- - - - -

Etrian Odyssey Support Group

#31 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

You can create a party modeled after your friends, your favorite characters from other RPGs...hell, you can even name your characters after their salient abilities (but hey, who'd do something like that?)

Heh, a not-so-subtle jab at Game Informer's review.

Since I have somewhat of a DS backlog, I'll wait for the inevitable price drop. The cartography aspect sounds like an interesting concept, and it seems to be a solid RPG. However, in terms of price drops, I'm seeing more of a Deep Labyrinth situation than a Phoenix Wright surprise.

#32 Dr Mario Kart   SD/2D Defense Force CAGiversary!   10953 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Dr Mario Kart

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Everyone from other forums, like Penny Arcade, mention dying on the first floor, almost immediately upon setting foot inside. Every battle has to be played very smart. I'm not sure I've heard of this level of brutality.

#33 BusterSlash   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

BusterSlash

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

well, if the person dies on the first battle, s/he probably either didnt pick a good party, or maybe forgot to use skills

#34 ArthurDigbySellers   Not exactly a lightweight CAGiversary!   3418 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

ArthurDigbySellers

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

Everyone from other forums, like Penny Arcade, mention dying on the first floor, almost immediately upon setting foot inside. Every battle has to be played very smart. I'm not sure I've heard of this level of brutality.

From reading the developer diary, it seems that really difficult monsters can appear at any time. They don't save the "boss" battles for end of a level or anything like that.

Currently Drinking:
Homebrew

#35 mforge   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

I know "just picked this up" posts are annoying, but.. too bad! Just picked this up. Last one at GS. Impressions a-coming tonight.

And yes, apparently boss-like "F.O.E.s" stalk every level and you have to avoid them until you're strong enough to beat them.

#36 Supercake   Mighty Pirate CAGiversary!   692 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Anyone play Maze of Fate and give me a comparison?

Just from what I've read about it, it's real time, enemies do not respawn, and has no random dungeons.

It has the "feel" of a old PC RPG, but not quite the same system. I'll be getting it soon, possibly tomorrow I hope.
Posted Image

#37 brandonabley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   102 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

brandonabley

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

Okay, so I guess I'm the only person here who has actually *played* this game. Here is my novella:

First off: Etrian Odyssy is not nearly as HARDCORE as a lot of the hypefans have made it out to be -- in fact, compared to old-school dungeon crawlers, it's incredibly forgiving. You start out with a ton of money, which allows you buy all of the introductory gear you need. There are clear descriptions for all sorts of things, and the overall mechanics of the game make it much easier to bend battles and exploration in your favor. Physically weak classes can actually take a hit or two, so unlike other classic D&D dungeon hacks, you won't have to worry about an enemy accidentally breathing on your mage and sending you packing back to town (although enemies will hit you with devastating critical hits which will kill your guys instantly if you don't keep your HP up). The game also features warp points and revive items -- although they are rare -- and the item shop sells a pretty cheap tool for exiting the dungeon in a jam. I think it's important to realize that this is a decidedly new-school dungeon hack, heavily influenced by the current design philosophy of "always give the player rewards for making good decisions" rather than "always punish the player for making mistakes."

Visually, the game looks pretty good. Interfaces are snappy and the forest is lush and colorful. You can definitely tell that it would look like total ass on a big screen, but on the tiny DS display it fills out nicely. Battles play out like an older Dragon Quest game, so you know what to expect there. Spell effects are pretty flashy though.

The class system is a real treat. In classic fashion, you choose a group of five characters from a variety of classes (this is confusing at first, because you have six available slots in your party formation). Classes are pretty typical: Offensive warrior, defensive Warrior, balanced warrior, spellcaster, healer, support class, rogue. Each character has a stat-learning system similar to Diablo 2, where you get a skill point each level and spend it. Every class has a few different categories of skills: for warriors, you can specialize in a weapon type, boost your HP, or specialize in unique skills; for wizards you can specialize in different elements, or in having high MP, or in casting the ultimate fireball; etc. I think each class has about 15-20 different areas to spend points on. Every class is useful and unique, and each class has at least 4 different ideal configurations. It will really hurt to only be able to focus on five party members each with one specialty when there are so many legitimate possibilities. At higher levels, you *can* respec, which is an absolute blessing.

