Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games! IN STORES! Party Game of The Season?! IGN: 7.9!

Zen Davis

Banned
mario-and-sonic-together-at-last-20070328021656883.jpg

I know there is another Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games thread but since the OP isn't really looking after that, I figured I would create another thread with updated pictures, video, and hands-on impressions.

Sega just made the far-fetched proclamation that this game would be the best selling game of the holiday season, and although I'm sure they would love for that to be true, it's most likely the game will turn out to just be the best-selling party game this side of Wii Sports this Christmas. Here is the quote from Sega.

Phil Lamb said: “This will be a leading title at Christmas. We have fully set our sights on it being the number one Wii title but are confident that this title has the potential to also achieve the top slot in the All Formats chart too.”

Sega claims the title represents the next step on from the massively successful Wii Sports, and has put in place what it describes at its “biggest ever and widest reaching media campaigns,” – which it hopes will ensure it achieves its goals.

“As sports titles go, Wii Sports was really just the tip of the iceberg,” continued Lamb. “Mario and Sonic goes way below the surface. We’ll be following Nintendo’s lead and ensuring that we are effectively hitting that universal audience of five to 95 year-olds from as many angles as possible. TV will take the lead with a massive campaign running from launch through to the new year.”
I personally expect the game to very well with the Mario name in the title and Olympic hype building up around the world (even if the Olympics aren't as importnt in the United States as they are in other places).

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVrczesWfRc[/media]

Hands-On Impressions From IGN:

We've had a chance to go hands-on with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games every month since this July, so while this may in fact be our fourth preview of the game, it's still a first for many of us that didn't have a chance to see it originally. For whatever reason both myself and Matt Casamassina haven't had a chance to play the game - being in IGN LA can be both a blessing and a curse - so though it may have been old news to some at last week's Nintendo event in San Francisco, it was my first chance to give the game a fair shake.

The best way to describe Mario & Sonic would be to Wii-ify a classic game like Track & Field for the NES. The game revolves entirely around basic motions that equate to Olympic sports, so you'll be drumming the controllers up and down to sprint, mimicking different swimming strokes during competitive, lane-based water competitions, aiming the Wii-mote's IR during skeet shooting, or physically pulling the controller back and aiming with a combination of IR and tilt in archery. As a common theme throughout the game you'll find that the experience never gets too incredibly deep, but still remains to be pretty fun in that Wii Sports or classic Track & Field way.
Remember doing this with a cow? We do.

For my playthrough last week I had a chance to play the game in both single and multiplayer scenarios, ripping through just a few of the events in order to get a feel for how Mario & Sonic would play out. There's an overarching main mode to work off of, but for our hands-on session in San Francisco it was based more on a fully-unlocked version of the game, focused mainly on multiplayer, single-event play.

For the most part these events are amazingly basic. That isn't to say they aren't fun, but if you've been going mini-game crazy on Wii already with games like Wario Ware, Rayman, Mario Party, Wii Sports, or even Carnival Games you'll have already played many of these mini-game designs in an alternate form. That doesn't keep them from being well-made or intuitive, but it does take from that "wow" factor that comes with a new style of play.

Still, some of the events were pretty entertaining, and we're interested to see how deep the game can get as you progress through the multiple difficulty levels of each event. Archery, for example, had the bow and arrow control that I instantly envisioned when picturing a motion-controlled Zelda game, as you literally pinch the controller's A and B buttons, draw back to your ear, aim by tilting the nunchuk (your bow-holding lead hand) and aiming IR for a combination of actual angle and aiming, and then finally releasing your shot. At times the motion control on the nunchuk was a bit unresponsive, floating a little more than I expected when setting up a shot, but after a slight learning curve I could nail precise shots pretty easily. And event like this hasn't been done on Wii previously, so it was a fresh experience, and a fun one at that.

A few of the other events were a bit basic for my liking, but they at least had enough production value and general presentation to keep them from feeling like some sort of slap-together cash-out design. The relay races, for example, made basic use of controller drumming, but then changed it up a bit by locking your speed and letting you get ready for the motion-based hand-off of the baton. Slam down with the Wii-mote as you near the next runner in your team and you'll transfer control from one to the other, now pedaling again to gain the lead. This mode in particular could be played co-operative as well, dividing the four runners between multiple players, so it was fun ragging on my teammate after he blew a hand-off, or having him hand out verbal abuse while I attempted to drum up to full speed as we sat comfortably in last place. If you're looking for the Wii Sports experience with a bit more diversity and presentation, Mario & Sonic will deliver.

