CAGcast #68: Symphony of the Meat Spin

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD interviews Justin "ViolentLee" Leeper, freelance video game journalist, and Wombat debunks a Lost Planet rumor. We also discuss new releases, the Cheapy Awards and latest console news, answer your questions from the CAGbag, play your 80s Karaoke Contest entries, and much more!

Sponsored by Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories for the PS2.
Click here for details on our 80's Karaoke Contest!

Download - 118 minutes, 54MB

Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast68.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage/Notes
:

Bonus Video!

Trash Talk Video Review

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFuyfTz8FbM[/MEDIA]

Am I the only one having a problem downloading this?

Oh, and the length is fine. Anyone who complains about the length of the show is in the minority.

A two hour show every once in a while is fine with me - but the meat spin title... oh god, what a choice man!

Daphatty - mine didn't download and errored the first try with the iTunes subscription auto download, but then I just hit the 'get' button and it worked.

[quote name='daphatty']Am I the only one having a problem downloading this?

[/QUOTE]

Itunes isn't automatically downloading it for me. Have had it happen a couple times in the past.

[quote name='daphatty']Am I the only one having a problem downloading this?

Oh, and the length is fine. Anyone who complains about the length of the show is in the minority.[/quote]

no, i cant get it either

[quote name='CheapyD']Oh yeah....i think 60-90 minutes is ideal, but sometimes you have to say, "what the fuck".[/QUOTE]

Risky Business .

I have yet to listen...but I have never laughed harder to a title than this one. I *can't wait* to see how many people search this.

[quote name='CheapyD']I warned you all not to click it![/QUOTE]

OK, I'm not going to click on it, so tell me what the fuck it is!! :lol:

[quote name='io']OK, I'm not going to click on it, so tell me what the fuck it is!! :lol:[/quote]

No you don't really want to know.

And Cheapy knows that telling someone not to do something is just an open invitation.

Meatspin... BTW leekspin is a clip from Bleach (an anime). Anyways Wombat, although Simpsons arcade on XBLA would rule, EA owns the Simpsons rights currently. :( Even if all hope came through between Fox, EA and Konami it would end not being $5.00 bucks because EA fucking ass rapes you with downloadble content.

O god Cheapy why the meat spin why!?! dont tell us not to click you know that makes us have to. Its like a hot plate.

[quote name='CheapyD']I warned you all not to click it![/QUOTE]
What inspired mentioning that site, anyway? I recall us talking about it before starting the interview, but I forget the context.

[quote name='AshesofWake']hey cheapy, im pretty sure you mentioned your wife telling you about the sausage restaurant from a previous cagcast

*investigates*[/quote]I think I only mentioned it in the forum thread.

[quote name='ViolentLee']What inspired mentioning that site, anyway? I recall us talking about it before starting the interview, but I forget the context.[/quote]I think we were talking about www.leekspin.com (safe).

While I was taking a shower before today's show, I just came up the idea that it would be funny to subject Wombat to Meat Spin "on the air".

[quote name='CheapyD']I think I only mentioned it in the forum thread.
.[/QUOTE]

ah you are correct, nm. I went back to listen to it, and indeed you did not >_

[quote name='CheapyD']While I was taking a shower before today's show, I just came up the idea that it would be funny to subject Wombat to Meat Spin "on the air".[/QUOTE]

Had it not been for the fact that Thorbahn3 introduced me to meatspin.com 30 minutes prior, I would not have understood the joke. That being said,

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That shit was hys-fucking-sterical!

Awesome show! I think the interview with ViolentLee was the best part. It would be nice to see more interviews in the near future.

And the next "full" Wii game is coming out next month. It goes by the name of Super Paper Mario, check out the videos at Gametrailers.com if you haven't already.

Great show.

I like my CAG Casts long... and meaty.

I havent gone to meat spin... but I think I know what it is. I remeber seeing a disturbing video a while back on YTMND.com... of someone spinning their meat... I can only guess its that but with different music.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Great show.

