CONFIRMED:HDMI-enabled black Xbox 360 out on April 29!

Yeah, the only thing that bothers me about this is the $480 price. I was planning on getting the revised 360 whenever it came out, but if it really does come out at $480, I might as well look into the 20GB PS3...still, I guess I'm still a little skeptical about this.

I hope like everyone else, the rumor about the new processor and quieter drive is true as well.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Wow, congrats to Microsoft for giving me incentive to do something Sony couldn't do - consider purchasing a PS3. If they don't drop the price of the premium to 300 bucks (no, not "$360," that's not a price drop) with this news, they are nuts.

Way to move sideways instead of forward, XBox team![/QUOTE]

This is why I'm hoping the $230 model includes HDMI otherwise MS is all but telling people buy a PS3 instead for HD multimedia.

This is exactly when Sony should be pushing the 20 gig version of the PS3 (instead of phasing it out as they appear to be doing). A blu-ray player for $20 more than a 360 is pretty compelling (and the hard drive differential is pretty easy to get past, as the PS3 allows for external drives).

I was waiting for a revision before I purchased a 360, and I was absolutely planning on going that direction this generation. This announcement is instead making me actually reconsider the direction I will be heading. Pretty annoying actually.

Well I am definitely not putting down another $500 for this upgrade, unless there's a trade in. I was already planning on buying a PS3 this year, and I just see better value for money there.

I don't quite understand how this is telling people to go get a PS3? We don't even know if the price is legit and whether or not they'll be dropping the premium price.

I have all 3 systems and I play the PS3 the least (Resistance was pretty good though, but they really need to bundle mics). I'd be pissed if I hadn't gotten my PS3 at a 25% discount because all the multi platform games are just better on the 360.

After the recent DMC4 announcement, the only game I'm looking forward to this year on the PS3 is MGS4....

I like the redesign, but the price point is certainly not competitive. Can't we get an HDMI cable for cheap (~$10?) at online suppliers?
IF the 20 gig PS3 has HDMI, why would I buy another 360 for that price? Personally, wireless ain't that big a deal, I want as little lag as possible so I'll always use wired. If there is only a 20 dollar difference, and both have HDMI, I'll just get a ps3 so I can play the few exclusive games it may have. Could someone clarify the price drop on the core/older sku's? I'm hearing 230. I'll just go buy that one for an extra console at that price.

The new chipset and better quality control/soldering or slowdown in production being included in the redesign is crucial to success. All MS needs to have happen is to have a tag put on their new console that it is more buggy than the last hardware and you got a whole lotta stock sitting on shelves.

now what would be "nice" of microsoft id to do a trade in offer.... trade in the old working system and cash for a new one...

as for the best buy warranty...i just purchased that yesterday...told me the same spiel with "upgrades" ....talked to manager and he confirmed 100%.....does help that i recorded with my phone;)

Everyday it seems like their is a rumor about an HDMI enabled 360. When we gonna see it!

To bad my TV only has one HDMI port... and I like the white color...

Cause I still have the warranty and I can always tranfer it in for a new version. :bouncy: I dont think its gonna be this one though.

Even with this new SKU, I can't see them killing off the Core now, or maybe ever. Month after month, the PS2 is the top selling console. This tells MS that there is a viable segment of the market that a) doesn't care about a console with a HDD and b) doesn't care about online, because the PS2 doesn't do either very well. But, it is relatively cheap, and has a truckload of good games.

With the Core system, they will eventually be able to drop the price low enough to convince the "PS2 gamer" to upgrade to a 360, or at least that is their hope.

A $199.99 (or less) Core system price tag with the 360's ever-growing library would be a very attractive purchase for the mass market gamer. Personally, I think we'll see some price cuts this holiday, at least to the $250/$350/$450 Core/Premium/Black level, if not less.

I can't believe people thought it would have HD-DVD built in. Moore is on record stating that it won't happen unless something unforseen happens (like maybe PS3 price drop to ~$450).

