Opinions on Katamari Damacy

Parathod

CAGiversary!
IGN review: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/548/548201p1.html

This game looks kind of interesting. You run around making huge bundles of garbage that eventually take up whole cities. The game is super-japanese, complete with mega bright graphics, weird characters, and crazy music. Best of all, it's going to be $20 at launch. What do you guys think?

Like so many 'too Japanese' games from small publisher it won't sell worth a damn but will be swept up by CAGs when it gets cheap(er) and then rocket to great than sRP on eBay.

[quote name='RichD1']Small publisher? Namco is small? At $20, how can you go wrong with this game?[/quote]

Oops, I'd forgotten it was Namco.

$20 is more than I've spent on any one game in almost two years. Double the price in most cases. I can wait patiently for this one to turn up for $10 or less when I have literally hundreds of unplayed games already.

I dunno, $20 is cheap enough for me. Especially since this game gets good reviews and its so different and refreshing from all these unoriginal games that plague this industry.

AHHHHH MORGAN WEBB IS BACK!!!!!

anyways, this is on my "when i find it, i buy it list". I Love games like this.

[quote name='Wshakspear']AHHHHH MORGAN WEBB IS BACK!!!!!

anyways, this is on my "when i find it, i buy it list". I Love games like this.[/quote]

at least it is not MWL.

I plan on getting this game for Christmas. It looks really cool, but there are others I want more right now

There is a time to be cheap, and a time to not be cheap.

When you get the opportunity to both encourage import of unusual titles from Japan, and to respond positively to the precedent of a $20.00 price point, this is the time to buy a game at full price if ever there was one. Release week, no less.

Anybody who doesn't go out and buy this title this next week cares nothing for the gaming industry, and is a rotten pusspot to boot.
Heh. Seriously though, if you have the slightest interest in any of these loony Japanese titles (Mr. Mosquito, this, what have you), why let this flop and kill chances of any more coming over?

This is the best game I've played all year hands-down.

Shame on everyone with a PS2 that isn't lining up to preorder it....

Katamari Damacy, I want to roll you up into my life!

Too bad the ps2pc10 10% off code at Gamestop doesn't work on pre-orders or bundles. I go to college on Tuesday's and there's a Circuit City on the way, so i'll pick it up there if they have it.

Too bad the ps2pc10 10% off code at Gamestop doesn't work on pre-orders or bundles. I go to college on Tuesday's and there's a Circuit City on the way, so i'll pick it up there if they have it.

I went to gamestop yesterday to reserve it, and YOU CAN'T. Lame. Looks like I'll just have to go there the day it comes out to try and pick it up. Oh and seconded to soulyogurts thing about getting more weird japanese titles in the US. I don't even own a PS2 yet and I'm buying it, just cause I know if I wait I'll be paying a lot more. Rez anyone?

[quote name='soulyogurt']There is a time to be cheap, and a time to not be cheap.

When you get the opportunity to both encourage import of unusual titles from Japan, and to respond positively to the precedent of a $20.00 price point, this is the time to buy a game at full price if ever there was one. Release week, no less.

Anybody who doesn't go out and buy this title this next week cares nothing for the gaming industry, and is a rotten pusspot to boot.
Heh. Seriously though, if you have the slightest interest in any of these loony Japanese titles (Mr. Mosquito, this, what have you), why let this flop and kill chances of any more coming over?[/quote]

I do not consider it my obligation to open my wallet out of support for the cause of an economic endeavor. I am a CAG. That means I don't pay SRP if it can be at all avoided. Not when I have huge numbers of unplayed games. If Namco cannot be bothered to put some PR effort behind this game, including the price, it is their problem, not mine. If my big concern was access to weird-ass Japanese games I'd buy more imports. So long as the native market makes them viable they will continue to be available by that means.

At heart, I do agree with epobirs, but when a game is released at a discount price and it's actually better than the new $50 games, I don't mind splurging. Virtua Fighter 4:Evo, Space Channel 5: SP, and the upcoming Phantasy Star Trilogy Collection all fall under this category. Plus, you never know... games like these sometimes just dissapear into obscurity, I never even heard of it till a week or so ago. So, if I miss out on scoring this one for $5 at next year's circuit city sale, I don't think i'll be losing sleep over it.

