CONFIRMED:HDMI-enabled black Xbox 360 out on April 29!

I am tired of April Fools. It could be real, since they DO say Kotaku got confirmation that is isn't an april fools hoax, but didn't microsoft come out and say there would be no new system for a while?

They edited the article, appearently its confirmed. Which is really weird to believe that MS would let GI have an exclusive before they officially announce it themselves:

Ed's Note: Matt Helgeson, senior editor over at Game Informer, just dropped us a line to let us know that the story is in fact true. As a rule they don't post fake news stories in their April mag. So go celebrate.

I posted this in the other thread, but supposedly GI printed the info too early. Microsoft will have a press release ready later this month.

Does that mean the Premium is going to drop in price? I am considering selling my 360 to get the black one but if it means the Premium is dropping, I'll have to do it much sooner than expected.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']They edited the article, appearently its confirmed. Which is really weird to believe that MS would let GI have an exclusive before they officially announce it themselves:[/QUOTE]

Nice. I'll be cashing in my warranty, losing the annoying as fuck power brick that's probably close to burning down my house, and hopefully playing 360 games with less background noise.

EBgames employees are saying they have the prices for two SKUs, one at $230 and one at $480.

If the $230 doesn't have a HD, I'm pissed.

this is a tough call..still no built in Wi-fi and (to a lesser extent) no HD-DVD. It's not much of an upgrade, imo, but then again, it's not that much more money.

I can't imagine why I would need a bigger HDD and my TV doesn't support HDMI, but if this build is higher quality and quieter, I'll go for it when I rebuy a 360. and it's black, which is nice. I got sick of white on something other than Ipod or PSP. Still, this seems pretty random.

Really not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a step forward for Microsoft, and on the other, it's a Shadow Punch to the balls of everyone who already owns a 360.

[quote name='JJSP']Really not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a step forward for Microsoft, and on the other, it's a Shadow Punch to the balls of everyone who already owns a 360.[/quote]

I don't see it that way. Better cheaper technology is currently available for them to make this. Just like the SNES, PSOne, and Slim PS2, redesigns yeah it took them longer to redesign but you still have a choice keep and enjoy what you have or if you really need to have the latest, trade in/sell your old one and upgrade.

Geez, I can sell my Premium 360 on ebay for 350 used with Madden 2006. Add shipping to that and I may just pay for most of the new system. I would gladly pay an extra $100 for an extra 100gb and a system that doesn't sound like a 747 (hopefully the sound is the main correction).

I turned on my 360 for the first time in a month (been playing the Wii) and started downloading some demos and had to turn the system off because of the sound. Maybe I am getting more easily annoyed as I get older, but it pissed me off.

[quote name='JJSP']Really not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a step forward for Microsoft, and on the other, it's a Shadow Punch to the balls of everyone who already owns a 360.[/QUOTE]
No, it definitely isn't.

If this means that more consoles will be sold, it means the 360 will do better, it means more games will come to the 360.

This is definitely good news for anyone who has invested money in the 360.

But I still think it has good chances of being an April fools joke.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't see it that way. Better cheaper technology is currently available for them to make this. Just like the SNES, PSOne, and Slim PS2, redesigns yeah it took them longer to redesign but you still have a choice keep and enjoy what you have or if you really need to have the latest, trade in/sell your old one and upgrade.[/QUOTE]

They should have waited to refine it even more, imo. Like with a slim 360 that's more energy efficient. this really seems too soon, though this will be the model I end up with for sure.

[quote name='PyroGamer']EBgames employees are saying they have the prices for two SKUs, one at $230 and one at $480.

If the $230 doesn't have a HD, I'm pissed.[/quote]One would think if the $230 is a price drop for either core or premium, they would be able to tell that pretty quick, since the SKU is already in the system. But I don't see them dropping the premium to $230, and eliminating the premium completely (or replacing it with the $480 model, I suppose) is going to eliminate some of their price competitiveness. Regardless of the difference in specs between the $480 model and the $600 PS3, there's only a perceived $100 difference, instead of the $200 prior.

I really think it's a good deal compared to the current $399 version. 100gb of storage seems like too much, but I ran out of space on the first day I had the system (downloaded too many demos). I would like to keep all of the demos and games on the HD without worrying about space.

What will HDMI do for the 360 games though? They weren't made for it were they, so will we even see a difference in graphics?

The only thing I can see the $230 model being is an "upgrade" system or something. how much more core could the core get?

[quote name='PyroGamer']No, it definitely isn't.

If this means that more consoles will be sold, it means the 360 will do better, it means more games will come to the 360.

This is definitely good news for anyone who has invested money in the 360.

But I still think it has good chances of being an April fools joke.[/quote]
It'd be a hell of a joke.