Personally, I don't really care. I'm at least two years away from having anything other than my 19" monitor be HDMI compatible. The black, meh. I could take it or leave it. The bigger HDD is nice, but I don't really have a use for it as I already have a DVR. Now if mine craps out within my replacement period, sure, I'd spend a Franklin to exchange it out. But it's not like I'm itching to do it or anything.

I agree that this makes the PS3 look more attractive. Not much more so, but a little. Don't be surprised to see a Sony price drop to around $530 for the 60GB model later this year. And it would be a brilliant move on their part if they did. Blu-Ray, HDMI, (hopefully) good games for less than a comparable 360 model.

But...we're not talking about Sony right here. Good move on Microsoft's part, and I actually can't argue with the price point. 100GB more space is worth $80 by itself...if you actually need it.

Hopefully, the price wars begun it has.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Wow, congrats to Microsoft for giving me incentive to do something Sony couldn't do - consider purchasing a PS3. If they don't drop the price of the premium to 300 bucks (no, not "$360," that's not a price drop) with this news, they are nuts.

Way to move sideways instead of forward, XBox team![/quote]
How's that? Just because MS is "allegedly" announcing a new model? So what if they do?

Is releasing an additional model option going to make the PS3 games better or the unit more appealing? Hell no! atleast not yet. The X360 has a robust library of quality games compared to the PS3 and the PS3 keeps dropping exclusive titles left and right. MS knows that in order to be on top, they need to stay up with technology. Game Console's now a day's are pretty much powerful gaming computers, the olden days of one console version per generation are done. This is simply an option for anyone that feels like they need to have the best technology out there. If you don't like the announcement, and you've loved playing your X360 in the past, thats GREAT, keep at it, nothing's going to change that. Its just more options people, since its fairly a new concept, it seems a little scary but IMO its a great idea.

Damn. I am starting to sound like an MS employee...:lol:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How's that? Just because MS is "allegedly" announcing a new model? So what if they do?

Is releasing an additional model option going to make the PS3 games better or the unit more appealing? Hell no! atleast not yet. The X360 has a robust library of quality games compared to the PS3 and the PS3 keeps dropping exclusive titles left and right. MS knows that in order to be on top, they need to stay up with technology. Game Console's now a day's are pretty much powerful gaming computers, the olden days of one console version per generation are done. This is simply an option for anyone that feels like they need to have the best technology out there. If you don't like the announcement, and you've loved playing your X360 in the past, thats GREAT, keep at it, nothing's going to change that. Its just more options people, since its fairly a new concept, it seems a little scary but IMO its a great idea.

Damn. I am starting to sound like an MS employee...:lol:[/QUOTE]

I really hope this new model ends up $400, premium $350 and core $230. If not this then having the Core at least feature HDMI would be reasonable.

You guys realize that this means you can get an HD Blu-Ray player, that plays the winning HD disk format, for just $20 more than the 360?

The $80 price hike is completely unjustified.

[quote name='PyroGamer']You guys realize that this means you can get an HD Blu-Ray player, that plays the winning HD disk format, for just $20 more than the 360?

The $80 price hike is completely unjustified.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't won yet. I can wait right now on what BR is offering. Besides I don't like the idea of letting Sony taking a giant blue phallus and ramming it where the sun don't shine.
Here's an idea, the new $230 core features HDMI as a semi Trojan horse. Think about it everyone. Then the lowest priced 1080p HD DVD player would be $430, a little more then what the A1 or 2 costs right now.

[size=+1]NAME REVEALED[/size]

Zephyr becomes "XBox 360 Elite."

The Elite will be manufactured in limited quantities, possibly a few hundred thousand.

Everything included with the unit will be black, including the case, controller, and Live headset. The packaging will be new as well.

The Elite will cost $479 and will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.

Eventually, a white version of the Elite will replace Xbox 360 Premium packs.

Presumably, this will happen shortly after the Elite is sold out. Once this happens, Premiums will include the 120 GB HDD and HDMI.

There is no solid date for the Elite-to-Premium transition, though it is estimated to happen late summer or early fall.