Maybe if you did something with your life other than post messages on this board, then you'd be able to get into some of those hundreds of unplayed games, among other things...
Says you became a member at the end of April and have 2200 plus posts, that's pretty pathetic, you know?
-Goatman

[quote name='epobirs'].... I am a CAG. That means I don't pay SRP if it can be at all avoided. Not when I have huge numbers of unplayed games. If Namco cannot be bothered to put some PR effort behind this game, including the price, it is their problem, not mine. If my big concern was access to weird-ass Japanese games I'd buy more imports. So long as the native market makes them viable they will continue to be available by that means.[/quote]

Well, this is well below the generally proffered SRP, and I think my point stands that if you want to get games at a price somewhere less than $50, as we all here at CAG do, it's in our own self-interest to not let the industry's moves in our direction go without reward. Vote with your dollar... if you want prices to stay at $50, don't bother purchasing games that come out at less than half the usual SRP.

Flexibility. If we become stuck in our CAG dogma, we're bound to become no better than THEM.
*snork*

[quote name='soulyogurt'][quote name='epobirs'].... I am a CAG. That means I don't pay SRP if it can be at all avoided. Not when I have huge numbers of unplayed games. If Namco cannot be bothered to put some PR effort behind this game, including the price, it is their problem, not mine. If my big concern was access to weird-ass Japanese games I'd buy more imports. So long as the native market makes them viable they will continue to be available by that means.[/quote]

Well, this is well below the generally proffered SRP, and I think my point stands that if you want to get games at a price somewhere less than $50, as we all here at CAG do, it's in our own self-interest to not let the industry's moves in our direction go without reward. Vote with your dollar... if you want prices to stay at $50, don't bother purchasing games that come out at less than half the usual SRP.

Flexibility. If we become stuck in our CAG dogma, we're bound to become no better than THEM.
*snork*[/quote]

Who, pray tell, is them?

I think I've made it clear that I'm not interested in paying $20 for a novelty item like this. I make no pretense of driving the market. Past evidence has shown that this kind of item simply doesn't do strong business at any price. The average shopper looks at it, goes WTF? in his head, and put the box back on the shelf. It's well below the typical SRP because that is the only basis by which it will receive consideration from those who don't have any particular interest in the oddball genre.

I prefer to save money and be able to apply that savings to still more purchases or actual necessities. I was a CAG long before this web site existed and put a name on the policy. I have every confidence that I'll be able to get this game for at least $5 to $10 less within a year. That is the thing you're really missing. I don't get pent up with excitement waiting for major releases in any media, be it book, game, or film. I am immune to PR hype. If it's any good when it's released it will still be just as good when the price drops to what I find acceptable.

Castle Shikigami 2 will be coming out at a mere $10. I may buy it if I feel a real need for a scrolling shooter but if I don't feel the urge I can wait until the store has a sale or promotion that drops it down lower. Given a choice between a mortgage payment and a full-price game, regardless of wht that price is, the mortgage is going to win every time.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']Maybe if you did something with your life other than post messages on this board, then you'd be able to get into some of those hundreds of unplayed games, among other things...
Says you became a member at the end of April and have 2200 plus posts, that's pretty pathetic, you know?
-Goatman[/quote]

Look Lurker-boy, if you were at all fimiliar with those message you'd know that it was not for lack of time to play. It is more for lack of sutained interest. Once I start a game I tend to play it intently until completion but I often go long periods when I just don't feel like starting one. Such is life.

It may seem a terribly time consuming thing to you for someone to post so many messages, especially considering your miniscule participation in your time here but for those of us with the ability to type at a good pace and the wit to supply the material at an equal pace it isn't a great chore. Especially when work often entails spending long periods by the computer waiting for responses from coworkers and/or clients or waiting on systems to finish performing a task. In other words, I'm often getting paid while making posts to CAG.

im buying this and dogs life...when do they both come out? i wanna pre-apologize for buying dogs life...i just cant help but want to experiment in making a dog take a shit on a cop car

Dog's life is already out and this game comes out on the 21st... It matters how nice your Bestbuy is, mine normally carries games like La Pucelle and other niche titles.

