer restarts by itself. After it turns on again, it tells me it just recovered from a serious error and needed to shut down to prevent any damage or something. I think it might be my computer, but nothing happens with my 4gb or 8gb Zune. I tried google but nothing came up.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Anyways I won't be buying this new Zune unless it comes with anything bigger than a 120 gb storage.[/quote]

This will probably be my first purchase of the Zune. If it can replace my phone that would be even better.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hope it has games with achievements tied to your Live profile.[/quote]

This!

I don't think I could part with my 120 GB of space on my Zune. Wonder if it will be flash based or hard drive based. I am guessing flash but wish they would go their own way with a hard drive based instead of copy Apple.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The I touch isn't anything revolutionary. The technology was out there for years. It may have gotten cheaper over the years and Apple could have introduced this years ago. Believe me Apple is holding back a lot of technology. Anyways I won't be buying this new Zune unless it comes with anything bigger than a 120 gb storage.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, whose alt account are you?

I'm guessing we'll see a 16/32/64 GB version to start out with. SSD has come down tremendously since the touch came out.

Either way, I'm not interested. I got my 8GB Zune for free, through Pepsi stuff, and that's good enough for me.

Yea see Apple needs to be pushed aside for a Zune Touch (HD). This Zune needs to offer something that a Touch can't.

BTW...does the Zune have a game library worth buying? I like the games that came with my zune preloaded.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I don't think I could part with my 120 GB of space on my Zune. Wonder if it will be flash based or hard drive based. I am guessing flash but wish they would go their own way with a hard drive based instead of copy Apple.[/QUOTE]

I think we can all figure out this question .
How many times have you dropped your cell phone ?

I think MS should put an extra 2GB in every new model , so they'll appear to be giving the consumer more .

[quote name='ITDEFX']BTW...does the Zune have a game library worth buying? I like the games that came with my zune preloaded.[/quote]

I don't believe that there are any games to buy...anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='Richlough']I think MS should put an extra 2GB in every new model , so they'll appear to be giving the consumer more .[/quote]

That'd be a nice extra.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't believe that there are any games to buy...anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

[/quote]

*SIGH*

oh well.

Well we can hope that MS has more developer support because I would love to see a PADD hack like the Itouch/Iphone has right now. That would be trek nerd awesomeness.

It needs something Xbox 360 related. You can sign in view your friends list, view/send message, browse the marketplace.

What do people think about wifi/web browser?

If MS can somehow get the alleged Zune HD up to 64 GB or even 128 GB of flash and keep it at $299 or $399 respectively, I'm sold. It's a long shot, especially for a 128 GB one, but $299 for 64 GB I could see and I'd probably buy.

I can't justify buying a music player with less than 120GB. My 80GB is almost full and I need to be able to upgrade.

I hope the memory on the ZuneHD is HUGE.

In other news, my zune succumbed to my car's dual cup holder in the console, and has died. A cup leaked from the bottom and it drowned in a sea of sprite. Repeated usb port to pants resuscitation failed. Yep, my 80 gig zune lasted a year and a few months.

It will not be replaced. Sadly, I'm going back to the ipod, where I can use itunes and easily manage my music.

I will miss my zune...and it's wide range of capabilities but yet never reached potential...

[quote name='strongpimphand']In other news, my zune succumbed to my car's dual cup holder in the console, and has died. A cup leaked from the bottom and it drowned in a sea of sprite. Repeated usb port to pants resuscitation failed. Yep, my 80 gig zune lasted a year and a few months.

It will not be replaced. Sadly, I'm going back to the ipod, where I can use itunes and easily manage my music.

I will miss my zune...and it's wide range of capabilities but yet never reached potential...[/quote]

Have you tried to dry it out like you do an iPod or cell phone when you get it wet?

ie: put it in a container of rice overnight.

Accidents happen. Things fall, and yes, things get wet. It's a part of life.

That's not too comforting, though, when accidents happen to expensive electronics. If you've dropped your Microsoft Zune in a puddle, pool, or even a toilet, don't panic; here's a few things that

you can do to minimize the damage.

1. Don't try to turn on the Zune.
Your first immediate thought is going to be, "I wonder if it still works," but don't try to turn your Zune on. Water and electricity generally don't mix together very well, and if water infiltrated your Zune then it's going to zap every part of the electronics once it's powered on. Don't try to charge it, either; you need to avoid sending electricity of any kind through the device.

2. Let your Zune dry out.
And by that, I mean simply let it sit in a well ventilated, dry area while the water evaporates. If you'd want to disassemble it (your warranty's already invalid, anyways), go ahead and do so and give it a few days of clean air. Don't try to blow dry the Zune, don't put it in the oven, and don't use any other risky methods that might cause heat or cold damage to the sensitive electronics of the device. You can clean the parts off if the water was especially dirty with a dry, clean towel, but be sure to make sure you're grounded before touching any electronics to avoid a static shock, which could make the problem worse.

3. Consider repair services.
If your Zune won't turn on after a few days, it's not necessarily completely wrecked. You may be able to use an online repair service such as Rapid Repair to replace a few of the parts and get it working again. Most companies will ask you to send the Zune in to them, at which point they'll estimate a cost and you can decide if the repair is worth it. If a fairly minor part isn't functional, it may certainly be worth it for you. Be sure to be honest when setting up a quote, though: repair services hate it when people lie, and will often charge more.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...ith_a_water_damaged_zune.html?cat=33#comments

....everything in this article I did do....like try to turn it on, try and charge it....

so yea....

