- - - - -

Glasses, Contacts, Surgery, or Perfect Vision

Poll: Which are you?

Which are you?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

Them damn video games! :D

I play more video games than most, stare at a monitor/TV screen for around 12-17 hours a day, and still have better vision than most. Don't ask me how I do it.;)

#32 red flare graf   Metalwrath CAGiversary!   2293 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

red flare graf

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Contacts, I can't see jack shit without them. I'll probably get lasik in a few years.. I want to wait as long as possible, because I've heard bad stories and want them to get as far along with the procedure as they can.

#33 RAMSTORIA   fate is inexorable CAGiversary!   11980 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

glasses also. i never liked contacts, plus the glasses go well with my huge nose. ive had them since 3rd grade so its really hard for me to imagine myself without them, theyve been on me longer than my pubic hair, and im pretty attatched to that too.

Posted Image

#34 hohez   Old Cynical Gamer CAGiversary!   1772 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Glasses. Would like to have lasik, but I am way way too big of a pussy to have surgery done to my eyes for fear of losing them.

Hohez.png

#35 dastly75   Resident Squirrel CAGiversary!   3561 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

glasses for driving only, I might wear them on exam day though

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Halo05   DJ Roomba CAGiversary!   7924 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

Among the wonderful gifts that the Marine Corps gave to me was free PRK surgery back in 2004. I've been close to 20/20 since then. Before that it was glasses.

#37 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21266 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

I used to wear contacts years ago but they gave me headaches so I stopped. Plus, I like the ease of use with glasses.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#38 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

I used to wear contacts years ago but they gave me headaches so I stopped. Plus, I like the ease of use with glasses.

I'm curious as to blurriness can give headaches, because I get headaches all the time and can feel the pain in my eyes (well, stress on my eyes).

#39 levi333   Guns... CAGiversary!   3058 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Contacts, -8.50 in both eyes FTW!

Laser surgery is a dream. Had eyewear since 2nd grade, don't remember what it's like w/o.

#40 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

Contacts, -8.50 in both eyes FTW!

Laser surgery is a dream. Had eyewear since 2nd grade, don't remember what it's like w/o.

That's really bad. Glasses back then must have been really thick. I doubt my vision will ever get that bad, I hope.

Damn, over 75% of CAG Members wear glasses/contacts. I'm curious as to whether these people found out they needed them by a random eye exam, of if they were just having problems seeing (so they went to see a doctor)? I was thinking around 60%, unless the perfect vision people aren't responding to this poll. :P

#41 SteveMcQ   I love Panda! CAGiversary!   7942 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:58 AM

Lasik.

#42 JohnnyDrama   VICTORY!!!! CAGiversary!   2862 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

JohnnyDrama

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

Glasses for me, but I'd like to have Lasik in the future

#43 2Fast   S2000 CAGiversary!   4847 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

Probably a little better than 20/20 vision here (at least in one eye IIRC), I can see really long distances and very fine detail.

Also through women's clothes.

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:27 AM

I'm curious as to blurriness can give headaches, because I get headaches all the time and can feel the pain in my eyes (well, stress on my eyes).

That's called eye strain. You probably get it pretty bad from being in front of a screen for 12-17 hours a day. You'll probably become seriously near sighted in a few years as you get older.

#45 dtcarson   No cute in-joke here. CAGiversary!   3405 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

dtcarson

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:25 AM

Extremely nearsighted, I've had glasses since first grade. I did wear contacts ("Rigid Gas Permeable") for a few years between 10th grade and the year after graduating college. Broke one (had the same pair that entire time) and needed glasses *right then*, so then had glasses again. Tried contacts again a few years later, either they had changed or my eyes had, my eyes were always red and dry, then when my son was born due to the lack of consistent sleep my eyes were always tired so I went back to glasses.
I am tempted by laser eye surgery, everyone I know who's had it in the past couple years loves it, but that's a big step, plus I haven't ever worked on the timing to fund it via my FSA.

Interesting article on sitting close to a screen and causing eye damage:
http://www.straightd...ics/a5_105.html

#46 Calamityuponthee   Voice of Reason CAGiversary!   1504 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Calamityuponthee

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:31 AM

Lasik. Best decision I've made.
Posted Image

#47 Negative   Leave my wallet alone CAGiversary!   1339 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:39 AM

Lasik here too. I'll never regret it. Looking at the sky/stars so clearly for the first time was unbelievable.

#48 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:48 AM

That's called eye strain. You probably get it pretty bad from being in front of a screen for 12-17 hours a day. You'll probably become seriously near sighted in a few years as you get older.

I've done it for 5 years heavily and haven't had a huge problem, but it could be why my left eye isn't as good as it use to be. I just have strain every once in a while (not everyday) thankfully. Right now, it's just really painful.