I like my CAG Casts long... and meaty.

I havent gone to meat spin... but I think I know what it is. I remeber seeing a disturbing video a while back on YTMND.com... of someone spinning their meat... I can only guess its that but with different music.[/QUOTE]

I HAD to look... Oh, the horror, the horror...

DarkNessBear, you are correct, to a point. That is what I assumed it would be. But it isn't JUST that. It is so much more than that... :whistle2:?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Eyes, My Eyes!!!!!!!! Isn't there a titspin.com or something to counteract watching meatspin????

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't see the interview in the show notes? Where does it take place?[/quote]

I'm assuming you mean what point in the show (it was recorded over Skype).
It's cut into two parts, about 15 and 82 minutes in.

I love these Cagcasts but I was scratching my head that one of the biggest games of the year has been out for a week and will probably make many game of the year lists and there is barely a mention of it (in 1.5+ hours).

I guess God of War 2, probably the most impressive achievements on the PS2 isn't as interesting as Cooking Mama?

;)

[quote name='Zimmy']I love these Cagcasts but I was scratching my head that one of the biggest games of the year has been out for a week and will probably make many game of the year lists and there is barely a mention of it (in 1.5+ hours).

I guess God of War 2, probably the most impressive achievements on the PS2 isn't as interesting as Cooking Mama?

;)[/QUOTE]

Well you could hear about GoW2 anywhere and everyone already knows what they are in store for, so I'd rather hear about something that's more obscure.

[quote name='Zimmy']I love these Cagcasts but I was scratching my head that one of the biggest games of the year has been out for a week and will probably make many game of the year lists and there is barely a mention of it (in 1.5+ hours).

;)[/QUOTE]

well that the up and down of being a non-mainstream cast, the big guys get there copy of the game a week prior and have time to play it and discuss it. I work 12 hours a day and spent my entire weekend with family obligations. I hope to pick up a copy maybe tomorrow as I am looking forward to playing it. But what I am curious to know is what do you think we are going to say that wont sound like its regurgitated from every one else out there. Lets face it if a game has a blurb like this at gamerankings "Together their reviews have resulted in an average ratio of 94.3%. That ratio has resulted in this title becoming the 28th best game of all time and the 6th best game on the PlayStation 2. " then you dont need our opinion, thats when we start wasting your time.

Also, not start ranting, but I don't necessarily play a game just because it is new, usually like many of you I wait for it be cheap i.e. COD3 is in my tray now and we got tons of complaints when I didn't talk about it upon release. When I have GOW II we will talk about it, because it is the game we are playing and want to play not because it is new and hot.

Only 1/3 of the way through the show (two hours…a new record!), but good stuff so far.

As a former game journalist, I enjoyed Cheapy’s interview with ViolentLee. It’s interesting to hear how the industry has changed (and how it hasn’t) since I hightailed it back in 2001 (around the time of the .com crash). It’s also interesting (and sad) to note that the going rate for game reviews hasn’t changed much in six years. When you think about the amount of time it takes to actually play through a game and then labor over a 300- to 600-word piece, getting paid, at best, 2 cents per word is ridiculous. :roll:

Like Justin, I’ve gotten PM’s from a couple CAGs asking me how they can break into the industry. I advise them as best I can, but I think it’s important that they understand that it is extremely difficult to make a living as a full-time game journalist (freelance or otherwise). I was only able to do it at the time because (like Justin) I had a second source of income.

Don’t get me wrong. The job had its upsides. The three E3’s I covered (1999-2001) were definitely the highlight. But I’m sorry to say the bad far outweighed the good. To me, the worst part of writing about video games for a living was that it simply sucked all the enjoyment out of playing them. I was forced to grind through many, many lackluster titles in my day, but even playing the good ones seemed like a chore as deadlines loomed and I was just playing as fast as I could just so I could hammer out my piece and get my meager paycheck. And after that, you certainly don’t feel like playing games in your free time.