The Elite runs cooler than the current Premium, but it is unknown if it takes advantage of 65nm chips.

Prices could remain the same when Premiums convert to 120GB/HDMI, but a price cut may still occur once the 65nm chips are implemented.

The HD-DVD player will definitely not be bundled with the Elite and Microsoft stands by its claim that it has no plans to ever integrate an HD-DVD drive into the Xbox 360.

There are no plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premium packs.

Random stuff:

Blu-Ray hasn't won shit. Neither format is going anywhere anytime soon, and certainly not this year.

How much you want to bet the incentive for the "white Elite" (new premium) will be the 65nm chips that the Elite probably won't have?

[quote name='PyroGamer']You guys realize that this means you can get an HD Blu-Ray player, that plays the winning HD disk format, for just $20 more than the 360?

The $80 price hike is completely unjustified.[/quote]
The HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war is still far from over and you're talking as if people would consider spending $80 to get a Blu-Ray player over a XBOX 360 Gaming console on just the Blu-Ray playability alone. That doesn't make sense.

This is where Sony F'd up. So if this upgrade pans out, people are now thinking, "for $80 more I can get a Blu-Ray player?", It makes it seem that all Sony has to offer is a cheap Blu-Ray player that plays most of your PS2/PS1 games and some PS3 worthwhile exlusives.

Ofcourse you can but if you're looking to buy a gaming console to play games, why would the Blu-Player matter?

Ok NOW the rumored $480 price tag makes a lot more sense. This is a quick cash grab and I think it's smart. That being said I doubt the new Premium will cost $480.
I still wish that $230 core would at least feature HDMI.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How's that? Just because MS is "allegedly" announcing a new model? So what if they do?

Damn. I am starting to sound like an MS employee...:lol:[/QUOTE]

But it isn't a good option for people who want the best technology out there-- where's HD-DVD and wireless? what's up with the "not a proven format" claims about HD-DVD? Like KaneRobot said, it's just an extra 100gb, an HDMI out, and it's black. it does nothing to advance the system or sway opinions (HDMI isn't that well-known yet.

Hate to go here, but for $20 more, if you can find a 20gb PS3 or go the ebay route, you can have all that plus a blu-ray player, PS2, PS1, and eventually, a robust library of PS3 games. add $100 to that and you get wireless, an extra 40gb, and memory card readers (which are great for backing up saves and loading pics and movies, which the 360 also completely lacks. but you could always use a jump drive with the 20gb)

If people think the 60gb ps3 is a rip off, what does that make this? It's a worse value. The choice for people who want the best technology out there is still obvious. They should've waited to do a slim model in a few years with all this extra stuff and HD-DVD instead of splitting their skus so early.

That said, I'll still get this model if it's quieter.

[quote name='suko_32']Wait, so given time, I can get the White "Elite" for Premium's price if I wait?[/quote]If there's only a couple thousand black ones, and they become "Premium" after that, then I would imagine within a year you'll be set.

Based on my previous comment I wonder if Toshiba has thought about my idea in creating a full 1080p HDMI HD DVD player by pairing it up with a core with HDMI and selling them bundled for $430.
Apossum see Kane's post. MS's price on the black 360 then makes sense.

[quote name='botticus']If there's only a couple thousand black ones, and they become "Premium" after that, then I would imagine within a year you'll be set.[/QUOTE]

I see, thanks. Just wanted to see if I was reading that right. I hope the wait will be shorter though :)

[quote name='suko_32']I see, thanks. Just wanted to see if I was reading that right. I hope the wait will be shorter though :)[/quote]Figure both versions of the 360 are currently selling about 200-300k a month combined. I doubt the "Elite" version will sell a large fraction of that number given the higher price. So guess around 100k a month. Emphasis on guess.

[quote name='Apossum']But it isn't a good option for people who want the best technology out there-- where's HD-DVD and wireless? what's up with the "not a proven format" claims about HD-DVD? Like KaneRobot said, it's just an extra 100gb, an HDMI out, and it's black. it does nothing to advance the system or sway opinions (HDMI isn't that well-known yet.

