Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Guess it's about time we create an official repository for all Super Mario Galaxy knowledge.

EDIT: Here's the actual, really for real box art:

mariogalaxybox.jpg

Also, IGN just posted new hands on impressions from Leipzig:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/815/815428p1.html

Apparently they're showing the same levels that were shown at previous demonstrations, but there was a secret code you could enter that unlocked two as yet unrevealed levels: Beach Bowl Galaxy and Cookie Factory Galaxy.

Fearing for our lives, we jumped into Cookie Factory as fast as we could, hoping Nintendo's PR handlers hadn't noticed. As you might expect, the level is made up of platforming over different types of chocolate, caramel, and mint. This was some of the most classic platforming we've seen in Galaxy, yet. A trail led us through a tunnel where the ground was constantly moving and we had to proceed while maneuvering gaps and electric buzzers. Eventually we made it out into the open where a series of large cakes hovered in air. We made our way over the trail of desserts towards a large cake at the end -- but that was when a Nintendo representative came over and reset the Wii. We were warned that we would be removed from the press lounge if we were caught playing the "secret sixth level" again.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Thanks and this is the best game that is coming out this year imo.[/quote]

I hope so. It feels like AGES since I was "wowed" by a true Mario platformer... 11 years I guess.

[quote name='javeryh']I hope so. It feels like AGES since I was "wowed" by a true Mario platformer... 11 years I guess.[/QUOTE]

Mario 64 still owns you.

yea, this is the game i'm most looking forward to this year. this is one of the few games where i really enjoy searching out every little corner of the world (or galaxy). i always love the search for every star or every blue coin. i'm going to know this game backwards and forwards.

my favorite part of sunshine was the "hidden levels." where your water pack would get taken away and you just had to get to the end without falling off the many spinning moving twisting dissappearing platforms. i'm hoping they bring some more of that style of play back.

[quote name='buttle']my favorite part of sunshine was the "hidden levels." where your water pack would get taken away and you just had to get to the end without falling off the many spinning moving twisting dissappearing platforms. i'm hoping they bring some more of that style of play back.[/quote]

The description of that cookie level sounds like this exactly.

[quote name='javeryh']I hope so. It feels like AGES since I was "wowed" by a true Mario platformer... 11 years I guess.[/quote]17 years for me. Yoshi's Island was... interesting when I first played it, and years late to the party, Mario 64 does nothing for me. So Super Mario World is what I will be comparing Galaxy to.

[quote name='buttle']

my favorite part of sunshine was the "hidden levels." where your water pack would get taken away and you just had to get to the end without falling off the many spinning moving twisting dissappearing platforms. i'm hoping they bring some more of that style of play back.[/quote]

I've NEVER been more frustrated by a game than I was with the Mario Sunshine levels where you had no water pack. Had the game controlled better, they would have been perfect.

[quote name='botticus']17 years for me. Yoshi's Island was... interesting when I first played it, and years late to the party, Mario 64 does nothing for me. So Super Mario World is what I will be comparing Galaxy to.[/quote]

same here...not big on the mario 64.

[quote name='MisterHand']I for one can't wait for the official thread to appear on November 12![/quote]

Fixed.

Smartass.

[quote name='Plinko']I've NEVER been more frustrated by a game than I was with the Mario Sunshine levels where you had no water pack. Had the game controlled better, they would have been perfect.[/QUOTE]

so funny. to me, sunshine had the best control of any game i ever played. i felt like i could do anything with mario i wanted. don't get me wrong. those hidden levels were hard. and i died a lot before making it to the end. but i enjoyed the hell out of it.

[quote name='Tybee']The description of that cookie level sounds like this exactly.[/QUOTE]

yea, that got me really excited.

Sunshine lacked diversity to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but SMW and SM64 were two of my favorite games ever. I really don't think Galaxy will compare to either, simply because I still don't believe the levels will be that large (I've seen enough larger planets, but I want huge ones). Still, this will have all the elements such as fire and ice levels, so the potential is there...

Is it supposed to look like Mario slipped on those stars and is about to fall on his ass?

And yes, I know it's because he's in space. I'm just commenting.

[quote name='botticus'] Mario 64 does nothing for me.[/quote]

This I dont understand. I loved that game, loved sunshine and will surely love galaxy.

[quote name='pittpizza']This I dont understand. I loved that game, loved sunshine and will surely love galaxy.[/QUOTE]

I think he just recently played Mario 64 after playing a lot of other 3d platformers. I can totally see what he means.

I'm not really surprised that some people didn't love mario 64. I thought it was a solid platformer but with the way the N64 releases were it was the only thing I had to play for like 3 months and by the end of that time it had left a pretty ugly taste in my mouth given how much ridiculous time I spent trying to get all 120 stars and never achieved it :/. Not to mention save mario sunshine the little pudgy plummers always been a little annoying to stop when you "really" need him to. I can't count the number of times I slid off into lava only to hop around like 3 to 4 times trying to land out of it *shakes fist* get in the gym you pudgy plummer! >_

[quote name='buttle']my favorite part of sunshine was the "hidden levels." where your water pack would get taken away and you just had to get to the end without falling off the many spinning moving twisting dissappearing platforms. i'm hoping they bring some more of that style of play back.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. While I liked Sunshine, it lacked the diversity of earlier games, so I can't say I loved it ... except the bits sans waterpack. The ’pack was too much of a safety net for most of the game. Miss a jump? The water'll let you hover back into place. But those levels, with the a capella Mario theme? He's like a fat Italian ninja, and the Prince of Persia and Ninja Gaiden's Ryu would have cried at some of that stuff Mario had to do.