[quote name='epobirs'].... That is the thing you're really missing. I don't get pent up with excitement waiting for major releases in any media, be it book, game, or film. I am immune to PR hype. [/quote]

At no time did I mention hype, encourage it, or in any other way engage in any relation to hype. My entire message related to communicating consumer response to the game companies, a process you are not engaging in, by only purchasing things after the loss point has been crossed. But don't say you don't drive the market... you elect not to participate. You can't deny that if Katamari Damacy is a huge hit it would not help encourage the $20 price point for other titles, or help encourage some other japanese games that are thought of as 'too Japanese' to be released here. Also, it's presence here, along with good word of mouth (Rez) would help to get the American consumers to open their minds to more of the Japanese market, or even just to experimentation in general. Wouldn't it be great if some of the publishers out there pushing our games into safe genres got the message that allowing a little creativity and risk can pay off. There are a million reasons to buy this title if it is at all decent. This has nothing to do with any hype (what hype? you complain once of Namco not publicizing the title. Any hype is critical response from reviewers and consumer anticipation based on those reviews... Has Namco been pushing this or not?). Wait for clearance and forget participating in positive consumer feedback, but don't pretend you are not gving any feedback. If it flops, you're counted among the 'No' votes. All it takes for bad games to triumph is for good men to do nothing. [/swelling_background_music]

[quote name='epobirs']If it's any good when it's released it will still be just as good when the price drops to what I find acceptable.[/quote]

And the sequel will never make it to our shores, thanks to it not selling till it made it to the clearance bin. How many titles are we going to be able to get rereleased due to consumer anticipation?

[quote name='epobirs']Castle Shikigami 2 will be coming out at a mere $10. I may buy it if I feel a real need for a scrolling shooter but if I don't feel the urge I can wait until the store has a sale or promotion that drops it down lower.[/quote]

But if you are interested in the continued existence of side-scrollers, your self-interest in purchasing this game at the initial price point would be different than if you have an indifferent response to the genre. This whole discussion came from you responding to my pleas to those who care about influencing game publication and pricing. If you don't care, whatever.

And if you have to ask who THEY are.....

I've had this pre-ordered for over a month now, I'm glad the reviews confirmed my optimisim for this game, it's really lookin awesome. Unlike some others, I feel that we should be supporting these types of games (which is why I've had Chulip pre-ordered for 2 months) if people aren't buying these nutty Japanese games at 20$ (which is dirt cheap, lots of you guys are just really really spoiled from the CC sale) then no one will publish these games here and I won't be able to play them. I can't import because I don't know Japanese, so I really hope these games do well over here. It's up to everyone to make their own decision, but if you must be a super mega cheapass about this game, at least get it with a GGC or target raincheck, that way you get it cheaper and support these games.

Alls I have to say is it's stupid to buy a game 'just' to support it if you have no interest in playing it. It boils down to if you think it would appeal to you and it sounds interesting, buy it. If not then don't. Not that hard.

[quote name='scsg75']Alls I have to say is it's stupid to buy a game 'just' to support it if you have no interest in playing it. It boils down to if you think it would appeal to you and it sounds interesting, buy it. If not then don't. Not that hard.[/quote]

Well that goes without saying, of course if you aren't interested don't get it, I was refering to people who are interested but are on the fence.

[quote name='jimbodan']I've had this pre-ordered for over a month now, I'm glad the reviews confirmed my optimisim for this game, it's really lookin awesome. Unlike some others, I feel that we should be supporting these types of games (which is why I've had Chulip pre-ordered for 2 months) if people aren't buying these nutty Japanese games at 20$ (which is dirt cheap, lots of you guys are just really really spoiled from the CC sale) then no one will publish these games here and I won't be able to play them. I can't import because I don't know Japanese, so I really hope these games do well over here. It's up to everyone to make their own decision, but if you must be a super mega cheapass about this game, at least get it with a GGC or target raincheck, that way you get it cheaper and support these games.[/quote]

CAGs are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall market. If the games fail to sell sufficiently well at low prices to merit future releases of similar product it is the failure of the product in that region and nothing more.

This is the difficulty of having non-mainstream tastes. The stuff is harder to find and often comes at a cost. Don't let a lack of Japanese language skills dissuade you. Many great imports requires virtually no understanding of the text, if any. In some case the manual can be found translated online at GameFAQs and other sites. Some imports with only minor amounts of text have it already in English. It can be worth investigating this if there is something you really want and are will to pay the price in cost and/or effort.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='jimbodan']I've had this pre-ordered for over a month now, I'm glad the reviews confirmed my optimisim for this game, it's really lookin awesome. Unlike some others, I feel that we should be supporting these types of games (which is why I've had Chulip pre-ordered for 2 months) if people aren't buying these nutty Japanese games at 20$ (which is dirt cheap, lots of you guys are just really really spoiled from the CC sale) then no one will publish these games here and I won't be able to play them. I can't import because I don't know Japanese, so I really hope these games do well over here. It's up to everyone to make their own decision, but if you must be a super mega cheapass about this game, at least get it with a GGC or target raincheck, that way you get it cheaper and support these games.[/quote]

CAGs are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall market. If the games fail to sell sufficiently well at low prices to merit future releases of similar product it is the failure of the product in that region and nothing more.

