"In before the Lock" posts

CaseyRyback

Staff member
Feedback
131 (100%)
these style of posts are really annoying. Can we as a community stop making these type of posts in threads that we all know mention something that is aganist the rules of the site? Only one person needs to address the topic and tell them that it is not allowed here.

Instead of spending all that time typing "in before the lock!!!!!" posts, you could shoot a mod or cheapy a PM and have them lock the thread. That way it is no longer on the front page, and people who want to use that certain part of the board do not have to look at a topic that has no place on this site.

and so all you guys know, I do not like to lock threads with "in before the lock" posts because all it does is promote idiotic behavior. If you really want to up your post count so much there are plenty of threads in the off topic section where you are allowed to do so

I completely agree. These are just one more example of rampart internet stupidity. I cannot remember who said it, but it was compared to messing with a crime scene before the police can clean it up.

Casey's completely right on this one. The posts don't add anything to the site, and we should stop making them. With that said...

In before the l...

*gets shot*

I dunno, while I agree that "in before lock" posts are both stupid and space-wasting, how is that different from half of the threads in the off-topic forum? It kind of seems like a double standard to me.

Could the same be said for posts saying "ALREADY POSTED" or "WRONG FORUM"?

casey, are you just sayin that so that ppl wont post in those threads, limiting their post count? you dont want to be dethroned of the CAG w/ most posts? ;)

j/k haha, yea, those posts do get annoying...

btw... post +1, im catchin up w/ ye casey...not really...

The 'already posted' and 'wrong forum' posts at least serve a purpose. No slight on the mods, but it seems a lot of repeat topics and topics in wrong forums don't get corrected. If someone calls a poster on that, it usually kills the thread and a mod doesn't have to intervene.

Of course, I've done a number of 'already posted' and especially 'wrong forum' posts, so I might be biased.

[quote name='jmcc']First post![/quote]

That was fucking funny.

If someone really wants to bump up the post count, there's a million ways to do it if they are so determined. Like people that post how the deal in the forum is so great and they got in even though there's no way they could afford to get in on all of them. If the post is really gonna get locked anyways, it's harmless fun. But yeah, before/after they post that they should shut a PM to a mod to lock the topic - at least be useufl.

Dave Olson

i've done it once or twice, but put a something in right after it, like a really bad joke i made up in a second. i've really stopped even thinking about post counts. but for some people that's what they use it for.

Personally, it doesnt bother me when people post "In before LOCK'd"

It just points out that the OP did something stupid especially when everyone else can see that the thread is inappropriate.

Thats just one guy's opinion. In any case, I wont post that though out of respect for CaseyR - Since he feels strongly against it.

Is this topic for real? Cause 90% of all the posts on this site are virtually useless. Why don't we just eliminate the politcal forums if you need to save bandwidth or storage. Or better yet, get rid of the bragging forum cause THAT one is pretty pointless too. Come to think of it, videogames are pretty pointless in general, save the few surgeons who actually perform better from regular videogame playing.

In before the lock posts do more than just point out an OP's stupidity. they can keep a taboo topic bumped so that moderators can see it and so it can be killed quickly. Would you rather face an onslaught of PM's about suspect topics ? I'll bet you and Cheapy have much better things to do than sort out PM's every 5 minutes from the resident tattle-tales. Besides, nobody WANTS to be a snitch, it's much better to berate someone publicly so they learn NOT to post the same kind of thing again.

[quote name='bmulligan']Is this topic for real? Cause 90% of all the posts on this site are virtually useless. Why don't we just eliminate the politcal forums if you need to save bandwidth or storage. Or better yet, get rid of the bragging forum cause THAT one is pretty pointless too. Come to think of it, videogames are pretty pointless in general, save the few surgeons who actually perform better from regular videogame playing.

In before the lock posts do more than just point out an OP's stupidity. they can keep a taboo topic bumped so that moderators can see it and so it can be killed quickly. Would you rather face an onslaught of PM's about suspect topics ? I'll bet you and Cheapy have much better things to do than sort out PM's every 5 minutes from the resident tattle-tales. Besides, nobody WANTS to be a snitch, it's much better to berate someone publicly so they learn NOT to post the same kind of thing again.[/quote]

Bingo. Thank you for articulating what I was thinking.