I don't get all the hate on Mario 64, either. It was only pretty much the best 3D platformer, for what? Six, seven years? I know people around here have some weird taste in games ... but et tu, Botticus?

[quote name='trq']
I don't get all the hate on Mario 64, either. It was only pretty much the best 3D platformer, for what? Six, seven years? I know people around here have some weird taste in games ... but et tu, Botticus?[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I think Mario 64 holds up remarkably well today.

I didn't play any N64 games until well after the Cube was released. With that mindset, absolutely nothing from the N64 held up for me. I haven't played more than 5 minutes of OoT, so I'll have to see if that still has any sort of redeeming value in 2007 and beyond, but I don't expect much.

But I also didn't enjoy Sunshine, which is why all along I've been hoping Galaxy makes me enjoy 3D platforming.

[quote name='botticus']I didn't play any N64 games until well after the Cube was released. With that mindset, absolutely nothing from the N64 held up for me. [/QUOTE]

I had an N64 from it's launch, but I feel pretty much the same. Not many N64 (or PS1) games that I ever care to play again.

From rudimentary 3D game design to blurry, foggy and/or jaggy graphics not many games from that generation have held up well for me.

Wow... for a little perspective, I am wondering what are people's opinions on exactly what the most revolutionary console game of the 32bit/64bit era was? Also, what generation of games did you grow up with?

-Dr. Ugly

mario64? what was that? was that the other game besides 007 and Zelda on the 64?

anyways - super mario world was breakthrough for me, and yoshi's island was like perfection.

i await, with baited breath.

[quote name='PagingDrUgly']Wow... for a little perspective, I am wondering what are people's opinions on exactly what the most revolutionary console game of the 32bit/64bit era was? Also, what generation of games did you grow up with?

-Dr. Ugly[/QUOTE]

I grew up on NES/SNES/Genesis 2D gaming goodness.

Mario 64 was the most influential game of the 32/64bit generation for sure, and I loved it when it came out.

It just didn't hold up well, as pretty much none of the first gen 3D games do for me.

Just like I seldom play many NES or pre games today, I don't see myself playing games from that gen in 10 years.

I still play a lot of SNES/Genesis games as they held up well as the 2nd or 3rd gen of 2D games, and I'm sure I'll go back and play PS2/GC/X-box games as they are 2nd gen 3D games and will age better.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I grew up on NES/SNES/Genesis 2D gaming goodness.

Mario 64 was the most influential game of the 32/64bit generation for sure, and I loved it when it came out.

It just didn't hold up well, as pretty much none of the first gen 3D games do for me.

Just like I seldom play many NES or pre games today, I don't see myself playing games from that gen in 10 years.

I still play a lot of SNES/Genesis games as they held up well as the 2nd or 3rd gen of 2D games, and I'm sure I'll go back and play PS2/GC/X-box games as they are 2nd gen 3D games and will age better.[/quote]That's about how it is for me as well (not hating on Mario 64 with that strikeout, statement just doesn't apply to me).

I think in general, good 2D games hold up better than good 3D games. There's no denying that Mario 64 was one of the most influential games of its day and arguably laid the groundwork for most of the platformers that appeared thereafter across all systems. But going back, just in terms of visual appeal, something like Yoshi's Island just looks better to modern eyes, because the artistry transcends the technology.

It's also a design issue. 1st gen, 2D and 3D games were pretty simplistic.

For example, SMB (or even SMB2 and SMB3) are much more straightforward games than Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island in terms of variety, creativity, hidden stuff, puzzles etc.

Similarly, Mario 64 is lacking a bit in those areas compared to 2nd gen 3D platformers like Sly Cooper or Ratchet and Clank or Psychonaughts etc.

As time goes on in a medium (in this case 2D or 3D) developers get a better handle on things and make more complex games.

So it's not just graphics not holding up well in 1st gen games, but game designs seeming bland in comparison.

[quote name='trq']I couldn't agree more. While I liked Sunshine, it lacked the diversity of earlier games, so I can't say I loved it ... except the bits sans waterpack. The ’pack was too much of a safety net for most of the game. Miss a jump? The water'll let you hover back into place. But those levels, with the a capella Mario theme? He's like a fat Italian ninja, and the Prince of Persia and Ninja Gaiden's Ryu would have cried at some of that stuff Mario had to do.

I don't get all the hate on Mario 64, either. It was only pretty much the best 3D platformer, for what? Six, seven years? I know people around here have some weird taste in games ... but et tu, Botticus?[/QUOTE]

craziness. this talk on mario has been very interesting. i don't get the hate either. and i could be wrong. but i kind of bet that if anyone didn't care for mario64, they won't enjoy galaxy all that much either.

and i loved your description of mario in those levels. and you're right, those other characters would not have handled the levels near as well.