And though the game is obviously geared toward that younger, "family play" Wii audience it still has some intelligent design backing it. You'll be able to choose from different Mario and Sonic franchise characters, each of which are divided into categories based on their speed, technique, and power. If you want a pure speed team, select characters like Sonic and Yoshi. Need power instead? Go with a character like Knuckles instead. As an added bonus - one that is in need of serious praise, as it's good to see developers getting with the program - you can also import Miis from your console to battle it out against the Nintendo and SEGA icons. Rest assured Mii Bozie and Casamassina will be pitting their skills against Mario and Sonic as soon as we get the game in-office.

On the visual side Mario & Sonic is pretty beautiful game to look at, as most of the event gameplay is simple, and can be shown off in cinematic fashion. The design still could have gone a bit farther, as you don't get too many bullet time moments or epic, swinging cameras as much as we'd like, but it's visually pleasing overall, and runs at an easy 30 frames per second throughout. Little additional animations like the ability to pump up the crowd with Wii motion should add to the fun for Wii's younger crowd, and hardcore gamers will be happy with SEGA's included 16:9 and 480p support.

We'll still need to put more time into Mario & Sonic to determine if it's really worth the cash, but from what we've played of it this week it's a far more entertaining game than we previously thought. It doesn't have a ton of depth, but the mini-games are still fun to play, even if we've seen many of them before in previous Wii designs. The archery event alone was a fun experience, as it truly used the Wii remote in a different way than we've seen anywhere else, so if there are more events in the game of that caliber Mario & Sonic could end up being a great choice for the younger crowd.

We'll have more on Mario & Sonic as we near its release, including direct-feed video and of course our final review. Until then, be sure to check out our event media in the gallery below, as we'll be updating throughout the day.
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=r58o3fe_4Vc[/media]​

Definitely has a strong chance at being the best selling party game. Absolute no chance at best selling game overall.

[quote name='Greetard']Who the hell is that cat, and why would they include her instead of Espio (just curious)?[/quote]

Are you talking about Amy Rose? She's a far bigger character than Espio in the Sonic series and she's in the top five most popular characters in the Sonic series seemingly. Those two alone make enough sense to include her as a playable cast over Espio I think.

Anyways, Espio IS in the game, but only as a referee.

I can't wait for this game. Still have wonderful memories of the olympic games for the NES years ago. I miss archery.

I think once the marketing goes into full effect, the people who helped buy Mario Party 8 will help this game do insane numbers for Christmas.

Wow, looking at some of the stats screenshots...what the hell man, Sonic is just completely useless. Full speed...and thats it. Mario gets more than half of everything. Sonic's dash and acceleration are low...WHAT? Whats does he do in all his games? Spend the 1st 3 Zones trying to get to top speed. What the hell Sega? Way to castrate yourselves right out of the gate.

[quote name='bigdaddy']

So they are changing the name to Halo 3? I think that might start some legal problems.[/quote]

I believe Halo 3 sold like a diseased syringe in Japan. I think this will do quite better on the other hand.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I don't think Eggman should be allowed at the Games.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Eggman? Bowser and Wario are pretty well known as enemies. Well, Wario not so much lately, but Bowser is pretty consistant.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']What's wrong with Eggman? Bowser and Wario are pretty well known as enemies. Well, Wario not so much lately, but Bowser is pretty consistant.[/QUOTE]
It was just a joke, bro.

[quote name='Zen Davis']You lie, liar![/QUOTE]

Seriously, I PWNED the n00b! Alright, now I'm joking.

Bacl on topic: If it plays like Wii Sports, I'll gladly eBay my copy and upgrade. Sonic's stats do look a little lame, Peach looks like she has pretty great speed and way better stats.

[quote name='Strell']When was the last time Sega was right about something?[/QUOTE]

When they made the decision to quit selling consoles.

[quote name='Puffa469']Mario vs. Sonic is the featured story on the front page of Yahoo! right now.[/quote]

I saw that a minute ago and was going to post about it.

As I posted before, this game is going to be very big. It fits the so called Wii template and it is Mario and Sonic. What more could it have going for it?

Does anyone else see the white margin area on the left of this character select screen reminiscent of the old Dreamcast game packaging template? Perhaps an homage?

chu-re.jpg

ma-re.jpg

Recodeveronicabox.jpg

[quote name='Cambot']Does anyone else see the white margin area on the right of this character select screen reminiscent of the old Dreamcast game packaging template? Perhaps an homage?

Chu_Chu_Rocket_ntsc-cdcovers_cc-fro.jpg

mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20.jpg

Recodeveronicabox.jpg
[/quote]

As said before, what the hell is up with sonics stats? Isn't he all about dashing and accelerating? Unless there is some mode where you can work up your stats, that is pathetic.

