Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

[quote name='The Crotch']
2: The thing with the Loopdeswoop galaxy is going a million times slower than you think you should. I was crawling through the last 2/3s of it, and still came in at about 1:40.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went very slow for most of it, finished at like 1:46.

Still had problems. The tilt controls just don't seem tight enough, I under steer for a while, then overcompensate and oversteer. :lol: Couple that with dealing with random big ass waves and it just owned me.

But at any rate, it's done and I shouldnt' ahve any more surfing stages to get to 120 if I end up doing it. And I have no intentions on replaying it the second time any time soon even if I do get all 120.

Fantastic game though!

There's at least one part where you can jump off the track and land up way ahead. I accidentally did it once and fell right in front of the finish line. I panicked, though, and drove right off. Got it the proper way shortly thereafter.

And yeah, those waves are fucking assholes.

guys, need some help. I'm entering a contest, and I have to get most coins on any star in the deep dark galaxy. I only have until the 30th of JAN 2008

can anybody tell me which star has most coins and the best strategy to get them? thanks in advance

Loopdeswoop galaxy gave me some headaches too. But overall it was really fun. Not toooo frustrating yet you still really feel like you accomplished something.

I loved how the track got narrower adn wider in some places. Over steering and overcorrecting was definitely an issue for me as well.

Currently at 101 Stars. Are there any exceptionally easier purple coin stars to get? I'd want to get them out of the way quick before tackling the last, more difficult, purple coin stars.

Deep Dark? Well, I know that on the first two, you can shoot yourself to that second planet and get a good 50 coins on there. I don't know about the rest, though. There's plenty of underwater exploration for both of them.

Purple stars? I dunno. Just not Toy Time. That's a hard fucker. The haunted house one took me two tries. The Melty galaxy took me two tries. I believe Gold Leaf (or maybe Honeyhive - pretty much the same thing) took me a couple of tries. Everything else is simple.

Deep Dark Galaxy daredevil run is killing me, I've just died at least ten times in a row. It's such a small area you have to run around dodging all the fireballs. This might give Luigi's Purple Coins a good run for most deaths before getting the star.

Anyone else annoyed that lives reset back to 4 if you turn off the Wii? I was collecting as many coins and star bits as I could. Now I'm going to collect neither of those unless it is on accident since it apparently amounts to absolutely nothing.

[quote name='mattstockton12']Anyone else annoyed that lives reset back to 4 if you turn off the Wii? I was collecting as many coins and star bits as I could. Now I'm going to collect neither of those unless it is on accident since it apparently amounts to absolutely nothing.[/QUOTE]

No. The first time I figured it out, maybe, but since, not at all. Lives are extremely easy to earn. There are 5 in the hub world, plus Peach sends you 5 extra lives every so often, then you can gain 1-2 per galaxy you play. They add up quick.

May have been mentioned before, but did anyone else feel like this game was fairly easy, almost simple, until Toy Time Galaxy? Just feel like the difficulty immediately went up a few notches right there.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']May have been mentioned before, but did anyone else feel like this game was fairly easy, almost simple, until Toy Time Galaxy? Just feel like the difficulty immediately went up a few notches right there.[/quote]
You're just figuring this out? The game is sooo easy, but as easy as it is I still loved every second of it and I can't say that about many other games that are harder.

Honestly it didn't get hard for me until around 100 stars, and honestly that was the worst part of the game at least for me.

just beat it, but once you deffeat bowser and see the ending movie I find it hard to replay as luigi because you feel as though you beat it you know what I'm taking bout? Like why am I jumping lava pits bowsers dead!

Take some time off. If you're like me, you'll come crawling back a few months later. I recently crawled back to Fire Emblem 10. Let's go second run through!

They always come crawling back.

Finally got around to playing this.

Got 53 stars so far. (I started my file yesterday.)

Gonna try and get as many as I possibly can before Friday, as that's when I'm headed back to school.

Finished this over the weekend. I was expecting a much higher challenge towards the end the way it has been talked up. Got 119 of them with little to no trouble at all. The only one that gave me problems was the Daredevil Comet on the lava planet. Even that one wasn't that bad. Just took about 30 minutes of retries.

I was expecting Luigi's Purple Coins to be a nightmare but after a few deaths and finally realizing there are 50 extra coins on the map and that you don't have to get them all, I finished it in another couple tries.