This is the difficulty of having non-mainstream tastes. The stuff is harder to find and often comes at a cost. Don't let a lack of Japanese language skills dissuade you. Many great imports requires virtually no understanding of the text, if any. In some case the manual can be found translated online at GameFAQs and other sites. Some imports with only minor amounts of text have it already in English. It can be worth investigating this if there is something you really want and are will to pay the price in cost and/or effort.[/quote]

I know we aren't the mainstream of gamers, but I'd venture to say that many of us are the target audience of these publishers. The average gamer probably isn't going to give Katamari much of a chance, but people like us who are knowledgable about these games are the ones most likely to buy, plus every little bit helps :)

If the game isn't in my language, I have about 0 interest in playing it. except for a couple shumps (I hate fighting games so there goes the other non language intensive genre), but my main interest is RPG's, and they are pretty much unplayable if you don't know japanese I hate not being able to read all the dialogue and jumping back and forth between gamefaqs and my tv isn't fun either. Until I learn Japanese, I just have to hope that these games come translated stateside. Where the hell is Giftpia?!?!

[quote name='soulyogurt'][quote name='epobirs'].... That is the thing you're really missing. I don't get pent up with excitement waiting for major releases in any media, be it book, game, or film. I am immune to PR hype. [/quote]

At no time did I mention hype, encourage it, or in any other way engage in any relation to hype. My entire message related to communicating consumer response to the game companies, a process you are not engaging in, by only purchasing things after the loss point has been crossed. But don't say you don't drive the market... you elect not to participate. You can't deny that if Katamari Damacy is a huge hit it would not help encourage the $20 price point for other titles, or help encourage some other japanese games that are thought of as 'too Japanese' to be released here. Also, it's presence here, along with good word of mouth (Rez) would help to get the American consumers to open their minds to more of the Japanese market, or even just to experimentation in general. Wouldn't it be great if some of the publishers out there pushing our games into safe genres got the message that allowing a little creativity and risk can pay off. There are a million reasons to buy this title if it is at all decent. This has nothing to do with any hype (what hype? you complain once of Namco not publicizing the title. Any hype is critical response from reviewers and consumer anticipation based on those reviews... Has Namco been pushing this or not?). Wait for clearance and forget participating in positive consumer feedback, but don't pretend you are not gving any feedback. If it flops, you're counted among the 'No' votes. All it takes for bad games to triumph is for good men to do nothing. [/swelling_background_music]

And the sequel will never make it to our shores, thanks to it not selling till it made it to the clearance bin. How many titles are we going to be able to get rereleased due to consumer anticipation?

But if you are interested in the continued existence of side-scrollers, your self-interest in purchasing this game at the initial price point would be different than if you have an indifferent response to the genre. This whole discussion came from you responding to my pleas to those who care about influencing game publication and pricing. If you don't care, whatever.
[/quote]

I honestly couldn't give a damn one way or another. The world does not owe me entertainment. It is up to me to find it where I feel the price is right. If that is economically unviable for the publisher I'll find something else to do with my time. We're talking about luxury goods here, not something you experience great suffering for lack of having. If the market cannot serve my desires at the price I'm willing to pay then too bad for me. But I find that the market does serve my desires at my preferred price with great regularity provided I exercise a bit of patience.

This is what I meant by hype. The only reason I would possibly pay SRP for this game is if I felt overwhelmingly compelled to purchase it soon after release. Since I don't I need only wait until the price is right and if I still feel any interest. If I had been offered 'Enter the Matrix' at it time of release for 50% of its SRP I might have been tempted. However, after the passage of time and considerable negative opinion I would consider even that price too high. $15 is the most I would consider for a sealed unit but I'll likely get for $10 or less eventually. I can wait. It isn't like I have a gaping 'Enter the Matrix' shped hole in life demanding to be filled.

