Have you ever skipped class/work before?

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I thought the other day that I never skipped a single class in college (I only missed a day because I was really sick, could not moved, and had to be moved to a doctor). Many people I know think I'm crazy saying they'll skip class for no apparent reason I at times. I will go to classes on all optional attendance days. I've been sick a few times with an upset stomach, really bad headache, really bad cold, etc. and still go to class. I had surgery once on my day off from classes, then I returned to classes the next day still feeling like crap after surgery. I just feel going to class is very important no matter what, and missing a class is just really bad to me.

Since I never really had a job before where I had to be somewhere at certain times, I cannot say (I usually work for someone on my own hours). But I was always on time and never took personal time off though.

If you have car trouble, get really sick, or a death in the family, that's understandable and doesn't count against you. But what I'm asking about is if you ever skipped class/work because you just didn't feel like going, or wanted to do something else.

This thread is asking if you skipped school, class, work, etc. for no good reason.

I skipped school all the time.

I didn't really get sick, so I would use my 8 (per semester) and save 1 just in case something happened.

I never skipped class in high school, and I can't think of a time I've skipped work without a semi-decent reason. However, I skipped a ton of classes in college. I wish I didn't (I probably would have learned more... and they actually cost money), but I guess I was insanely lazy.

All the time.

Once, I was in danger of failing tennis because of my tardiness. One more tardy or absent, and it was an F.

I got an A. ;)

the only time i skipped class was in college and i somewhat regret that but in most cases i didnt seeing as how i knew plenty of people in most classes and could get notes from them. hell it was so hard to go because you get the freedom of choice to go or not go so seeing as how i loved staying out late morning classes werent an option. work i dont now and cant but one job i had i used to call in occasionally but in all fairness i did alot of overtime and covered for alot of people at times.

Does using your personal time off days count as skipping, if so count me as one. I always skip class/work on my birthday. Just a little thing i do for myself to let me know how much I appreciate all that I do for myself... :)

i have skipped for many reasons, hungover after a bday, overslept, too cold to feel like walking to class, real boring class that the teacher put up a review guide online the week before a test.

I can't believe the amount of people here who have never skipped anything, kinda sad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "skip work". When it comes to work, if you have personal days that you are allotted then those are yours to take.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm not sure what you mean by "skip work". When it comes to work, if you have personal days that you are allotted then those are yours to take.[/quote]I think it's along the lines of calling in "sick" when you're not. Otherwise, vacation/sick days would apply.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm not sure what you mean by "skip work". When it comes to work, if you have personal days that you are allotted then those are yours to take.[/quote]A lot of us have vacation days and sick days... so taking a sick day without being sick would probably constitute "skipping." In which case, yes, I have. Not very often, maybe a day or two a year.

But I skipped class in college often enough. Usually strategically timed when there was really nothing useful going on - or taking the maximum days allowed in phys ed classes. I don't think I knew anyone who didn't skip a class in 4 years of college.

I skip as much as I can without being negligent to my duties at work and school.

I can never understand how people max out their sick days (to the point they recieve no further ones).. that is "sick". Go take a mental health day.. go for a walk, go read a book in the sun... It's a thing called a life, you know. If you spend all of your weeks in school or a job (esp the latter) you're just selling yourself out and cutting your experiences in life short. Just my opinion.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I can't believe the amount of people here who have never skipped anything, kinda sad.[/QUOTE]I can't believe that someone would consider it sad that some people have never skipped :roll:.
Do you feel cool because you've skipped or something? That kinda reasoning makes no sense at all.