Hate to go here, but for $20 more, if you can find a 20gb PS3 or go the ebay route, you can have all that plus a blu-ray player, PS2, PS1, and eventually, a robust library of PS3 games. add $100 to that and you get wireless, an extra 40gb, and memory card readers (which are great for backing up saves and loading pics and movies, which the 360 also completely lacks. but you could always use a jump drive with the 20gb)

If people think the 60gb ps3 is a rip off, what does that make this? It's a worse value. The choice for people who want the best technology out there is still obvious. They should've waited to do a slim model in a few years with all this extra stuff and HD-DVD instead of splitting their skus so early.

That said, I'll still get this model if it's quieter.[/quote]

You're thinking that as a person who would consider upgrading to the X360 Elite and not as a new user to the X360. MS has said that this generation has been all about choice. Since you own, the X360 already, you have a choice to keep it and not get the newer version. For people that have the money or the need to have the latest gadgets, their won't be any complaints, as for new X360 buyers, they will have more options.

Its a great idea from a company standpoint. I know that if I want to upgrade I will have to sell/trade my X360 unit to cover the price and I know I will lose some of the money spent, but again, if its too much, I have the option to continue with my 20 HDD/Component Cables/White X360 so I'll be ok either way.

[quote name='Sarang01']Ok NOW the rumored $480 price tag makes a lot more sense[/QUOTE]
Yep. I just wonder if it's going to backfire. Somehow "XBox 360 - NOW MORE EXPENSIVE AND ALSO BLACK" doesn't strike me as a great plan.

That being said I doubt the new Premium will cost $480.

Bingo. The white Elites will have the 65nm setup, drop back to $400, and MS once again avoids a price drop while trying to convince us that the 360 is now a "better deal than ever." Halo 3 moves consoles despite the bitching of....everyone, and MS comes out ahead again.

I almost hope Sony does somehow work in a $100 price drop just to see if Microsoft would really stick to its guns.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You're thinking that as a person who would consider upgrading to the X360 Elite and not as a new user to the X360. MS has said that this generation has been all about choice. Since you own, the X360 already, you have a choice to keep it and not get the newer version. For people that have the money or the need to have the latest gadgets, their won't be any complaints, as for new X360 buyers, they will have more options.

Its a great idea from a company standpoint. I know that if I want to upgrade I will have to sell/trade my X360 unit to cover the price and I know I will lose some of the money spent, but again, if its too much, I have the option to continue with my 20 HDD/Component Cables/White X360 so I'll be ok either way.[/QUOTE]

You and I both know most people buying this are either doing it to resell on eBay or to keep and brag they have it since it's an LE.
Kane if Sony does that MS would have to drop the price or include HD DVD in the system.

If you want the best technology, you already have your 360 wireless. So you aren't paying extra for something you already have. I'd argue that the speed difference is negligible between built-in and external on a 360. PC might be different. Built-in wireless would have just made the unit hit $500, so what's the point?

A wireless-B access point only sets you back about $20 these days and works just as well.

Has there been any information on how a person would transfer data from one HDD to the other HDD, other than using a memory card and re-downloading all Marketplace content?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You're thinking that as a person who would consider upgrading to the X360 Elite and not as a new user to the X360. MS has said that this generation has been all about choice. Since you own, the X360 already, you have a choice to keep it and not get the newer version. For people that have the money or the need to have the latest gadgets, there won't be any complaints, as for new X360 buyers, they will have more options. Its a great idea from a company standpoint. I know that if I want to upgrade I will have to sell/trade my X360 unit to cover the price and I know I will lose some of the money spent, but again, if its too much, I have the option to continue with my 20 HDD/Component Cables/White X360 so I'll be ok either way.[/QUOTE]

Especially to a new user who hasn't made up their mind, the Elite will seem pretty anemic compared to what you get for just a few bucks more with the PS3. it's not exactly a top-of-the-line, futureproof model--it's very middle of the road. Add the HD-DVD player and you're looking at over $700 after tax. If you sell your premium for $325-350 and get all that, you're near $800 after tax. Add in the official wireless adapter and...oh dear :lol: but of course, no one in their right mind would pay full price for a wi-fi adapter.