My favorite class is the roguish class, Survivalist, because they learn a variety of abilities to decrease encounter rate, get an extra turn in battles, and are pretty solid warriors otherwise. I also like the female Dark Hunter because I am a pervert.

The game is a little punishing, but it's not exactly masochistic. You might need to gain a few levels when entering a new area, but a well-designed party should run into few hitches. Boss battles are brutal, but almost all are optional. The experience curve is a lot like Dragon Quest, where you will level up rapidly whenever you get to a new area, and then will level very slowly. This keeps your level right around where the designers want it. Money is very very scarce, and it will be shockingly expensive to revive your entire party. There might be times when you have only one party member left and he is killing moths and rats in order to get enough money to revive everyone else. I really do not like this, and I have never liked that dungeon crawlers tend to make it so hard to revive a fallen character when a boss can kill someone so easily. The Medic can learn a revive skill somewhere before the middle point of the game (judging by the skill points required to earn it), so I guess that will make things much easier. As it stands, the extortionate fees for revival and recovery are my least favorite thing about the game.

Map-making is a snap, and, surprisingly, really fun. The game automaps each tile you step on, so you don't actually need to draw on the map if you don't want to. You can add little text memos and stuff to your liking. One thing is that the automapping function does not draw walls, and only draws floors. It's a little tough to explain, but you'll have a hard time knowing that you have the entire floor charted out for sure unless you draw the walls in yourself. I really like being able to put an icon wherever I want, and typing in "locked door with crystal on it", rather than the game putting a "locked door" tile on the map and leaving me wondering which key goes into it. Seriously, it's hard to convince you, but drawing maps really is a blast in this game. You can also draw maps while battles and such are loading or even during the animation segment in the combat round, if you aren't interested in watching.

The overall pace of the game interface is pretty fast. This isn't like Pokemon or anything -- if you hold down the "a" button, battle animations will whiz by and all of your characters will be assigned "attack" in a split second. You walk pretty quickly through the dungeons, which is probably mandatory in keeping this game from sucking. You can set text boxes to "instant display", rather than the default "crawly text" mode that most RPGs use, which is a boon to those of us above a fifth grade reading level. I don't know how important the brevity of a game interface is to most people, but for me it's the difference that makes Pokemon no fun and Xenosaga 3 a whole lot of fun.

As a side note, I am playing this game concurrently with Disgaea 2, which has a typical button setup for Playstation RPGs. Etrian Odyssey's button configuration is exactly the inverse of Playstation RPG configurations, so expect to make millions of mistakes early on. The biggest issue is that the top button opens the map, not the character menu -- which is assigned to the left button. After hours of playing, I still can't get to the two straight.

SO IN SUMMARY

This is a solid, well-designed re-envisioning of the dungeon crawler. It's substantially more forgiving while still maintaining the high standard of difficulty and scarcity of resources. Reviving and healing is the worst part of the game, as it often is in this genre, but you can build your characters around it. The class sytem is very malleable and very cool -- almost identical to Diablo 2, except you get to customize five heroes instea of one. The pace of interaction with the game is very fast, which keeps it from crawling and is important in such a slow-paced game as this one. I give Etrian Odyssey my recommendation.

#38 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

Thank you Brandonabley!

Anyone interested can get it for $18.99 after GCO, shipping included, so I bit.

Link to thread:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=138268

#39 mforge   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:46 AM

Real early impressions--cartography is unquestionably addictive, and I am terrible at this game. That's two ass-handings already on the first floor alone.

In the immortal words of Strong Bad, my hit points in this dungeon are embarrassing.

#40 Lan_Zer0   Heaven or Hell CAGiversary!   1103 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:50 AM

I like this game. My only complaint so far is that the enemies don't look too hot. The character portraits have plenty of flair, but the enemies...meh. I would dump much more time into this game if I wasn't knee deep into pokemon.
Let me show you them.