yea i've skippped class before for no reason. usually when the teacher wasnt there i wouldnt go to the class in highschool. buti usually dont take off. i might cut my last class of the day to go home early on fridays but my teachers liked me so they didnt hold it against me, sometimes my AP bio teacher didnt even notice i was gone even though i was his best student. i've taken an entire day off when i needed time to myself cause the week wasnt going good for me, ie: computer broke down, my 360 wasnt working and other personal stuff. but i sometime when i do cut classes i have a weirdfeeling in my gut i guess.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']skipped class quite a few times in college. It was a morning class at 7:30 and I didn't really feel like going.[/QUOTE]Lol, I will never skip a 7:30am class at Purdue. I've also never been late to a 7:30am class, but I get up at 6am (or earlier) though. ;)
[quote name='Ikohn4ever']
I can't believe the amount of people here who have never skipped anything, kinda sad.[/QUOTE]I just feel that going to class is very important. If I miss a day, I might have missed something I'll need to know one day. Also, what else is there to do at the time I have class? I'm scheduled at that time, so I might as well go.

I once had a dream that I got arrested, because I missed class. Yeah, that's kind of stupid, don't ask me why I had that dream.

I've done both, but stopped when I realized I could have been making money and that I paid for my college classes.

It was fun to skip once in a while my sophomore year to play Halo 2 and eat a huge lunch.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I can't believe that someone would consider it sad that some people have never skipped :roll:.
Do you feel cool because you've skipped or something? That kinda reasoning makes no sense at all.[/QUOTE]

you can roll your eyes, but usually when i skipped class is was for something fun or just the weather was way too nice to be stuck in a stuffy classroom for an hour. In college you need to seize the day. I am not saying that you arent having fun or cool, but if you go by the book and follow the rules your whole life you probably won't have any fun or be cool.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I just feel that going to class is very important. If I miss a day, I might have missed something I'll need to know one day. Also, what else is there to do at the time I have class? I'm scheduled at that time, so I might as well go.

I once had a dream that I got arrested, because I missed class. Yeah, that's kind of stupid, don't ask me why I had that dream.[/QUOTE]

not to sound like a dick, but if you combine this with your "ewww alcohol" thread it kinda paints a picture of someone that really needs to start living. Friend of mine from high school was a straight arrow, straight As, valedictorian, when to ivy league, etc. He recently told me he wish he never put so much pressure on his life and enjoyed it more. He never really fUcked around and now he regrets it but he has a real job so it def hampers his ability to just stop and sniff the roses.

OP make sure when you are done college all your memories don't revolve around books, classes, and video games.

I miss a pretty good amount of school and work for a variety of reasons. Sleeping in and hanging out are the two main culprits. I have a good work ethic, but serious attendance problems. I remember calling in to work and school last November to play Guitar Hero II the day it came out. :lol:

Back in college in think I skipped more than I actually attended. Work wise... I've done it a couple times, but only when it's slow at work and I know I can catch up the next day.

I skip classes all the time. A lot of my professors don't take attendance and all the information is in the books, so I've had some classes where I pretty much just show up for the tests.

They were all GUR (General University Requirment) classes with information that I know I will never use again though.

What a surprise to find nerds on the internets!!!

Seriously, don't you people ever get bored doing everything by the book? When I was in college I skipped the better part of entire classes - nevermind one or two here and there. I almost always took Fridays off to start drinking at noon unless I had a lab or something I couldn't miss. Even when I was in law school working my ass off I think I may have skipped some third year classes here and there (and a ton during interview season in the second year but I don't think that counts). As for work, obviously I skip much less than when I was in college but I'm definitely guilty of "working from home" on more than one occasion. Live a little people!

The only time I "skip" work is when I have an interview elsewhere.

I'm sure I probably skipped a few classes in college, but none come to mind right away.

I skipped quite a bit, starting in middle school. I'd never skipped much, but once I got somewhat sick in sixth grade and missed a week. That, combined with the fact that sixth grade blew totally, I started missing 30+ days of school a year; it's an addiction, I'd say. Whenever I wouldn't skip in a while, and I was totally caught up on work and such, I felt like I owed it to myself to miss a day or two. Now that I work, no, I never skip it ... but I don't much regret skipping school back then.