Extremely nearsighted, I've had glasses since first grade. I did wear contacts ("Rigid Gas Permeable") for a few years between 10th grade and the year after graduating college. Broke one (had the same pair that entire time) and needed glasses *right then*, so then had glasses again. Tried contacts again a few years later, either they had changed or my eyes had, my eyes were always red and dry, then when my son was born due to the lack of consistent sleep my eyes were always tired so I went back to glasses.
I am tempted by laser eye surgery, everyone I know who's had it in the past couple years loves it, but that's a big step, plus I haven't ever worked on the timing to fund it via my FSA.

Interesting article on sitting close to a screen and causing eye damage:
http://www.straightd...ics/a5_105.html

Crap, I sit close to my monitor in the dark all the time. :( I wonder if I'm screwed for life.

#49 beguile   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:22 AM

Had lasik in 2000. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Wore glasses for a long time and was really tired of them. Never liked contacts.

How's your vision as of today after seven years? I'm seriously considering about lasik. I heard the technology improved over the years. How much does it cost you?

My friend stated that you need to get lasik again in the future after getting it the first time. Is that true?

For everyone with lasik, do you recommend it? If so, how much did you pay to get lasik? Thanks for your time.

#50 tiredfornow   Banned Banned   35417 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

tiredfornow

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:26 AM

1 for perfect vision.

Posted Image

#51 Panda Wizardry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2632 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Panda Wizardry

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:33 AM

Glasses, only when I use the computer, though.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#52 SithFran   Baweep granaweep ninibong CAGiversary!   1076 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

I've had glasses since third grade. 29 now. So over 20 years. I could go for Lasik but I hate things close to my eyes. Maybe after I go sky-diving this summer I can do it. Plus they said I'm so close to the top limits that I may still have to wear glasses for reading and such. Not sure if it's worth it then.

Uh... trick question... dcfox waxes and JFD hasn't sprouted nub fuzz yet.

#53 jeffreyjrose   Sporadic Gaming Addict CAGiversary!   2263 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

jeffreyjrose

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

Glasses. I wear contacts for special occasions, but working in front of a computer every day make my eyes too dry to wear them daily. Once my vision stabilizes, I want to do laser.

Ditto... exactly.
Posted Image

#54 rcannon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   416 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

Glasses but only for reading. Could get by without them but I get headaches if I do that.
"Once upon a time I could control myself' - Once by Pearl Jam

#55 JetTone   Life CAGiversary!   2759 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:12 AM

I wear glasses, but generally for words and signs that are far away. Like stuff on the whiteboard at college. I know I have needed glasses since at least my sophomore year in high school, but never did. After getting them it was a world of differences as far as my sight was concerned, I'll probably get lasik in the future, depending on the cost and other factors.

#56 Mr. Beef   7777777 CAGiversary!   8098 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

I think you should forfeit your eyesight if you sit way too close to the screen. It was my parents actually who told me not to sit so damned close, otherwise I'd have to wear glasses. Seems like sage advice.

Posted Image

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

I've done it for 5 years heavily and haven't had a huge problem, but it could be why my left eye isn't as good as it use to be. I just have strain every once in a while (not everyday) thankfully. Right now, it's just really painful.

lets put it this way-- your eyes aren't getting any healthier. strain and headaches are a sure sign that your eyes aren't enjoying all that time in front of the screen. there's no way you could keep up 12-17 hours a day without some bad side effects. especially if you keep it up for another 5 years.

#58 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

I wear glasses, but generally for words and signs that are far away. Like stuff on the whiteboard at college. I know I have needed glasses since at least my sophomore year in high school, but never did. After getting them it was a world of differences as far as my sight was concerned, I'll probably get lasik in the future, depending on the cost and other factors.

You could just sit in the front row of every class like me, to see the front. ;) Yeah, most people who got glasses that I know of, told me they couldn't believe how bad their eyes really are. I'd probably learn that myself, but I'll get around to it one day.

lets put it this way-- your eyes aren't getting any healthier. strain and headaches are a sure sign that your eyes aren't enjoying all that time in front of the screen. there's no way you could keep up 12-17 hours a day without some bad side effects. especially if you keep it up for another 5 years.

I'll try doing that for five years and prove my vision won't get worse. ;) j/k though.

#59 crazytalkx   Yes!! CAGiversary!   5590 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

crazytalkx

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

1 for perfect vision.

Likewise. Can't say I'm surprised at the results of this poll :lol:

#60 shadylane   Believe... CAGiversary!   2596 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:43 PM

i'm thinking of getting lasik surgery. anybody can give me info? i'm 20 right now and sick of glasses and contacts all together

shadylane310.png

33836.png