Yes, you can be fine with a premium, and for now it does have more games, but if we're looking at value and features outside of gaming, most people will be able to deduce which one is the better option.

all I'm saying is that it seems like a wasted opportunity to put out a truly appealing model.

[quote name='Apossum']Especially to a new user who hasn't made up their mind, the Elite will seem pretty anemic compared to what you get for just a few bucks more with the PS3. it's not exactly a top-of-the-line, futureproof model--it's very middle of the road. Add the HD-DVD player and you're looking at over $700 after tax. If you sell your premium for $325-350 and get all that, you're near $800 after tax. Add in the official wireless adapter and...oh dear :lol: but of course, no one in their right mind would pay full price for a wi-fi adapter.

Yes, you can be fine with a premium, and for now it does have more games, but if we're looking at value and features outside of gaming, most people will be able to deduce which one is the better option.

all I'm saying is that it seems like a wasted opportunity to put out a truly appealing model.[/QUOTE]

It's an LE, it doesn't operate under your assertions because of that.

[quote name='Sarang01']It's an LE, it doesn't operate under your assertions because of that.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

wow. that's fucked up for a few different reasons. :lol: yeah, I'm done here.

[quote name='Apossum']:whistle2:s

wow. that's fucked up for a few different reasons. :lol: yeah, I'm done here.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying look at the prices of LE's. Just frame it in that context.

I am fully expecting a "bundle deal" or big mail in rebate on buying a 360 with HD DVD add-on right around the time this thing comes out. At least, I hope so.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm saying look at the prices of LE's. Just frame it in that context.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty much LE in name only. It's a release of a new model with upgraded features in limited numbers, but there's no way this will really be limited. that would be just plain wrong. Say 2 years from now HDMI enabled TVs get even cheaper and the Elite is nowhere to be found...that'd be a pretty dumb situation.

There'll be some demand for it, which they'll use to say "oh, there's high demand, no longer limited, yay!" and make it a normal model.

Basically the same pricing doesn't apply Chac. If it's an LE you can gouge people a little. It's a great opportunity of the LE since it's limited edition. You can also say, "Less produced, more cost.".
The color black makes it LE Apossum.

[quote name='Sarang01']Basically the same pricing doesn't apple Chac. If it's an LE you can gouge people a little. It's a great opportunity of the LE since it's limited edition. You can also say, "Less produced, more cost.".
The color black makes it LE Apossum.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I just don't think they should limit the availability and jack up the price of a version of the system that probably has a lower failure rate. This whole fixed 360 model business is kinda a bastard tactic... but what the hell do I know? The 360's like a car... apparently.

if by "replacing the premium" they mean it'll drop back to $400, then that's not so bad. though that's kind of a slight to the 10 million who already bought it.

[quote name='Sarang01']One benefit out of this with the new core price at $230 I hope to see the Wii's price drop to $200.[/QUOTE]

Why? Wii has everything you need right out of the box to start playing, hell it even comes with a game.

The core dosen't, and it dosen't come with everything you need to start playing, mainly the overpriced memory card.

[quote name='Sarang01']One benefit out of this with the new core price at $230 I hope to see the Wii's price drop to $200.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, $230 for that is a legitimately great price. The Wii's got absolutely nothing, so even the 360 has the present advantage there... and when it's cheaper for much, much stronger hardware... it's a viable option.

So if it hits before April 30th then we can get it at Circuit City for $40 off with the coupon right? Or we can order it online at Target with our Xbox gold passport cards and get 10% off too. Don't fret people. We're Cags. We don't pay retail.

that price is nice. makes me consider getting a core + an HD off ebay for about $60 (or less after the new model is out.) I don't think I'll make it in time for the limited black ones...I'm waiting for NG2 :)

bread's done
Back