That being said I went back and finished Ratchet & Clank the other day which also lets you continue on after finishing it, but Mario keeps drawing me back. I started over last night with Luigi. I'm not a big fan of how he controls, but I'm definitely going for the full 240. Is there a special ending or something for doing so?

[quote name='CombatCraig']102 Stars...Bowser's next

fuck the Loopdeeloop Galaxy[/QUOTE]

There seems to be some serious hatred towards this level. It was one of my favorites.

I think there's no special "ending" , but there is an extra "galaxy area" to play. Someone who's actually done it can fill you in more if you don't mind it being spoiled for you.

[quote name='Corvin']Finished this over the weekend. I was expecting a much higher challenge towards the end the way it has been talked up. Got 119 of them with little to no trouble at all. The only one that gave me problems was the Daredevil Comet on the lava planet. Even that one wasn't that bad. Just took about 30 minutes of retries.

I was expecting Luigi's Purple Coins to be a nightmare but after a few deaths and finally realizing there are 50 extra coins on the map and that you don't have to get them all, I finished it in another couple tries.

That being said I went back and finished Ratchet & Clank the other day which also lets you continue on after finishing it, but Mario keeps drawing me back. I started over last night with Luigi. I'm not a big fan of how he controls, but I'm definitely going for the full 240. Is there a special ending or something for doing so?[/quote]

I'm having all manner of hard times with the last 15 stars I need to collect (mostly purple coin stars and still trying to find a few secret stars). Can't wait to unlock Luigi, though...don't care if it's the same game with more difficult controls, still exciting to me.

I do wonder, though...does this mean there are secret stars that Mario will be holding onto in the game when you play as Luigi?

I don't mind being spoiled. :)

[quote name='CombatCraig']102 Stars...Bowser's next

fuck the Loopdeeloop Galaxy[/QUOTE]

You can get 104 before fighting Bowser. What's the other one you are missing?

My interest in this game seems to be dwindling and I don't know why... I generally like platformers and I love Mario but I haven't been able to get into this yet. Granted, I'm only at about 25 stars... maybe I've played too many platformers or something and I can't get excited.

[quote name='Corvin']I don't mind being spoiled. :)

You can get 104 before fighting Bowser. What's the other one you are missing?[/quote]

I'm not sure...I'll have to check when I get home. I could have the number wrong too

[quote name='clockworkgreen']There seems to be some serious hatred towards this level. It was one of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

Just comes down to whether you like tilt steering controls I guess. I've hated them in every game that used them, so I loathed the ray surfing stages!

I hated the "Monkey Ball" levels but all the Ray Surfing levels I finished on the first try. I pretty much aced Excite Truck though, so I'm fine with motion controls.

Cool, I dunno why but I havent beaten bowser yet.

I think its because I know that when i do finally take down that big mean and slightly beefy turtle-dinosaur, it will be the last time I ever play Galaxy. It's like I don't want it to end even though I havent touched it in weeks because I know I wont get the remaining 20 or so stars. I'm in the mid nineties now but am starting to accept that I wont get all 120.

I didnt realize until a few days ago that you can only get a certain amount until the final boss fight.

[quote name='Corvin']I started over last night with Luigi. I'm not a big fan of how he controls, but I'm definitely going for the full 240. Is there a special ending or something for doing so?[/QUOTE]

not really a "special ending" but a small reward that i think is worth it

you unlock a new coin collecting level (that's cleverly hidden on the backside of the green star trials), but all the coins are pretty much in a straight line. it's the castle, back from the beginning of the game, with all the toads having a party and cheering. the coin line leads to the entrance of the castle and a mailtoad that sends a letter to your wii mailbox. the letter is from the super mario dev team, congratulating you on completing the game. it includes a special picture.

there's one for mario and one for luigi.

oh, and there is, of course, a star at the end of the coin line... so it's actually a full 242.

[quote name='pittpizza']Cool, I dunno why but I havent beaten bowser yet.

I think its because I know that when i do finally take down that big mean and slightly beefy turtle-dinosaur, it will be the last time I ever play Galaxy. It's like I don't want it to end even though I havent touched it in weeks because I know I wont get the remaining 20 or so stars. I'm in the mid nineties now but am starting to accept that I wont get all 120.

I didnt realize until a few days ago that you can only get a certain amount until the final boss fight.[/quote]That happens to me in a lot of games. I get to the end, then realize I don't want to be at the end, so I postpone it indefinitely.

Also, ball rolling > ray surfing, a million fucking times over.