[quote name='schuerm26']As said before, what the hell is up with sonics stats? Isn't he all about dashing and accelerating? Unless there is some mode where you can work up your stats, that is pathetic.[/quote]

yeah... how the hell is his acceleration lower than mario's??

son·ic (snk)
adj.
1. Of or relating to audible sound: a sonic wave.
2. Having a speed approaching or being that of sound in air, about 1,220 kilometers (760 miles) per hour at sea level.
3. Slang Extremely exciting and fast-paced: a sonic lifestyle.

su·per·son·ic (spr-snk)
adj.
1. Having, caused by, or relating to a speed greater than the speed of sound in a given medium, especially air.
2. Of or relating to sound waves beyond human audibility.

Yet, Mario can beat him in a race? Good one.

[quote name='schuerm26']As said before, what the hell is up with sonics stats? Isn't he all about dashing and accelerating? Unless there is some mode where you can work up your stats, that is pathetic.[/quote]They might be using Sonic and the Secret Rings stats. It took a few hours of playing to accelerate to top speed in that game. :lol:

My only real hope is that there're some unlockable Mario/Sonic characters like Espio, Charmy, Donkey Kong, or Toad.

[quote name='Ryukahn']The lack of hype for this game is amazing.[/quote]

outside of the internet, i haven't really seen any wii game that's been hyped up. i've seen a metroid prime commercial once or twice and the "Wii Would Like To Play" commericials on tv 5 or 6 times, and thats it.

im getting it tommorow its not for me but i will play it tommorow wit my nephew hopefully he will like it i have mixed feelings about it i like the premise but im concerned how it will play etc

[quote name='ihadFG']So this comes out tomorrow, anyone getting it right away?[/quote]
My local EB said it was coming out Wednesday, but I will be calling tomorrow anyway since the guy I talked to originally thought this was coming out next year, and was like 'oh its this week'.

Regardless, I'll definitely have it this week and I'll have others playing it besides just me, so I can try to give some impressions and whatnot.

[quote name='ihadFG']So this comes out tomorrow, anyone getting it right away?[/quote]

I would like to but between Zack and Wiki, MLB Power Pros and RE 4 (which I have yet to finish on the Wii), I don't have the time. I also want Super Mario next week which will take up all my time.

Anyone know if this is a Nintendo game or a Sega game? I ask because Nintendo games used seem to stay high forever, while Sega games don't. Might make a difference on when I buy it.

[quote name='schuerm26']I would like to but between Zack and Wiki, MLB Power Pros and RE 4 (which I have yet to finish on the Wii), I don't have the time. I also want Super Mario next week which will take up all my time.

Anyone know if this is a Nintendo game or a Sega game? I ask because Nintendo games used seem to stay high forever, while Sega games don't. Might make a difference on when I buy it.[/QUOTE]

it's made by SEGA...wow can you believe that?

Anyways all the reviews on the final copy are coming in and reporting it is a LOT of fun and even better then Mario party for the Wii. I think Nintendo/Sega has a winner here and it's a game worth full price. Thankfully I have enough gift cards from BB to buy this :)

[quote name='Draekon']Are you talking about Amy Rose? She's a far bigger character than Espio in the Sonic series and she's in the top five most popular characters in the Sonic series seemingly. Those two alone make enough sense to include her as a playable cast over Espio I think.

Anyways, Espio IS in the game, but only as a referee.[/QUOTE]
I think he might've meant the purple cat, which is Blaze from the Sonic Rush games...

gamepro usually only writes half-asses reviews. i'll wait for ign since gamespot wii takes forever to review most games.

Reading the review would make you think the game scored higher than it actually did. The reviewer seems to really enjoy it for the most part, with really the only negative stuff being there is nothing ground-breaking. Why this reviewer expected ground-breaking gameplay from a party game is beyond me.

Also, no clue where they pulled the 7.5 for lasting appeal from. Wii Sports has easily gotten the most playtime out of any Wii game I have, and I'm fairly confident this game will replace Wii Sports, save for the occasional Golf/Bowling match. The online leaderboards should add another layer of lasting appeal as people will continually try to set the record for various events, or even just to see where you stand compared to others.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Wii Sports has easily gotten the most playtime out of any Wii game I have, and I'm fairly confident this game will replace Wii Sports, save for the occasional Golf/Bowling match. [/QUOTE]

That's just a different strokes for different folks thing. I haven't touched Wii Sports since last December.

So you should just note that the lasting appeal on this will be higher for you than it was for the reviewer, while I note that it's probably one I should skip as I'd tire of it quickly.

bread's done
Back