If it results in fun and new franchises coming to the 360, I'm all for it. Hopefully we'll get more stuff like Viva Pinata instead of the onslaught of shooters.

I just sorta wish Microsoft would properly address the issues with the current system. An extra 100GB on the hard drive is sorta useless (is the Marketplace REALLY selling that many movies and shows?), and the HDMI is nice, but there's still a small market out with the technology to take advantage of that.

Meh, I'm just skeptical. Excited, but skeptical.

Since this black xbox is built solely with IPTV in mind, I can't imagine it not having wireless built in to the unit. Who wants to run an ethernet cable across the living room floor (aside from me) or through the walls? HD enthusiasts who want IPTV will want it to be wireless, and I don't think MS is quite that greedy/stupid to make them pay an additional $100. However, I've been wrong before....

I'm looking forward to an add-on 120GB drive. It'd be nice to have a quieter system, but honestly, I tune it out after a while.

I had been planning on picking this up, but if it is $80 more then what I paid, I think i can handle getting buy on my current premium system for a little while longer

I'm not sure what my plan of action will be for this. Although all the new features/additions sound good, my money pool isn't quite so high right now where I can toss out $100 bucks. And besides that, the size of the HDD is fine with me right now, as I don't download anything but demos (which I don't keep long) and an arcade game every now and then. The color of the 360 makes no difference to me, because I already have a skin for mine that completely covers it. Also, I've had mine since launch and still hasn't even shown a bit of trouble (just jinxed myself).

Although I do like nice, shiny, new things, for me as of now I think I am better off sticking with what I have.

A question I have been asking since the rumor started though, does this mean black controllers and other accessories? Maybe even a new controller (return of "The Duke" controller hopefully)?

I'm just wondering if they are going to come out with some type of device so that you can transfer all of the stuff that's in your current HD to the new bigger HD.

I am disappointed that this thing isn't coming with an HD DVD drive. It's really the sort of thing HD DVD needs right now to combat other consoles trojan horses.

[quote name='CAG 79']I'm just wondering if they are going to come out with some type of device so that you can transfer all of the stuff that's in your current HD to the new bigger HD.[/QUOTE]

According to March's GI, "if something were to happen to your 360, getting back what is rightfully yours should be simple. After you recover your gamer profile on the new console and enter the LIVE marketplace, the stuff you previously bought and downloaded will be marked and available for free download."

$480? Shit, that makes the PS3 look like a fuckin' steal at that price.

Where's propellor-head to tell me that I was right and he was wrong?

I have been delaying a 360 purchase until a price drop and/or a redesign. I now have accumulated a few cheap 360 games and am getting anxious to play them, but $480 for HDMI and 100GB... :roll: I think it is dangerous for MS to increase the price closer to the PS3.

Is there talk about the 360 being able to record TV programs like TIVO? Then I would embrace the large HD.

[quote name='botticus']One would think if the $230 is a price drop for either core or premium, they would be able to tell that pretty quick, since the SKU is already in the system. But I don't see them dropping the premium to $230, and eliminating the premium completely (or replacing it with the $480 model, I suppose) is going to eliminate some of their price competitiveness. Regardless of the difference in specs between the $480 model and the $600 PS3, there's only a perceived $100 difference, instead of the $200 prior.[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping that the $230 has a hard drive.

I mean, if Microsoft Really couldn't afford puttiing a 20GB hard drive on a $230 product, they could definitely sell it for $250 and still compete with the Wii.

I have $120 in Gamestop credit saved up that I'm probably never going to use. I wonder what the trade in deal on an original 360 will be, and also whether I can transfer the warranty from my Old 360 to a new one.

If they do lower the premium, I suppose I'll be cashing in on my replacement plan. Although, I would need some way to keep my game saves.

[quote name='kell']I have been delaying a 360 purchase until a price drop and/or a redesign. I now have accumulated a few cheap 360 games and am getting anxious to play them, but $480 for HDMI and 100GB... :roll: I think it is dangerous for MS to increase the price closer to the PS3.

Is there talk about the 360 being able to record TV programs like TIVO? Then I would embrace the large HD.[/quote]

With their IPTV service they are scheduled to roll-out at the end of the year, the 360 would act like as a DVR/Cable box. So, the 120 GB HDD would come in handy.

I might bite on this and give my current 360 to a friend. I'd like a quieter drive and I definitely want to check out IPTV if it comes to Chicago, so the large HDD would be nice.

[quote name='asianxcore']the only reason why I'm mad is because I don't have $479 to pull outta my ass.

oh well[/QUOTE]
LOL! You and me both!!!

[quote name='Walt Jay']With their IPTV service they are scheduled to roll-out at the end of the year, the 360 would act like as a DVR/Cable box. So, the 120 GB HDD would come in handy.

