Evan Ramsey blames video games (specifically Doom) for school shootings

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I watched this on Anderson Cooper AC360 last night (on CNN):

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0710/10/acd.01.html

COOPER: Well, four wounded by gunfire at a high school in Cleveland before the shooter, a student there, killed himself.

Now, we may never fully know why he did what he did today. The same can be said for Dylan Klebold and all the other shooters who have ultimately turned the guns on themselves.

In the case of Evan Ramsey, however, the answers come from the killer himself. Ten years ago, 16-year-old Evan entered his high school in Bethel, Alaska. He pulled out a .12-gauge shotgun and he murdered a student and the principal.

Today, he's serving a prison sentence of 198 years at the Florence Corrections Facility in Arizona, where I met with him face to face.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE) COOPER: Let's just start from the day. How long in advance -- when did you start planning it? How long in advance of the shooting did you actually seriously start planning it?

EVAN RAMSEY, CONVICTED SCHOOL SHOOTER: About two weeks.

COOPER: What was the initial thought? I mean, when you first thought of it, what was the idea?

RAMSEY: I told myself I have to do something to get everybody to leave me alone. The first thing -- that thought that came to mind, and I took it and ran with it.

COOPER: To leave you alone because they had been picking on you?

RAMSEY: Yes.

COOPER: How were they picking on you?

RAMSEY: I have gotten beat up. I have been spit on, and I have been called names. I have had things thrown at me.

COOPER: When you walked into the school in the morning with that gun, did you have a list in your head of who you wanted to get, who you wanted to kill?

RAMSEY: There was a list of people that I wanted to shoot at. Keep in mind that I didn't understand how life worked at the time. I didn't know that, when you shoot somebody, they don't just get back up.

COOPER: What do you mean?

RAMSEY: I did not understand that if I -- like using myself in using an example, if I pull out a gun and shoot you, there's a good chance that you're not getting back up. You're going to bleed to death and die either right there or on the way to the hospital. And that part of reality didn't click, for whatever reason.

COOPER: I don't know. I think it's just probably hard for some people to believe that you didn't know, you know, dead is dead.

RAMSEY: I -- I based a lot of my knowledge solely on video games.

You shoot a guy in "Doom," and he gets back up. You have got to shoot the things in "Doom" eight or nine times before it dies. And I went with that concept on -- with -- from the video game and added it to life.

COOPER: What did it feel like to pull the trigger?

RAMSEY: I'm going to get what I want. These people -- I'm going to scare these people away. Nobody's going to pick on me. There won't be any more verbal or physical abuse from anybody.

COOPER: So, it felt like relief?

RAMSEY: Yes. There was great relief.

COOPER: What do you want people to know?

RAMSEY: What kids are going through, it's not that bad. I saw my treatment as so bad.

If I would have had somebody to sit down with and say, it's not that bad, you don't have to react this way, there's other means, that it might help somebody. It can always be worse, and it's always going to get better.

One day somebody will figure out that the majority of wars and murder of course happened before video games, TV, and recorded music.

I guess the lesson here is....

Make sure you shoot something 8 or 9 times before you move on to the next cause you never know if it will pop back up and lower your health.

[quote name='TFN']I guess the lesson here is....

Make sure you shoot something 8 or 9 times before you move on to the next cause you never know if it will pop back up and lower your health.[/quote]

Unless you are aiming at 50 Cent.

/obvious terrible joke

He must really suck at video games if...

Oh god I can't even finish it. School shootings terrify me actually.

RAMSEY: I told myself I have to do something to get everybody to leave me alone. The first thing -- that thought that came to mind, and I took it and ran with it.

COOPER: To leave you alone because they had been picking on you?

RAMSEY: Yes.

COOPER: How were they picking on you?

RAMSEY: I have gotten beat up. I have been spit on, and I have been called names. I have had things thrown at me.

... and there you have it folks, the REAL reason for school violence.

Its not video games, its harassment, plain and simple. There's a reason you never see the popular kids shooting up the schools. Its never the quarterback of the football team, its the goth or the nerd who gets tormented in class every day of the week.

You'd think kids in high school would fucking learn by now that no matter how good it makes you feel, you don't continuously torment other kids. You can only push people so far before they snap and lose all connection with society. They just quit caring and they want to make everyone else suffer as badly as themselves.

[quote name='Strell']/obvious terrible joke

He must really suck at video games if...

Oh god I can't even finish it. School shootings terrify me actually.[/quote]

Oh come on dude. You could use your giant wang to deflect bullets.

While I agree with RvB for the most part, mob mentality is all around us.

There's a lot more to discuss to this, but really it ends up being a commentary on society-at-large.

Basically, if people were nicer and not such fuckheads, this sort of thing might be avoided.

But that's a weak argument that relies on a lot of wishful, ideal thinking.

If he had a BFG, monsters in Doom won't take 8 or 9 shots to succumb to wounds.

Obviously, developers need to develop video games where human victims die in one or two shots, and/or bleed to death shortly thereafter. Maybe then teens will know the consequences of gun violence.

[quote name='Strell']While I agree with RvB for the most part, mob mentality is all around us.

There's a lot more to discuss to this, but really it ends up being a commentary on society-at-large.

Basically, if people were nicer and not such fuckheads, this sort of thing might be avoided.

But that's a weak argument that relies on a lot of wishful, ideal thinking.[/QUOTE]
That's very true as well.

[quote name='Strell']While I agree with RvB for the most part, mob mentality is all around us.

But that's a weak argument that relies on a lot of wishful, ideal thinking.[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is a society that glorifies the asshole.

:roll: If you're 16 and you don't know that shooting someone is more then likely going to kill them, depending on where you shoot them you have issues already. I don't buy that it was Doom I believe it was because he got picked on constantly over and over until he snapped. Blaming a video game is stupid JT probably told him to say it, and he would get his sentence lowered to 150 years....

Actually, the title is very misleading. He doesn't directly blame Doom. If anything, the people who tormented him at school seemed like more of the cause of the shooting. Plus, not all 16 yr olds are going to think that shooting a guy once won't kill him becuase in a videogame ( Like Call of Duty and Rainbow Six Vegas perhaps ) it takes 4000 shots ot kill them.

Fact as is that if the kids do this and killed themselves there will be no consequences. The only way school shootings will stop is if kids stop being dicks, but that's just not going to happen. All they can do now if put a lot of security around the school incase this thing happens.

Regardless of the reason School shootings happen, we could debate that for days, does the opinion of a double murderer have any merit? The fact that Ramsey thinks games have something to do with it lends credence to the other side of the argument.

The biggets proponents of 'Videogames lead to School shootings' are opportunistic politicians, a double murder school shooter, and a nutjob lawyer from Florida. Nuff said

Whats next, do we go ask Charles Manson what he thinks?

[quote name='ananag112']RAMSEY: I -- I based a lot of my knowledge solely on video games.

You shoot a guy in "Doom," and he gets back up. You have got to shoot the things in "Doom" eight or nine times before it dies. And I went with that concept on -- with -- from the video game and added it to life.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the fact that in Doom, the characters you're shooting are DEMONS FROM HELL should have tipped him off.

Even some big animals in real can take a few shots.

Good thing no one was lying on the floor or upstairs. I mean how can Doom train anyone to do anything other than play Doom? You can't even look up or down!

It's funny how he says that no one is going to verbally or physically abuse him anymore. Rrrright, I'm sure that never happens in prison.

bread's done
Back