Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

I think Mario made up for the difficulty with the length for the hardcore crowd. SMG is a 20 hour game which seems insane for Mario. Plus Mario games have never been all that hard anyway.

I'm torn on this. I got all 120 stars on this game. Since I rarely ever get everything, I have to assume that this shows the game was on the easy side.

That being said, I greatly enjoyed getting almost every star. I also thought a few stars were rather difficult at the end (maybe 3-4 of them). Never truely ball busting, but a pretty deep challenge, and stars on the first and second run I thought I would never get.

That being said, the game has to be accessible to everyone. Kids today don't have to play through hard games, and likely won't. If htey can't beat something or skip it, they will likely skip the game. You just never heard stories of 4-5 year olds beating Ninja Gaiden Black (I know, an M game, but never thought it was that bad). Yet, I bet in 10 years or so, when the next crop of 15-16 year old posters are here, many of them will talk about the accomplishment they felt when they got 120 (or the 240+) stars in this game. I think that's where the true legacy of this game will live, not in the people 20+ now.

We're all calling it easy, but we've been playing games for how long now?

As a kid, Kid Icarus would have sent me crying, but today I can beat it pretty easily with a bit of patients.

Can you imagine a 6 year old doing a daredevil run or purple coin run with ease on the later levels?

I got 111 stars over break, since it's not my console/game I won't be making as much progress during the semester.

I have to say, it's an awesome game with a very well-balanced difficulty curve.

I am not sure if I prefer it to Mario Sunshine or 64, but it stands its own in the 3d Mario world.

I'd give it a B+/A-

EDIT:

Alright so I finally got 120 stars and I have to say, looking back it feels more like a B/B-

I'm going to give it a final grade of B+

There really isn't much of an incentive to replay the game, but it was a relatively fun time throughout.

[quote name='seanr1221']We're all calling it easy, but we've been playing games for how long now?

As a kid, Kid Icarus would have sent me crying, but today I can beat it pretty easily with a bit of patients.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know that that is it. Most of the hard games like Kid Icarus I could beat when I was younger, and now I can barely get through the first couple of levels before I die so much that I get frustrated and give up.

YAY for me! I just beat this Friday, February 1st (got it a launch).

That night I finished my 2nd playthrough of Mass Effect and I was thinking:

"Okay this is ridiculous, I'm obviously not going to ever get 120 stars at this rate so I should just bite the bullet and save the fuckin princess already." I fired it up, headed straight to the center of the universe, really enjoyed the platforming parts on the way to Bowser (made me dizzy like teh circular tubes in funhouses) and beat him on my second try. (First try it took me a while to figure out you had to hit the rolling bowser ball in the unprotected face area.

My girl was watching and was like "Give it to him in the FACE!"

[quote name='seanr1221']We're all calling it easy, but we've been playing games for how long now?

Can you imagine a 6 year old doing a daredevil run or purple coin run with ease on the later levels?[/quote]My skills have - if not lessened - changed. I'm a lot better at strategy games than I was when I was younger (How many strategy games were even available to me when I was younger?), but I can't do 2D platforming for shit anymore. Watching me play Dynamite Heady and Rocket Knight Adventures is not pretty, man.

mario_ost1.jpg

This little gem came in today. It's orgasmic.

Can you imagine a 6 year old doing a daredevil run or purple coin run with ease on the later levels?[/quote]

That doesn't change that fact that it's still easy.

Honestly the only people that will have problems with this game are people that just suck at games in general. My friends who rarely play video games even thought Galaxy was easy based on their skills.

If someone devotes the time needed for a game, it doesn't matter if they're hardcore or casual.

Some casual gamers can pwn me at games, despite me playing more often.

When I was 3 I was able to beat all the first 3 Mario games. When I was 6 I beat Mario 64.

Galaxy, the most easy main mario game, should be sinch for most people and even some 6 year olds especially considering it's more linear than 64.

I think Nintendo went a little overboard on the difficulty. Even nongamers could've handled a bit more. Sure, it gets difficult towards the end, but the really fun and fresh levels of the first 60 stars should be where it also gets difficult...in a satisfying way of course.

I was disappointed to discover that the bulk of difficulty came from the least amusing parts of the game.

[quote name='seanr1221']As a kid, Kid Icarus would have sent me crying, but today I can beat it pretty easily with a bit of patients.
[/quote]
Patience, or are you really a doctor?

Seriously though, Kid Icarus is still hard as fuck to me. I haven't been able to beat the first level. I was able to "easily" get all 120 in Galaxy though. Granted I had to redo some of the levels a dozen different times.

Haven't all the 3D Mario's (64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) been easy? I didn't think this was any easier than the previous two, as they were all not difficult.

[quote name='Rig']Haven't all the 3D Mario's (64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) been easy? I didn't think this was any easier than the previous two, as they were all not difficult.[/QUOTE]

Not really. 64 and Sunshine had some very hard strecheds. Mario Galaxy does as well IMO, probably just not as many hard stretches.

