* * * * * 1 votes

Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

#1 Tybee   Rowsdower! CAGiversary!   4105 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

Guess it's about time we create an official repository for all Super Mario Galaxy knowledge.

EDIT: Here's the actual, really for real box art:

Posted Image

Also, IGN just posted new hands on impressions from Leipzig:

http://wii.ign.com/a...5/815428p1.html

Apparently they're showing the same levels that were shown at previous demonstrations, but there was a secret code you could enter that unlocked two as yet unrevealed levels: Beach Bowl Galaxy and Cookie Factory Galaxy.

Fearing for our lives, we jumped into Cookie Factory as fast as we could, hoping Nintendo's PR handlers hadn't noticed. As you might expect, the level is made up of platforming over different types of chocolate, caramel, and mint. This was some of the most classic platforming we've seen in Galaxy, yet. A trail led us through a tunnel where the ground was constantly moving and we had to proceed while maneuvering gaps and electric buzzers. Eventually we made it out into the open where a series of large cakes hovered in air. We made our way over the trail of desserts towards a large cake at the end -- but that was when a Nintendo representative came over and reset the Wii. We were warned that we would be removed from the press lounge if we were caught playing the "secret sixth level" again.

#2 the3rdkey   Foot Cheap Ass CAGiversary!   1870 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

damn son make that boxart smallers!

#3 Tybee   Rowsdower! CAGiversary!   4105 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

damn son make that boxart smallers!

My bad...fixed

#4 the3rdkey   Foot Cheap Ass CAGiversary!   1870 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

My bad...fixed

Thanks and this is the best game that is coming out this year imo.

#5 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22421 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thanks and this is the best game that is coming out this year imo.

I hope so. It feels like AGES since I was "wowed" by a true Mario platformer... 11 years I guess.

#6 b3b0p   Where's r0ckst34dy? CAGiversary!   3654 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

Did I miss it? Is there a release date yet?

#7 the3rdkey   Foot Cheap Ass CAGiversary!   1870 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

I hope so. It feels like AGES since I was "wowed" by a true Mario platformer... 11 years I guess.

Mario 64 still owns you.

#8 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

Did I miss it? Is there a release date yet?

Yep.

November 12.

#9 buttle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   544 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

yea, this is the game i'm most looking forward to this year. this is one of the few games where i really enjoy searching out every little corner of the world (or galaxy). i always love the search for every star or every blue coin. i'm going to know this game backwards and forwards.

my favorite part of sunshine was the "hidden levels." where your water pack would get taken away and you just had to get to the end without falling off the many spinning moving twisting dissappearing platforms. i'm hoping they bring some more of that style of play back.

#10 Tybee   Rowsdower! CAGiversary!   4105 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

my favorite part of sunshine was the "hidden levels." where your water pack would get taken away and you just had to get to the end without falling off the many spinning moving twisting dissappearing platforms. i'm hoping they bring some more of that style of play back.

The description of that cookie level sounds like this exactly.

#11 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16520 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

17 years for me. Yoshi's Island was... interesting when I first played it, and years late to the party, Mario 64 does nothing for me. So Super Mario World is what I will be comparing Galaxy to.

#12 Plinko   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1282 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

I've NEVER been more frustrated by a game than I was with the Mario Sunshine levels where you had no water pack. Had the game controlled better, they would have been perfect.

#13 Ace Harding: Private Eye   visual shock! CAGiversary!   235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Ace Harding: Private Eye

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

17 years for me. Yoshi's Island was... interesting when I first played it, and years late to the party, Mario 64 does nothing for me. So Super Mario World is what I will be comparing Galaxy to.

same here...not big on the mario 64.

#14 MisterHand   Talk to the Hand! CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

MisterHand

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

I for one can't wait for the official thread to appear on November 12!

#15 Tybee   Rowsdower! CAGiversary!   4105 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

I for one can't wait for the official thread to appear on November 12!

Fixed.

Smartass.

#16 buttle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   544 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

I've NEVER been more frustrated by a game than I was with the Mario Sunshine levels where you had no water pack. Had the game controlled better, they would have been perfect.

so funny. to me, sunshine had the best control of any game i ever played. i felt like i could do anything with mario i wanted. don't get me wrong. those hidden levels were hard. and i died a lot before making it to the end. but i enjoyed the hell out of it.