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the interview and the rest of the show. Will post more thoughts once I make it all the way through.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Well you could hear about GoW2 anywhere and everyone already knows what they are in store for, so I'd rather hear about something that's more obscure.[/QUOTE]

True but if there ever was a topic for the Hype Wagon, this was it.
I also think it is the very rare game that actually lives up to the hype.

Even for cheapskates like me, there are certain games that are day one, price is no object like Metal Gear, Halo, God of War, Madden, Mario, etc.

BTW, another useless comment...

For people with HDMI capable receivers, HDMI is a huge bonus.
To be able to get 1080i/p HiDef video with multi channel lossless audio out of one single cable is a great benefit. Compare that to 4 or 5 6ft+ cables that component/optical audio uses.

Another great Cagcast, I think the interview segments are excellent.

Cheapy D and Wombat,

I've been listening since episode 1, but have not given any feedback until now. I have to tell you both that you're dead wrong on the topic of "Everybody Games".

Cheapy, you have to be kidding about Madden being for everybody. I couldn't have less interest in the game, or in football in general. I don't watch sports, I don't play sports, and I don't have any interest in any sports video games (except Wii Sports, which I might say could be the "Everybody Game").

Wombat, I have to disagree on your choice of GTA being for everybody as well. I played a little bit of Vice City and just gave up because it didn't hold my interest.

Some of us are perfectly content with our RPGs and Nintendo franchises and don't go with the flow of the mainstream. On a side note, I don't think there's such thing as an "Everybody Game".

-Strider

[quote name='neostryder']Cheapy D and Wombat,

I've been listening since episode 1, but have not given any feedback until now. I have to tell you both that you're dead wrong on the topic of "Everybody Games".

Cheapy, you have to be kidding about Madden being for everybody. I couldn't have less interest in the game, or in football in general. I don't watch sports, I don't play sports, and I don't have any interest in any sports video games (except Wii Sports, which I might say could be the "Everybody Game").

Wombat, I have to disagree on your choice of GTA being for everybody as well. I played a little bit of Vice City and just gave up because it didn't hold my interest.

Some of us are perfectly content with our RPGs and Nintendo franchises and don't go with the flow of the mainstream. On a side note, I don't think there's such thing as an "Everybody Game".

-Strider[/QUOTE]

By "Everybody Games" they were talking about games that don't just appeal to diehard gamers, but to the general public as well. It's the collective "everybody", not the literal every human. And both GTA and Madden fit into that, the easiest way to see that is to look at the sales numbers. Anything that sits atop the top selling games for a console is basically a "Everybody Game" because more than just the serious gamers are buying it.

It was kind of confusing wording and I don't think Wombat quite understood what Cheapy was getting at either.

The only thing worse than meatspin is listening to these guys say Merry-O over and over again, and claiming it's the right pronunciation because that's how you say Merry-O Andretti. ;)

Enjoying the show otherwise...

[quote name='Tybee']Like Justin, I’ve gotten PM’s from a couple CAGs asking me how they can break into the industry. I advise them as best I can, but I think it’s important that they understand that it is extremely difficult to make a living as a full-time game journalist (freelance or otherwise). I was only able to do it at the time because (like Justin) I had a second source of income.[/quote]
Yeah, hearing Justin say an online review would get you $150 was sort of depressing. Hooray--you only need to do about 10 reviews a week to make an ok living. :roll:

Glad you're going back to Resistance, Cheapy. Great game.

[quote name='ma']The only thing worse than meatspin is listening to these guys say Merry-O over and over again, and claiming it's the right pronunciation because that's how you say Merry-O Andretti. ;)

Enjoying the show otherwise...[/QUOTE]

In New York, they (wrongly) say Mary-O. The rest of the world, including the places where people are named 'Mario', pronounce it correctly. Though incorrect, I'm an permissivist linguist, and I say that if the people around you understand what you're saying; then no harm, no foul.

bread's done
Back