Senior year in high school I failed all classes except English (the only one I needed to graduate). Unfortunately, my habits carried over into college and my first two years' GPA was only around 3.0...

My last year (junior) I only got A's. I still skipped classes though... for those classes I felt I could get away with it and still get A's, I did. Also, we're required to take two physical education classes at my college and I maxed out my absences in both soccer and volleyball classes :whistle2:D. I remember one day last semester I took a day off to drop acid and reset my spiritual barometer.. so to speak. I also skipped one of the days while camping out for the PS3...

I worked in a restaurant for a few years and rarely skipped. Now, I work with my dad so it's kind of hard to skip when your dad wakes you up at 6 in the morning to drive half way across the country. :p

I skip class on the regular and as for work, I once quit a job over the phone as I was going up the first hill on a roller coaster. I was supposed to be working in 5 minutes :lol:.

I do occasionally in college, but mainly due to procrastination and there is an assignment due that day or other work that needs to be done so I need to make up the time I wasted the previous night partying/playing games. I have not skipped class just for the hell of it. When I skip its to do work not play, even though I probably should have done the working instead of playing in the first place...

It doesn't happen often, I think maybe 4 times last year.

I skipped practically an entire semester of one class in college. The reason being it was a C++ intro class which I knew all the material for. The professor was Chinese and spoke english in such an accent that I could not understand a word he said. There were only 3 people that went to that class each week (out of a 30 person class), so I was not alone :).

Besides that one class that semester, I don't skip.

At my last job I missed one day of work when I couldn't talk at all. Worst case of strep throat. My current job I missed two weeks cuz I got hit by a car while I was crossing the street.

Outside of those i've never missed work.

Now ditching class... god only knows how many times i've done that. I think I went to my philosophy class 3 times last semester. Still got an A.

I often skipped school back in High School and Middle School because I just didn't feel like going or had better things to do.

My job I'd never skip unless I was actually sick, and if I did it was rare.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I can't believe that someone would consider it sad that some people have never skipped :roll:.
Do you feel cool because you've skipped or something? That kinda reasoning makes no sense at all.[/QUOTE]
There's a reason why they made a movie called Ferris Bueller's Day Off and didn't make one called Ferris Bueller Worked Through Lunch.

I might not feel cool for having skipped, but I'm one up on you for having spent a day in the sun with my kids while you listened to the florescent lights hum.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']I can't believe the amount of people here who have never skipped anything, kinda sad.[/QUOTE]
I just feel that going to class is very important. If I miss a day, I might have missed something I'll need to know one day.[/QUOTE]
Trust me, 95% of the stuff you are being taught is unimportant and will never be used.

This is from someone with 2 different High Honours degrees who spent the majority of his post-secondary time majoring in NHL'94 and Bomberman.

[quote name='Fanboy']Trust me, 95% of the stuff you are being taught is unimportant and will never be used.

This is from someone with 2 different High Honours degrees who spent the majority of his post-secondary time majoring in NHL'94 and Bomberman.[/quote]

I'll second this. I majored in NHL'94 (like just about everyone did at that time) and Mortal Kombat II when I was in college and I'm doing just fine. I can't remember 99% of what I learned.

Ive already forgotten most of the stuff i learned last year in college, in which btw that year was the year i skipped the most classes just cuz i felt like it.

For me its more tempting to skip classes in college cuz
1. Its usually not manditory to show up to get an A
2. The material you learn in class usually come straight from the text they make you buy.
3. Its college, and you're dorming with your buddies, why go to class?

Oh and i would never skip work for no reason. They pay you for a reason afterall. I rather use my sick days for real Emergencies (like SSBB release dates ;) ).

I would usually skip class if it was a work day and the class was in the morning. I would just sleep in and go to school later and work from the afternoon on. My last year of college i skipped a lot, but only one class. It was fucking boring and if I went I usually fell asleep, so it wasn't really worth it to go. I would just read the book later and find out what the teacher covered.

bread's done
Back