Another thing, where are the rest of the mods? We've got like a dozen of them, and it seems like the bulk of the moderation work is Casey, Daphatty, and CheapyD himself. If half of the rest showed up on a regular basis and even just did a "View posts since last visit" and cleared out some of the dregs, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. But I digress...I've ranted on this topic before to no avail.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Another thing, where are the rest of the mods? We've got like a dozen of them, and it seems like the bulk of the moderation work is Casey, Daphatty, and CheapyD himself. If half of the rest showed up on a regular basis and even just did a "View posts since last visit" and cleared out some of the dregs, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. But I digress...I've ranted on this topic before to no avail.[/quote]

True. Perhaps Cheapy should assign some of the regulars as mods. People who are at least here once a day.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Another thing, where are the rest of the mods? We've got like a dozen of them, and it seems like the bulk of the moderation work is Casey, Daphatty, and CheapyD himself. If half of the rest showed up on a regular basis and even just did a "View posts since last visit" and cleared out some of the dregs, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. But I digress...I've ranted on this topic before to no avail.[/quote]

True. Perhaps Cheapy should assign some of the regulars as mods. People who are at least here once a day.[/quote]

wait....there are other mods? :shock:

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Another thing, where are the rest of the mods? We've got like a dozen of them, and it seems like the bulk of the moderation work is Casey, Daphatty, and CheapyD himself. If half of the rest showed up on a regular basis and even just did a "View posts since last visit" and cleared out some of the dregs, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. But I digress...I've ranted on this topic before to no avail.[/quote]

True. Perhaps Cheapy should assign some of the regulars as mods. People who are at least here once a day.[/quote]

wait....there are other mods? :shock:[/quote]

Uh, yeah. Haven't you ever seen Quadrophenia?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='punqsux']wait....there are other mods? :shock:[/quote]

Uh, yeah. Haven't you ever seen Quadrophenia?[/quote]

Heh, Bellboy. :lol:

nintendofangir is a mod but i barely see her around. i agree that the mods are doing alot of work and cheapy should assign some more people who are here alot mod jobs

[quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf']nintendofangir is a mod but i barely see her around. i agree that the mods are doing alot of work and cheapy should assign some more people who are here alot mod jobs[/quote]

I've seen NFG here alot lately. She was posting a ton of deals a couple of days ago.

[quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf']nintendofangir is a mod but i barely see her around. i agree that the mods are doing alot of work and cheapy should assign some more people who are here alot mod jobs[/quote]

nfg is awesome at posting the nintendo deals, but i havent seen her mod anything...maybe she just dosent post when she locks a topic, but i dunno she just dosent seem too mod-ish

Well, no mods are on right now. Only Cheapy. So, what should we do right now? Burn down the homes of innocent people? I'll go with that.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf']nintendofangir is a mod but i barely see her around. i agree that the mods are doing alot of work and cheapy should assign some more people who are here alot mod jobs[/quote]

nfg is awesome at posting the nintendo deals, but i havent seen her mod anything...maybe she just dosent post when she locks a topic, but i dunno she just dosent seem too mod-ish[/quote]

She'll mod you alright, if it's one of her threads and she doesn't like what you posted...

How many Mods are there? And you are right, CaseyR seems to be the only one locking stuff. No one else seems to be around.

[quote name='Xevious']How many Mods are there? And you are right, CaseyR seems to be the only one locking stuff. No one else seems to be around.[/quote]

Here is the list of all the site's mods.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf']nintendofangir is a mod but i barely see her around. i agree that the mods are doing alot of work and cheapy should assign some more people who are here alot mod jobs[/quote]

nfg is awesome at posting the nintendo deals, but i havent seen her mod anything...maybe she just dosent post when she locks a topic, but i dunno she just dosent seem too mod-ish[/quote]

She'll mod you alright, if it's one of her threads and she doesn't like what you posted...[/quote]

:rofl:
while it was wrong, that was funny.

there are 10 mods.
2 are active (casey and daphatty)
3 are here but i havent noticed them doing anything (bigdirty, nfg, and brolly, well ive seen brolly on the trade board)
the other 5 are mia.

It seems, in my opinion the 2 active mods (and cheapy) are doing just fine, I don't see the need to move mis labeled threads (as most end up being ones that should have been posted in off-topic but are OP somewhere else). They are quick to act when there is a terribly offensive thread started, and for the most part take a very Laissez-fair attitude which I think works. I don't think people should freak out because there in a duplicate thread, (I've only been here a few months and nearly EVERYTHING, seems to be a rehash of topics)and call for the topic to be locked or moved.. it will take care of itself. Further, I don't really think that we need to call the mods anytime one thinks a topic is simply stupid.