Keep in mind there's a difference between HATING Mario 64 and thinking it doesn't hold up super well. Just means it's not something I have much interest in playing again today.

I loved Mario 64 in the day, and have loved all the mainstream Mario games, including Sunshine.

I can't wait for Galaxy.

But I agree that someone that outright hates Mario 64 and Sunshine isn't going to change with this game.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Keep in mind there's a difference between HATING Mario 64 and thinking it doesn't hold up super well. Just means it's not something I have much interest in playing again today.

I loved Mario 64 in the day, and have loved all the mainstream Mario games, including Sunshine.

I can't wait for Galaxy.

But I agree that someone that outright hates Mario 64 and Sunshine isn't going to change with this game.[/QUOTE]

that's true. i've got to give in and play 64 again and see what i think. i can't bring myself to spend $10 dollars on the game when i still own a 64, but i also can't get the energy to take the 64 out of storage. someday though, i know, i'll play through it again.

I dunno about how well it holds up today, but Super Mario 64 will always have a special place in my heart as one of the few games that really amazed me when I was little. I played through it a couple times, and even got 120 stars.

The camera was sometimes frustrating, but overall I remember being blown away by everything about the game. It was actually my introduction to Mario, as we didn't have an SNES or NES (although I was too little for the NES generation, anyways).

[quote name='botticus']I didn't play any N64 games until well after the Cube was released. With that mindset, absolutely nothing from the N64 held up for me. I haven't played more than 5 minutes of OoT, so I'll have to see if that still has any sort of redeeming value in 2007 and beyond, but I don't expect much.

But I also didn't enjoy Sunshine, which is why all along I've been hoping Galaxy makes me enjoy 3D platforming.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on the first paragraph (except for not even putting 5 minutes into the N64 Zeldas), but not the second. Super Mario Sunshine was one of the first "modern" console video games I played and I was blown away.

For the guy asking what people grew up with - Atari here... I dropped console gaming after the Colecovision and went to computers, though I was never a huge gamer even on the Mac (or later, PC) - mostly the occasional dungeon crawler and strategy game. I hated the shallowness of console stuff (no saves at the time, just running through the same game to get high scores). So I skipped NES/SNES/N64/PS1, etc until I got a GC in 2003. (I did, and still do, have an NES that I played for all of a month when I was laid up with a knee injury. My girlfriend at the time bought it for me, so I did play a bit of the original SMB and Zelda II and a couple of other games. As soon as I was mobile I never touched the thing again so I guess I wasn't impressed ;))

I did enjoy playing Mario 64 on the Wii though. I don't really know what other console games were like when it came out so I don't appreciate the history I suppose. But it is still a fun game and my kids still like to play it every so often (and the Wii makes that so easy). I think it controls horribly compared to SMS though ;). That would be my biggest complaint with it.

Anyway, regardless, I am highly looking forward to Mario Galaxy and have had it preordered since nearly the first day it was available at EB. It would be pretty tough to come up with many other "sure thing" games this far in advance. I have no doubts that it will be a great game.

This longwinded post serves as my "tagged for later" marker ;).

[quote name='spiwak']I dunno about how well it holds up today, but Super Mario 64 will always have a special place in my heart as one of the few games that really amazed me when I was little. I played through it a couple times, and even got 120 stars.

The camera was sometimes frustrating, but overall I remember being blown away by everything about the game. It was actually my introduction to Mario, as we didn't have an SNES or NES (although I was too little for the NES generation, anyways).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, age probably has something to do with it. I was super impressed wit hthe game, and got all 120 etc.

But I was 18 when it came out, so it probably wasn't as magical an experience for me as it was for you, since I'd grown up on the NES and then SNES.

[quote name='spiwak']I dunno about how well it holds up today, but Super Mario 64 will always have a special place in my heart as one of the few games that really amazed me when I was little. I played through it a couple times, and even got 120 stars.

The camera was sometimes frustrating, but overall I remember being blown away by everything about the game. It was actually my introduction to Mario, as we didn't have an SNES or NES (although I was too little for the NES generation, anyways).[/QUOTE]

i've got to make a comment on the camera. i remember the moment when i realized that i was responsible for the camera and i instantly thought. okay that's part of the challenge of the game. and i enjoyed the challenge. it never occurred to me that the developers should have made a better camera. i just didn't think about stuff like that back then. but it didn't take me long to perfect controlling the camera. and i really did enjoy the control.

do we know how galaxy's camera works. do we have any control. or is it completely automated.

[quote name='buttle']
do we know how galaxy's camera works. do we have any control. or is it completely automated.[/QUOTE]

I imagine it will be like Zelda's. Automated with a button to center.

Not really a way to have control of the camera without having 2 analog sticks.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Is it supposed to look like Mario slipped on those stars and is about to fall on his ass?

And yes, I know it's because he's in space. I'm just commenting.[/QUOTE]
To me, it looks very similar to the Mario DDR cover.

I don't know why he's breakdancing in space.

EDIT: Just saw the new one, much better.

bread's done
Back