#41 hipsterplease   The Old Nerdy Bastard CAGiversary!   998 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

hipsterplease

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

Very well put, brandonabley!

For me, this game is less punishing because of its “old school” learning curve than by the scarcity of money. Sure you get big chunks here and there, but I’ve grown far too accustomed to being able to simply kill tons of low-level enemies to generate a little scratch when I'm scrimping for my Sword of Penultimate Whoop-Ass. But that sole eccentricity aside, I’m really enjoying the title and, surprisingly, not getting the shite beat out of me as much as I feared.

#42 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:50 AM

Cool, mine shipped today. Should have it next week!

#43 deathweasel   Sleeps in the woods CAGiversary!   1045 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

deathweasel

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:03 AM

Actually the scores from EGM were...8.0, 6.0, and 4.0. Metacritic gave it an average score of 60 for the game. At least one reviewer liked it!

Well, the average of an 8.0, 6.0, and 4.0 is a 6.0.

Hi.

My Trade List

My GameTZ profile: SmarmySir

#44 T3kN   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   408 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:11 AM

Yeah, I think im gonna have to stick with my addictive Puzzle Quest for the moment. And maybe once im done with that go back to my unfinished FF3.
Dont get me wrong I love Atlus games and can't wait for Odin Sphere, I have Diseage and looking to get the 2nd when I finish this one, but this new one doesn't apeal to me to buy it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Game has a 72 on Metacritics so far, with a few more reviews added now.

http://www.metacriti...s/etrianodyssey

#46 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29323 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

got it today off gamefly.

Few questions

how much detail do you have to do on the maps. Im just starting out where you have to map the forest. Do you have to map every monster hit or just the lines.

one major problem i have with the game is MAGIC does way too much damage.

Hit with knife 5 pts of damage. hit with fire 1 27 pts of damage.

if i could find it DIRT cheap i probally would buy it. Tempted to do Keep it off gamefly for 13.75 *after using 10 bucks credit i got*

after looking more on gamefly i really dont see anything i want to rent till MID june so i probally try to beat it and return it .

love to see this fall to 9.99 *I would grab it in a second*
WOOOO I STINK

#47 Arkay Firestar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1422 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Arkay Firestar

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

love to see this fall to 9.99

You won't - trust me.

#48 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29323 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:48 AM

on the edge of sending this back to gamefly way too much of a time sucker.

i probally played it for 6 hours my people are only level 8

3 warriors 1 medic and a fire user.

cant even beat the FOE on level 2 let alone make it back past level 3.

i heard there are 20 floors in this game and would probally be looking at 100+ hours just to beat it.

dont know to send it back or buy it for 15

probally tomorrow i will end up with

7 wonders for the psp and Cake mania (dont ask me why i picked that lol)

other games in line up

Dinner dash comes tomorrow psp/ds
world champion cards june 1 (BUT might just buy for 15 at best buy since its only 20 new)

then again look at the line for for just DS/PSP games (only reason i use gamefly for)

maybe there is no reason to buy it since there is only what 2 games i even want to rent in june

on the ds side the only games i see i would even be intersted in june
there isnt really many games coming out soon

ds in june

SImcity June 21
fish tour June 28 (expect it to be pushed back)

PSP in june
Brooktown High
Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground june 21
Final Fantasy june 28

July
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Hoshigami Remix: Ruining Blue Earth

PSP
Taito Legends Power-Up
Riviera: The Promised Land
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics expect this to get canned
Final Fantasy II

so with so little i want to rent very good chance i just keep it till im bored with it
WOOOO I STINK

#49 Arkay Firestar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1422 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Arkay Firestar

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

30 levels, actually.

#50 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29323 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

i caved in. got it for 14.56 at gamefly after using my 5% discount + 10 gamefly bucks i had .

hopefully my next game ships out today and i will have dinner dash this weekend (remember no mail monday so if i dont get it by saturday i got to wait till tuesday : (

but im sure

7 wonders and cake mania and hopefully exit (got off goozex) and shinning soul will get here beore saturday
WOOOO I STINK

#51 trq   I *am* the reinforcements CAGiversary!   2365 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Lots of stuff

You, sir, are a saint. That's exactly the kind of review I've been looking for. Thanks.