[quote name='DocRamon']not really a "special ending" but a small reward that i think is worth it

you unlock a new coin collecting level (that's cleverly hidden on the backside of the green star trials), but all the coins are pretty much in a straight line. it's the castle, back from the beginning of the game, with all the toads having a party and cheering. the coin line leads to the entrance of the castle and a mailtoad that sends a letter to your wii mailbox. the letter is from the super mario dev team, congratulating you on completing the game. it includes a special picture.

there's one for mario and one for luigi.

oh, and there is, of course, a star at the end of the coin line... so it's actually a full 242.[/QUOTE]

Sounds cool. Thanks.

Maybe second best wii game, but far from second best game of all time.
Are you going to let a website tell you what the second best game of all time is? Long live the golden age!:cold:

Mario's probably 3rd on my GOTY list, behind Mass Effect and Bioshock.

Just a phenomenal year for gaming, I've never had a harder time picking game of the year. Of what I've played, Mario, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4 and Metroid Prime 3 are all worthy GOTY candidates.

Can someone give me a comprehensive list of who has named Galaxy GotY so I can update the thread title? I know GameSpot and IGN....Who else?

[quote name='Tybee']Can someone give me a comprehensive list of who has named Galaxy GotY so I can update the thread title? I know GameSpot and IGN....Who else?[/quote]

No.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeesh. Who pissed in your Trix?[/quote]

Ha, I'm sorry. I dunno why i just posted "No." Bored I guess.

I just said no b/c I have no idea about other GOTY awards besides IGN, G4's and ??? Gamespot/Gamefaqs?? Dunno who they gave GOTY to yet or even if they have a verdict yet.

Overall I can't really complain about IGN's. It seems like blasphemy to tout IGN on CAG but... they do a good job, I always have given them alot of cred, love their reiviews, articles and boards alot.

Sorry so ornery Tybee, j/k!;)

Pittpizza, your reply to Tybee's post probably took you longer to type than it would take to find out all of the places that named Galaxy Game of the Year.

[quote name='FallMoon']Pittpizza, your reply to Tybee's post probably took you longer to type than it would take to find out all of the places that named Galaxy Game of the Year.[/quote]

I really doubt that, I can type pretty fast.

What's the max number of stars you can get BEFORE going to the final level? Rather, is going to save Peach only give you the last of the original 120?

I think I'm basically down to completing everything except some comets. And daredevil comets can kiss my ass.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']What's the max number of stars you can get BEFORE going to the final level? Rather, is going to save Peach only give you the last of the original 120?

I think I'm basically down to completing everything except some comets. And daredevil comets can kiss my ass.[/QUOTE]

Should be 104, then the final level will bring you to 105. Then the purple comets will unlock, and that is how you get the last 15 stars.

The daredevil comets aren't THAT bad... except for the one at the ghost galaxy. That one was a bitch.

I didn't have any issues with any of the daredevil levels except for the Lava board. I don't even remember the ghost galaxy one.

[quote name='Corvin']I didn't have any issues with any of the daredevil levels except for the Lava board. I don't even remember the ghost galaxy one.[/quote]

You had to fight the boss, I think. It started you right before the screen with the boss and you have to swing the bomb boos into it.

I think that was the only one I had a lot of trouble with too.

I had more trouble with the purple coins than anything, I think. Luigi's Purple Coins and the one (or were there two?) with the moving platform.

There were two with moving platforms, yeah. Dreadnought and Battlerock. Dreadnought was longer and harder, though Battlerock's coins were less... linear... Only having one go around to do things made it quite a bit harder than most other purple coin levels. I would imagine having a second person around to block the cannonballs would make things pretty easy.

And yeah, the daredevil comets were pretty easy. Potentially frustrating, but easy.

Luigi's Purple Coins, however, was a fucking god damn piece of shit son of a bitch litte prick.

[quote name='The Crotch']

Luigi's Purple Coins, however, was a fucking god damn piece of shit son of a bitch litte prick.[/QUOTE]

It's really easy once you realize...
that there are 150 coins and you don't have to get them all.

I still haven't started this game... had it since release... I just got the new Nintendo power and around midnight last night cracked it open for a few...

Noticed their write up of the 10 best moments... I scanned it quickly and now am officially making myself play this game this weekend. I have been trying to stay away from it, as I am finishing my basement..... looks like I will need to "let the mud dry" and get some play time in. I am looking forward to it.

bread's done
Back