But I'd be hard pressed to think of a major 3D platformer that had harder parts than the most difficult parts of Mario Sunshine. And I say major just to eliminate crap like Blasto that was only hard because the controls sucked balls.

[quote name='Tybee']How'd you get it?[/QUOTE]

I "pre-ordered" it from NCSX back in November. Apparently, they sold out of their stock in only a few days, although the single CD might be still available. You could check with Play-Asia too if NCSX doesn't have anything.

[quote name='Rig']Haven't all the 3D Mario's (64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) been easy? I didn't think this was any easier than the previous two, as they were all not difficult.[/QUOTE]
I'm not that far into Galaxy, somewhere around 50 stars I think, but I'd say its much more easier than 64 and Sunshine. 64 was a first of its kind so a lot of it took some extra thinking and fancy platforming. Even flying. Sunshine had some great challenges in it as well. I'd say the games are generally on the easy side, but Galaxy just seems like stars are handed to you. It seems very simplified and fast but maybe we're just growing up ;)

[quote name='Rig']Haven't all the 3D Mario's (64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) been easy? I didn't think this was any easier than the previous two, as they were all not difficult.[/quote]

Really?

I played all 3. Maybe I just sucked or was generally not very interested in trying at Sunshine, but I found it to be the hardest. You really had to think to get to certain places in the worlds, which was something I wasn't used to in a Mario game.

64 I wouldn't say was easy, but rather closer to the perfect difficulty. You can't deny that some of those stages like the lava and desert ones take awhile to master.

With Galaxy, granted I had more fun with it than all the other 3D marios, but it was in a totally different league of simpleness. Boardering Kirby level honestly. Nothing wrong with making a game linear, but you should throw in a bit more obstacles if you want to get the right difficulty.

Sure it gets harder in the later stages, but those are the later stages. I believe its difficulty in the main parts of the game are what should count the most, and it's too easy.

It's one of the reasons why I believe the game will never be better than Super Mario Bros. 3.

I don't see how you can't see the difference honestly...

I know I'm late to the Mario Galaxy party (bought it a couple months ago but just started playing this weekend). The game is awesome! I'm up to 50 stars. Is anyone else annoyed by those stupid Wii messages you get from Toad? Every time I play then shut down my system starts glowing blue. When I get back on it's a message saying something like "Thanks for rescuing Luigi!". GAY!

PURPLE COIN STARS:

SERIOUSLY Do I have to complete one, exit to the main space station area, give that fucker 20 stars to move the comet, then go all the way back to the galaxy? That sucks having to move the comet every time.

I have 119 stars right now. Just need to get enough of those star bits to unlock the last galaxy (and get the final star).

[quote name='Rig']I have 119 stars right now. Just need to get enough of those star bits to unlock the last galaxy (and get the final star).[/quote]

I was wondering what the point was of saving up star bits. How many are required to get the last galaxy?

I think I've got nearly 8000 and I'm up to 110 stars (just got into the purple coin ones).

[quote name='Chitown021']PURPLE COIN STARS:

SERIOUSLY Do I have to complete one, exit to the main space station area, give that fucker 20 stars to move the comet, then go all the way back to the galaxy? That sucks having to move the comet every time.
[/quote]I don't think I ever even used that guy once.

I bought SMG about a week or so ago( which I adore completely and utterly). Anyway, I keep getting messages from Nintendo telling me to update my Wii, Check Mii Out channel, stuff like that. It will do that at least twice a day. It got so bad, i had to turn the slot light off. Can anybody help me turn off these annoying messages? Thanks.

Never heard of this issue before. Have you actually tried to update your system software and channels? I would assume that'll get rid of the prompts to update.

Go to the optionss of the Wii Menu....select internet and turn off WiiConnect24....that should do it.....

Why the hell is Galaxies the 2nd highest rated game?

It's a fun side game. But no where near the best gaming experience I've ever had. I don't think i'd even put it on my top 20.

[quote name='NGamer']Finally got a chance to play SMG last night. I've only got 2 stars so far, but I noticed something while I was playing...I was smiling. I am barely into this game and I am already thoroughly enjoying it. I can't wait to play some more.[/quote]
I felt that way too. And then as I completed it I realized it never gets much harder than the first couple levels. Eye candy is nice, but it gets boring with nothing challenging filling it up. Although I will say some of Super Mario Sunshine was difficult for all of the wrong reasons, it had some levels based on skill that weren't mind numbingly hard. SMG has a few levels, like Sunshine, that are hard for the wrong reasons (basically having the odds stacked against you) but they are few and far between. However, there are almost zero levels that provide a good challenge without "cheating".
Yoshi's Fruit Festival in SMS, Daredevil Bouldergeist in SMG both feel unfair and stupid. But the difference is I beat the Daredevil Bouldergeist level in SMG with a little bit of effort. Still haven't beaten that level in SMS.