I might bite on this and give my current 360 to a friend. I'd like a quieter drive and I definitely want to check out IPTV if it comes to Chicago, so the large HDD would be nice.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll have to look into IPTV. I think I would jump on it then. Plus it would help justify the purchase to the wife since she is the one always taping her stupid TV shows. :)

[quote name='botticus']One would think if the $230 is a price drop for either core or premium, they would be able to tell that pretty quick, since the SKU is already in the system. But I don't see them dropping the premium to $230, and eliminating the premium completely (or replacing it with the $480 model, I suppose) is going to eliminate some of their price competitiveness. Regardless of the difference in specs between the $480 model and the $600 PS3, there's only a perceived $100 difference, instead of the $200 prior.[/quote]

Oh, but that $100 (actually $120) does indeed matter, especially these days where money (or debt/credit) isn't as freeflowing for most people as in past years. It is under $500, while the PS3 isn't perceived to be since all anyone talks about or sees at stores are the $600 versions.

And not only that, they threw out a $230 model (probably a "core" or basic version of the newer black system without any Hard drive or HDMI cable) in order to compete with the Wii. MS is brilliant in their marketing strategy - they are attacking both fronts.

Now they can say they have a much more powerful system for less money than the Nintendo Wii, with many more games, in order to get the casual gamers/clueless families/moms with young kids; as well as continue to offer a significant alternative to the PS3.

If I have a 2 year replacement plan at Best Buy, would I be able to bring my current 360 in and only have to pay $80 for the black one? My 360's drive has been a little screwy and I've been holding off on replacing it until there was confirmation of a redesign.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']If I have a 2 year replacement plan at Best Buy, would I be able to bring my current 360 in and only have to pay $80 for the black one? My 360's drive has been a little screwy and I've been holding off on replacing it until there was confirmation of a redesign.[/quote]

Yes, at least that is what the typical BB employee is taught to parrot to anyone who buys a PRP from them. You should be able to "upgrade" to the new version after paying the difference. If they give you a hard time, tell them that it is broken and doesn't always read discs or whatever, and you want to replace it (make sure the store only has the new $480 version in stock, and not the old one).

[quote name='mykevermin']$480? Shit, that makes the PS3 look like a fuckin' steal at that price.

Where's propellor-head to tell me that I was right and he was wrong?[/QUOTE]

You NAILED my thoughts on it if that's the only model with HDMI. They're basically encouraging HD people to buy a PS3. I REALLY hope that $230 one includes HDMI. If so I'll just buy that and tack on my HDD.

When the day comes, I will upgrade my hard drive*, or, if it becomes necessary, replace my 360 altogether. As a Launch Day owner of a 360, this doesn't really bother me at all. I'm currently not about using my console as a movie/TV program download service and unless download speeds radically improve and the movie selection expands exponentially (and they become available for purchase), I won't be.

Also, I'm one of the thousands upon thousands still sitting the HD 'Format War' out, although I'm pretty sure HD-DVD ain't gonna be the winner. So the lack of its inclusion doesn't bother me here. I'm just wondering if Sony will allow Microsoft at some point to release a Blu-Ray-ready 360 at some point (it would help Sony more than hurt them, I think, and they'll have to allow for B-R drives on PCs, right?), or if they'll try to use this 'deficiency' to crush the 360 in the second half of this generation.

*--I don't see this happening before the end of the year. Hell, I may not even download The Shivering Isles before then.

[quote name='karkyco']Oh, but that $100 (actually $120) does indeed matter, especially these days where money (or debt/credit) isn't as freeflowing for most people as in past years. It is under $500, while the PS3 isn't perceived to be since all anyone talks about or sees at stores are the $600 versions. [/quote]This is true, but it used to be $400, when the PS3 was $600. Now it's $500 (and $480 = $500 to anyone casually looking at it) while the PS3 is still $600. So yes, they still have the marketing speak to say they it's cheaper than the PS3, but it's a much smaller differential at that point. And if people actually look at the specs (which they won't), they'll see a bigger hard drive on one, and an Blu-Ray drive in the other, both of which are likely unnecessary to most.

In general, they'd be much better suited dropping the core completely, or at least price dropping both of them so there is a solid alternative under $400. All told, both are goofy price-points. Should have just made them $200 or $250 and $450 or $500. People love round numbers, and if they aren't rounded, they'll do it themselves.

Wow, congrats to Microsoft for giving me incentive to do something Sony couldn't do - consider purchasing a PS3. If they don't drop the price of the premium to 300 bucks (no, not "$360," that's not a price drop) with this news, they are nuts.

Way to move sideways instead of forward, XBox team!

bread's done
Back