But back on the main topic of 'in before lock posts' they are slightly annoying to me, but they don't really do any harm aside from wasting .004 seconds of life reading them.

my 2 cents.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='bmulligan']Is this topic for real? Cause 90% of all the posts on this site are virtually useless. Why don't we just eliminate the politcal forums if you need to save bandwidth or storage. Or better yet, get rid of the bragging forum cause THAT one is pretty pointless too. Come to think of it, videogames are pretty pointless in general, save the few surgeons who actually perform better from regular videogame playing.

In before the lock posts do more than just point out an OP's stupidity. they can keep a taboo topic bumped so that moderators can see it and so it can be killed quickly. Would you rather face an onslaught of PM's about suspect topics ? I'll bet you and Cheapy have much better things to do than sort out PM's every 5 minutes from the resident tattle-tales. Besides, nobody WANTS to be a snitch, it's much better to berate someone publicly so they learn NOT to post the same kind of thing again.[/quote]

Bingo. Thank you for articulating what I was thinking.

Another thing, where are the rest of the mods? We've got like a dozen of them, and it seems like the bulk of the moderation work is Casey, Daphatty, and CheapyD himself. If half of the rest showed up on a regular basis and even just did a "View posts since last visit" and cleared out some of the dregs, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. But I digress...I've ranted on this topic before to no avail.[/quote]

My only real problem with "In Before the Lock" posts is that once one person does it everyone feels they have to do it. If there is a thread asking to be locked, why bump it to the front page when you know that the person wanted the thread locked? If it was illegal, why do 15 people feel they have to tell the OP the same thing, only to move it to the top of the board?

I got no problem locking topics, but it is a consideration I think that you guys should take into account for your fellow CAG's.

There is always the ability to delete the thread or the posts, but the second someone saw me deleting their posts they would go nuts and nasty PMs would fill my inbox.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']You need the "In Before Lock" wall of shame.[/quote]

that list would be too long.

I would also have to include a seperate list for people who bump old deals for no reason if this list were to come about.

I think the solution to this problem is to make some of the regular posters mods. I think that "in before lock" posts are indeed good, because they keep the topic at the top long enough for a mod to notice it. Why let an offensive thread "die" and leave it unlocked? IMO, this makes it very easy for the mod, because if they see post after post saying "in before lock", they'll know to LOCK IT UP. This takes all of the guess work out of modding, what's the problem with that? The sarcasm? As i said, if there were more mods and they actually did their jobs (casey you do fine), this would be a non-issue.

GET MORE MODS.

In defense of the other mods, I see Brolly on the trade forums, that is helpful. And dephatty and NFG are on as well. Maybe they don't lock as many (if any) forums than some others, but that doesn't mean they don't help out. Both have brought up some pretty good deals. And I bet if you PMed them, they could use their Moderator status to help you out.

[quote name='evilmax17']I think the solution to this problem is to make some of the regular posters mods. I think that "in before lock" posts are indeed good, because they keep the topic at the top long enough for a mod to notice it. Why let an offensive thread "die" and leave it unlocked? IMO, this makes it very easy for the mod, because if they see post after post saying "in before lock", they'll know to LOCK IT UP. This takes all of the guess work out of modding, what's the problem with that? The sarcasm? As i said, if there were more mods and they actually did their jobs (casey you do fine), this would be a non-issue.

GET MORE MODS.[/quote]

but locking it, is the reason that the thread dies. Essentially it would suffer the same fate if no one posted in it anymore.

A PM would be a much better way to spend that energy, if people want a paricular topic locked quicker.

Smalien1 is a good example of someone who gets his posts locked quick, because he has mastered the ability to send me a PM and ask me to lock a topic.

Adding more mods is not the solution. You don't need to be a mod to report "questionable" posts. We are here to facilitate the needs of the community but it's the community's responsibility to speak up. If you see something that doesn't belong then say so. Mod's can't see EVERYTHING nor can they be online ALL THE TIME.

but locking it, is the reason that the thread dies. Essentially it would suffer the same fate if no one posted in it anymore.

But locked topics can never be bumped again. Old topics can always be found and brought back from the dead.

And it's really not up to we regular users whether or not a topic is lockworthy, it's yours. The IBTL(In Before The Lock) posts are kinda like a public spontaneous vote.

And in addition to what I said before, It's one thing to have your topic locked and feel a little angry at the moderator who locked it, it's another thing to have 10 other regulars nudge you into realizing you did something wrong and it won't be tolerated by the community as a whole.

It's just fun to be a smartass. Don't take away the fun, Casey!

bread's done
Back