Zune HD worth it?

skateraXVIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
I was considering buying a Zune HD but wasn't sure if it was worth it. I don't want to buy an Ipod touch and I could care less about the apps. Anybody have any experience with the Zune HD? I would probably mainly use it to listen to music and occasionally use it for internet access.

It's an excellent player. Music playback is excellent, its interface is smooth and well designed. And it has a beautiful display. I enjoy mine very much.

I wouldn't say the first Zune was horrible - I used mine almost every day for about 3 years. But the HD is definitely much improved. Smaller with a much better interface. And the Zune subscription is what really makes the player worth owning. Being able to download nearly anything for $13/mo, and also getting 10 songs a month to keep is a really good deal.

Ditto what everyone else has said. Loved my 1st gen Zune, but the HD is REALLY nice. Don't regret it one bit.

I also bought one recently. Here's the Pro's

1) Nice interface, Nice screen, nice speed and responsiveness, nice battery
2) Small and light
3) HD Radio is nice for a change if you get tired of your own music.
4) Internet is workable in a pinch, but won't beat most phone browsers nowadays. If you don't have an internet capable phone, the Internet is better than nothing
5) IF you use Windows Media Center, and want to take your recordings with you, Your Zune HD will allow you to do so.
6) Zune Pass: This might not be for you at $15 a month, but you get the 10 free songs every month, and the selection, while not wonderful, is good enough if you like relatively mainstream music. If you're a obscure music lover, stay away, most obscure bands are not on the marketplace.

An aside about the pass: IF you do get a pass, you can put like 4 zune's on the same pass and 5 computers. So if you have another person to split the cost with, it becomes cheaper, and you both can get unlimited music. And, with how cheap last gen zune's usually are, its a pretty good deal.

Cons:
1) Accessories are expensive. Zune doesn't have the built in consumerbase, so you don't have as many third party accessories. I've only bought one accessory, and it was a $20 charger.
2) Podcasts are sort of a pain in the ass to add to your library, because most people are set up to add Itunes as a podcast, but not Zunes. So it usually requires surfing around until you find the Podcast RSS link, and then copy and pasting that into your zune software. Not a huge deal, but it might bug some people.

there is a thread somewhere here about zune hd vs ipod touch. If your looking to use digital copies of movies from dvd/blu ray discs (those that come with them), your going to be SOL as the files aren't supported by the zune software :( Your best route would be to rip and convert the movies manually.

Here is a con that people wont tell you about
While the AMOLED screen is purty there are problems with it.
There is a wave effect where from top to bottom of the screen experiences wave effect.
This is very visible when watching anime/color full cartoon.
This is the reason I sold my zune. You can find this by googling
There are also problems with the wifi. If you think you will be able to connect everywhere, think again.
The wireless chip in the zune is very selective of the wifi networks

[quote name='flit']I also bought one recently. Here's the Pro's

1) Nice interface, Nice screen, nice speed and responsiveness, nice battery
2) Small and light
3) HD Radio is nice for a change if you get tired of your own music.
4) Internet is workable in a pinch, but won't beat most phone browsers nowadays. If you don't have an internet capable phone, the Internet is better than nothing
5) IF you use Windows Media Center, and want to take your recordings with you, Your Zune HD will allow you to do so.
6) Zune Pass: This might not be for you at $15 a month, but you get the 10 free songs every month, and the selection, while not wonderful, is good enough if you like relatively mainstream music. If you're a obscure music lover, stay away, most obscure bands are not on the marketplace.

An aside about the pass: IF you do get a pass, you can put like 4 zune's on the same pass and 5 computers. So if you have another person to split the cost with, it becomes cheaper, and you both can get unlimited music. And, with how cheap last gen zune's usually are, its a pretty good deal.

Cons:
1) Accessories are expensive. Zune doesn't have the built in consumerbase, so you don't have as many third party accessories. I've only bought one accessory, and it was a $20 charger.
2) Podcasts are sort of a pain in the ass to add to your library, because most people are set up to add Itunes as a podcast, but not Zunes. So it usually requires surfing around until you find the Podcast RSS link, and then copy and pasting that into your zune software. Not a huge deal, but it might bug some people.[/QUOTE]

Hrm - the cons haven't been my experience. I have found charging cables, car chargers, etc. for dirt cheap through Amazon's third-party vendors. Average of $4-5 cables shipped. As for podcasts, maybe it's just what I listen to, but everything I've had an interest in has been listed on Zune for subscription (Giant Bombcast, Weekend Confirmed, Hot Spot, and of course the CagCast).

I love how durable my Zune HD is. Still not a single scratch on the device after 6-7 months of use, without it having a protective case.
I fall asleep listening to my favorite podcasts, and sometimes the Zune would fall off my bed (this happens often), and nothing would ever happen to it.
I love the HD radio too, for when I want to listen to something new... ;)

I love my Zune HD. Bought the 32GB the day it came out last Sept and haven't regretted it one bit. Best music player I have ever owned period. My only con? Wish I would have waited for the 64GB that came out a month ago. :D

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these in the next few months. Anyone create theirs at zuneoriginals.net? I would like to know how well the art or text engraving was done. Not that I have anything against platinum or silver (planning on getting a 32GB), but I like darker colors for my electronics' casing.

It's especially great if you get the Zune Pass. Unlimited music is awesome.
Hopefully the rumor comes true that they might be dropping to price to $10 per month.

Is there a reason it's called HD? Does it play HD video? I mean I'm tired of seeing HD thrown on games and such with clearly no HD in them.

EDIT : I googled and I see it does play HD video but I assume you need to buy an expensive cord to get it to play on a TV?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Traitorious']I'm thinking about grabbing one of these in the next few months. Anyone create theirs at zuneoriginals.net? I would like to know how well the art or text engraving was done. Not that I have anything against platinum or silver (planning on getting a 32GB), but I like darker colors for my electronics' casing.[/QUOTE]

I got mine thru zuneoriginals and the engraving and artwork was amazing. Very well done.

[quote name='phantasyx']Ipods are designed to break down in like 2 years, get a zune instead[/QUOTE]

You can easily avoid this by taking care of it.

[quote name='dmes65']I got mine thru zuneoriginals and the engraving and artwork was amazing. Very well done.[/QUOTE]
Good to know, thanks!

[quote name='dmes65']I got mine thru zuneoriginals and the engraving and artwork was amazing. Very well done.[/QUOTE]
I also did this. I got a blue 64 gig HD through zuneoriginals. I use it every single day. I probably use it more than I use my iPhone. You will not be the least bit disappointed by the HD, especially if you get the zunepass.

Is it worth the $125 extra to get the 64GB model over the 32GB Zune HD? I want to upgrade from my Zune 30GB since capacity is starting to become an issue and it's rather bulky to be carrying around, but I can't help but feel that that much more just for 32 more GB's of space is way too much.

Also, how much space do pictures take up on the Zune HD? With my 30GB, photos take up only a fraction of what they do on the computer. Is it the same with the Zune HD?

bread's done
Back