[quote name='mtxbass1']Have you tried to dry it out like you do an iPod or cell phone when you get it wet?

ie: put it in a container of rice overnight.[/QUOTE]
i got some rice....i'll try that

i can't go without my music in my car....if i can't get a viable solution i guess i gotta pay the money for a new mp3 player :(

[quote name='Maklershed']^ x 2

No matter what the Zune HD is, I'm not buying anything less than 80gb.[/QUOTE]

Would you guys buy the Zune HD even if it was Hard drive based again?

I'm personally over hard-drive based players, and my Zune 80 is probably going to be the last player I have that is such.

OK, so here's a quick timeline for those who are interested....

Around noon I looked in my car and saw the dual cup holder had some sprite in it from a leaked fast food cup. Tapped dry my zune and tried to boot. no boot.

So, I run to the internet for suggestions. Even throw it in rice for about 5 hours. No boot.

OK, so I then try to plug it up via outlet. Still won't boot up

OK, so I connect the zune via usb cable and set the webpage on my firefox tab to the apple store....and go to play some left 4 dead for about 3 hours

I try to boot and BOOM! Full battery!!!!! I don't know if the zune got scared of being replaced or what, but thank goodness!

I have been having battery problems before today though, so I bet that didn't help the situation. It's just weird that it didn't show sign of booting up when I had it plugged up via wall outlet or when I initially tried to boot it via usb connected to my computer...

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Would you guys buy the Zune HD even if it was Hard drive based again?

I'm personally over hard-drive based players, and my Zune 80 is probably going to be the last player I have that is such.[/quote]

I don't have any objections to a hard-drive based player. In order to get the capacity I need (~15,000 albums in my collection) I've always needed a player with a hard-drive.

What's your objection to a hard-drive? The access time?

[quote name='bmachine']I don't have any objections to a hard-drive based player. In order to get the capacity I need (~15,000 albums in my collection) I've always needed a player with a hard-drive.

What's your objection to a hard-drive? The access time?[/QUOTE]

I just like the idea of the durability and longevity that flash-based memory offers. We just have different needs in our MP3 players I think. I only have about 30 gb being used on my Zune currently.

Also, more rumored Zune HD details:

Multi-touch OLED screen, 16:9 ratio (wow)
TV out port (rumored to be HMDI)
NVIDIA Tegra Chipsit for 3D gaming and possibly 720p video
Wireless sync
16 and 32 GB sizes (disappointing)
Web browser

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163153/more_zune_hd_details_emerge.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If it supports HD video, I really think it needs as much storage space as possible. Topping off at 32GB sounds like a big mistake IMO.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I just like the idea of the durability and longevity that flash-based memory offers. We just have different needs in our MP3 players I think. I only have about 30 gb being used on my Zune currently.

TV port (rumored to be HMDI)
Wireless sync
Web browser

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163153/more_zune_hd_details_emerge.html[/quote]

damn.

A TV port must be a video out port. I would expect component at best, but not HDMI.

Wifi connection to the net would be nice for a web browser.

The Nvidia Chipset is not needed. If this ends up with a 3d chip, your bet your ass people are going to want a Zune version of Halo.

16 to 32gb to start off with? Yea I knew it. No thanks, gonna wait for a 200 gb version.

[quote name='ITDEFX']damn.

A TV port must be a video out port. I would expect component at best, but not HDMI.

Wifi connection to the net would be nice for a web browser.

The Nvidia Chipset is not needed. If this ends up with a 3d chip, your bet your ass people are going to want a Zune version of Halo.

16 to 32gb to start off with? Yea I knew it. No thanks, gonna wait for a 200 gb version.[/QUOTE]

You're going to be waiting for awhile since the music player space is now shifting towards flash memory...

I was in Seattle last year for my sophomore year of college and signed up to test games at the Microsoft headquarters. The first time they called me in was for a Zune study which I happily accpeted. They had us make a collage of things that we as youth thought was 'cool' today, and then we talked for about 3 hours about what we liked about the Zune. I actually recommended in order to compete with the iTouch (the only MP3 player I would even consider buying instead of a Zune) was to make a touch Zune of some sort. I'm sure hundereds of others recommended the same thing so I'm glad they're listening to us Zune fans. I will def. buy this day one.

And on a side note I got to beat Gears 2 co-op a month before it was released which gave me some pretty awesome bragging rights for my gameing friends!

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I just like the idea of the durability and longevity that flash-based memory offers. We just have different needs in our MP3 players I think. I only have about 30 gb being used on my Zune currently.

TV out port (rumored to be HMDI)
Wireless sync
Web browser

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163153/more_zune_hd_details_emerge.html[/QUOTE]

OMFG.

If just the screen and chipset rumor are true, this will be huge.

I'm very skeptical of the OLED HD screen though, but if it is true that's a huge huge deal. Battery life will automatically be 5x (or higher) better than the itouch.

I'm sold on the Zune HD. When it comes out, I'm selling my 80GB Zune. I just hope it isn't maxing out at 32GB. That's way too small.

bread's done
Back