#17 buttle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   544 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

The description of that cookie level sounds like this exactly.

yea, that got me really excited.

#18 tayaf69   I want to change my name CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

Sunshine lacked diversity to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but SMW and SM64 were two of my favorite games ever. I really don't think Galaxy will compare to either, simply because I still don't believe the levels will be that large (I've seen enough larger planets, but I want huge ones). Still, this will have all the elements such as fire and ice levels, so the potential is there...

#19 A Happy Panda   not as happy as you think CAGiversary!   5983 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

A Happy Panda

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Is it supposed to look like Mario slipped on those stars and is about to fall on his ass?

And yes, I know it's because he's in space. I'm just commenting.

#20 pittpizza   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2644 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

pittpizza

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

Mario 64 does nothing for me.

This I dont understand. I loved that game, loved sunshine and will surely love galaxy.

#21 munch   la tête de CAG CAGiversary!   19476 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

This I dont understand. I loved that game, loved sunshine and will surely love galaxy.

I think he just recently played Mario 64 after playing a lot of other 3d platformers. I can totally see what he means.

#22 PhoenixT   This space reserved CAGiversary!   602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

PhoenixT

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

I'm not really surprised that some people didn't love mario 64. I thought it was a solid platformer but with the way the N64 releases were it was the only thing I had to play for like 3 months and by the end of that time it had left a pretty ugly taste in my mouth given how much ridiculous time I spent trying to get all 120 stars and never achieved it :/. Not to mention save mario sunshine the little pudgy plummers always been a little annoying to stop when you "really" need him to. I can't count the number of times I slid off into lava only to hop around like 3 to 4 times trying to land out of it *shakes fist* get in the gym you pudgy plummer! >_<

#23 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Mario 64 was great in the day, but like nearly all N64 games, it just didn't age well.

#24 trq   I *am* the reinforcements CAGiversary!   2365 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

I couldn't agree more. While I liked Sunshine, it lacked the diversity of earlier games, so I can't say I loved it ... except the bits sans waterpack. The ’pack was too much of a safety net for most of the game. Miss a jump? The water'll let you hover back into place. But those levels, with the a capella Mario theme? He's like a fat Italian ninja, and the Prince of Persia and Ninja Gaiden's Ryu would have cried at some of that stuff Mario had to do.

I don't get all the hate on Mario 64, either. It was only pretty much the best 3D platformer, for what? Six, seven years? I know people around here have some weird taste in games ... but et tu, Botticus?

#25 elwood731   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1304 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

elwood731

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

I don't get all the hate on Mario 64, either. It was only pretty much the best 3D platformer, for what? Six, seven years? I know people around here have some weird taste in games ... but et tu, Botticus?

Agreed. I think Mario 64 holds up remarkably well today.

#26 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16520 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

I didn't play any N64 games until well after the Cube was released. With that mindset, absolutely nothing from the N64 held up for me. I haven't played more than 5 minutes of OoT, so I'll have to see if that still has any sort of redeeming value in 2007 and beyond, but I don't expect much.

But I also didn't enjoy Sunshine, which is why all along I've been hoping Galaxy makes me enjoy 3D platforming.

#27 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

I didn't play any N64 games until well after the Cube was released. With that mindset, absolutely nothing from the N64 held up for me.

I had an N64 from it's launch, but I feel pretty much the same. Not many N64 (or PS1) games that I ever care to play again.

From rudimentary 3D game design to blurry, foggy and/or jaggy graphics not many games from that generation have held up well for me.

#28 PagingDrUgly   .... hoot! CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

PagingDrUgly

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Wow... for a little perspective, I am wondering what are people's opinions on exactly what the most revolutionary console game of the 32bit/64bit era was? Also, what generation of games did you grow up with?

-Dr. Ugly

#29 Sleepkyng   doesn't even exist any more CAGiversary!   5761 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

mario64? what was that? was that the other game besides 007 and Zelda on the 64?

anyways - super mario world was breakthrough for me, and yoshi's island was like perfection.

i await, with baited breath.

#30 WiiGame   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   695 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

that's some nice box art...