You really have to be kidding to even hypothesize that KD could become a huge hit. Namco certainy isn't expecting that. If they had the slightest belief this was anything other than a nice niche title they would have given it more accessible name for mainstream North American shopers and a higher price point. This is bubblegum by the checkout stand. A little added profit center that people pick up on whim while making a higher profile purchase.

As for sequels, you're arguing from fallacy again. CAGs are inconsequential in the market. Our place in the financial ecosystem is to speed up the clearance sale process so (hopefully) more worthy product can occupy the shelves.

The idea that my reluctance to spend is somehow giving advantage to bad games is equally fallacious and an appeal to snobbery. What you're really saying is that the mainstream cannot be trusted to make their own choices. Again, if Namco thought this had a chance in hell of playing well in the mainstream they'd make an effort to reach those people. They don't have that illusion, though.

It is a mistake to assume I should be concerned with my place in the market. I am extremely far from the consumer mainstream. Most people who see my collection are baffled as to why I would have so many games. They have a hard time understanding that my interest is more than play and isn't collecting. I'm given to studying it as an art form and this means examining many things I don't necessarily want to play because they were executed in an interesting fashion in terms of production design or a clever algorithm. This is a potentially very expensive habit and my buying habits keep it in check.

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='epobirs']
[/quote]

I know we aren't the mainstream of gamers, but I'd venture to say that many of us are the target audience of these publishers. The average gamer probably isn't going to give Katamari much of a chance, but people like us who are knowledgable about these games are the ones most likely to buy, plus every little bit helps :)

[/quote]

Don't assume that my desire for a lower than $20 price will only manifest in a non-profitable purchase of the game. If this were the case there would be no GH, PH, and PC titles in the stores. There are plenty of Ps1 and PS2 titles launched these days at $10 and more on the way. It isn't going to be terribly suprising for a $20 release to eventually drop to the price while remaining a viable product.

This is the kind of game that is beautiful in its simplicity, I am definitely gonna go to gamestop and pick it up, even though here in Puerto Rico 19.99 games are always marked up to 24.99. This and the new guilty gear are bargains we cant afford to miss.

Bump for the 21st. Anyone find it yet? After work im going to go take a good look! I want happy fun time ball rolling!

Checked a few places yesterday, and they told me to come back...today. So after i'll be on my way to GS and will post impressions later

called a few stores every hour this morning with no luck, unless you think check back later is luck....i finally had one guy at eb tell me that its been pushed back til tomorrow for some reason....

[quote name='trustcompany1013']called a few stores every hour this morning with no luck, unless you think check back later is luck....i finally had one guy at eb tell me that its been pushed back til tomorrow for some reason....[/quote]

...lazyness? :)

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='trustcompany1013']called a few stores every hour this morning with no luck, unless you think check back later is luck....i finally had one guy at eb tell me that its been pushed back til tomorrow for some reason....[/quote]

...lazyness? :)[/quote]

laziness or cad (cheap ass driver)...or both... :twisted:

:) I meant the worker who was probably too lazy to get off his ass to check.

(BTW, im working retail at this very moment, being pissed at my own workers, so making fun of stupid game store employees is perfectly fine)

There is exactly *1* copy (pre-ordered for someone else) in Novi, the major city around here. Im going to call around, but as of now...zip.

I just called my local EB and they're going to hold the only copy for me (of course they know me - I'm a regular) until I get off of work! Dare I say...w00t!

I'll be playing it after work very soon... I had pre-ordered it a while ago with free 2-day shipping. It shipped last night around 7pm and had a failed delivery this morning at 10am already. Very speedy delivery :) I'll be picking it up from the airport after work ;)

I put $20 in credit at EBGAMES that I didn't use one a trade-in for Pikmin 2 (got it at Target for $28 with raincheck).

Katamari is supposed to be in today but the EB employee doesn't know if it came in or not . . . #@*&$

I guess I can't have it today cause I need to get home . . . damn it!

I really hate EBGames . . . this is the only thing they do and they don't know for sure if my game came in or not??????????????????

[quote name='schultzed']I put $20 in credit at EBGAMES that I didn't use one a trade-in for Pikmin 2 (got it at Target for $28 with raincheck).

Katamari is supposed to be in today but the EB employee doesn't know if it came in or not . . . #@*&$

I guess I can't have it today cause I need to get home . . . damn it!

I really hate EBGames . . . this is the only thing they do and they don't know for sure if my game came in or not??????????????????[/quote]

Perhaps you should change your nick to Munsoned

bread's done
Back