In summary, I still hate Galaxy.

I beat the game with 120 stars but I have a question:

What happens if you beat it with Luigi? I'm just not motivated to collect all 120 stars again with Luigi and his "slippery" controls.

[quote name='Chitown021']I beat the game with 120 stars but I have a question:

What happens if you beat it with Luigi? I'm just not motivated to collect all 120 stars again with Luigi and his "slippery" controls.
[/QUOTE]

There's one "extra" star. It's not much really.

Old thread, I know, but how many stars do you all have? I beat the game in April or May with 60 stars and just went back to play for the first time in months after playing sporadically following my defeat of Bowser. I got 2 more stars, raising my overall total to 72. At this point, getting new stars is a chore, usually tied to comet modifiers.

How many do you guys have?

Wow, massive thread bump.

I picked this up again a month or two ago and beat it a second time.
I had played with Luigi about a year ago and had gotten 30 or so stars, but was finally able to finish it to obtain all 242 stars.

It's amazing how well it still holds up, and I do look forward to playing through some of my favorite levels again.

[quote name='Matt Young']Old thread, I know, but how many stars do you all have? I beat the game in April or May with 60 stars and just went back to play for the first time in months after playing sporadically following my defeat of Bowser. I got 2 more stars, raising my overall total to 72. At this point, getting new stars is a chore, usually tied to comet modifiers.

How many do you guys have?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Galaxy so much I immediately restarted with Luigi and played about 1/3 of the way through again. I don't know exactly but I would guess I have around 160 stars.

I beat the game and had like 103 Stars, or something similar. I've wanted to go back and get all 120 so I could
play as Luigi
and beat it again, but I don't have the time at the moment for that, as I'm working through my backlog of games. It's definitely something to do before SMG2 hits though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently beat the game getting all 120 stars or whatever to
unlock Luigi
. I played it when it first came out but only got 98 before moving on to something else. I don't think I'm going to play through it again though... are there any differences? GREAT game. Probably the best Mario platformer there is.

So I beat this game awhile back, but didn't get much more than the 60 or so required stars to fight Bowser the final time. I started a new file a couple weeks ago and am trying to get all the available stars before I fight Bowser. I'm up to 102, and I think 104 is the max you can have before Bowser, as the purple coin stages are locked until after you beat him.

The two I'm missing: blowing up the trash with bob-ombs on the Dreadnought Galaxy and that bitch daredevil comet on Melty Molten Galaxy.

The trash one, I feel like I'll beat eventually. It's just a matter of throwing the bombs in the right spots. That daredevil comet, however, is one I've played I don't know how many times and I just keep dying. I've seen a lot of people complain about the Bouldergeist daredevil level, but I had very little trouble with that. It probably took me less than five tries.

What's the problem with Melty Molten? Just move slow, hit the floaty red guys with star bits (point n shoot) then smack em.

That garbage robot is just nuts. I remember working out a strategy, not sure if it helped. Took forever.

The best tip I can offer on the garbage one is to plan out the last toss to be a chain reaction, usually the last bob-omb is in the right place, just the timer runs out before it can explode.  Also I forget if you can activate more than one bob-omb at once, but that helps speed up the rate of bob-ombs dispensed (quantity vs. quality of tosses).  It was a hard one, but I don't remember it taking more than 15 minutes for me for both Mario and Luigi.

I don't remember Melty Molten giving me much trouble, though to be honest I played that one a bunch simply for the music (one of my faves).

After I got all 242 starts on Galaxy, it really burned out my interest of booting it up again though.  Awesome game nonetheless.

Funny enough, I just beat them both today about 10 minutes apart. I don't know why Melty Molten was giving me so much trouble. I'd just get nervous when the lava started to rise and end up making a stupid move. I was pretty sick of it by the end, but hitting that spin star and flying away as the volcano erupts in the background is one of my favorite visual moments in a game ever.

The trash one, I feel like you just have to get the motion controls perfect to get the bombs to land in the right spots. If you're just barely off, you're pretty much screwed.

I know this isnt really the right thread, but I'll ask it anyway.

Has anybody actually seen Super Mario Galaxy 2 for $30 in store yet?  It was announced by Nintendo at least 2 weeks ago and my Walmart has a copy of it, but it still rings up $49.99.  Didnt Nintendo say this drop was effective immediately?

yeah, I have one ordered on Amazon, just wouldnt mind having it sooner.
but you have waited for over 3 years, a little bit more won't hurt!

and amazon has been pretty good with fulfilling oos orders (usually receive them much earlier than quoted) so it won't be long.

Forgive the necro thread post but since Nintendo had Super Mario Galaxy 2 for $10 digitally on the Wii U's eShop this BF I decided to finally jump on it. I also grabbed Super Mario Galaxy at $20, would have liked the same price for it too oh well, and looks like I'm 9 years behind. Thanks for the thread though, been doing some perusing here.

bread's done
Back