#52 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29323 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:14 AM

man this game takes forever to get though. I had it what 3 weeks now maybe around 20 hours into it and still havent gotten past the 5th floor out of 25 floors

i got my but kicked by the wolf boss on floor 5 and lost 2 and 1/2 hours of gameplay
WOOOO I STINK

#53 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:26 AM

Yeah, I'm probably 6 or 7 hours in and I'm only level 14 with my group, and trying to get past level 3 of the forest! I'm really liking this game for some mindless dungeon-grinding though, in an odd-OCD kinda way. I find myself picking it up and grinding for a half hour here, and a half hour there in-between other games. Pretty theurapeutic!

#54 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29323 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, I'm probably 6 or 7 hours in and I'm only level 14 with my group, and trying to get past level 3 of the forest! I'm really liking this game for some mindless dungeon-grinding though, in an odd-OCD kinda way. I find myself picking it up and grinding for a half hour here, and a half hour there in-between other games. Pretty theurapeutic!

once you get past the stalkers you can grind without leaving the maze. There is a spot on the 3rd floor the heals all your tp and hp everytime. So you can jump back down to floor 3 when you need to heal and continue.

lost another 2 hours today when i lost to the wolf boss once again.

I doubt i will ever see the end of this game before sept
WOOOO I STINK

#55 swift fix   first person gamer CAGiversary!   1224 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

once you get past the stalkers you can grind without leaving the maze. There is a spot on the 3rd floor the heals all your tp and hp everytime. So you can jump back down to floor 3 when you need to heal and continue.

lost another 2 hours today when i lost to the wolf boss once again.

I doubt i will ever see the end of this game before sept

I can deal with losing a couple minutes in an RPG, but 2 hours... Fuck. What kind of save system does this game use?

I'm hoping I can find it used this Sun. during the EB/GS B2G1.

#56 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

To save you have to exit the maze and go back to the inn in town (just a bunch of menus, there's no literal travelling outside of the forest, once you're out you just see a menu of the different buildings in town).

#57 LancerEvoX   Rawr! CAGiversary!   659 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

LancerEvoX

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

I just started playing this, and its pretty good. After Izuna, I was worried about getting another DS game released by Atlus but thank God I got it anyways.

Wait, lose hours in the game? I thought if you died the map is saved, unless you mean the time getting back to where you died...

:ps3: : --
:pc: : Warframe, Final Fantasy XIV

:ps4: : Battlefield 4, Mortal Kombat X, Senran Kagura Estival Versus
:vita: : Sword Art Online Lost Song
:3ds: : Smash Bro for 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

:wiiu: : Smash Bros for Wii U

#58 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29323 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:24 AM

I just started playing this, and its pretty good. After Izuna, I was worried about getting another DS game released by Atlus but thank God I got it anyways.

Wait, lose hours in the game? I thought if you died the map is saved, unless you mean the time getting back to where you died...

the map is saved but you lose all your items and Exp (i think)

I know you lose your items cause some of the items i found in chest where there again when i went back up (and got killed again)

At least this isnt as bad as FINal fantasy 3. I still think final fantasy 3 is the hardest game out there (where you do nothing but level grind)

i thought Izuna was a pretty nice game *until you got to the final boss where you had to climb up 40 flights of maps without any saves or breaks and a monster can come out of anywhere and kill you with one hit)

even at level 19 i still cant beat the wolf boss on level 5

i wouldnt count on finding it used for a long long time
WOOOO I STINK

#59 q 3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   184 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:14 AM

As long as you're careful and don't charge on ahead into a new area when your party is almost out of TP, you won't be seeing too many game overs. The game warns you whenever there's something super dangerous ahead (usually), and as long as you take those warnings seriously and don't get greedy you should be fine. The item that returns you to town is cheap, so don't be timid about using them to rest up and save.

#60 io   ... Super Moderators   24646 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Damn, I'm going to have to get this game I think...

If only it had actually come out when Fry's advertized it on sale - I could have pricematched at GC and gotten it pretty cheap after credit.

I'll have to look around a bit...